Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

yes, Kate you DO look young!!!!! not to worry....you'll thank your lucky stars when you get to be MY age!!!!

loving your report so far!!

(you're a better man than i am....wish i'd made some notes...
no chance at a trip report now....i don't remember about 95% of it already)...
Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
Booknut
I couldn't figure out why people would choose to put that down

Trip sounds fab, looking forward to reading more and finding out about your degree - many congrats

2005 WDW Offsite, 2006 WDW AKL/POFQ, 2008 DLP Santa Fe, 2009 DLP Hotel New York, 2012 DLP Hotel L'Elysee

Booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Stressful start great report and pics
Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

Day 2- From London to Luau!

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their wonderful supportive comments so far! I hope I won’t disappoint! Again, today is a bit low on pictures, sorry!

We set our alarm at Sofitel the night before at 8am, ready to be up and out by 8.45/ 9am so we could get to the airport check-in with time to spare. In fact we had already packed and checked out before 8.30, not before I took my travel sickness tablets for the flights. Now, I know I am not particularly travel sick, it is the anxiety more than anything that creates the problem. However the wonderful thing about Stugeron is that it makes me calm and drowsy, perfect for the airport and to fall straight to sleep when we get on the plane. It worked like a charm again, for which I am very grateful, I would never fly without it!

Anyway after checking our bags, collecting our travel money from Travellex (Quidco again!) and passing through security, we ended up in duty free for an hour and three-quarters. We set up a base camp so we knew where to find each other, then Murray went off to find breakfast somewhere away from me (when I am anxious I don’t even want to smell food, let alone eat it!) . I just kept plugged into my Disney podcasts, one which was about how to deal with summer crowds which were particularly helpful. Both Murray and I shopped intermittently, always leaving someone at base camp. I had realised whilst I was packing that my sunglasses were nowhere to be found, so I was glad of a tax-free Next where I picked up a pair and a vest top for the other end of the flight (I realised a long sleeved top in Florida weather was just asking for trouble!). Murray, of course, found the alcohol and sweeties!

Soon the flight was called, and we made our way to the gate, then onto the plane. I was a bit dubious about this flight, as we had issues with BA and their customer service beforehand, but all the cabin crew were very courteous and polite, and we departed on time We also had a spare seat next to us, so I spread out as soon as the seatbelt signed turned off, which gave us some extra room. We were both very impressed with the selection of movies on board (although I didn’t make my way through a single one! I kept falling asleep half way through!) So I watched half of Toy Story 1 and 2, in preparation to see the third in America, and some of Alice in Wonderland. I didn’t write down what Murray watched, but it kept him entertained, even though he barely slept. The food was also pretty good, although both Murray and I went for the chicken option and we got completely different things! I got roast chicken with mashed potatoes, whilst he got chicken curry and rice! Odd but both nice enough for airplane food accept the nasty ‘banoffee pudding’. The only bad bit was when I lost my headphone cover down the back of the seat, and found a squished, sticky harribo! Yuck! Apart from that, and a bit of turbulence, the flight went fine.

We arrived at around 4pm Florida time after a 9 or so hour flight, and made our way through immigration (only just for me since I forgot to fill in the back until the last minute! I seem to make a habit of this!) and baggage claim and got onto the monorail (the first of the holiday!). After we got off, both of us headed to the bathroom to freshen up and change into our summer clothes, even in the monorail, our jeans and jumpers were way too hot! We then went to meet our Florida Tours transportation to Lowe’s Royal Pacific Resort. However since we were earlier than expected and Murray’s bag didn’t have wheels (again, why oh why?!?) I decided to see if I could find our driver by the secondary baggage claim, then come back for Murray later. Well one round trip on the escalator later, and we met our driver (I feel terrible for not remembering his name!), who was lovely and friendly with a very well maintained and spacious car! Definitely luxury service! Apparently he had been tracking our flight online, so knew to pick us up a bit earlier, which was fantastic! Plus he gave us a lot of insight about living in Orlando on the journey. Florida Tours in general were fantastic! We asked for a ‘round-trip’ which includes a complementary 30 minute grocery stop, but asked if this could be from the airport to Royal Pacific, then 4 days later to Pop. They were fantastic about this, and was no problem at all. They even allowed us to move the grocery stop to the second trip, where I wouldn’t be so tired and could enjoy it more, going out of their way to go to a decent grocery store! I would highly recommend them! I was a little worried about paying for the round trip upfront, but they were excellent, I always felt safe and taken care of.

After a short, and very interesting, drive we arrived at the Royal Pacific!

Ok I admit, this isn’t a picture we took, but we completely forgot to take any pictures of the lobby! It was lovely though, with a ukulele player and girls doing the hula in the entrance and very prompt staff. On check-in we got some information about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (WWOHP for the rest of this report, otherwise it’s too many words!) and its opening times for the next day, which was for resort guests only for two hours in the morning. We also got our room keys, which to Murray’s surprise had my surname on both cards! I told him it was a sign that feminism was on its way forward and that he should take my name when we get married. Murray was not amused! We also went to go get our park ticket for the next few days, where all you had to do was pop your credit card in, and out popped the tickets! Fantastic!

We then headed up to the room on the third floor (I think, my memory isn’t what it used to be) which was lovely! We had a king size bed, large bathroom and a large flat screen TV.

Here are some of Murray’s attempts to photograph the room...

I knew I shouldn’t have let him do it!

We then headed out to City Walk to find something quick and simple to eat, as I was getting tired and the stress of travelling kicked in again. We decided to walk, not knowing how frequent the boats where and wanting to stretch our legs a bit more. It was a short and pleasant walk to City Walk, even passing this view on the way out of the Royal Pacific.

Aww!

So we stopped off at the Burger King Whopper Bar, as has become tradition in our family to go to a fast food restaurant that you could of eaten in back home on the first night as the familiarity is kind of comforting in a strange place.

Murray had a Bourbon Whopper meal and Sprite and I had a small fries and some of Murray’s drink (I wasn’t that hungry, I didn’t even finish the fries!).

(You can tell we are new to photographing food right?)

It was ok, Murray said the burger was tasty, but most importantly it filled us up in a familiar way. Plus wasn’t too unreasonably priced for right next to a theme park. Murray said it was one of the better burgers of the trip, and the fries were pretty decent too. We would say a 5 out of 10

We also stopped at the Coca Cola Refreshment point to ask about their refillable mugs. Universal sell quite large refillable mugs for $6.99 plus tax , which you can then top up for 80 cents a refill. We then asked the cashier how long these mugs are valid for and his response was: ‘Officially it’s for the day of purchase, but you could use it for a couple of days and no one would ever know’. To me, this was a clear sign that it would be ok to use for the rest of our stay- plus with the cost of all the refills we paid more than for a Disney mug. So no flaming me, I was just doing as the cashier suggested!! This worked out really well for us, we shared it between the two of us (it was that large, it would of been a waste to buy one each!). Plus since we paid for refills we didn’t waste any soda at all, we drank every last drop! Ok, I still feel a bit guilty, but no one ever questioned it!

Here’s a photo I found on Disboards of said refillable mug by Violet Crayon (unfortunately it doesn’t really show scale)

Anyway we then headed back to the room to chill out and watch the sun go down, then get a well deserved rest

This was the view from the window, isn’t it great?

Tomorrow: Harry Potter and the Revenge of the Front of the Line Pass!

Last edited by wishspirit; 07-16-2010 at 07:02 PM.
wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishspirit View Post
. We also got our room keys, which to Murray’s surprise had my surname on both cards! I told him it was a sign that feminism was on its way forward and that he should take my name when we get married. Murray was not amused!
LOL

Great second part of your report Kate! You have a great way of writing that is very entertaining (PS Don't tell everyone I am your mom!!)
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
alebisi
DIS Veteran

thanks for the florida tours review, the grocery store stop sounds interesting! Can I ask why you chose Royal Pacific over hard rock hotel???
Great trip report so far!!

alebisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebisi View Post
thanks for the florida tours review, the grocery store stop sounds interesting! Can I ask why you chose Royal Pacific over hard rock hotel???
Great trip report so far!!
I'll be honest... it was cheaper!!

Hard Rock is slightly more expensive, and I was a bit worried that with staying at Pop too that it might be slightly similar, but to be honest I didn't do too much research after I found out it was cheaper!

wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #23
BilltM
Dizfan

Kate (and Murray),

Great job on the trip report. Waiting for more.

BILL
BilltM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #24
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

loving the report Kate!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #25
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

It's hard to believe this is your first trip report. You're doing a very good job. It's fun to see something so familiar through fresh eyes, isn't it? I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. Thanks for sharing the fun.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
vermontgirl
Mouseketeer

Kate! This is fantastic~ I can't wait to read more...so please type fast!

Thank you again for arranging the Dis meet~ I loved meeting you and everyone else.

vermontgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #27
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

A brilliant start, please do type quickly, I am loving it ..
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #28
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Enjoying your report Kate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebisi View Post
Can I ask why you chose Royal Pacific over hard rock hotel???
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishspirit View Post
I'll be honest... it was cheaper!!
I've stayed at both hotels. Despite RPR being cheaper, I much preferred it to HRH and I'm staying there again next month!
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #29
Disneytinker
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your report, cant wait to read the rest

Disney land Paris 2003
Florida May 2001
Disneytinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
princess jackson
DIS Veteran