Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #766
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
I'm hoping for a one-week delay... so I can see it when I'm there!
Check the NASA site. There is a rocket launch the second week of November. I assume you can see these from WDW?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #767
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
pedebbie, hows the construction on 81? i will be going through on a tuesday morning around 11am. i know its been under construction for a few years.
It is still a mess in the Chambersburg area. Just slow down, stay in your lane, and if you can, let people on from the entrance ramps or travel in the left lane. There is a southbound express lane right now (can't access any exits in the area). Construction starts south of Rt. 997 and seems to end around the Marion exit. Sorry I can't tell you the exit numbers; since they changed them to numbering based on milemarkers (which actually makes a whole lot of sense), I can never keep them straight anymore except that Exit 7 became Exit 17, that one is easy to remember.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #768
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
It is still a mess in the Chambersburg area. Just slow down, stay in your lane, and if you can, let people on from the entrance ramps or travel in the left lane. There is a southbound express lane right now (can't access any exits in the area). Construction starts south of Rt. 997 and seems to end around the Marion exit. Sorry I can't tell you the exit numbers; since they changed them to numbering based on milemarkers (which actually makes a whole lot of sense), I can never keep them straight anymore except that Exit 7 became Exit 17, that one is easy to remember.
thanks, i usually stay in the left lane. i never took the express lane, it always seem there 500 trucks over there and the lanes are narrow. any idea when they will be done with it?

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #769
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Check the NASA site. There is a rocket launch the second week of November. I assume you can see these from WDW?
Yes and no -- the pad for the rocket launches is a little further away, and they don't need nearly as much rocket power. It's not as spectacular as a shuttle launch from afar.

Also, I usually watch the shuttle launches from Space View Park in Titusville... but I wouldn't make the drive to see the rocket launch (I think Cocoa is the place for that if anyone is interested).
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #770
Amirah95
I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!

Uber excited now...we leave Friday evening!!! Woo Woo!

Proud Disboards.com Member! Park Commando & Roadtripping Family! Mom of 2 Girls! I my Grandboy!
Maleficent/Dr. Facilier/Oogie Boogie/Scar/Yzma Villains Pin Collector & Trader *WDW Planning Nut*
Packing for Kids Roadtrip Menu Stroller Debate Rider Switch Primer NJ Roadtrippers 2,000+ Mile Roadtrippers - II-III-IV
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #771
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" All-Time Records [updated 10/25/10]

Most Total Drives: 48 (since 1973) dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade: 20 (2002-2010) bc1836

Most Drives in one Calendar Year: 4 (two times: 2008 & 2009) bc1836 and (once: 2009) cruisingkat

Most Drives in one 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09) cruisingkat

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009) cruisingkat

Longest Drive: ?

Most Passengers in One Vehicle: ?

[Please update this information!]
Most Drives in one Decade updated: fom 19 to 20!

Uneventful drive from Petersburg, VA to Jersey Shore. No traffic at either the $5 MD toll or the $4 DE toll on I-95.

Now...it's time to plan the next drive!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #772
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
thanks, i usually stay in the left lane. i never took the express lane, it always seem there 500 trucks over there and the lanes are narrow. any idea when they will be done with it?
It seems that I-81 has been under some form of construction since we moved here in 1989. I don't think they ever plan to be done with it!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #773
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Made it home tonight in just about 11 hours from Statesville, NC. Fog was terrible in Virginia ... we just crawled along. Good thing because the VA troopers were everywhere! Rained through most of W. Va, although the foliage was still beautiful when the rain let up. Last gas price update: Wytheville, VA: 2.57, Washington, PA: 2.78, Buffalo, NY: 2.95 (UGH!). Total miles traveled RT: 2017.3, plus whatever we traveled on the autotrain (800 miles?).

Now to start planning our April 2011 trip!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #774
Jamesfam
Earning My Ears

Hi all
We are leaving for our Disney cruise next week and are located in Ocean County. Originally we planned on leaving 2am but now are going to leave around 5:30 pm. Should we be ok with DC traffic leaving at that time? Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #775
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

No and Wilmington and Baltimore will be challenging also.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #776
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesfam View Post
Hi all
We are leaving for our Disney cruise next week and are located in Ocean County. Originally we planned on leaving 2am but now are going to leave around 5:30 pm. Should we be ok with DC traffic leaving at that time? Thanks
Bookwormde speaks words of wisdom.
We live in Ocean County and just completed our 20th drive since 2002 (we returned yesterday). If you leave on a Friday, 2 a.m. there may be a problem by the time you reach southern MD and northern VA. You might be okay on any other day departing at 2 a.m. Early weekend mornings are not a problem.

Leave early. Very early.

We departed near Barnegat Bay on Saturday 10/16/10 at 2:50 a.m.
We crossed the DE Memorial bridge at 4:20 a.m.
We reached MD at 4:35 a.m. and crossed the Wilson Bridge into VA at 6:26 a.m.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #777
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bookwormde speaks words of wisdom.
We live in Ocean County and just completed our 20th drive since 2002 (we returned yesterday). If you leave on a Friday, 2 a.m. there may be a problem by the time you reach southern MD and northern VA. You might be okay on any other day departing at 2 a.m. Early weekend mornings are not a problem.

Leave early. Very early.

We departed near Barnegat Bay on Saturday 10/16/10 at 2:50 a.m.
We crossed the DE Memorial bridge at 4:20 a.m.
We reached MD at 4:35 a.m. and crossed the Wilson Bridge into VA at 6:26 a.m.

All the best.
timing is everything bc!! welcome home!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #778
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Veteran 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers are well aware of the numerous South of the Border (SOTB) signs that punctuate I-95. Over the last year or two, SOTB has upgraded many of its signs. But where does the facility get the money for the upgrades? We hardly ever see more than a handful of vehicles there when we pass...and we've passed it 40 times since 2002. We stopped once there for gas last year and saw no more than a half-dozen vehicles.

True to form, one of the upgraded signs still features incorrect punctuation ("Kids Stuff").

Still, it's always good to see those first SOTB signs when driving south in northern NC.

All the best.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #779
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Veteran 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers are well aware of the numerous South of the Border (SOTB) signs that punctuate I-95. Over the last year or two, SOTB has upgraded many of its signs. But where does the facility get the money for the upgrades? We hardly ever see more than a handful of vehicles there when we pass...and we've passed it 40 times since 2002. We stopped once there for gas last year and saw no more than a half-dozen vehicles.

True to form, one of the upgraded signs still features incorrect punctuation ("Kids Stuff").

Still, it's always good to see those first SOTB signs when driving south in northern NC.

All the best.
Yes, less and less cars as we pass by each trip. No clue on the money thing, but they don't use it to upgrade the actual site!! We stopped in 2008 (last time we stopped) and got a few fireworks and ice cream for my husband. Disgusting restroom there! Over priced gas and 'stuff' in general. Years ago when the kids were young we stopped at times-just for a leg stretch. Yes, the signage does give a sense of getting to FL!!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #780
Maliki2
DIS Veteran

Have a question, we are driving back to Vermont when the trip is done, we are having a hard time finding a decent place to stop over either right before I95 goes into New Jersey (Maryland maybe) or in New Jersey. Most of the places we have found have bad reviews etc, and don't want to stay in a unsafe area. We are looking for anything under $100 for one night. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
'12 Jambo - Sons first birthday trip!, '13 Kidani,
'14 Jambo

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: