Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #736
cemeb4dk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We arrived in Lake Buena Vista last evening after an uneventful 17-hour, 1,075-mile journey. It was our 20th drive since 2002.

We departed at 2:50 a.m. and arrived at our non-Disney hotel for our overnight stay before we check in to the BWI later this morning.

We had no heavy traffic anywhere (except for the 20-minute back-up getting off of I-4 at Exit 68!). We made six-stops along the way (gas and bathroom), which included two half-hour rest/nap breaks. Our total time of actual driving was about 15 1/2 hours, our fastest yet. We we're driving in the Carolinas, GA and FL mostly at 75 mph and we occasionally reached and topped 80 mph as the world passed on the left!. One biker (There are BIG Harley-Davidson shindigs going on in Daytona and Orlando) passed at at 100+ mph!). We will never make better time.

Now then...it's time to check out of this place and get to place with a lot more magic!

All the best.
Do you stay at an offsite local hotel to disney if so which one if I may ask. I am thinking of leaving a bit earlier and just arriving the night before we were suppose to and getting a hotel in the general vicinity for not alot of cash.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #737
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrkel View Post
My MIL and FIL are taking a road trip with friends to Disney the week after Thanksgiving (they may start out on Mon 11/29 to try to avoid the most weekend post-holiday traffic).

They'll be driving from the southern NH border and want to stay at a half-way point; according to maps that is around the VA / NC border.

Can anyone recommend a good stopping point in that vacinity (of I95) and what hotel?

Also, for those of you who have traveled over the post-Thanksgiving weekend; is it manageable if they do leave on Sun 11/28 instead and take an alternate route around NYC & DC?

TIA
I travelled on the Sunday after Thanksgiving last year and found I-95 to be in pretty bad shape in a lot of places, not just NYC and DC. Right through Virginia there were stop-and-go areas. And in northern VA it was just stop. And every now and then, go.

I usually drive to southern North Carolina on my first day -- it took me 3-4 hours longer than normal to get there.
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #738
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
I travelled on the Sunday after Thanksgiving last year and found I-95 to be in pretty bad shape in a lot of places, not just NYC and DC. Right through Virginia there were stop-and-go areas. And in northern VA it was just stop. And every now and then, go.

I usually drive to southern North Carolina on my first day -- it took me 3-4 hours longer than normal to get there.
Thanks for your reply; I figured it would be a busy travel day. Since they're retired, they'll probably leave on Monday (although that's probably a busy travel day being first work day of the week too!).

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #739
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrkel View Post
Thanks for your reply; I figured it would be a busy travel day. Since they're retired, they'll probably leave on Monday (although that's probably a busy travel day being first work day of the week too!).
im leaving that tuesday after thanksgiving, just stay to the right and nobody will get hurt!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mehb...eature=related
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #740
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:
One biker (There are BIG Harley-Davidson shindigs going on in Daytona and Orlando) passed at at 100+ mph!). We will never make better time.
Ahh the good ol' days. I miss living in Florida. The Florida lead foot got me 9 tickets in my first year in living in St Louis. After the ninth, I decided to slow down. lol Things were getting expensive to "fix".
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #741
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post
Do you stay at an offsite local hotel to disney if so which one if I may ask. I am thinking of leaving a bit earlier and just arriving the night before we were suppose to and getting a hotel in the general vicinity for not alot of cash.

Holiday Inn Express, Lake Buena Vista. It's located one block past the Crossroads mall. A horror traffic area once you get off I-4 at Exit #68. "Free" breakfast. Easy access from parking lot to entrance. Two blocks from WDW DTD entrance.

Holiday Inn, Lake Buena Vista. It's located on Hotel Plaza Blvd. (an extension of DTD). The same horror traffic experience since you have to take the same exit of I-4 (Hmm. You could go to Exit #67 and turn back, though.) A new hotel, parking area is further away from extrance. No "free" breakfast."

We've tried them both.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #742
2princesses2princes
Tav

Lovin' all the snack ideas. It's awesome, I can add things to my pretrip list. We just recently made the drive ffrom southwest Michigan to Asheville North Carolina, yes it's no were near 2000 miles, it was about 1600 round trip, but still gave us a little taste of what to expect. Never driven through the mountains before so that was interesting. We had a rental car, so I am not sure how my van is going to do in mountains, am a bit worried about gas usage then too.

So about the snacking in the car, does anyone find that they snack WAY more while driving than they would at home? I munched on pretzels, and granola bars, had a sandwich, cappucino, lots of water, and a pop. No wonder we had to take so many potty breaks! I wish I didn't have a bad reaction to caffeine though, the purple Amp is quite tasty.

I love the mint idea, it does keep you refreshed and awake. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #743
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Steak n Shake is way better than McDonald's. But when I'm on the road, I try to eat at interesting and different places -- places I don't have at home, ideally not chains.

But since my daughter is usually with me, usually there's a couple of stops at McDonald's too!
Oh yeah - we're on the Barbecue Restaurant kick. In June, we ate at Duke's Barbecue in Walterboro and it was awesome! Really authentic, old timey, disposable plates, paper towels on the table - that sort of thing. We plan to do that on every trip from now on, so I'm always on the lookout for the right place to eat. No Cracker Barrels for us (unless it's late and we're tired and hungry, of course )

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #744
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Holiday Inn Express, Lake Buena Vista. It's located one block past the Crossroads mall. A horror traffic area once you get off I-4 at Exit #68. "Free" breakfast. Easy access from parking lot to entrance. Two blocks from WDW DTD entrance.

Holiday Inn, Lake Buena Vista. It's located on Hotel Plaza Blvd. (an extension of DTD). The same horror traffic experience since you have to take the same exit of I-4 (Hmm. You could go to Exit #67 and turn back, though.) A new hotel, parking area is further away from extrance. No "free" breakfast."

We've tried them both.

All the best.
Ah, but if you took the Greenway toll road, then you wouldn't be exiting off I-4 BC! We'll never drive any other way - it drops you right up the street from the Crossroads Shopping Center and you avoid Orlando altogether. Worth every penny!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #745
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Oh yeah - we're on the Barbecue Restaurant kick. In June, we ate at Duke's Barbecue in Walterboro and it was awesome! Really authentic, old timey, disposable plates, paper towels on the table - that sort of thing. We plan to do that on every trip from now on, so I'm always on the lookout for the right place to eat. No Cracker Barrels for us (unless it's late and we're tired and hungry, of course )
I started a thread for good non-chain restaurants off I-95, but no one seems interested.

For BBQ, I recommend Prince George's BBQ where 295 and 95 meet in southern Virginia. I believe it's exit 3 off 295 and exit 48 on 95. I also like the GA Pig off I-95 in Brunswick, GA -- but only the pulled pork, the other meats are kinda ordinary.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #746
KnightFarms
DVC AKV

OMG we're leaving tomorrow!!!!!

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice. I'll be fairly live on the trip and keep everyone updated.

We're leaving at 8ish tomorrow morning, stopping in Charlotte to pick up my sister in law and have some dinner, then we're off to WDW... hope to arrive early Saturday morning.

Wish us luck!!!!!

I'm so excited that I hope I can sleep!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #747
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFarms View Post
OMG we're leaving tomorrow!!!!!

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice. I'll be fairly live on the trip and keep everyone updated.

We're leaving at 8ish tomorrow morning, stopping in Charlotte to pick up my sister in law and have some dinner, then we're off to WDW... hope to arrive early Saturday morning.

Wish us luck!!!!!

I'm so excited that I hope I can sleep!
have a nice trip.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #748
cemeb4dk
Mouseketeer

ok, car ready, oil changed, vaccuumed, glass cleaned all miscellaneous junk out. Travel bubble mounted to the top. Cb, in. We leave Saturday night at Midnight so about 32 hours from now. Mostly packed up just some stuff to finish up. Bad thing is I have to work tomorrow also. So I am planning on staying up late tonight, then going to work pretty tired, then come home and get about 4 hours or so of sleep. Then wake up load up the car and family and depart the Chicago land area around midnight. Stopping at Ruby Falls for breakfast and a tour. Then continuing on to WDW. Our reservations don't start til Monday but book the Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway for Sunday night.

I told my 4 1/2 year old daughter she owes me a $1 for everytime she asks are we there yet.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #749
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ok, car ready, oil changed, vaccuumed, glass cleaned all miscellaneous junk out. Travel bubble mounted to the top. Cb, in. We leave Saturday night at Midnight so about 32 hours from now. Mostly packed up just some stuff to finish up. Bad thing is I have to work tomorrow also. So I am planning on staying up late tonight, then going to work pretty tired, then come home and get about 4 hours or so of sleep. Then wake up load up the car and family and depart the Chicago land area around midnight. Stopping at Ruby Falls for breakfast and a tour. Then continuing on to WDW. Our reservations don't start til Monday but book the Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway for Sunday night.

I told my 4 1/2 year old daughter she owes me a $1 for everytime she asks are we there yet.
that should take care of the gas bill. have a good time and safe trip!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #750
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:

Have a safe trip. Your not far from me so I am wishing you had room for one more person. lol

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: