Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #631
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4dsny View Post
I'll give you the average times that I have for each state. You can kind of gauge how long it will take you to get to where you want to stop give or take. I made a little trip log and I averaged out all the times that I have. These are based on pretty much no traffic.

FL- 2hr 30min
GA- 1hr 40min
SC- 3hr
NC- 3hr
VA- 2hr 40min
MD- 1hr 50min
DE- 16min
NJ- 1hr 20min (Exit 13 NJTP)
NY- 1hr 15min (Exit 63 LIE)
This should be on the first page - first time I've seen this so concisely. I always underestimate Virginia, I think it should be 2 hours border to border.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #632
sharadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post
Thanks again for all of your great advice. What time do you suggest we leave WDW if we are not in a hurry to get home and plan to stop one night on the way.
We leave around noon if we're not in a hurry and drive to Wilson, NC for the night. They have some nicer "suite" hotels there and of course, a Cracker Barrel for a quick dinner. We like the Country Inn and Suites there - they actually have eggs for breakfast and not just the make-your-own waffles!! Nice people working there, too. It's a long drive the first day.

If you want a shorter first day, then stop around Florence, SC. There's lots of nice hotels there.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #633
nbs2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4dsny View Post
I'll give you the average times that I have for each state. You can kind of gauge how long it will take you to get to where you want to stop give or take. I made a little trip log and I averaged out all the times that I have. These are based on pretty much no traffic.

FL- 2hr 30min
GA- 1hr 40min
SC- 3hr
NC- 3hr
VA- 2hr 40min
MD- 1hr 50min
DE- 16min
NJ- 1hr 20min (Exit 13 NJTP)
NY- 1hr 15min (Exit 63 LIE)
Looking at this chart, leaving from MD, we can get down to WDW in 12.5 hours, plus a little time to get to the VA border and a little extra time since we'll probably do 81-77 instead of 95. So, maybe a total of 14 hours. This undercuts the Google Maps estimate of 16.25 hours by a massive chunk.

I had planned on an extra three hours during the drive to let the kids stretch their legs and not leak through diapers and the missus has decreed that a nonstop is out of the question. Well, she says it's okay if I am willing to deal with her grumpiness the next morning - so a "we're getting tired, priceline a hotel in the next hotel district" stop was planned. But 17 hours will have us getting to WDW at 10pm, where we'd just find something cheap and get our room the next morning.

Is there something I'm not getting?

Note: For the return, we'd leave in the afternoon, so this suggests that we could get to Savannah for the night.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #634
crzy4dsny
Yes, I'm Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2 View Post
Looking at this chart, leaving from MD, we can get down to WDW in 12.5 hours, plus a little time to get to the VA border and a little extra time since we'll probably do 81-77 instead of 95. So, maybe a total of 14 hours. This undercuts the Google Maps estimate of 16.25 hours by a massive chunk.

I had planned on an extra three hours during the drive to let the kids stretch their legs and not leak through diapers and the missus has decreed that a nonstop is out of the question. Well, she says it's okay if I am willing to deal with her grumpiness the next morning - so a "we're getting tired, priceline a hotel in the next hotel district" stop was planned. But 17 hours will have us getting to WDW at 10pm, where we'd just find something cheap and get our room the next morning.

Is there something I'm not getting?

Note: For the return, we'd leave in the afternoon, so this suggests that we could get to Savannah for the night.
I live out on Long Island about an hour east of Manhattan. I have made it from my house to Disney in 16.5 hours, which is what my GPS estimates. Your trip should be much shorter. I just did the trip from Disney to my sisters in VA in 11.5 hours. She is in northern VA in Woodbridge, I think it's exit 156 on 95. When I leave her house it's about 25 minutes to the MD border. Just add on how long it would take you to get to that point. Again, that is with no traffic and stopping just for gas and maybe a quick bite to eat. I always kid with my sister and say if I lived here I would drive to Disney every weekend. Don't forget this is an average of the times I have written down. It could take longer or ever a little shorter.
Coronado Springs 7/06
French Quarter 4/04
Riverside 7/03, 8/05, 5/06, 8/08, 8/09, 7/12
Polynesian 4/02, 8/10
Pop Century 8/10
Wilderness Lodge 11/03

Disney Magic Eastern 5/05
Disney Magic Western 5/06
Disney Magic Western 10/07
Old 09-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #635
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

We leave in just a few hours and I'll try to post an update of how our first drive went either tonight after the first leg (to Kingsland) or tomorrow after we get to WDW.

Of course I can't sleep - excited, didn't have dogs to wake me up in the middle of the night, and got up as if I had to get ready for work (why can I do that when I don't have to go work but when I do, that alarm goes off way too early)
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #636
BC1836
DIS Veteran

A recent drive (Wed.) from Ocean County, NJ to outside Richmond, VA encountered lots of construction in DE and MD but the late morning/midday drive encountered no traffic to speak of. With two quick rest stops, we still averaged 61 mph for the entire 6+ hour drive.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #637
sharadoc

Posting to get us back on page 1.

Waffle House or Huddle House? Discuss.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #638
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post

Blech! Can I pick neither?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #639
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

I'm at about 1300 miles round trip, but I'm still going to post here- it's an all day trip for us!
Quote:
We leave around noon if we're not in a hurry and drive to Wilson, NC for the night. They have some nicer "suite" hotels there and of course, a Cracker Barrel for a quick dinner. We like the Country Inn and Suites there - they actually have eggs for breakfast and not just the make-your-own waffles!! Nice people working there, too. It's a long drive the first day.

If you want a shorter first day, then stop around Florence, SC. There's lots of nice hotels there.
Woohoo! We live about thirty minutes east of Wilson. Beautiful little town. Try some of the BBQ next time! Or a Bojangles cheddarbo biscuit. True southern goodness right there! Bojangles is only one stop light down from the Cracker Barrel!

Quote:

Waffle House all the way!!! DH hates it, I love it. All-Star platter, hash browns instead of grits, bacon, scrambled, Coke to drink. HEAVEN (or at least one step closer thanks to all of the cholesterol)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Blech! Can I pick neither?
No. :lol:
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #640
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post
I will also look into Rocky Mount for our return trip.
Buzz kill here- Rocky Mount has some shady, scary areas to it. I'm not too familiar with the I-95 area there, but there are some scary parts I wouldn't go to there.
Wilson is much nicer, at least the area near 95 is. I've driven through there more times than I can count (used to drive through there back in the day before they built a bypass around it heading towards Raleigh), and that part of Wilson is nice. Wilson is only about 20 minutes south of RM.
Roanoke Rapids is closer to the VA border, and I think there are some nicer places near there too.
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #641
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea464 View Post
Buzz kill here- Rocky Mount has some shady, scary areas to it. I'm not too familiar with the I-95 area there, but there are some scary parts I wouldn't go to there.
Wilson is much nicer, at least the area near 95 is. I've driven through there more times than I can count (used to drive through there back in the day before they built a bypass around it heading towards Raleigh), and that part of Wilson is nice. Wilson is only about 20 minutes south of RM.
Roanoke Rapids is closer to the VA border, and I think there are some nicer places near there too.
The Rocky Mount hotel we booked is the Holiday Inn Rocky Mount - I95@US64. Tripadvisor.com reviewers mention easy access to the highway and give it very high ratings. So I'm assuming it is the I-95 area. We're only looking to stop for the night, no sightseeing. Though your info is good to know for anyone who might be spending more time visiting. Anyone got the scoop on this place?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #642
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Yesterday's drive along I-95 (from Norfolk, VA to the Jersey Shore; WDW next month!) wasn't bad at all, except for the DE toll plaza. Lines of 2+ miles north and south make this THE worst spot of all on the well-traveled interstate. Also an accident on I-95 south in northern MD caused a back up of 3+ miles. It was rough going for those heading south on I-95 in DE and MD yesterday.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #643
amcnj
DIS Veteran

My recollection is that Rocky Mt hotels are not right on 95 like in some other towns. I think it was a few miles east of 95. The Holiday Inn was nice. It has been more than a few years since I was there though, as now we try to reach VA before stopping on the way home.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #644
sorul82?
I have an alibi
I loved Farmer Ted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankshouse View Post
Though your info is good to know for anyone who might be spending more time visiting. Anyone got the scoop on this place?
I would trust the word of those of us who live near this area over reviews on trip advisor, regardless of if you are just staying the night or "spending more time visiting."

The scoop on the place is to not stay in Rocky Mount hotels. Choose something at exit 95/97 in Smithfield or 121 in Wilson.

Oh, and don't use that i95exitguide site. That site is laughable with misinformation for NC exits.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #645
sorul82?
I have an alibi
I loved Farmer Ted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea464 View Post

Waffle House all the way!!!
Did you ever eat at Aunt Sarah's Pancake House before it closed?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: