Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #706
clandrum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Just chiming in!!

We'll be making the 19-hour drive from Tulsa in January. My 10-year old son and I did it this summer, but my boyfriend and his 12-year old son are both Disney AND long road trip virgins!

We're hoping to take turns driving and make it straight through. Our grand strategy for keeping the boys busy? TECHNOLOGY! They'll have their portable gaming units of various types, plus a DVD player. Both boys are pretty low-key, so I'm not anticipating any issues.

I can't wait! 89 days and counting!!
We are thinking about driving for the first time in Feb. 2011. We are from Wichita, Ks. Of course we will be driving through Tulsa on our way down. Would you mind sharing where you are going to stop and any trip info or even just some tips? We are thinking about stopping for the night in Birmingham, Al. at the Hyatt.

1st Disneyland trip June 2012 PPH
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #707
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
What's a KM?
It means Kilometers. That is what we use to determine speed not miles as you use.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #708
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

Dec. 25th we will be leaving for our 4th year driving from Halifax, Nova Scotia. This usually takes around 32 or so hours and we do it in 2 days. This is the first year we will be driving by ourselves as we usually have my daughter, but she is flying with the family. I love driving down, we get to see so much. My DF does all the driving as I sleep, or view the scenary. So im not sure of what route we take.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #709
bd2010
Earning My Ears

We will be driving to WDW later this month. Our route will consist of I-81, I-77, I-26, and then I-95. Since I-77 takes us through Charlotte, I was wondering what average traffic conditions are like there throughout the day. I'm estimating that we will be passing through during the afternoon. Are there certain times we should avoid due to rush hour, etc.?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #710
bd2010
Earning My Ears

Another question... Since we cannot anticipate when we'll stop for the night, what are some general recommendations for the best hotel chains? I realize there may be some bad apples, but are there hotel chains that are consistently better than others? My only requirement is clean.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #711
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney-Chick View Post
It means Kilometers. That is what we use to determine speed not miles as you use.
The winky face means I was joking.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #712
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
Here is some info from our recent drive down on 9/24 and return on 10/8

9/24-9/25
10:30am Left Ridley Park, PA
Didn't record PA/DE border time as it was only about 15 minutes
11:05 DE/MD border
12:55 MD/VA border
2:30ish Ate lunch at Spotsylvania Cracker Barrel (approx 40min)
5:35 VA/NC border
7:30 ate dinner at Fayetteville Shoneys (approx 40min)
8:50 NC/SC border
11:45 SC/GA
1:30am Kingsland GA Comfort Inn
9:10 left Kingsland after Waffle House breakfast
9:14 GA/FL border
11:57 Disneyworld
I must've skipped a little ahea -- I saw 8:50 NC/SC border and then 11:57 Disneyworld and I'm thinking, "Wow! This guy drives FAST!"

Ha.

Anyway, nice and detailed notes -- thanks. I always have fun comparing.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #713
shafke
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2010 View Post
We will be driving to WDW later this month. Our route will consist of I-81, I-77, I-26, and then I-95. Since I-77 takes us through Charlotte, I was wondering what average traffic conditions are like there throughout the day. I'm estimating that we will be passing through during the afternoon. Are there certain times we should avoid due to rush hour, etc.?

Thanks!
We passed through this area going north on the Friday of Labor weekend at around between 5 and 6 pm. Not the best time of day but we really had no choice. North of Charlotte was the worst part. It took approximately 45 minutes to go 10 miles. The traffic was so bad that we got off the interstate for at least 1/2 of that distance and took back road. Also of note, the traffice was just as bad going southbound into Charlotte. If you are there before rush hour though you should be ok.
Wilderness Lodge: Oct '02
Carribean Beach: Apr '05
Polynesian Resort: Aug '07
Fort Wilderness Cabins: Aug '10
Paradise Pier: Feb '13

My Disney Pics on SmugMug

The sky is blue because any other color would be stupid.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #714
blondietink
DIS Veteran

I know I have posted this before, but will say it again .... I HATE DRIVING THROUGH CHARLOTTE! It is the worst part of the road to Florida and back. That being said, in August on our way home we drove through charlotte northbound from Chapel Hill starte at about 5:45 pm. We made it to our hotel near Lake Norman in record time! The traffic southbound was another story.

We have found anything south of Statesville through Chapel Hill can be problematic with traffic at any time of day. If you are going southbound, I suggest you try and go though Charlotte after 7 pm if possible. Rush hour will be over by then. We have had good luck with this time. Afternoons are often bad with trucks.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #715
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Gettin' ready....

All the best. :
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #716
KnightFarms
DVC AKV

Favorite snacks?

We are leaving for a our first road trip with the kids in 1 WEEK!!!!!

Talk about last minute: the roof rack for the car will get delivered on Monday. I'll pick up the cargo box from my sister on either Sunday or Tuesday. I have class Tuesday and Wednesday night and an activity on Thursday night... looks like I have stuff to get done this weekend.

The PLAN: We're leaving Cleveland (down 77) between 8-9am Friday, will pick DSIL just south of Charlotte around 5-6pm-ish, stop over at her house for a few hours to decompress and wear out DD6 and DD4, then back on the road between 8-9pm with kiddos in their pj's, stop for breakfast somewhere cheap, and that will hopefully put us to WDW early, 8ish, and off to the parks. I figure that the 3 of us (all late 20's) can manage to break up the overnight ok. Shhhhhh, but what I'm really hoping is that DH and his sister will drive and I can sleep all night in order to get up with the girls in the morning. Thoughts on the plan?

I don't really have a plan for when we're leaving on Friday. We're not in a rush to get home necessarily... I've been planning the trip and the way there so much that I've kind of ignored the way home.

What everyone's favorite snack while they're on the road?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #717
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFarms View Post
What everyone's favorite snack while they're on the road?
I actually eat breath mints. I go through packs and packs of them -- but only when I'm on a long road trip. Almost never otherwise.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #718
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
I actually eat breath mints. I go through packs and packs of them -- but only when I'm on a long road trip. Almost never otherwise.
SLIM JIMS!!!!! i take the big one pound bag of mints (winter green) to eat while walking around the parks. i never touch either of them at home. dw and i quiet smoking in 2003 and we stopped together, i was a 3 pack a day,yup, not good. she was about 1/2 pack a day. we stopped in sept. and left for wdw 3 weeks later. i think i ate about 3 pounds of slim jims in the car that trip. now i dont smoke anymore but i have slim jim breath at all the rest stops. next time at a rest stop you see a guy eating a slim jim, its probley me!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #719
nono
DIS Veteran

Favorite snacks?

Pep-o-mint Lifesavers, Fireball Jawbreakers. Between these two, I simply can't fall asleep. It's more effective that caffeine for me.

I also bring some Baby Bel cheese (in the wax discs) because it's not messy and cut the weird hunger pangs I'll get out of nowhere during the overnight drive.

We usually also try to bring along some cold cheese pizza in the cooler. For some reason, cold pizza slices along the way just keep us all happy! The kids like it for breakfast.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #720
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Fave Snacks List:

Pretzels, possibly flavored ones like Honey Mustard
Nuts - we like to pick up a can of Stuckey's coated pecans on the way
Granola bars
Pop Tarts
Individual bags of chips, Doritos, Sun Chips or Pringles
Water and Capri Sun
Cooler with:
Peeled hard-boiled eggs, go-gurts, cheese sticks

We bring disposable bowls which can hold almost any snacks neatly.

We usually make a burger and fries or KFC stop along the way, then go out for dinner. We enjoyed a Steak n Shake last time, rather than McDonalds.

I try to avoid anything that could give me heartburn.

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: