Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #136
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Thanks for all the beautiful DL Fantasyland pictures! I love the original Small World facade, it is so pretty and stylish. I still remember that the Birnbaum Guide which I had for my first visit in 1992 pointed out that the gold is actuall real gold, not just some paint because it keeps much better than paint.

Did you ride both sides of the Matterhorn? I think it is a wonderful coaster, even though compared to EE it lacks theming. But it is fun with the two different tracks and the very low seats.

And when I saw your Tea Party pictures, I thought just the same as you: it looks much more festive without the roof. However, in Florida weather they would have to close down the ride way too often, not only because of the wet seats. I guess the platform could also become very slippery...
I did not know that they actually used real gold for the decorations on the facade of IASM. That whole area between IASM, Matterhorn and Alice looks soooo much better than the equivalent between Snow White, Mad Hatter and Toon Town at WDW.

I did get both sides done on Matterhorn with that last ride. It's so fun with the open cars and the scenery all around you.

No doubt the Tea Party would be shut down a fair amount in Florida...but you can't beat those lanterns floating above you at night as well as the landscaping during the day time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Yay, you're still ahead of schedule. Hey, what was Han up to?

I didn't realize that the cars "race" on the Matterhorn, that looks like a great ride!
Oh yeah. When I woke up I turned to the other bed and found this.

and I thought I was having a bad morning.

If you have a group you can time it right you can both ride each side down at the same time. As it was on this day I was just happy I hadn't damaged my camera after all of the water getting on everything.
SurfinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #137
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I saw your post and started laughing and my daughter Lauren wondered what was so funny. So, after I explained your "Solo" trip and all, I showed her your post and she about died laughing. Excellent picture!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #138
zimaaaaah
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your trip report!

zimaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #139
marvali
DIS Veteran

Nice update! Have I said before I love the Matterhorn???

Nice that you kept staying ahead of the crowds and got so much done early. Too bad about Alice though.

I was wondering when I was looking at all the pictures in the update where Han was. Looks like you really wore him out, or he just can't hang any more and run on 5 hours sleep! Man, he is sleeping like a........uh......block???

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #141
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

I have enjoyed your trip report so much. You are a very funny writer with an amazing imagination! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Can't wait to try DL at Halloween time!

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #142
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I saw your post and started laughing and my daughter Lauren wondered what was so funny. So, after I explained your "Solo" trip and all, I showed her your post and she about died laughing. Excellent picture!
Thanks! Han got tired of me waking him up on his vacation so he just locked himself up overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Nice update! Have I said before I love the Matterhorn???

Nice that you kept staying ahead of the crowds and got so much done early. Too bad about Alice though.

I was wondering when I was looking at all the pictures in the update where Han was. Looks like you really wore him out, or he just can't hang any more and run on 5 hours sleep! Man, he is sleeping like a........uh......block???
He is such a lightweight when commando touring. My adventures with Alice will continue this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
What a successful morning! I agree with you totally on the Tea Cups! Those lanterns are very cool! Your trip almost has me ready to book a flight to Cali!!
Disneyland is definantly worth the trip. There is enough of a difference that a WDW vet can feel like it's a whole new experience. The differences really jump out at you and can be pleasantly surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan22 View Post
I have enjoyed your trip report so much. You are a very funny writer with an amazing imagination! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Can't wait to try DL at Halloween time!
Thank you! I try to keep things light and not dwell on the negatives. A vacation experience is what you make of it. Short of not being able to get there I believe you can leave your troubles behind at the parks.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #143
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Day 3: Part 3 - Oh Alice! You Tease.

Now that Magic Morning had finished and the park was now open to everyone it still looked like the crowds were not that bad yet. Walking back towards Alice in Wonderland I see that the ride was open again! Quickly getting in line I make the slow winding way towards the loading area.

Then after ten minutes or so, just as I made the last turn towards the end of the wait...they announce that the ride had to be closed again. Turned away again I walk back to the formerly closed off area around It's a Small World.

With the tag line of The Happiest Cruise that ever Sailed I thought it had set the bar pretty high considering that the Disney Dream was about to set sail. Still, having never experienced this in my adult life I figured for completeness sake I should go ahead and do this. After less than five minutes I stepped aboard my boat and began my journey down repetitive lyrics lane.

You start outside and cruise through a well landscaped entry area surrounded by topiaries.

I have a lot of pictures I took from inside but I found few that I really liked afterwards. You travel through many themes representing both real cultures as well as a few fantasy representations found in Disney movies.

Not too many turned out due to the people nearby this time. This is one of the few rides I have been on that I wished was a bit shorter than five minutes long. Eventually we make the final turn and go back outside into the lovely garden.

Unloading and walking over a bridge with a strategic gift shop at the end I walk back into Fantasyland once again. Looking across the way there seems to be activity at Alice. Getting my hopes up I close in and confirm that the line was open and cars were rolling by. Congratulating myself for my persistence I happily step back in line and start making my way to the front. An elderly man behind me was mentioning to someone behind them that they hoped that this time they would get on. I turned to them and mentioned this was my third attempt. All I got from them were raised eyebrows. Wondering if what I said shocked them into silence I turned and noticed a CM walking back through the line announcing that yet again the ride was shutting down.

Having been turned away by the fickle young lady named Alice I finally throw in my cards. Having rode everything else that I had wanted to this morning it was time to check out a few locations I haven't been to yet.

Big Thunder Ranch, settled between BTMRR and Fantasyland is a mixture of buffet food service, character greeting spot and activity center. At this time it was all decked out in fall colors. There are opportunities here to watch pumpkin carvers but since it was not quite lunch yet the place was deserted when I walked by.

Circling around to the front of BTMRR I see that since Frontierland had only opened up a short while ago that the wait was only around 15 minutes. Grabbing a fastpass I then head into standby to wait for another thrilling ride through the old west.

Invigorated by the misty and cool rollercoaster ride I check my watch. 8:40 a.m. My tummy is really starting to remind me that I have been neglecting it all morning and that I must do something about it soon.

Up Next: My (Magic) Kingdom for a Cup of Coffee!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #144
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinTX View Post
This is one of the few rides I have been on that I wished was a bit shorter than five minutes long.
That doesn't sound like high praise.

Quote:
I turned to them and mentioned this was my third attempt. All I got from them were raised eyebrows. Wondering if what I said shocked them into silence I turned and noticed a CM walking back through the line announcing that yet again the ride was shutting down.
Maybe their shocked silence was from the fact that they realized they had come face-to-face with "the jinx"!

Quote:

Love it!

Quote:
Invigorated by the misty and cool rollercoaster ride I check my watch. 8:40 a.m.
Wow, I'm not sure where you're going, but you're making great time.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #145
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Dumbo has water under it? Very cool!

I love the Matterhorn shot, I look forward to riding that someday--I had no idea it was a "race" type ride, which just makes me want to ride it even more!

The pic of Han made me laugh out loud!!!! Poor dude. Maybe he can join ya later in the day after he gets his rest...

You are making fantastic time, wow! I sure hope you are able to visit Alice at some point this day though...but, with all that work, will the ride even be worth it?
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #146
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Well I finally got back to your report.....last time I read & posted was prior to you going.......lol Glad I found it again!!! LVING your report & you have some awesome pictures!!!! I'm also enjoying the Hans Solo portions.....he's just dreamy & I would love for him to accompany me to the parks.......wonder if he's available next month?! Can't wait to see more.....thanx for an entertaining trip report!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #147
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Hmm...IASW looks interesting. I do like how they have the boat ride through the outside and the topiaries.

Alice is being a tease! How frustrating to get in line and wait 3 times only to be denied!!
TinksThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #148
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That doesn't sound like high praise.
I dunno. Since I have no real attachment or good memory of the ride it just isn't very magical to me. If I had been alive and went to the World's Fair or if my grandparents had taken me on it when I was younger then I'm sure my opinion would have been more positive.

Quote:
Maybe their shocked silence was from the fact that they realized they had come face-to-face with "the jinx"!
I probabaly did just ruin it for everone in the line, didn't I?

Quote:
Wow, I'm not sure where you're going, but you're making great time.
Amazing time! My plan had me riding only Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinnochio and either Alice or Matterhorn at this point. I was really pleased to also pick up Dumbo, IASW and BTMRR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Dumbo has water under it? Very cool!
It sure does. It also has the train stop behind it and other landscaping to the right of it as well. A much prettier spot than at WDW surrounded by pavement and a fence at the moment.

Quote:
I love the Matterhorn shot, I look forward to riding that someday--I had no idea it was a "race" type ride, which just makes me want to ride it even more!
It really is a unique ride. Not too much speed but the open cars and closeness to the track give an illusion of higher speed. You can also see the abominable snowman on the way unlike some other Disney mountain rollercoaster.

Quote:
The pic of Han made me laugh out loud!!!! Poor dude. Maybe he can join ya later in the day after he gets his rest...
Glad you liked it! Most of my pictures I took this morning didn't really give me a chance to put him in so I figured he was due a long rest.

Quote:
You are making fantastic time, wow! I sure hope you are able to visit Alice at some point this day though...but, with all that work, will the ride even be worth it?
No. I never did get back to Alice. You will see that my day is packed full and I...well, I don't want to give too much away. You will just have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Well I finally got back to your report.....last time I read & posted was prior to you going.......lol Glad I found it again!!! LVING your report & you have some awesome pictures!!!! I'm also enjoying the Hans Solo portions.....he's just dreamy & I would love for him to accompany me to the parks.......wonder if he's available next month?! Can't wait to see more.....thanx for an entertaining trip report!!
I'm glad you made it back! Han said that he was going to take a break after this trip. Maybe if you invite Chewie along he'll be convinced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
Hmm...IASW looks interesting. I do like how they have the boat ride through the outside and the topiaries.

Alice is being a tease! How frustrating to get in line and wait 3 times only to be denied!!
IASW is really better than the WDW version by far. I just have an aversion to hearing that song a few dozen times in a row is all.

Yes, Alice teased me and I fell for it! I really wanted to see this ride since it was another example of one without an equivalent in WDW. Well, maybe next time.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #149
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

Day 3: Part 4 - My (Magic) Kingdom for a Cup of Coffee!

Last week I left you just I as I had finished my whirlwind tour of Fantasyland and parts of Frontierland. So far everything has gone well and I have accomplished far more than I originally thought I could.

My plan at this point for the rest of the morning was to head over to DCA and enter at 9:30 a.m. Today would be the day I would see World of Color and I needed to do the early show. With the crowds I figure would be over there I needed to get in line over at the DCA entrance as early as possible.

It was approaching 9:00 a.m. and I had to admit to myself that it was high time to satisfy the growing hunger in my tummy. There was a lot left to do today and this was a good point to head back to the front of the park.

On my way back to Main Street I see the Horse Drawn Streetcar.

Figuring I'll do better time walking I skip this ride. As you can see in the next photo the crowds are still filtering into the park. Also note all of the pumpkins on the ledges and windows.

I read in a Halloween thread that there are over 300 carved pumpkins scattered throughout the park! Halfway down Main Street I arrive at my destination.

The Blue Ribbon Bakery! Mmmmm... The smell was wafting right out the open front doors. I look in and find this however.

Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The line was quite long and there were only a few servers. Trying to estimate how long it would take I step in line to see if it was moving at all. After a bit I realized I would be sitting here a very long time. Luckily, being a DisBoard reader I had a backup plan.

Continuing down Main Street I head out the front gate passing many poor unfortunate souls who were looking forward to long lines ahead them. Skipping by them (not really) I make a right turn towards the entrance to Downtown Disney.

From there it's a short walk to La Brea Bakery.

Uh! Oh! Is that a line I see spilling out the front door? It looks like my cunning plan for a quick bite has been thwarted! Or has it? Looking at the other side of the walkway I notice this little stand.

Quickly walking up to it there is hardly any wait. True it doesn't serve hot egg croissants but they do have a variety of yogurts, muffins and pastries as well as juice, coffee and milk...if at a stiff premium. Well it wouldn't be Disney if there wasn't a 200% upcharge you know. I picked up a nice sized rasberry scone and cafe americano.

It's now 9:10 and with my goodies in hand I turn around and head back to bag check. Let's see if my luck holds out as I take on DHS opening again...with much higher stakes this time.

Sorry about the short update but I figure that the next one will be chock full of info and this was a nice stopping point. TTFN!

Up Next: The DCA Marathon.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #150
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Just found your trip trport and have been laughing at the antics of your traveling companion.

BTW Disneyland normally does let you in early and do a rope drop at the end of main st so there must have been something unusual going on the day you went.

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: