Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #796
katiamastan
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info, Disneyholic! I am thinking of my husband is not likely to do well in the movement of trains. He went to Soar shaking and white as a sheet. He can not stand the Disney line. I do not know that he can get trainlegs. It seems that we stick to driving.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #797
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Posting from Ormond Beach, FL. Left our home Sunday at 11:45 am and drove to Florence, SC. Stayed in a Country Inns and Suites. We had NO trouble around DC or I-95. Smooth sailing all the way, easiest drive we've had (this is #3). Arrived in Ormond Beach this afternoon, had some nice beach time, and we're ready for WDW tomorrow morning.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #798
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker231 View Post
We got back Saturday night, just getting back on the computer with Halloween and going back to work. We had a great trip and great weather. We really enjoyed Food & Wine, went to Epcot 3 days. Driving down we hit some morning fog in the that slowed us down a bit, but made it down in 16 hours 20 minutes. Coming home we left at at 5:20 and it took us 15.5 hours.

Best of luck to everyone on their upcoming trips.
Indeed, the weather was great the week we were there (Oct. 17-24) and the one that followed.

[Based upon your location, we must be "neighbors."]

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #799
sticker231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Indeed, the weather was great the week we were there (Oct. 17-24) and the one that followed.

[Based upon your location, we must be "neighbors."]

All the best.
We were down from the 21-30, yes great weather. I believe we are "neighbors" from some of your location references and occasional gas price quotes.

OUR TRIPS TO WDW
OCTOBER 2005, APRIL 2006, OCTOBER 2006, MARCH 2007, JUNE 2007, OCTOBER 2007,
APRIL 2008, OCTOBER 2008, OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, OCTOBER 2010, OCTOBER 2011, MAY 2012,OCTOBER 2012, OCTOBER 2013, OCTOBER 2014
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #800
nytimez
Nihilist

So what's the current word on passing through DC -- 95/495 to the east side or to the west side when going south?

I'll be heading down tomorrow -- plan to stop for breakfast before reaching DC, then passing through after the morning rush (it will be impossible for me to beat the morning rush).
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #801
blondietink
DIS Veteran

We went around DC both in August and October. Went the west side in August and the east side in October. We much prefer the west side which is contrary to the way AAA always sends us. When going the east side, you always have the possibility of the George Washington Bridge being up and traffic will come to a standstill. We just made better time going on the west side, both of which were around noonish on a Saturday. Just MHO.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #802
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
So what's the current word on passing through DC -- 95/495 to the east side or to the west side when going south?

I'll be heading down tomorrow -- plan to stop for breakfast before reaching DC, then passing through after the morning rush (it will be impossible for me to beat the morning rush).
So...did you make it through without too much traffic? Fridays can be, well, quite bad in that area.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #803
cemeb4dk
Mouseketeer

Just back( Friday) from a 10 night stay.

We live 45 minutes west of Chicago.

Left Sat 10/23 at 9:30 pm. Got to Ruby Falls at 8 am Eastern time ate at the cracker barrell, then did the tour at the falls. Spent a total of 3 hours or so there. It was a good half wayish point to stop and stretch the legs. Then back in car, stopped in Downtown Atlanta at Varisty Dogs, and being from Chicago, you know how I like my hot dogs and this was an experience and I can at least say I did it. Arrived at our hotel at about 8:30 pm at the Hampton Inn just outside of Downtown Disney for the night. An excellent hotel to stay at for a night before you check into your Disney hotel if you arrive early, or even if you stay offsite. So a total of 22 hours in car, and we all did great. I did all the driving myself. My wife and 4 1/2 year old daughter did great traveling.

On the way back. Left Thursday 11/4 at 11:30 am and went straight thru again arriving home just before 6am. Straight thru again. We had some overnight construction in Chatanooga and Nashville but nothing to bad either way.

My wifes 2003 trailblazer with 125K miles on it with a sears travel bubble averaged 16mpg and I would guess the average we paid per gallon was about 2.69 or so
Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #804
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Posting from Ormond Beach, FL. Left our home Sunday at 11:45 am and drove to Florence, SC. Stayed in a Country Inns and Suites. We had NO trouble around DC or I-95. Smooth sailing all the way, easiest drive we've had (this is #3). Arrived in Ormond Beach this afternoon, had some nice beach time, and we're ready for WDW tomorrow morning.
We're thinking of staying there next drive. How was it? What type of room did you stay in? How was the staff and the breakfast?

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #805
hibricc
Mouseketeer

Driving down on Dec26

(cross-posted from the Driving sticky, in hopes of responses from road warriors!)

Last year, we left MA on Sunday Dec27 via I95 - and got caught in the biggest mess of traffic in New Jersey and Delaware. (We were surprised at how clear NYC was, thought we were home free, but then...) Seems like all of the northeast was heading south that day!

So this year, we're leaving on Sunday again (can't change the day), but thinking about the I84-81 route and picking up I95 at DC. Google says it's only an additional 45 minutes, but should we be concerned about icy/snowy roads out on I81?

TIA
Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #806
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
We're thinking of staying there next drive. How was it? What type of room did you stay in? How was the staff and the breakfast?
I assume you mean the Country Inns and Suites in Florence? It was fine, fairly clean (specs of white hard stuff on the carpet, cleaning crystals maybe), fairly quiet, no problems. King bed room. Staff was nice. No eggs at breakfast though, just sausage and sausage gravy for the "hot" part, and of course the ever-present waffle maker. If you meant SunDeck in Ormond Beach, then check TripAdvisor in about five days for my review.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #807
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibricc View Post
(cross-posted from the Driving sticky, in hopes of responses from road warriors!)

Last year, we left MA on Sunday Dec27 via I95 - and got caught in the biggest mess of traffic in New Jersey and Delaware. (We were surprised at how clear NYC was, thought we were home free, but then...) Seems like all of the northeast was heading south that day!

So this year, we're leaving on Sunday again (can't change the day), but thinking about the I84-81 route and picking up I95 at DC. Google says it's only an additional 45 minutes, but should we be concerned about icy/snowy roads out on I81?

TIA
Yep, from Thanksgiving on there is always the chance of snow and ice on I-81 in the southcentral PA region. Where are you planning to get off I-81?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #808
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
I assume you mean the Country Inns and Suites in Florence? It was fine, fairly clean (specs of white hard stuff on the carpet, cleaning crystals maybe), fairly quiet, no problems. King bed room. Staff was nice. No eggs at breakfast though, just sausage and sausage gravy for the "hot" part, and of course the ever-present waffle maker. If you meant SunDeck in Ormond Beach, then check TripAdvisor in about five days for my review.
Thanks, yes I meant the Country Inn. I hate it when there's no eggs - even hard boiled works good for us. The carbo load in the morning doesn't make for a pleasant drive with a rock in your stomach! My DD loves to makes the waffles and they are tasty, but too much work when I'm tired in the morning. We've stayed at some Country Inns that have scrambled eggs, sausage patties and breakfast sandwiches. I'm okay with the sausage gravy and biscuits, its become a tradition on driving trips only!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #809
hibricc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yep, from Thanksgiving on there is always the chance of snow and ice on I-81 in the southcentral PA region. Where are you planning to get off I-81?
No formal route plan just yet (probably get an old fashioned TripTik from AAA), but Google says Exit 70 to I83 at Harrisburg....
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #810
lck33
DIS Veteran

Leaving from the catskills of New York on Friday the 19th and would love some input on the route we should take, when to leave and where to stay. I am scared to death of the thought of bed bugs. So any recent good experiences would be great. We would like to try to drive about 14 hours the first day, and leave early in the am.

Thanks so much. I will be taveling with my FIL and DD10.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: