Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #586
DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
You should be fine. we leave about 5 am from central NJ and never have had a problem. Washington DC is probably the worst place to be. Once you are past there usually not much traffic. Up until 2003, we always drove straight through except 3 times when we stopped outside Atlanta to visit family and the 2 times we flew.

We drove from when I was pregnant with my first child in 1977 to now when we've driven with the children and one grandchild! We never had any problems driving with kids of any age. (we also drove cross country 3 times when the kids were 6-12 yr ages!!) Our last trips have had the stop off just outside Atlanta. It's a pretty neat place to visit as well. We were on exit 109 in GA.
Thanks for your input. My guess is that we would be around 3 hours away from central NJ. I am really looking foward to the drive---I have always wanted to do it as a child, but we always flew to Florida. My kids think I am crazy, but I think they will enjoy it also.
05/2002--Wilderness Lodge 1st w/DS
05/2003--Wilderness Lodge
12/2004--Disney Magic and Animal Kingdom Lodge
09/2005--10 Nights at Wilderness Lodge for Birthday Celebrations!!!
09/2006--8 Nights at Wilderness Lodge
09/2007--Port Orleans, French Quarters--MNSSHP No. 3!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #587
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Typo! "Haste Makes Waste!"

{and I'm an editor, no less!}
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I'm a proofreader -- always got in trouble for fixing the editor's mistakes.
And I'm a writer. I keep editors and proofreaders employed.
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #588
crzy4dsny
Yes, I'm Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post
Thanks so much for posting. I was hoping you would reply since I have read all of your posts on this thread and knew you were a fellow Long Islander. I do not know what I was thinking before, because we are actually also at Exit 63. Today was such a bad traffic day on the LIE that I think I totally lost my mind when I typed Exit 53. We live in Holtsville.

I think I am going to make hotel reservations in both Savanah and Kingsland and see how far we can go. I am glad that you think we will be fine at 2:00 a.m. I really did not want to leave any earlier than that and was getting a little concerned about the beach traffic. I am sure I will have lots more questions. Thanks again.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Kingsland. There are about 8 hotels there all right off of 95. There are several places to eat and a Walmart about 10 minutes away. I think the beach traffic starts a little later, you will be thru before it starts.
Coronado Springs 7/06
French Quarter 4/04
Riverside 7/03, 8/05, 5/06, 8/08, 8/09, 7/12
Polynesian 4/02, 8/10
Pop Century 8/10
Wilderness Lodge 11/03

Disney Magic Eastern 5/05
Disney Magic Western 5/06
Disney Magic Western 10/07
Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #589
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Next month we will be catching the Auto-train on a Saturday afternoon. We will be picking up the interstate system in Harrisburg, PA. and expect to be near Baltimore around 11 am. Which way should I go around/through Baltimore and DC to get to Lorton, VA? TIA!
Anybody? We can either catch I83 or I81, it really doesn't matter to us.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #590
Tina
Tagless and bitter about it but apparently only thing I hate is when I 'spring a wire. ;-)

Quote:
Anybody? We can either catch I83 or I81, it really doesn't matter to us.
Due to construction on the west side of the beltway, I recommend heading around the east side of the loop. It may be slightly longer in distance, but worth it in avoiding the traffic through construction zones.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #591
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

What time does the Florida Welcome Center close?

We are driving down in April and probably stopping somewhere past Jacksonville, maybe Palm Coast. We really want to stop at the Florida Welcome Center and get some of that OJ. Last year we stayed in Kingsland and got to the Welcome Center too early.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #592
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

We just booked a stay at the Comfort Inn in Kingsland for Friday night - king room for $50. We probably won't get there until 10pm-12am but a few hours rest before the short drive through Fl will be nice. And we won't be groggy on Sat and will be able to enjoy Epcot for the afternoon/evening.

I'm so excited. Our first drive is less than a week away. And we switched which car we will be driving. Instead of the Mariner, which we will use in Dec, we're taking the Fusion. Less driving for me, and more for DH - the rule is whoever's car we take has to be primary driver based on comfort level with the vehicle. I secretly think DH just wanted a more active role in the trip and/or he knows he barely puts any mileage on his car (50 a week) and I use mine much more (200 a week).
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #593
michael's mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenjess View Post
Hi all you driving experts! I've lurked on this thread but this is my first post here. We drove once in 2004 (we live in southern Maine) but we usually fly. Up until now we've been able to pull the kids out of school and go during the slower times, and when flights are reasonble. Now our oldest has started high school as we can't do that. We had pretty much resigned ourselves that school year vacations are out of the question, as flights are outrageously priced over school vacation weeks.

Now I'm itching to plan a trip! How crazy would it be to drive from Maine to Disney over February vacation? We could leave about midday on Friday, and then leave to come back the following Friday. It's tough to time a trip from here without hitting rush hour somewhere in the northeast. Any suggestions or tips, or should I just forget the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!
Would you be taking 95 straight down? How far away from Boston are you? We are planning on leaving sometime between 4pm and 7pm (haven't decided yet) for our drive down in April and from what I've read here and reports from friends who have driven, we'll miss all of the traffic. If we leave around 4, we may have a bit of traffic a little south of boston trying to jump on 95 but it shouldn't be too bad. That's why we haven't decided when we're leaving. On the one hand, I'd like to just get going and deal with whatever we hit in the Braintree/Dedham areas of MA traffic. On the other hand, if we eat dinner first and leave maybe at 6 or 7, DS will probably fall asleep in the car pretty soon after starting the drive down.

But, back to your trip, if you hit the Dedham MA area around 7pm you should miss all of the traffic in MA, and be through NYC and DC before rush hour. If we leave at 4, we figure we'll hit NYC between 8 and 9 and DC between midnight and 1am. I haven't heard anyone report tough traffic anywhere else on 95 south of DC.

Best of luck!

DH Me DS DD Chloe Louie
1980-1989 many times at Polynesian;1990, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002 CBR;2004 CBR Honeymoon;2007 CBR Baby's 1st trip; 2009 Grand Gathering at POR;
2011 Wedding and Grand Gathering at our home...CBR Pirate style; 2013 CBR Baby's 1st trip
Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #594
DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
DIS Veteran

How far in advance should you book your hotel room? We plan on staying overnight in either Savanah or Kingsland. Do the hotel rates change or do they basically stay the same? Any hotel suggesions? Thanks.
05/2002--Wilderness Lodge 1st w/DS
05/2003--Wilderness Lodge
12/2004--Disney Magic and Animal Kingdom Lodge
09/2005--10 Nights at Wilderness Lodge for Birthday Celebrations!!!
09/2006--8 Nights at Wilderness Lodge
09/2007--Port Orleans, French Quarters--MNSSHP No. 3!!!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #595
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
And I'm a writer. I keep editors and proofreaders employed.
Alright -- You write a book about Disney, BC1836 can edit and I'll proof. Now all we need is a publisher and some up front money . . .
Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #596
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Any suggestions or warnings for lodging in the Florence, SC, area? We are splitting the drive down for two nights on the road -- first night in the Florence area, second night at Ormond Beach -- a shuttle launch is scheduled late that afternoon so hopefully we will get to see it, already have that room reserved. Just need to make a decision (or wing it?) for Florence hotel.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #597
blondietink
DIS Veteran

There are many different hotels at the Florence exit, along with very cheap gas ... it was the cheapest gas we encountered on our way down to Florida in August. We like to drive over to Darlington Speedway as a diversion to look at the track.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #598
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post
How far in advance should you book your hotel room? We plan on staying overnight in either Savanah or Kingsland. Do the hotel rates change or do they basically stay the same? Any hotel suggesions? Thanks.
I booked the red roof inn in kingsland for october 8th - i signed up to be a member of their rewards program and got the room for 46 for the night.
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #599
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

Another Long Islander checking in with a question!

Too funny but husband and I are trying to plan a trip down during February break and with the high cost of flying, I'm trying to convince him to drive. We're also at Exit 63 off the LIE...LOL!! We've driven to FL once before when kids were tiny and this past summer did a road trip to NC. Although there were a few moments when I doubted my sanity, I think I'm actually starting to look forward to a drive down. Saw your comments on departure times and overnights to FL (Kingsland, GA?) but was wondering what you guys recommend for the trip home? I'm pretty sure that straight through won't work for us and considering the hotel has an 11am checkout, I was wondering what time you usually hit the road and where you recommend staying? Thanks for the help
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #600
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are many different hotels at the Florence exit, along with very cheap gas ... it was the cheapest gas we encountered on our way down to Florida in August. We like to drive over to Darlington Speedway as a diversion to look at the track.
I didn't know that was in the area. I hope there aren't any races planned Oct. 31! Thanks for the reply, I'll tell dh to push it to get gas there.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: