Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #601
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael's mom View Post
Would you be taking 95 straight down? How far away from Boston are you? We are planning on leaving sometime between 4pm and 7pm (haven't decided yet) for our drive down in April and from what I've read here and reports from friends who have driven, we'll miss all of the traffic. If we leave around 4, we may have a bit of traffic a little south of boston trying to jump on 95 but it shouldn't be too bad. That's why we haven't decided when we're leaving. On the one hand, I'd like to just get going and deal with whatever we hit in the Braintree/Dedham areas of MA traffic. On the other hand, if we eat dinner first and leave maybe at 6 or 7, DS will probably fall asleep in the car pretty soon after starting the drive down.

But, back to your trip, if you hit the Dedham MA area around 7pm you should miss all of the traffic in MA, and be through NYC and DC before rush hour. If we leave at 4, we figure we'll hit NYC between 8 and 9 and DC between midnight and 1am. I haven't heard anyone report tough traffic anywhere else on 95 south of DC.

Best of luck!
Thanks! We are about two hours north of Boston, and we'd be taking 495 to I think it's 84? Then picking up 95 further south. You're right, I think leaving a little later is better. If we can arrange for DS to miss school on Friday, we may leave Thursday night around 6 or 7 PM.

This may seem like an odd question, but since we're in Maine we have studded snow tires. Is there any problem with having these on in the southern states?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #602
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Alright -- You write a book about Disney, BC1836 can edit and I'll proof. Now all we need is a publisher and some up front money . . .
Indeed!
But the BC1836 editing chores will have to be put on hold: writing a Disney-related book is priority number one right now. [Details after the manuscript is handed in.]
The laptop travels with us on all 2,000+ mile round-trip drives.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian

Last edited by BC1836; 09-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #603
shafke
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankshouse View Post
Too funny but husband and I are trying to plan a trip down during February break and with the high cost of flying, I'm trying to convince him to drive. We're also at Exit 63 off the LIE...LOL!! We've driven to FL once before when kids were tiny and this past summer did a road trip to NC. Although there were a few moments when I doubted my sanity, I think I'm actually starting to look forward to a drive down. Saw your comments on departure times and overnights to FL (Kingsland, GA?) but was wondering what you guys recommend for the trip home? I'm pretty sure that straight through won't work for us and considering the hotel has an 11am checkout, I was wondering what time you usually hit the road and where you recommend staying? Thanks for the help
For the trip home we like to get at least 1/2 way there. That would bring you to northern NC/Southern VA. Last time I checked hotels were cheaper in NC.

We are also heading down next Feb (alas not for Disney) but decided on taking the AutoTrain.
Wilderness Lodge: Oct '02
Carribean Beach: Apr '05
Polynesian Resort: Aug '07
Fort Wilderness Cabins: Aug '10
Paradise Pier: Feb '13

My Disney Pics on SmugMug

The sky is blue because any other color would be stupid.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #604
2busy4life
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Alright -- You write a book about Disney, BC1836 can edit and I'll proof. Now all we need is a publisher and some up front money . . .
I can do the website!!! we still need the publisher and the $$ up front
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #605
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
I can handle the print!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #606
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Any suggestions or warnings for lodging in the Florence, SC, area? We are splitting the drive down for two nights on the road -- first night in the Florence area, second night at Ormond Beach -- a shuttle launch is scheduled late that afternoon so hopefully we will get to see it, already have that room reserved. Just need to make a decision (or wing it?) for Florence hotel.
We really liked the Springhill Suites. We stayed there in January 09 and it was right after it opened. Good breakfast with actual eggs and meat!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #607
HoltDisney07
Mouseketeer

Subscribing to the new thread....after reading/skimming part I. We are thinking of driving from Maryland (next September...yes I am a little bit of an OCD planner. ) Great ideas so far in the thread.

We are thinking of leaving about 6pm and making the drive straight. We have three littles ones that will be 7,5 and almost 3 at the time so the night drive should be better for us. DH used to be in a band so we have thousands of miles under our belt and are looking forward to the drive and having lots of energy drinks along the way.
August '12 - Offsite (Silver Lake)
July/August '13 - POR
Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #608
DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Too funny but husband and I are trying to plan a trip down during February break and with the high cost of flying, I'm trying to convince him to drive. We're also at Exit 63 off the LIE...LOL!! We've driven to FL once before when kids were tiny and this past summer did a road trip to NC. Although there were a few moments when I doubted my sanity, I think I'm actually starting to look forward to a drive down. Saw your comments on departure times and overnights to FL (Kingsland, GA?) but was wondering what you guys recommend for the trip home? I'm pretty sure that straight through won't work for us and considering the hotel has an 11am checkout, I was wondering what time you usually hit the road and where you recommend staying? Thanks for the help
Thanks for asking about the return trip. I have been concentrating so much on the trip going, I have not put in any thought about when to leave Disney and where to stay. Very funny about the Exit 63 thing. My children go to Sequoya.
05/2002--Wilderness Lodge 1st w/DS
05/2003--Wilderness Lodge
12/2004--Disney Magic and Animal Kingdom Lodge
09/2005--10 Nights at Wilderness Lodge for Birthday Celebrations!!!
09/2006--8 Nights at Wilderness Lodge
09/2007--Port Orleans, French Quarters--MNSSHP No. 3!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #609
nytimez
Nihilist

Bumped because I can't stand the thought of this thread being on the second page!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #610
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post
Thanks for asking about the return trip. I have been concentrating so much on the trip going, I have not put in any thought about when to leave Disney and where to stay. Very funny about the Exit 63 thing. My children go to Sequoya.
This thread has been great for nailing down the details. I wound up booking in Rocky Mount, NC already for next Feb's return trip. Can't believe but it looks like some of these popular stops are filling up. I'm also the type that likes to know where we're heading. We're at the north end of Rte. 83 in Miller Place, still find it so funny that as I was actively working on the route to drive when I found this thread. Love it!!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #611
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This thread has been great for nailing down the details. I wound up booking in Rocky Mount, NC already for next Feb's return trip. Can't believe but it looks like some of these popular stops are filling up. I'm also the type that likes to know where we're heading. We're at the north end of Rte. 83 in Miller Place, still find it so funny that as I was actively working on the route to drive when I found this thread. Love it!!
Welcome to the "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread!

Indeed, this thread's participants are among the most courteous and well-informed folks on the DISboards.

We all benefit by sharing our common driving concerns.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #612
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
If you're on LI, the best thing to do is convince a relative to move to North Carolina. You'll always have a place to stay at the midpoint!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #613
2princesses2princes
Tav

This thread is awesome. I just finished reading through all 42 pages of posts! I am so excited but yet nervous for our first ever drive from SouthWest Michigan down to POR. Our trip isn't til Feb 2011, but we are getting super excited and I am planning my heart out. I have no idea what to expect on a 1300 mile one way road trip with 4 kiddos. Not to mention February around the great lakes can be AWEFUL. Any tips or suggestions are oh so welcome. Oh yeah and might I add our 2 yr old gets cars sick, fun stuff.

The plan is to leave on Thursday sometime and drive straight through to POR and arrive early afternoon on Friday. So what time would you all suggest we leave? The route we plan to take is I94 to I-69 to I465 to I-65 to I-24 to I75. We are hoping to arrive at POR with enough time to wind down, take a short swim, a nap and be to the Contemporary by 4:30 or so for our 5:00 ressies at Chef Mickeys.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #614
Mickeylover65
Earning My Ears

Smile Driving from Michigan

I too am going in February 2011. I have driven to Disney many times. Just do lots of checking on the weather forecasts and be flexible enough so that you can avoid any big snow storms. I will be leaving from Lansing and always take the I-75 route down. It is a little less boring than I-65 etc. Good luck and have a great time.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #615
DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly---if it was not for this thread, I would of been leaving Long Island probably 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday in August.

I will also look into Rocky Mount for our return trip.
05/2002--Wilderness Lodge 1st w/DS
05/2003--Wilderness Lodge
12/2004--Disney Magic and Animal Kingdom Lodge
09/2005--10 Nights at Wilderness Lodge for Birthday Celebrations!!!
09/2006--8 Nights at Wilderness Lodge
09/2007--Port Orleans, French Quarters--MNSSHP No. 3!!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: