Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

New Years Eve at WDW

Just starting to plan out my trip for marathon weekend. Yes, I know it is a little early.

Since I am doing The Goofy this year, I thought about heading down early to enjoy the parks instead of staying after the races.

I have never seen the Osborne lights or any other holiday offerings, so I figured why not.

Just wondering on ideas for New Years Eve so I can get it into my budget. Any suggestions. Must do's. Ideas.

All are greatly appreciated.

Started my official running today. 223 days to go!!!! cant wait!

Thanks

Pat

Upcoming Races...
Nov 2014 Avengers Half Marathon
Jan 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon
RENThead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Schotz
Mouseketeer

Pick a place to eat and make reservations as soon as possible. You can never book early enough for new years. WDW usually reaches capacity in at least one park by late afternoon. Planning is key.

Last year, I left epcot at 3pm to go back to the hotel for lunch, on the way back to epcot the park was at capacity meaning I could not re-enter the park. Magic Kingdom was also at capacity and the resort monorails were only operating for hotel guests.

If I could go it again, I would have brought a backpack with a quick meal and camped a table at the La Hacienda with some friends. It's a great spot to watch the new year come in. There was also a new years celebration at downtown disney, magic kingdom and all the hotels. I think epcot is the best place to watch the new year come in.

You got he right idea on planning ahead for new years at disney.
Schotz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotz View Post
Last year, I left epcot at 3pm to go back to the hotel for lunch, on the way back to epcot the park was at capacity meaning I could not re-enter the park. Magic Kingdom was also at capacity and the resort monorails were only operating for hotel guests.
We missed NYE at WDW last year (we were at DL instead) so maybe it was worse than usual. Did you ever re-enter? We usually leave around 2:00 and return at 6:00 with no issues. Many people recommend staying in the park for the whole day, but we just can't do that.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Tip -

They do the NYE fireworks at the MK on the 30th also, great way to avoid the crowds.
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
bettys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotz View Post
Pick a place to eat and make reservations as soon as possible. You can never book early enough for new years. WDW usually reaches capacity in at least one park by late afternoon. Planning is key.

If I could go it again, I would have brought a backpack with a quick meal and camped a table at the La Hacienda with some friends. It's a great spot to watch the new year come in. There was also a new years celebration at downtown disney, magic kingdom and all the hotels. I think epcot is the best place to watch the new year come in.

You got he right idea on planning ahead for new years at disney.
I agree. Plan and buy ahead! I've seen many disappointed people that show up at the gates New years even only to be turned away
bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
daleed77
Earning My Ears

I think we were lucky, but here's what happened to us two years ago on NYE.

We had dinner at the Boardwalk (Cat Cora's, I think) and finished around 10:30. Our plan was to go back to the Polynesian, where we were staying, and watch the fireworks from the beach.

We went over to EPCOT to grab the monorail back to Poly (they were checking keys). We did our little transfer and decided to ride around once see the crowds at the Magic Kingdom gates. To our surprise they were letting people in to the park. So, we jumped off and headed in. A parade had just finished and many people were leaving. We followed the end of the parade up Main Street and we were able to get to the end of the street. We stood there for an hour and had the most amazing time watching the fireworks. It's so much fun - they completely surround you with fireworks.

I don't know if this would happen again or if we were just lucky. Maybe we got farther than most since we were staying at the Polynesian. I don't know, but I'm glad it worked.

Dale
daleed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMike View Post
Tip -

They do the NYE fireworks at the MK on the 30th also, great way to avoid the crowds.
yep, MK on the 30th at poly beach, NYE at epcot drunk as can be dancing to techno in Italy :-) LOVE EPCOT on NYE since we don't have PI

zulemara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the help everyone! The bonus check at work shows up in 15 days, so I am almost to the reservation fun and all that jazz.

I think I am going to do POP Century from Dec. 29 to Jan 11th. That gives me a solid week of play time before buckling down and getting all Goofy for the Half and Full marathons on Jan 7 and 8. Recover on the 9th. One last day on the 10th, and then head home.

Love the idea of doing the fireworks early and then spending NYE at Epcot.

If anyone else has ideas, please let me know.

Upcoming Races...
Old 06-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
OrlandoMom2
Earning My Ears

DD and I were at Epcot this past New Years Eve Didn't get there until almost sun down as I had to work all day Had no problem getting in and Disney sure does things right! Masking tape down the center of walkway, CM's lined up to keep everyone moving, kiosk bars set up in a few areas on both sides so no need to block traffic flow.
Great music and dancing in China, Italy and America
They also did the "midnight" Illuminations early, to clear out the kiddies and leave to park to us lushes
Only problem for us, being last minute, we didn't have a room on property and took the scenic route home since security re-routed us that way. This year we are booked at the Beach so alot more dance'n and drink'n shall take place

just me
OrlandoMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
OrlandoMike

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMom2 View Post
Only problem for us, being last minute, we didn't have a room on property and took the scenic route home since security re-routed us that way.

Be prepared on the night of the 31st for at least an hour to get anywhere on property! Traffic is a nightmare!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
OrlandoMom2
Earning My Ears

It did take us about 45 minutes to get the normal 13 miles (as the crow flies) home via AK and Celebration but NO traffic of course I think we were the last ones out of the park that night
OrlandoMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
OrlandoMike

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMom2 View Post
It did take us about 45 minutes to get the normal 13 miles (as the crow flies) home via AK and Celebration but NO traffic of course I think we were the last ones out of the park that night
AK to Celebration would be lighter than the rest. EC, Studios, and the MK area is a nightmare! All three parks close at the exact same time.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

so am i better off trying to stay near Epcot or a monorail resort for the first few nights and then switching to POP for the rest of the trip? Or is it just one of those...it's gonna be ugly, accept it for what it is and dont let it ruin your night type of things.

Upcoming Races...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Yep. It's going to be mad busy. Understand that. Embrace it. Enjoy it and you'll have a grand time. If you go with a preconceived notion, or "must do" plan you WILL be disappointed.

NYE at WDW is outrageously good fun, but you have to take it for what it is and not try to make it into something it can't be (anything other than pure chaos).

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENThead09 View Post
so am i better off trying to stay near Epcot or a monorail resort for the first few nights and then switching to POP for the rest of the trip? Or is it just one of those...it's gonna be ugly, accept it for what it is and dont let it ruin your night type of things.
I have stayed at OKW and BWV for NYE. Of course, BWV is better for Epcot & DHS because you can just walk "home". However ... if I were spending hard cash instead of DVC points, I would stick with something more affordable than a Deluxe resort just to avoid traffic and/or long bus waits. I would personally "go with the flow" and stick with Pop Century. If you're a night owl you can head over to DHS after midnight for evening EMH. The crowds will thin by the time you're ready to go back to Pop.

Another option is booking at the Swan/Dolphin using Starwood points if you have them. I think they are 10,000 starpoints per night.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: