Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #571
BC1836
DIS Veteran

"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" All-Time Records [updated 10/16/10]

Most Total Drives: 48 (since 1973) dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade: 19 (2002-2010) bc1836

Most Drives in one Calendar Year: 4 (two times: 2008 & 2009) bc1836 and (once: 2009) cruisingkat

Most Drives in one 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09) cruisingkat

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009) cruisingkat

Longest Drive: ?

Most Passengers in One Vehicle: ?

[Please update this information!]

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #572
Fwd Facing Tentacles
Earning My Ears

I'm about to pack the computer away for our trip home tomorrow. We had a great 9 days here. The trip down was easy and uneventful except for an accident that closed 95 in southern SC for an exit and took us and a whole lot of other cars on a detour that added 1/2 hour to our trip. The parks were not crowded at all except for the weekend. It's a good time to come except that every time you leave your room you have to decide whether to dress for the 90 degree outdoor temperatures or the cold air conditioning you find everywhere indoors.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #573
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" All-Time Records [updated 10/16/10]
Please tell me that's a typo and I didn't just lose a month somewhere.

Again.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #574
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post

Again.
Typo! "Haste Makes Waste!"

{and I'm an editor, no less!}
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #575
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwd Facing Tentacles View Post
I'm about to pack the computer away for our trip home tomorrow. We had a great 9 days here. The trip down was easy and uneventful except for an accident that closed 95 in southern SC for an exit and took us and a whole lot of other cars on a detour that added 1/2 hour to our trip. The parks were not crowded at all except for the weekend. It's a good time to come except that every time you leave your room you have to decide whether to dress for the 90 degree outdoor temperatures or the cold air conditioning you find everywhere indoors.
Last night dinner at the CG...and then the MK. Cool.
May you have a safe ride home.
[And did you ever miss some horrrible storms that passed through these parts earlier...another line of of smaller storms approaching!]
All the best.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #576
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Next month we will be catching the Auto-train on a Saturday afternoon. We will be picking up the interstate system in Harrisburg, PA. and expect to be near Baltimore around 11 am. Which way should I go around/through Baltimore and DC to get to Lorton, VA? TIA!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #577
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Typo! "Haste Makes Waste!"

{and I'm an editor, no less!}
I'm a proofreader -- always got in trouble for fixing the editor's mistakes.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #578
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Next month we will be catching the Auto-train on a Saturday afternoon. We will be picking up the interstate system in Harrisburg, PA. and expect to be near Baltimore around 11 am. Which way should I go around/through Baltimore and DC to get to Lorton, VA? TIA!
Are you picking up 81 or 83 in Harrisburg? That might make a difference in what experienced folk will tell you.

Please let me know how your trip turns out. Is this a first on the AutoTrain for you?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #579
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

Hi all you driving experts! I've lurked on this thread but this is my first post here. We drove once in 2004 (we live in southern Maine) but we usually fly. Up until now we've been able to pull the kids out of school and go during the slower times, and when flights are reasonble. Now our oldest has started high school as we can't do that. We had pretty much resigned ourselves that school year vacations are out of the question, as flights are outrageously priced over school vacation weeks.

Now I'm itching to plan a trip! How crazy would it be to drive from Maine to Disney over February vacation? We could leave about midday on Friday, and then leave to come back the following Friday. It's tough to time a trip from here without hitting rush hour somewhere in the northeast. Any suggestions or tips, or should I just forget the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #580
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Are you picking up 81 or 83 in Harrisburg? That might make a difference in what experienced folk will tell you.

Please let me know how your trip turns out. Is this a first on the AutoTrain for you?
I can catch either route as we will be getting on from Rte 15. Makes no difference to me, just want the easiest, fastest route with the least traffic on a Saturday.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #581
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post

Again.
Yay! My next trip is closer than I thought!!!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #582
DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
DIS Veteran

I also have been lurking on this thread for a few weeks now. We took off a couple of years going to Disney to explore other vacations. Well, now our two children have major Disney withdrawals and we are planning on going the last two weeks of next August.

This will be our first time driving---it is something that I have always wanted to do. I think I am the only one in my family looking foward to it. Anyway, this thread has provided so much information and I would like to thank everyone.

Our plans are to leave Saturday, August 20th at 2:00 a.m. We will be leaving from Exit 53 on the Long Island Expressway which is out in Suffolk County. Will this time work? I am now concerned about Virginia beach traffic that I have read about. We plan on stopping over in Savanah, Georgia (which I learned from this thread) for that Saturday night and then leave early the next morning to arrive at a decent time and refreshed. Does this sound like a sound plan? My children will be DD12 and DS11 so they should be able to go with the flow.
05/2002--Wilderness Lodge 1st w/DS
05/2003--Wilderness Lodge
12/2004--Disney Magic and Animal Kingdom Lodge
09/2005--10 Nights at Wilderness Lodge for Birthday Celebrations!!!
09/2006--8 Nights at Wilderness Lodge
09/2007--Port Orleans, French Quarters--MNSSHP No. 3!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #583
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post
I also have been lurking on this thread for a few weeks now. We took off a couple of years going to Disney to explore other vacations. Well, now our two children have major Disney withdrawals and we are planning on going the last two weeks of next August.

This will be our first time driving---it is something that I have always wanted to do. I think I am the only one in my family looking foward to it. Anyway, this thread has provided so much information and I would like to thank everyone.

Our plans are to leave Saturday, August 20th at 2:00 a.m. We will be leaving from Exit 53 on the Long Island Expressway which is out in Suffolk County. Will this time work? I am now concerned about Virginia beach traffic that I have read about. We plan on stopping over in Savanah, Georgia (which I learned from this thread) for that Saturday night and then leave early the next morning to arrive at a decent time and refreshed. Does this sound like a sound plan? My children will be DD12 and DS11 so they should be able to go with the flow.
You should be fine. we leave about 5 am from central NJ and never have had a problem. Washington DC is probably the worst place to be. Once you are past there usually not much traffic. Up until 2003, we always drove straight through except 3 times when we stopped outside Atlanta to visit family and the 2 times we flew.

We drove from when I was pregnant with my first child in 1977 to now when we've driven with the children and one grandchild! We never had any problems driving with kids of any age. (we also drove cross country 3 times when the kids were 6-12 yr ages!!) Our last trips have had the stop off just outside Atlanta. It's a pretty neat place to visit as well. We were on exit 109 in GA.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #584
crzy4dsny
Yes, I'm Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR View Post

Done the trip 4 times from exit 63, were almost neighbors. 2am is a perfect time to leave. Three of our trips we left on a Saturday at 2am, just like you have planned. The last one on 8/23 we left at midnight because it was a Monday morning drove straight thru and got there at 4:30. One trip leaving at 2, we drove straight thru got to Disney at 8:25pm. The other two we stopped in Kingsland GA. Kingsland is right on the Florida border. It's 2.5 hours from there to Disney. VA Beach traffic was never an issue with us. You should be in NC around 9:15-9:45 so you are passing thru there early. If you need any more info let me know.
Coronado Springs 7/06
French Quarter 4/04
Riverside 7/03, 8/05, 5/06, 8/08, 8/09, 7/12
Polynesian 4/02, 8/10
Pop Century 8/10
Wilderness Lodge 11/03

Disney Magic Eastern 5/05
Disney Magic Western 5/06
Disney Magic Western 10/07
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #585
DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4dsny View Post
Done the trip 4 times from exit 63, were almost neighbors. 2am is a perfect time to leave. Three of our trips we left on a Saturday at 2am, just like you have planned. The last one on 8/23 we left at midnight because it was a Monday morning drove straight thru and got there at 4:30. One trip leaving at 2, we drove straight thru got to Disney at 8:25pm. The other two we stopped in Kingsland GA. Kingsland is right on the Florida border. It's 2.5 hours from there to Disney. VA Beach traffic was never an issue with us. You should be in NC around 9:15-9:45 so you are passing thru there early. If you need any more info let me know.
Thanks so much for posting. I was hoping you would reply since I have read all of your posts on this thread and knew you were a fellow Long Islander. I do not know what I was thinking before, because we are actually also at Exit 63. Today was such a bad traffic day on the LIE that I think I totally lost my mind when I typed Exit 53. We live in Holtsville.

I think I am going to make hotel reservations in both Savanah and Kingsland and see how far we can go. I am glad that you think we will be fine at 2:00 a.m. I really did not want to leave any earlier than that and was getting a little concerned about the beach traffic. I am sure I will have lots more questions. Thanks again.
05/2002--Wilderness Lodge 1st w/DS
05/2003--Wilderness Lodge
12/2004--Disney Magic and Animal Kingdom Lodge
09/2005--10 Nights at Wilderness Lodge for Birthday Celebrations!!!
09/2006--8 Nights at Wilderness Lodge
09/2007--Port Orleans, French Quarters--MNSSHP No. 3!!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: