Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #91
lovemy4sweeties
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrea View Post
We ordered the Encyclopedia books from Amazon, I took them to Kinkos and had the binding changed and the front and back covers laminated. The books are a bit heavy for carrying around all day but my DW came up with a great solution. She wanted to get the girls a little Welcome To WDW gift so she got them both monogramed black draw string backpacks, and guess what; the books fit in it perfectly. The girls had NO problem carrying the books in the back packs and had other things with them as well.

She ordered the back packs from http://www.disneyflorist.com and they put them in the room for us while we were at DTD.

When the characters saw themselves in the books they went nuts. Pooh saw it and jumped for joy and tried to show it to Tigger. Tigger ignored him and Pooh showed signs of crying to the crowd and they got after Tigger for it. It was great fun and it made the character meetings that much more special. Alice [Alice In Wonderland} spent 10 minutes with us just looking through the book and even brought all the characters in the restaurant over to look as well. It was so much fun.
Here is a picture of the girls with the back packs:
Can you order just the drawstring bags? I could only find them as part of a package.

dd 12, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7, dd 3, dd 1,
lovemy4sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #92
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4sweeties View Post
GREAT IDEA!!! Thanks for posting! I have 5 kids, so I *think* I'll do one for each of them. I like the tote bag idea too and so the older ones can take care of their own book. They can also keep it in the stroller if they don't want to carry it around.

I'm not 100% sure if I should get autographs for the baby. Should I just order her a book, but leave it at home this time and she can start getting the autographs during our next visit when she's older? Will she feel like we left her out later when she notices that the other kids have all the autographs from this trip and she doesn't? I'm thinking that she'll want to get the autographs herself when she can remember it a bit better. Hmmmm, what would everyone else do in this situation. We're hoping to visit WDW every 3 years or so.
I have two kids and we have one book. IMHO one is enough since it is the same book, you will be getting the same autographs, and there is no room for photos and therefore, is not personalized anyway. If each child was going to be photographed separately with the siggie, then I'd say each having there own may be important. While I totally understand the "everyone wanting/needing the same thing" routine (it happens in my house on a hourly basis), you may want to rethink having 5 of the same books and maybe trying to find a creative way for all of the kids to enjoy 1.

Last year, DD2 was not interested in characters so DD7 brought the book to them. This year she seems like she'll be more interested so what I think I'll do is have them take turns presenting the book at M&Gs.

If you do decide to stick with the 5, each child should def be responsible for their own book, so you're not stuck lugging them around. As many of us have said, it is bulky.

Have fun with it!
5 or 6 times as a kid, no idea when I went or where I stayed NYE 1999 Coronado Springs October 2005 Old Key West November 2006 Pop Century September 2007 Pop Century August 2010 Pop Century August 2011 Pop Century April 2013 AoA LM
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #93
lovemy4sweeties
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston View Post
I have two kids and we have one book. IMHO one is enough since it is the same book, you will be getting the same autographs, and there is no room for photos and therefore, is not personalized anyway. If each child was going to be photographed separately with the siggie, then I'd say each having there own may be important. While I totally understand the "everyone wanting/needing the same thing" routine (it happens in my house on a hourly basis), you may want to rethink having 5 of the same books and maybe trying to find a creative way for all of the kids to enjoy 1.

Last year, DD2 was not interested in characters so DD7 brought the book to them. This year she seems like she'll be more interested so what I think I'll do is have them take turns presenting the book at M&Gs.

If you do decide to stick with the 5, each child should def be responsible for their own book, so you're not stuck lugging them around. As many of us have said, it is bulky.

Have fun with it!
I thought about just getting one book, but I like the idea of each of them having their own. I figure over the years they can work on getting as many signatures as they can and it can be their own personal keepsake to show their own kids. I know it will probably be a pain to carry around, but I think it will be worth it. I'm not sure if I should get the baby autographs or wait until our next trip to start her book.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #94
bonrea
Family-Above All Else In Life

Quote:
Can you order just the drawstring bags? I could only find them as part of a package.
They were part of the package. You may want to call Disney Florist and see if they can customize it for you. Most of the time they can.

- - -
bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #95
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I thought about just getting one book, but I like the idea of each of them having their own. I figure over the years they can work on getting as many signatures as they can and it can be their own personal keepsake to show their own kids. I know it will probably be a pain to carry around, but I think it will be worth it. I'm not sure if I should get the baby autographs or wait until our next trip to start her book.

Bring the baby's book with you, try it one day, and then leave it in the room (or enlist an older sibling to be "in charge" of getting the baby's siggies) the rest of the time if it doesn't work out. Can't hurt to try!

IMHO I would think getting them all at once would be better so that on the future trips, you don't have to autograph chase the one's the other kids already have and can work on new characters all together.
5 or 6 times as a kid, no idea when I went or where I stayed NYE 1999 Coronado Springs October 2005 Old Key West November 2006 Pop Century September 2007 Pop Century August 2010 Pop Century August 2011 Pop Century April 2013 AoA LM
Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #96
bonrea
Family-Above All Else In Life

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure if I should get autographs for the baby.
I'd order a book for everyone before it goes out of print again. The last one went out of print for 5 years. They had such demand for it they updated it and rereleased it.

- - -
bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #97
lovemy4sweeties
Mouseketeer

I just placed my order. It took me a while because they don't deliver to Canada, but a friend is coming from the US to Canada, so he'll bring them to me before our trip. So, my question now is.....Do you think it's worth it to get it rebound with the spiral binding? Is the binding pretty sturdy and do the pages stay in pretty good? I had something bound the last time we went to WDW, but it was a plastic spiral type binding and it didn't hold up the best. I like the idea of being able to add extra pages with the new characters.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #98
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I just placed my order. It took me a while because they don't deliver to Canada, but a friend is coming from the US to Canada, so he'll bring them to me before our trip. So, my question now is.....Do you think it's worth it to get it rebound with the spiral binding? Is the binding pretty sturdy and do the pages stay in pretty good? I had something bound the last time we went to WDW, but it was a plastic spiral type binding and it didn't hold up the best. I like the idea of being able to add extra pages with the new characters.
I would recc'd binding for two reasons. 1. adding the extra pages is cool, 2. it's easier to manuever when the characters sign to be able to flip the rest of the book over instead of having to sign and hold the book open.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #99
lnh'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston View Post
I would recc'd binding for two reasons. 1. adding the extra pages is cool, 2. it's easier to manuever when the characters sign to be able to flip the rest of the book over instead of having to sign and hold the book open.
I agree with the spiral binding! When we were there for Christmas, we had multiple characters coment on how they had seen those books before but never spiral bound and it was so much easier for them to hold. Cinderalla's stepmother and stepsisters were especially impressed with them and their hands are open! Didn't cost much and so worth it in my opinion!
lnh'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #100
justbishop
Watch your words spread hope like fire...

Thanks for this tip, just ordered on Amazon!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #101
mom2princesses2
DIS Veteran

Talking Thanks for the tip!

I have been thinking and thinking and thinking some more about what to use for autographs for our upcoming trip in Nov. I made Creative Memories 8x8 books for our last two trips and wanted to do something different, cheaper and easier this time around.

This is perfect!! Just ordered 2 from ABC for $13.85 with shipping. I'm not sure if we'll use both for our DD9 & DD3 but if we don't, the other will make a nice gift for a friend's bday party.
Disneyland ~ July 2013/ Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) ~ Feb. 2013 (DD's 5th & my 41st Birthdays) / Coronado Springs Resort ~ Nov. 2011 (DH's 43rd Birthday & MVMCP)/ Wilderness Lodge ~ Sept. 2010 (DD's 8th Birthday & MNSSHP) / Pop Century ~ Dec. 2006 (10th Wedding Anniversary & MVMCP) / Dixie Landings ~ Oct. 2000 (MNSSHP) / Dixie Landings ~ May 1994 / Non-property WDW visits ~ 1980 & 1985
mom2princesses2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #102
Alinasan
Mouseketeer

I clicked the link, but it didn't take me right to the product so not sure if it was the same one we bought before off Amazon. We took a Disney Jr. Encyclopedia from Amazon before our trip to DL last year. DD (now 3, then 2.5) really enjoys flipping through the pages, and now she'll notice the signatures and it prompts her memory of meeting the characters. The characters had fun signing it, though they also had fun with the colored mini-sharpie pens I'd brought (mainly that they were hard to open!). It wasn't heavy, but it is larger and heavier than a simple autograph book might be.

I'm not sure I want to bring the same one this time around though--for one thing, I'd prefer to avoid having the same page signed by the "same" character with different writing. That did happen on our last trip too, but I strategically would flip the page to a related character (so the second time we ran into Jasmine, I had her sign Aladdin's page, or Mushu for Mulan).
I could make that work again, but the book was a bit heavy.

I'm curious about the re-binding thing, how much did that cost?
Alinasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #103
aprilj313
God Is Good!

thats a great idea i just ordered off abc for 3.95 if you cant get it to show on the link type in disney animated characters and it will come up..with shipping it was 9.90 total

Last edited by aprilj313; 08-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.
aprilj313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #104
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Binding was about 10-12$
Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #105
Deealee
Mouseketeer

Thanks op this was a great idea!!!

One thing I did was to also add in some photo-sleeves throughout the book. This way I can add photos of us with the characters.
Deealee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: