Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #751
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
I started a thread for good non-chain restaurants off I-95, but no one seems interested.

For BBQ, I recommend Prince George's BBQ where 295 and 95 meet in southern Virginia. I believe it's exit 3 off 295 and exit 48 on 95. I also like the GA Pig off I-95 in Brunswick, GA -- but only the pulled pork, the other meats are kinda ordinary.
Thanks. That's a shame the thread died. I think I posted on it once! I guess too many people like to drive straight through and don't want to stop at a restaurant unless it's right on the highway. I think I've seen signs for the GA Pig on 95 - is that right?

Maybe we'll try your Virginia suggestion this next trip. We're leaving later in the day, so we should be hitting that area around dinner time.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #752
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Thanks. That's a shame the thread died. I think I posted on it once! I guess too many people like to drive straight through and don't want to stop at a restaurant unless it's right on the highway. I think I've seen signs for the GA Pig on 95 - is that right?

Maybe we'll try your Virginia suggestion this next trip. We're leaving later in the day, so we should be hitting that area around dinner time.
our trip is getting closer. sorry i couldnt be much of a help on there, we pack sandwiches for the ride down and eat when we hit our overnight hotel. the way home, we basicly hit a drive thru. i dont eat much when i drive, makes me sleepy. i can go all day without eating while im driving till about 4-5pm. thasn i dont eat much, ill start nodding off.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #753
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ah, but if you took the Greenway toll road, then you wouldn't be exiting off I-4 BC! We'll never drive any other way - it drops you right up the street from the Crossroads Shopping Center and you avoid Orlando altogether. Worth every penny!
Details, please.

[BTW: we're still here! Gorgeous weather. Most recent drive: from the BWI to the Poly.]

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #754
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Leaving tomorrow am for the LONG, LONG 1350 mile drive home after a wonderful week at WDW. The weather has been perfect and not a drop of rain. Sunny and 85 degrees all week. I dread the 50 degree (or lower)weather at home, but am kind of looking forward to driving through NC and W. VA for the fall foliage. Gas as low as $2.71 at Walmart on 535.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #755
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Leaving tomorrow am for the LONG, LONG 1350 mile drive home after a wonderful week at WDW. The weather has been perfect and not a drop of rain. Sunny and 85 degrees all week. I dread the 50 degree (or lower)weather at home, but am kind of looking forward to driving through NC and W. VA for the fall foliage. Gas as low as $2.71 at Walmart on 535.
watch the deer, they have been bad this year around here. we had our first frost friday night. yippeee. have a safe trip home.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #756
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ah, but if you took the Greenway toll road, then you wouldn't be exiting off I-4 BC! We'll never drive any other way - it drops you right up the street from the Crossroads Shopping Center and you avoid Orlando altogether. Worth every penny!
We did that the first trip and it was not good for us. Hit it around 5:00 in the pouring rain and had to keep pulling off to pay tolls and back on, then got confused and ended up back on it going in the opposite direction. Nightmare for us. How about the Western Way, has anyone tried that?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #757
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

One week from today we will be hitting the road, hopefully around 11:00 but depends on how long church goes. I guess it wouldn't be nice of me to rush people along so we can hit the road right? (We do house church -- there was a very nice segment about house churches on the NBC nightly news this week.)

Making this a two-night trip down, one night in the Florence, SC, area and the second night in Ormond Beach to hopefully see the shuttle launch.

From the NASA website:
Date: Nov. 1 +
Mission: STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 4:40 p.m. EDT
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a MultiPurpose Logistics Module (MPLM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #758
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
One week from today we will be hitting the road, hopefully around 11:00 but depends on how long church goes. I guess it wouldn't be nice of me to rush people along so we can hit the road right? (We do house church -- there was a very nice segment about house churches on the NBC nightly news this week.)

Making this a two-night trip down, one night in the Florence, SC, area and the second night in Ormond Beach to hopefully see the shuttle launch.

From the NASA website:
Date: Nov. 1 +
Mission: STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 4:40 p.m. EDT
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a MultiPurpose Logistics Module (MPLM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.
I'm hoping for a one-week delay... so I can see it when I'm there!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #759
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
I'm hoping for a one-week delay... so I can see it when I'm there!
That would work for me, we'll be at WDW from the 2nd to 12th.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #760
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
That would work for me, we'll be at WDW from the 2nd to 12th.
pedebbie, hows the construction on 81? i will be going through on a tuesday morning around 11am. i know its been under construction for a few years.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #761
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrkel View Post
My MIL and FIL are taking a road trip with friends to Disney the week after Thanksgiving (they may start out on Mon 11/29 to try to avoid the most weekend post-holiday traffic).

They'll be driving from the southern NH border and want to stay at a half-way point; according to maps that is around the VA / NC border.

Can anyone recommend a good stopping point in that vacinity (of I95) and what hotel?

Also, for those of you who have traveled over the post-Thanksgiving weekend; is it manageable if they do leave on Sun 11/28 instead and take an alternate route around NYC & DC?

TIA
On the advice of someone on this board, we stayed in the Hyatt in Chester, VA, on the way to Myrtle Beach last summer. There were many many hotels in the area, and a lot of places to eat. The Hyatt was beautiful, free breakfast, and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't know if it's far enough south in VA though. I just googled "Chester VA hotels" where you can read reviews and see them all on the map.
When driving last year, we used the gps and plugged in the hote addressl. It took us on 295 so that might not be convenient, although the Hyatt is only about 5 miles or so from 95.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!

Last edited by njmom47; 10-24-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Add'l info
Old 10-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #762
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Gas price updateso far:

Altomante Springs, FL: 2.69
Brunswick, GA: 2.63
Saw some signs in before Columbia, SC for 2.59
Rock Hill, SC: 2.49

We'll watch for the deer, but we will be driving in the daylight. We have many deer around where we live, so are prepared for their antics near the road. Thanks for the warning, though. We are driving up through Pittsburgh and Erie, PA before we hit NY.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #763
KnightFarms
DVC AKV

We made it!

We survived our first road trip as a family.
21 hours total. 17.5 hours driving.
Long stop at DSIL's for dinner and to repack the car so she could fit, too.
  • Left Cleveland, OH 8:30am
  • DD4 had to pee by 10:30
  • Lunch at some scary Hardees just south of Charleston WV 12:40pm
  • Quick stop at VA Welcome center 3:00pm
  • Traffic in Charlotte slowed us down about 35 minutes.
  • Got DSIL's house about 7:00pm (10:30min at that point)
  • 8:30pm-ish back on the road
  • (I was asleep in the back so I'm not sure how SC and early GA went...)
  • Pulled in to All Star Sports at 5:30am, and God love them, they gave us a room!!!!

It wasn't too bad with the kids after the realized that we really were going to be in the car the ENTIRE day. We managed to not bring out the video games until after lunch, and only watched 2 short movies before DSIL's house.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #764
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
On the advice of someone on this board, we stayed in the Hyatt in Chester, VA, on the way to Myrtle Beach last summer. There were many many hotels in the area, and a lot of places to eat. The Hyatt was beautiful, free breakfast, and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't know if it's far enough south in VA though. I just googled "Chester VA hotels" where you can read reviews and see them all on the map.
When driving last year, we used the gps and plugged in the hote addressl. It took us on 295 so that might not be convenient, although the Hyatt is only about 5 miles or so from 95.
Thanks for the info!

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #765
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We're on the way home. [Currently in Petersburg, VA Holiday Inn Express]
An uneventful drive from WDW Hess near the BW. Departed at 8:33 a.m. and made it to Petersburg at 8:03 p.m. Twelve and one-half hours total time that included five stops (including one half-hour Cracker Barrel stop).

Final leg of the trip coming up....

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: