Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #646
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorul82? View Post
Did you ever eat at Aunt Sarah's Pancake House before it closed?
No, but I bet it was good! There is a place down here (past Grifton) that is awesome. It's owned by some Mennonite folks and they have the most awesome breakfast. I dare say it's better than Waffle House. We're heading down this weekend for my birthday breakfast!!!
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #647
uicbear
Mouseketeer

Done the drive to the World from Chicago 3 times, but this last summer was the first "are we there yet?" trip as my nephew is now 5. Already planning our next drive down for July 2011!

2013CSR Sister's XMas Trip2013SSR W/BFF2012 Vero Beach 2011SSR W/Friends 2010 CSR Bday Trip 2010 SSR 2009 SSR Bday2008 SSR(Christmas)2008 Vero Beach; 2007 Saratoga Springs (Big Family Trip ); 2006 Saratoga Springs ; 2006 Contemporary; 2005 SSR(New DVC Member ); 2004 Pop; 2003 CBR; 2001CSR; 1997 Disney Institute-> Treehouse villas; 1988 Grad Nite(offsite)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #648
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Hi Everyone! Thinking of driving for Frb. school break from Mass. Wondering what 95 traffic might be that time of the year? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #649
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
Hi Everyone! Thinking of driving for Frb. school break from Mass. Wondering what 95 traffic might be that time of the year? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I'll be leaving from NY at the same time... I went during this week one other year and maybe it's because of how I timed the trip but traffic was pretty much the same as usual. It can get heavy around the cities of the NE and mid-Atlantic, and was largely clear after northern Virginia... with the usual exceptions for construction here and there.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #650
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea464 View Post
I'm at about 1300 miles round trip, but I'm still going to post here- it's an all day trip for us!

Woohoo! We live about thirty minutes east of Wilson. Beautiful little town. Try some of the BBQ next time! Or a Bojangles cheddarbo biscuit. True southern goodness right there! Bojangles is only one stop light down from the Cracker Barrel!
You're welcome to post here, of course!!

I've been wanting to go to Parker's since last year, and our schedule never works out for us. We usually get to Wilson too late on the way home, and pass it too early on the way down.

Where else would you recommend for a dinner in Wilson? We went to Duke's in Walterboro, SC and LOVED IT! Styrofoam plates and plastic utensils, trash cans in the dining room, paper towels and Sunbeam bread on the table. Any good "real" places like that?

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #651
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
We drove from PA last February and had no problems other than the TWO FEET OF SNOW on the way home

Traffic is a breeze because it's only "regular" stuff - no beach or weekend trip people.

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #652
HeatherC

Sharadoc....thanks for the input! I think it cannot be any worse than the summer, right? Even with weather, there should be a few less cars on the road that time of year.

Will probably leave around 6am and bypass NYC...should also help us miss Dc traffic if we hit that early afternoon. Unfortunately, we are big wimps and physically can't drive through the night. Even leaving at 3am this summer wrecked us. Neither of us wanted to drive later in the day because we just wanted sleep. What happened to those days of all-nighters! We are getting old....just can't do them anymore.

Now I have to save my pennies and convince dh...which is really not a problem.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #653
Nissi
Mouseketeer

This is on this thread somewhere...I'm just sure it has to be. But I can't read it all right now. (I'm at work...shhh)

We do not have AAA or any type of roadside assistance through our auto insurance or anyone else. Do you think it's wise to purchase it before the longggg road trip? (Ronkonkoma, Long Island, NY to WDW)??? Do you have it or have you purchased it before a long drive?

P.S. I just love this thread.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #654
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissi View Post
This is on this thread somewhere...I'm just sure it has to be. But I can't read it all right now. (I'm at work...shhh)

We do not have AAA or any type of roadside assistance through our auto insurance or anyone else. Do you think it's wise to purchase it before the longggg road trip? (Ronkonkoma, Long Island, NY to WDW)??? Do you have it or have you purchased it before a long drive?

P.S. I just love this thread.
It's a good safety net. I recommend it.

Also, the maps and brochures and junk they give you that you probably don't need can occupy your 4-year-old in the car for a little while.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #655
sorul82?
I have an alibi
I loved Farmer Ted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Where else would you recommend for a dinner in Wilson?
Most of the local places such as Bill's, Parkers, etc close around 9:00PM. I know of lots of restaurants between Wilson and Benson, it just depends on what time you are passing through.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #656
HeatherC

And don't forget the AAA discount if you stop along the way.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #657
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And don't forget the AAA discount if you stop along the way.
And the AAA discount...when applicable...at WDW!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #658
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

This might be important info for someone. My dh loves to read the trivia on the Snapple bottles. Yesterday he got this:

"It is illegal to run out of gas in Youngstown, OH." Yep, that's what it said. I checked it out online and evidently this really is the law there. So. any of you that might be traveling through Youngstown, make sure you gas up before you hit town!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #659
rak5701
Earning My Ears

Day after Thanksgiving Drive Home

We are planning to leave on Friday the day after Thanksgiving to heasd home to Maryland. Does anyone have experience traveling home that day? I was hoping it would be better than leaving on Saturday!!!!

Also, any good suggestions on where to stay on the way home? Somewhere a little more than half way home would be good!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #660
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak5701 View Post
We are planning to leave on Friday the day after Thanksgiving to heasd home to Maryland. Does anyone have experience traveling home that day? I was hoping it would be better than leaving on Saturday!!!!

Also, any good suggestions on where to stay on the way home? Somewhere a little more than half way home would be good!
ive never done it but my gutt feeling would be you should be ok. the travelers will be out on sunday heading home. the only thing i can see is its black friday. yes, that one day ever year that 20 billion women are out killing each other to save a dollar. just stay away from the shopping centers.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: