Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #31
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Update Feb 2011 WAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to give everyone an update on my daughter's friend Corey.. he is at the Super Bowl!!!! He is still a patient at Walter Reed Hosp, but doing a heck of a lot better than what he was. The outlook is like 100% better. Here is a story from our local news the other day.. I am just thrilled.....

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florid...t-to-Superbowl

Wounded Cape Coral solider scores free ticket to Super Bowl
Story Created: Feb 04, 2011 at 5:16 PM America/New_York

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A wounded Cape Coral solider is granted a dream come true.

Private First Class Corey Kent has weathered a long road to recovery after suffering extreme injuries during combat in Afghanistan. But today, he's celebrating the surprise of a lifetime. He scored a top-notch ticket to the Superbowl, free of charge.

General David Petraeus selected Corey, along with four other wounded soldiers, to take a few tickets off his hands...50-yard line seats to the Superbowl. The guys are flying out to the game First Class, thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor.

Corey's stepdad, Dan Ashby, says the die-hard Packers fan is ecstatic.

"Going to the Superbowl is one thing, but going to see your team-- that's the icing on the cake," Ashby said Friday.

The trip will mark Corey's first time travelling alone outside Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, D.C. Corey's endured months of rehabilitation there after losing both legs and the fingers on one hand in combat.

"I just focus on what I'm doing on a day to day basis, try to keep all that straight and heal up as fast as I can," Kent told WINK's partners at the News-Press last month.

But taking off for the game was no easy feat. First, Corey had to convince doctors he could take care of himself for the weekend.

"Corey's like no problem, I can do that. I'll take care of the meds and whatever else I have to do. He wasn't going to let anything stand in his way on going on the trip," Ashby said.

Corey's taking in his first ever pro-football game in high style. On Saturday, he's touring the stadium, and on Sunday, he'll be cheering on Green Bay from a suite on the 50-yard line.

"I said, this isn't the way it usually works when you go to a football game, so don't get too used to this!" Ashby chuckled.

Tonight, Corey's packing up his things and preparing to fly out to the game on his own. He tells family he's ready for his first stab at independence, Superbowl-style.

"This is going to be good for him. He's going to see that he can do things on his own and he can be away from the hospital and nothing is going to happen," Ashby said.

Kent will fly out with another wounded solider at Walter Reed Hospital for the game early Saturday morning.

:thu mbsup2
Oh.. and he is a die-hard Packers fan... forgot to mention that..
He is probably having the time of his life sitting in that box right now...and he so does deserve it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now on to my DH....he on the other hand isn't doing 100%.. he is going to the ortho this week to be released as far as his shoulder goes, but he is going to be headed back to the neurosurgeon as soon as he can get an appointment. It looks like he may need that second surgery on his neck after all
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #32
quasar4legs
DIS Veteran

So thrilled that Corey is having this experience, it must be wonderful to be able to spend some time away from the hospital and the long hard slog of rehab.

Thanks so much for the update, I shall pass the news on to my mum's bible study group that continue to pray for Corey.

I am sorry that things are not going well for your husband and shall keep him in my thoughts. Big hugs to you and your family

Quasar
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: