Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Haight Ashbury District questions

Worth a visit?
How much time to allow?
What are the must see's?
I love SFO, we go often. I grew up in the South Bay but have never wandered around the Haight - DD 12 is dying to visit.
We are having a girls weekend in a couple of weeks, going to the DeYoung, Disney Museum and Exploratorium. We thought we might wander thru the Haight on the way to China Town for dinner (I am aware they are not close together all part of a days agenda)
Any input would be greatly appreciated
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Haight is alright. I like the Ameaba music store. She might like that and there are a couple used clothing stores and some other clothing stores. Otherwise I like the Cafes there but that won't help you.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Somegirl
Mouseketeer

I agree that Amoeba Music is worth a stop if you're really into record stores. There are some interesting stores as well.
However as of late there has been some problems in the area with very aggressive pan handling and unsavory people loitering around. I took my daughter up there last year during her 16th birthday celebration and I didn't fee 100% comfortable. We live in Santa Cruz and we have our share of unsavory types, but it seemed to me at least to be worse there. I'd like to say it would be great to go to to support the merchants, but if you're at all uneasy about it you could skip it. Or just drive through and if things look ok to you then by all means pay the Haight a visit.

It looks like you have a great trip planned. You also might really enjoy the new California Academy of Sciences if you have the time.
Somegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegirl View Post
I agree that Amoeba Music is worth a stop if you're really into record stores. There are some interesting stores as well.
However as of late there has been some problems in the area with very aggressive pan handling and unsavory people loitering around. I took my daughter up there last year during her 16th birthday celebration and I didn't fee 100% comfortable. We live in Santa Cruz and we have our share of unsavory types, but it seemed to me at least to be worse there. I'd like to say it would be great to go to to support the merchants, but if you're at all uneasy about it you could skip it. Or just drive through and if things look ok to you then by all means pay the Haight a visit.

It looks like you have a great trip planned. You also might really enjoy the new California Academy of Sciences if you have the time.
Thanks for the input, we will play it by ear and be aware. Market tends to be like that too with the aggressive panhandlers.
Excellent suggestion, however we went to the Calif. Academy of Sciences in March.

We also decided to get tickets to the Birth of Impressionism at the deYoung
Thanks AidensMom

Last edited by mamacatnv; 07-16-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Somegirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Thanks for the input, we will play it by ear and be aware. Market tends to be like that too with the aggressive panhandlers.
Excellent suggestion, however we went to the Calif. Academy of Sciences in March.

We also decided to get tickets to the Birth of Impressionism at the deYoung
The deYoung exhibit sounds very good. I may have to take my daughter up to see it before the summer is over.

Just so you don't think I'm overly cautious...the situation in the Haight was in the news a lot a while back regarding younger druggie types causing problems for visitors and shop owners. They were sitting and camping in front of shops and refusing to leave. Some got aggressive as well. It's probably fine to visit, but since you were bringing young girls I wanted to give you a heads up. Either way have a great trip to San Francisco.
Somegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegirl View Post
The deYoung exhibit sounds very good. I may have to take my daughter up to see it before the summer is over.

Just so you don't think I'm overly cautious...the situation in the Haight was in the news a lot a while back regarding younger druggie types causing problems for visitors and shop owners. They were sitting and camping in front of shops and refusing to leave. Some got aggressive as well. It's probably fine to visit, but since you were bringing young girls I wanted to give you a heads up. Either way have a great trip to San Francisco.
Very much appreciated, I will discuss with the other Mom and take your advice and drive around a bit if we decide to head that way.
Thanks AidensMom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: