Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #556
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneOT View Post
We will be driving a Subaru Forester with AWD and its a really great SUV. Im really quite frightened of the winter storms and icy roads, but its the only time we are being given from work.

Has anyone driven in winter...January specifically???
ive driven a few. about 12 in december, 14 in january. like i said, watch the weather forcast. if theres a noreaster blowin in to ny on a sat night,and your planning on getting home sat. night, make sure you leave and get home before the storm. or, spend an extra day on the road down south,or stay at wdw an extra day and let the plows get the roads cleaned up than head home. chance are, unless its a 3 foot storm, they have the roads cleared quickly. it realy dont take them long if a 12 inch storm blows in to clear 95. one year, we took off from home around 3am, we were about 2 hours into the trip and it started sleeting. the trucks were going about 25 mph, i stopped next to a truck and the driver said just pull off, its not worth it. we sat along i78 till about 5am,the roads were a sheet of ice. we had a blast, i was talking to the truck driver,another family heading to wdw pulled in in front of me. around 5 am the state salt trucks drove by and we all left.the sun came out and we were on our way. 2007 i was down in december, we watch the weather channel every night. they were calling for an ice storm on sat. night,the night we were to arrive home. we left a day early from wdw and we got home well before the storm. if you recall, that was the storm were on the news, the philly and dc airports were closed for ever. people sleeping in the terminals on the floor. i, was in my warm bed.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #557
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebymarriage View Post
We haven't driven in January but, we did drive down this past Feb.(5th-13th Disney)(13th-16th visiting family in Port Charlotte, fla.). We live in northern NJ,(bergen county).

Anyway, our original plan was to leave after the kids got out of school on the 5th, then DH said we should leave at lunchtime, so that was plan #2. Well, we had been watching the weather channel and the weather on the news obsessively for a week or two before the trip. we had always been lucky going down in the winter months and i had a feeling our luck was going to run out. Sure enough a blizzard was heading our way and it was going to hit Washington and Virginia hard. When we returned home from DD13 basketball game at around 7pm the night of Feb.4th we turned on the weather channel and heard the latest blizzard report, it was not good. The blizzard was due to slam Washington and Virginia by noon the next day. DH said to me "we gotta go soon or we are going to get stuck". Both kids hit the showers while DH packed the car. We decided to sleep for a couple of hours and were on the road by 12:30am, and thank God we left when we did because Washington, Virginia and Maryland got hit really hard. Normally when we drive through the night I sleep as much as possible the day before but, that day I didn't because we weren't supposed to leave until noon the next day.

We didn't have any problems on the way down just some torrential rain in parts of South Carolina and Georgia. When we got to the Florida welcome center I called Buena Vista Suites to see if they had avilability for that night and they did, our ressie at Pop didn't start until the 6th. My advice if you are traveling in the winter is to make sure you really keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to leave a day early if necessary. Good Luck.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #558
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone driven in winter...January specifically???
The only time (last January) was affected by snow.

The travelling party...me, my DH, our granddaughter (at the time, 15 months old) and DH's parents who live near Knoxville. Two cars.

Our ressies began on Sunday. Our original plans was to leave Friday night from Northern Kentucky and stay with my in-laws. Saturday, we would get as far as Southern Georgia or Northern Florida. Sunday would be an easy drive to Disney.

Until we heard about the snow/ice storm that was to hit Tennessee Friday night.

We left about 7 AM Friday morning, and my in-laws left a few hours later. We met up at a rest area about an hour south of Knoxville about 11 AM.

We stopped for lunch in Chattanooga about noon. During lunch, the snow started falling...several hours earlier than expected.

We drove through ice and snow for about an hour before it turned to all rain. We spent the night about an hour south of Atlanta.

Since we were four hours south of where we expected to be Friday night, we would have been able to drive into Orlando. Instead, we drove to Tarpon Springs on the Gulf coast (we've spent time there before, and throughly enjoyed it). From there, it's a very short drive Sunday to Disney.

That said...you have to anticipate snow and ice. But, except for the snow belt area along the eastern Great Lakes region, it happens only a few times each winter.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #559
jasko5990
In Valor There Is Hope

Quote:
We are planning our first drive to the world in January!! We've done our past 5 visits flying but we are planning two visits in 2011 and we decided we would fly once (in August) and drive once.

We are driving from NYC, so I know I will find alot of pointers from Northeast folks!!
If you don't mind starting your trip late at night, I'd recommend leaving so you get through Washington DC on I-95 before 6am. We always leave around midnight, which gets us through DC around 3am and allows us to avoid any traffic congestion in the northern section of I-95. Since we drive straight through it also gets us onto WDW property around 4pm, thus avoiding the afternoon rush hour traffic on I-4 in the Orlando area.
1976 Polynesian, 1980 Polynesian, 1985 Disney Institute Resort, 1986 Off-Site, 1993 Polynesian, 2002 Off-Site, 2003 Off-Site, 2004 Wilderness Lodge Villas, 2005 Beach Club, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2005 Wilderness Lodge Villas, 2006 Beach Club Villas, 2007 Disney Wonder, 2007 Beach Club Villas, 2007 Yacht Club, 2008 Disney Wonder, 2008 Hilton Head Island Villas, 2008 Beach Club Villas, 2008 Disney Wonder, 2008 Disneyland Hotel, 2009 Wilderness Lodge Villas, 2009 Vero Beach Villas, 2009 Disney Wonder, 2011 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Hilton Head Island Villas, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 Disney Wonder Alaska, 2014 Disney Dream
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #560
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Rethinking our route because dd went around DC (west side) this past Saturday and said there was no traffic at all. She got to Williamsburg in four hours. It takes us five hours going 81-64 (avoiding DC). I'm thinking that if she knocked an hour off by going around DC, then maybe we should consider this.

In planning our trip, instead of doing 81-77-26-95, I am now thinking about using her route -- 15-270-495-95.

We would hit 495 in the early afternoon on Sunday, Oct. 31. Those who have btdt, please tell me whether this is a good idea. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #561
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but....is it better to go east or west around DC on 95??
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #562
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but....is it better to go east or west around DC on 95??
Neither. Straight through on I-95. HOWEVER, it all depends upon when you reach that infamous driving area. You must pass through prior to 6 a.m. (perhaps 5:30 on a Friday; non-summer weekends are not that problematic). East or West or North or South in that area during rush hour means anything but "rush."

All the best.

[19 drives to WDW since 2002]
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #563
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

We will be hitting it around 1pm on a Friday afternoon. I'm expecting heavy volume but not as bad as getting there between 3 and 4 and sitting in a parking lot.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #564
cemeb4dk
Mouseketeer

Just thought it would be interesting, to see how many people that have driven this trip do it on a higher mileage vehicle.

My wife has an 03 trailblazer that we will be taking down and it will be making its 4th trip I believe. She has about 122K miles on it and it runs perfect, I have done all the general required stuff, and just wrapping up a few more things before we leave next month. So we will probably just be under 125K when we leave.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #565
Harryo
Mouseketeer

We just made the trip from Mass to Orlando in our 2000 Chevy Venture this past June with 236,000 miles on it!!!

[/url]
Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #566
cemeb4dk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryo View Post
We just made the trip from Mass to Orlando in our 2000 Chevy Venture this past June with 236,000 miles on it!!!
WOW that is awesome, I have nothing to worry about then. Does your venture have the inline 6 in it? I know these engines run forever, but as I know it will make it no problems, and 125K is not high mileage anymore.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #567
Harryo
Mouseketeer

Yup, slant 6's run forever!!

[/url]
Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #568
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post
Just thought it would be interesting, to see how many people that have driven this trip do it on a higher mileage vehicle.

My wife has an 03 trailblazer that we will be taking down and it will be making its 4th trip I believe. She has about 122K miles on it and it runs perfect, I have done all the general required stuff, and just wrapping up a few more things before we leave next month. So we will probably just be under 125K when we leave.
We have an 05 Dodge Grand Caravan that is perfectly maintained and in perfect shape! Has about 80,000 miles on it and we expect to have it for many years and drives to Disney! Our mechanic told us these engines will run forever with proper maintenance, including flushing the transmission and cooling system and we listen!

Our 94 Caravan made the trip last January. That has 140,000 miles on it and runs great as well. The A/C went on that or we would probably still be driving that one.

Maintenance is key.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #569
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! All-Time Records:

[Please add, update or correct all "statistics."]

Most total drives: #48 [since 1973] dvczerfs

Most drives in one year: #4 [twice: 2009 & 2010] bc1836

Most drives in one decade: #19 [2002-2010] bc1836

Longest drive: ?

Most passengers in one vehicle: ?

additional categories...?
We also made 4 drives in 2009 well actually 4 and a half as we did a return from our 12/08 drive down in Jan 2009. In a 365 day period from the middle Dec 2008 to middle Dec 2009, we did 5 round trip drives.

I believe we also hold the record for shortest time home between drives - in 2009, we got home from our Oct trip and left 19 days later to drive down for our Nov/Dec trip.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #570
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post
How about an older vehicle with low mileage? Our 2000 Subaru Legacy (inherited from fil and sat in garage for two years after his death until we were able to receive it) is just under 60,000 miles right now. It has been to FL twice since we got it. And it's going to the mechanic next week for a once over to make sure everything is in good shape for the trip. Personally, I'd rather travel in a bigger car but "free" is good.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: