Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #46
mmmears
DIS Veteran

This is a great thread -- thanks for starting it!!! I'm looking forward to reading lots of great information here.

As for the Ketchikan timing, the June 14th itinerary lists a 10:30 arrival time.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #47
disney minnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As far as the Ketchikan arrival time goes; I'm on the May 31 sailing and the documents from my TA list a 1:30 p.m. arrival time, with 7:30 departure.
My TA confirmation for the May 31 cruise says that we arrive at 10:30. I guess I need to call and see which is corret.
disney minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #48
smb6
DIS Veteran

The Disney website lists Ketchikan has a possible arrival of 10:30 or 1:30- I guess depending on travel time. I think the bottom line is, they will get us there as quickly as they can, but we should not plan any excursions before 1:30 "just in case". OR maybe they will firm up the time before we set sail
smb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #49
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGirl View Post
Just read your trip report ... Sounds like a fantastic trip! Isn't ABD the best! I've done London & Paris and Backstage Magic!
It *was* fantastic! I've taken a Princess cruisetour, also. I just *love* Alaska! And yes, ABD *IS* the best. I've done Southwest Splendors, the ABD/DCL Med Cruise, and, of course, Alaska. I'm thinking of doing the London & Paris trip next year. My biggest problem should be deciding which ABD trip to take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb6 View Post
The Disney website lists Ketchikan has a possible arrival of 10:30 or 1:30- I guess depending on travel time. I think the bottom line is, they will get us there as quickly as they can, but we should not plan any excursions before 1:30 "just in case". OR maybe they will firm up the time before we set sail
No, DCL will give you a specific time for each individual sailing. You will know well in advance which time your particular sailing will arrive in Ketchikan (barring unforseen circumstances). They probably have to vary the route to get from Juneau to Ketchikan depending on the time of year, and one route is less direct & takes longer. Or perhaps they couldn't get an early berth at the port for some of the days. Since they are the "new kids" on the block, they probably have to settle for what they can get.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #50
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

How about a little packing help for Alaska from those of you with experience? I have heard weather can vary from shorts/capris type weather to COLD... So I know layers will be key... I am wondering if we need to pack our big warm jackets (i.e. the ones we take on ski/snow vacations) or if layers with a fleece and a thinner rain jacket wil be adequate?? Those big fat jackets will take up our entire suitcase I'm afraid... And I am all about packing light... Suggetsions? Thanks so much!
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #51
aquamindy
Earning My Ears

I did an Alaska cruise in 2001 or 2002 on Princess. You'll want to pack for layers. Some times you'll want shorts and t-shirt. Mostly pants, with a shirt, jacket or sweatshirt.

The train ride is not to be missed. A helicopter trip is well worth the money, especially if you go out to a glacier to walk around on. Skip the Salmon Bake land options. All the ships go to the same ones and it's over priced and over cooked.
aquamindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #52
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCruiser2008 View Post
How about a little packing help for Alaska from those of you with experience? I have heard weather can vary from shorts/capris type weather to COLD... So I know layers will be key... I am wondering if we need to pack our big warm jackets (i.e. the ones we take on ski/snow vacations) or if layers with a fleece and a thinner rain jacket wil be adequate?? Those big fat jackets will take up our entire suitcase I'm afraid... And I am all about packing light... Suggetsions? Thanks so much!
Layers, definitely. I took one of those big fat jackets, and never touched it. I wore a light fleece under a gortex rain jacket, and that was perfect. Remember to bring gloves & a hat (or at least something to cover your ears) for the Tracy Arm day, as it can get pretty chilly on deck while glacier cruising.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #53
bluemoon1070
Mouseketeer

Question August 2011 Alaskan Cruise Rates

I figured this may be the best place to post this question. My Dh and my parents have decided to book the August 3- 2011 Alaskan cruise. What I am struggling with if whether we should book it now or wait until our December trip and book onboard. I am worried that the price may increase over the discount we would receive and that we will still pay more in December even with the rebooking discounts. Any help would be great!!!
12/09 WL, BLT, 3 night Wonder, AKL
5/10 Hilton DTD
9/10 OKW
12/10 BWV, 7 night Eastern
8/11 DLH-CA, GCV-CA, PP-CA
11/11 HHI, OKW
7/12 HHI
9/12 5 Night Magic to Canada
12/12 HHI
1/13 BLT, DVC Member Cruise on Dream
12/13 7 Night Western on Fantasy
bluemoon1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #54
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1070 View Post
I figured this may be the best place to post this question. My Dh and my parents have decided to book the August 3- 2011 Alaskan cruise. What I am struggling with if whether we should book it now or wait until our December trip and book onboard. I am worried that the price may increase over the discount we would receive and that we will still pay more in December even with the rebooking discounts. Any help would be great!!!
Book it now. If the price goes up you can compare which is better - the new price with a 10% discount and onboard credit, or the price you have now. You can choose which to keep and you win either way.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #55
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

It is Aug 2 by the way. That is the one I am going on with my wife and our parents. Join our facebook group if you are joining us. Or send me a PM and we will get you all set up with our group!
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #56
bluemoon1070
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
It is Aug 2 by the way. That is the one I am going on with my wife and our parents. Join our facebook group if you are joining us. Or send me a PM and we will get you all set up with our group!

I actually meant to write 30 and not 3. Sorry! So I can book now and then if the onboard option is better I can book it on the ship and transfer the payments to the new reservation?
12/09 WL, BLT, 3 night Wonder, AKL
5/10 Hilton DTD
9/10 OKW
12/10 BWV, 7 night Eastern
8/11 DLH-CA, GCV-CA, PP-CA
11/11 HHI, OKW
7/12 HHI
9/12 5 Night Magic to Canada
12/12 HHI
1/13 BLT, DVC Member Cruise on Dream
12/13 7 Night Western on Fantasy
bluemoon1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #57
trekkie518
Mouseketeer

Does anybody have any ideas on formalwear rental? It looks like Cruiseline Formal operates out of Vancouver too, but they don't list the Disney Wonder anywhere. Is there a place in Vancouver that would work with you?

Just curious, still have 38 weeks, but would like to know if we could use a service, or just better to buy a new suit for DH.

Me DH (DS19) Jeremy (DS18) Matt Charity(DD21) and John (DDFiance22)
trekkie518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #58
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1070 View Post
I actually meant to write 30 and not 3. Sorry! So I can book now and then if the onboard option is better I can book it on the ship and transfer the payments to the new reservation?
Yes, that is what you can do.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #59
vatchr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie518 View Post
Does anybody have any ideas on formalwear rental? It looks like Cruiseline Formal operates out of Vancouver too, but they don't list the Disney Wonder anywhere. Is there a place in Vancouver that would work with you?

Just curious, still have 38 weeks, but would like to know if we could use a service, or just better to buy a new suit for DH.
I was wondering the same thing.

June, 2006 - WL ...June, 2007 - WL ..July, 2008 - DCL 4 Day Wonder with 3 nights at WL before...April, 2009 DCL 3 Night Wonder...October, 2009 - WL and MNSSHP...July, 2010 4 nights at WL...Aug, 2011 7 Night Wonder to Alaska...

Read our July, 2008 DCL trip report here:http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1919252
vatchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #60
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie518 View Post
Every Disney Cruise I've been on has a formal night. It's not required to dress up, but we do, because it's one of the few times we get to..
On the Disney Criuses we have been on, it's not called Formal Night - it's Dress-up Night which to us means the difference between wearing tuxes/gowns and ties/dressy casual.

We're cruising AK Aug 30 - Sept 6.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska cruise tours

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: