Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #61
slg
DIS Veteran

I've been on 4 DCL cruises and its always been called formal night. I think 3 and 4 day cruises are called dress-up nights and longer ones are formal nights.

Does anyone know for sure?

Great idea for this thread. I just got back from the baltic and was thinking of starting one myself! It'll help the time go faster until my next trip although 7 days feels too short for me now and I'm considering doing 2 alaska cruises! Call me crazy...
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #62
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I know we won't have excursions information for a while, but I was checking out each of the ports on TripAdvisor and found this that might be helpful - it's a link from one of the excursion providers that will take you to other cruiseline excursions - so you can get an idea of what types of things are typically offered, and more importantly, how much they are charging.

http://www.temscoair.com/booking/form.php is where I was looking at their Helicopter tours in both Skagway and Juneau. They said before you book, check with your cruiseline to see what they offer... that's how I came across it.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #63
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Hey MJGirl.....

Can you add the links to the first post that are being posted on here? It would be great to keep them all together rather than having to search thru all the posts looking for 'that very link you need'.
We did this for our Baltics meets thread and it made it so much easier to research the various ports and such.

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #64
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

I was snooping on Celebrity's websites for possible excursion ideas and prices and came across the following:

Quote:
SK07 - Yukon Jeep® Adventure
Travel the route of the Trail of '98 from behind the wheel of a four-wheel drive Jeep Wrangler . Your small group will set out on an adventure from Skagway into the Yukon Territory via the famous route taken by the hardy prospectors in the late 1800s. You'll be driving into the heart of the fabled gold rush legends of Robert Service while your guide in the lead vehicle will entertain you with the lore of the gold rush era by an interactive 2-way radio system. View Pitchfork Falls, Dead Horse Gulch and Tormented Valley enroute to the historic village of Carcross, Your rugged Jeep Wrangler will take you up Montana Mountain. Stop for a snack at a panoramic overlook to view shimmering lakes and majestic mountains. See the Carcross Desert, the smallest desert in the world. Route travel may vary depending on prevailing road conditions.

Participants must be at least 5 years old. All guests planning to drive must be at least 25 years old, bring a valid driver's license, and must sign a liability/insurance waiver. There are several points along this tour where driving responsibilities may be switched. Since this excursion crosses an international border all participants must bring proper international identification,
including proof of citizenship (e.g., passport). Canadian citizens may not drive the vehicles into Canada due to current Canadian regulations.
Has anyone heard of this before and have any idea what they are talking about? I find it strange that as a Canadian, I can't cross the border driving a car? Is it because I don't own the car, but I still find this strange!
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #65
LKFan
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=slg;37763269]I've been on 4 DCL cruises and its always been called formal night. I think 3 and 4 day cruises are called dress-up nights and longer ones are formal nights.

Does anyone know for sure?

[QUOTE]

The Navigator for our 5 day Double Dip said "Optional Dress Up"
LKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #66
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Hey MJGirl.....

Can you add the links to the first post that are being posted on here? It would be great to keep them all together rather than having to search thru all the posts looking for 'that very link you need'.
We did this for our Baltics meets thread and it made it so much easier to research the various ports and such.

Thanks,
Taken care of ... Great suggestion ... I'll try to keep it up-to-date
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #67
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGirl View Post
Taken care of ... Great suggestion ... I'll try to keep it up-to-date
Thanks so much, it will make things easier to find in the coming months.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #68
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

When we were on the Baltic last month, I was talking to Aimee the shopping guide and she gave me some information on the Alaska ports. There is quite a bit at cruise critic but what she did was mark some of their things and add to it. I'll try to summarize her highlights here.

Ketchikan:
She said KetchiCandies is a good place to get gifts for friends and to try the chocolate covered oreos. She said Totem Bight State Park and Saxman Native Village are both worth doing on your own. She said for authentic Alaska Totem Poles to go to Julies and tell them she sent us. She agreed with Cruise Critic about Annabelle's Keg and Chowder House being the best restaurant in town. And she said be sure to see the misty fjords.

Skagway: The White Pass is a "must" and that just walking into town you will be able to see the salmon.

Juneau: She said Mendenhall Glacier is worth seeing. And dog sledding is worth "every penny." She said to try the Crab Roll at Tracy's King Crab Shack and her note says "It will change your life." And that the Zen Restaurant is worth the cab ride.

So there you go - from Aimee the shopping guide on DCL's Baltic cruise She said she's been to Alaska a few times and she put that together for me just after a casual conversation about Alaska - she saw me exchanging money and called me over to give me the info.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #69
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the helpful information Cindy. I have updated the first post with most of it, as well as included the links. I can't wait to visit the candy store !!!

Mary Jane
Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #70
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Mary Jane - thanks for linking the locations - and keeping it together is sure helpful! I'm so excited about planning this trip!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #71
nemofans
DIS Veteran

This thread is wonderful! We don't plan on taking the Alaskan cruise for a few years yet, but I'm always in planning mode.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 92 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #72
trekkie518
Mouseketeer

Anybody else curious what shows and dinners we are going to have on the cruise. I keep checking to see if there is any more info.

Me DH (DS19) Jeremy (DS18) Matt Charity(DD21) and John (DDFiance22)
trekkie518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #73
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie518 View Post
Anybody else curious what shows and dinners we are going to have on the cruise. I keep checking to see if there is any more info.
I believe we will have the Villians show, but not a hundred percent sure! Probably have a special Alaskan meal with Salmon, but don't quote me

On another note, found an interesting Zip Line adventure in Ketchikan... The link is here. I've posted it on the first page as well!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #74
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Airfare

DH and I are B2B April/May cruises. I called DCL to get an idea on airfare and I was pleasantly surprised that their fare was lower than I have been able to find. Of course we have two one ways! Going into Lax and out of Vancouver from Richmond VA ended up at $706 per person including transfers. We can not leave for the cruise unil debarcation day due to DH's work schedule so felt we better book with DCL so we have the guarantee to the ship.
Almost done with our Baltic scrapebook and suffering a sever case of bronchitus but actually beginning to get excited about next year!
Sue
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #75
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine

Does anyone know if the kayaking excursions are too strenuous for a 6 year old. I see that the minimum age is 6 but I wonder if my 6yo girl will be even able to lift a paddle, let alone use it to kayak.

Thanks! Katherine

SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska cruise tours

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: