Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
lnh'smom
DIS Veteran

For those of you that have this book, did you get one for each child? Also, if anyone of you do go to Kinkos or Staples to get it "coiled" could you post the cost? Both of these places are kinda far and I would hate to drive all the way there and find out the price is ridiculous! TIA
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnh'smom View Post
For those of you that have this book, did you get one for each child? Also, if anyone of you do go to Kinkos or Staples to get it "coiled" could you post the cost? Both of these places are kinda far and I would hate to drive all the way there and find out the price is ridiculous! TIA
I bought just one book for my 2 kids. My kids are 7 and 2 though, so the 2 yo wouldn't care one way or the other. I would ask your kids if they are willing to share one "very special" keepsake. I think carrying around more than one would be annoying, but your kids fighting over the book could be much worse.

I am also interested in the coiling costs and will be stalking the thread until someone who has done it, or taken the itiative to call staples or kinkos, posts the answer.
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

The last time I had Kinko's do this, it was for a study manual... they cut off the book's existing spine and the rebound it with coil (other options are available). I want to say the cost was just under $10, and the book was about an inch thick. So it may not be that much for a smaller book.
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
wjchiefs
Earning My Ears

Thanks for showing us this i just got 2 of them for my girls when we go next yr. I will be giving them 2 them before we get there as a present.
wjchiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

This sounds like a great idea but I am curiousto know what the coil bound one look like. Can you post a pic?

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
CMG1
Mouseketeer

Totally recommend it. I have one of these and I love it. I have a good number of character autograph's and it is a big hit with a lot of the characters, they like to read about themselves!

CMG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #22
Twinkler
Mouseketeer

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been back since. We have to move everything out of our house for some drywall repair.

I'm uploading some pictures right now and I'll post them in a minute. Thanks for bearing with me.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #23
Twinkler
Mouseketeer

So I got the book at a book fair at our kids school, but I"m sure you could find it on Amazon.com.

I took the book to Kinko's and had them cut off the spine and laminate the front and back covers. Then had them put a coil binding on it. I chose white because I wanted it to be easy to see in a dark backpack.

Front of the book

The book could lay flat on a table or we'd fold it in half so there was less for the character to lose.

While we waited in line, we'd read their story.

Nice index to see if they were in the book.

If they weren't in the book, we'd have the sign on the inside cover (front or back) and on empty pages.

It was really nice. We only had one book for our two kids. They would take turns who was going to give the marker. We used a silver sharpie.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

Do you remember how much it cost to have that done?
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #25
Twinkler
Mouseketeer

I know it was less than $10. We have two kids and only had one book this time though, so I justified the $10 that way.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
Twinkler
Mouseketeer

Our kids have looked at the book so many times, the flip books we had the previous trip never get looked at.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #27
madsmom
Earning My Ears

Thank you SOOO much for posting your pictures of this. I love this idea. I ordered the book from LTD for $5.95. I can't wait to get it and take it to Kinko's for the binding and laminating. I assume you didn't have any problems with the Sharpie marker bleeding through the pages? Thanks again for this great idea. It's definitely something different!
madsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #28
kimis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston View Post
I found this encyclopedia of Disney characters at abcdistributing.com. Great to teach kids about every character you can think of and then some. I'm going to let my kids have the characters autograph their page in the book.

http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/...80057-9E9C---2
I saw this too and have it ordered. I love your idea and might do the same thing! Thanks for the great idea!
2007-DL Paradise Pier
2007-DL Candy cane Inn
2007-DL Portofino Inn
2006-POR 2005-POR 2005- DL Paradise Pier 1999-Dixie Landings (1st of many trips-I hope!) 1999- DL Holiday Inn and many more DL trips
kimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #29
Twinkler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsmom View Post
Thank you SOOO much for posting your pictures of this. I love this idea. I ordered the book from LTD for $5.95. I can't wait to get it and take it to Kinko's for the binding and laminating. I assume you didn't have any problems with the Sharpie marker bleeding through the pages? Thanks again for this great idea. It's definitely something different!
No bleeding. It was great!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #30
jaci-h
If you feel psycho dad needs a frozen coke over his head to cool off... you're a desperado.

Holy smokes! I am so excited. Just ordered mine on amazon (for faster shipping). I think this will be a great keepsake for my husband and I to share with our kids one day

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
jaci-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: