Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #526
mum2simon
Mouseketeer

I am joining in here! We will be driving down to the world from the Providence, RI area in 18 days!!!! Woo Hoo! Getting very excited.

This is not our first time driving to WDW from the northeast (we have done it 3 times since we have been married), it is however our first time driving down there with kids! YIKES! I am nervous about our two little ones (and myself) surviving the drive -

We leave on Sept 27th, but we are undecided about what time of the day to leave, and whether we should stay somewhere for a few hours to catch a little bit of sleep. We usually drive through, but are not sure how the kids are going to respond to being in the car for that long.... Any thoughts are appreciated (our boys are almost 4 and 18 months)

2014??? Hoping for POP again!!! 2010 POP , 2006 Offsite - Sheraton Vistana, 2004 FortWilderness Campground, 2002 All Star Movies, 1999 Offsite 1990 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1986 Polynesian, 1982 Fort Wilderness Cabin
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #527
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We're getting ready for another drive next month: #20 since 2002.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #528
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

All the best.
79 days 10hours 5 min. till ride #49 in 37 years!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #529
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
And you both inspire us all!

We're counting down to drive #7. Seems insignificant compared to you two

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #530
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #531
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

thanks sharadoc and bc. its been a tough year in our house. in june dw found out she had a meningeoma on her optic nerve. she lost her eye sight in her left eye in 2005, we were in epcots parking lot when she tripped over a parking cone and discovered she couldnt see out of part of her eye. we went to wills eye in philly and they couldnt find anything. well, june the tumor grew big enough to see on an mri. june 18th, they went in and took some of the tumor to test it. (they slit her eye lid from side to side, went over her eye ball to get to it, not an easy surg. to go through) it was not cancer but something had to be done, to close to her brain and other eye etc... after many trips to wills and jefferson hosp. in philly, they decided to do stereotactic radiation, a one time heavy dose of radiation to kill the tumor. they bolted a halo on her head and after many test, 5 hours,4 doctors. and 2 physists, she had her treatment. it was very risky, to close to her other optic nerve and brain. glad to say, it seemed to work!!! she still has vision out of her other eye and no side affects to speak of. she came out of her treatment and said "now we can go to disney world"! through it all, not one tear, not one complaint. we did alot of talking lately and she said her days of driving on 95 are over. she drives the state of s.carolina on the way home and i drive the rest of the trip. so from now on, we are going to take two days to come home which is not a problem for us. after the trips that we have plained already, we have one in sept. of 2012 and than from than on, we are going for 8 nights every jan and ten nights every september. our dd is a sr. in high school this year and after the june trip she will be off to school and make a life of her own.( she will always be my little girl and is welcome to come with us at anytime)im sure she will be able jump in on one trip or another. so, we will see you on 95!!!!! (im an exit 68 guy myself, i cant wait to get to exit 67.)

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #532
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks sharadoc and bc. its been a tough year in our house. in june dw found out she had a meningeoma on her optic nerve. she lost her eye sight in her left eye in 2005, we were in epcots parking lot when she tripped over a parking cone and discovered she couldnt see out of part of her eye. we went to wills eye in philly and they couldnt find anything. well, june the tumor grew big enough to see on an mri. june 18th, they went in and took some of the tumor to test it. (they slit her eye lid from side to side, went over her eye ball to get to it, not an easy surg. to go through) it was not cancer but something had to be done, to close to her brain and other eye etc... after many trips to wills and jefferson hosp. in philly, they decided to do stereotactic radiation, a one time heavy dose of radiation to kill the tumor. they bolted a halo on her head and after many test, 5 hours,4 doctors. and 2 physists, she had her treatment. it was very risky, to close to her other optic nerve and brain. glad to say, it seemed to work!!! she still has vision out of her other eye and no side affects to speak of. she came out of her treatment and said "now we can go to disney world"! through it all, not one tear, not one complaint. we did alot of talking lately and she said her days of driving on 95 are over. she drives the state of s.carolina on the way home and i drive the rest of the trip. so from now on, we are going to take two days to come home which is not a problem for us. after the trips that we have plained already, we have one in sept. of 2012 and than from than on, we are going for 8 nights every jan and ten nights every september. our dd is a sr. in high school this year and after the june trip she will be off to school and make a life of her own.( she will always be my little girl and is welcome to come with us at anytime)im sure she will be able jump in on one trip or another. so, we will see you on 95!!!!! (im an exit 68 guy myself, i cant wait to get to exit 67.)
An amazing story of courage.

Sending along some W I S H E S !

All the best!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #533
michael's mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2simon View Post
I am joining in here! We will be driving down to the world from the Providence, RI area in 18 days!!!! Woo Hoo! Getting very excited.

This is not our first time driving to WDW from the northeast (we have done it 3 times since we have been married), it is however our first time driving down there with kids! YIKES! I am nervous about our two little ones (and myself) surviving the drive -

We leave on Sept 27th, but we are undecided about what time of the day to leave, and whether we should stay somewhere for a few hours to catch a little bit of sleep. We usually drive through, but are not sure how the kids are going to respond to being in the car for that long.... Any thoughts are appreciated (our boys are almost 4 and 18 months)
Not speaking from personal experience, but from that of a friend of mine and her family. They have driven about 3 or 4 times in the last few years with their 4 children (8,7,4,2) and they drive straight through and said the kids are great. They do put something under the kids feet in front of their carseats/boosters and they have a rule that whenever they stop for gas, everyone tries to use the bathroom. And whenever they stop for food, they also get gas and use the bathroom and they make the trip in less than 24 hours. We are about an hour away from Providence to give you an idea of what you'd be looking at. They also leave around 7pm to avoid the traffic in NYC, and DC and said it's been smooth sailing each time they leave.

We want to get down there a little earlier in the day when we drive so we're thinking of leaving here around 4. We should still miss NYC and DC traffic so we're not expecting any problems (except for maybe Providence traffic )

Good luck! Please check back when you get home and let us know how you did!

DH Me DS DD Chloe Louie
1980-1989 many times at Polynesian;1990, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002 CBR;2004 CBR Honeymoon;2007 CBR Baby's 1st trip; 2009 Grand Gathering at POR;
2011 Wedding and Grand Gathering at our home...CBR Pirate style; 2013 CBR Baby's 1st trip
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #534
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
I know I am in the minority here, but we have no Waffle House restaurants where we live, so we look forward to eating at Waffle House at least once during our trip to Florida. However, we didn't eat at Waffle House once during our August trip and we missed it! For our October trip, Waffle House is on the top of our to-do list.
I agree with you! I love Waffle House!! Just something from my childhood trips to FL I guess.

DVCerfs -- Many wishes to you all!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #535
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

All the best.
We are getting ready for our 12th drive down since 2007. We leave at the end of the month.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #536
Therinian
My pants are too dangerous!

Has anyone taken Route 17 (or Rt. 301) all the way down into Florida/Kissimmee/Orlando? If so, how did that work out for you?

We took Rt. 17 once (starting with Route 13 & crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel in VA) and it was the 2nd best road trip we'd ever taken (#1 being our recent trip to the Badlands, lol); the drive to WDW was long (29 hours!), but the scenery was beautiful, there were barely any cars on the road at times, and the speed limit was usually 55.

Also... Does anyone take advantage of the Super 8 Motel free coffee deal when driving to/from Florida? My husband & I got Super 8 travel mugs ($5 each) after we'd heard about the promotion when we drove to South Dakota in August, and can't wait to try them on our next road trip, where we can get free coffee with them at ANY Super 8 location in the U.S.

Last edited by Therinian; 09-11-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #537
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
I agree with you! I love Waffle House!! Just something from my childhood trips to FL I guess.

DVCerfs -- Many wishes to you all!
thanks. we only ever stopped at one waffle house when i was a kid and we must of hit a bad one. my mom didnt like it to much. i remember hitting the 76 truck stop plazas, and the howard johnson rest. in the the early 70s, hojos were like crackle barrels are today. i live in the northeast and there is a waffle house about 20 min. from us. i dont know how or why, there isnt another one for a few hundred miles away that i know of.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #538
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Well its almost time for our first drive to Disney. A slight change of plans though. We were supposed to leave 9/24 from just north of de/pa border around 4pm and drive straight through. However, we both now have off on Friday so will leave around 10am and stay overnight in Brunswick GA.

What traffic concerns are we likely to have if we leave at that time? I know we'll be past DC/VA before afternoon rush hour but I don't know anything about farther south of that as our original plan had us driving through the night.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #539
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

We are down to 13 days until we start driving! I am fiddling with our route and just can't decide what to do...

We can take 27 through Ohio to 75, which is supposed to be 50 miles shorter and 20 minutes faster but we are driving on a 2 lane road until almost Cincinnati, yuck. BUT in exchange for driving the country road and hitting Cincinnati, we would skip driving through Indy, Louisville AND Nashville. I'm not much of a city driver so this is a little appealing to me. But if the speed limit on 27 is like 45 or something, I think I'd go nuts.

And then when we get to Atlanta, do you think we should do a bypass around the city? It'll be a Saturday around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I just know how crazy Atlanta drivers are, they don't believe in leaving space between cars so if you leave 2 car lengths between you and the car in front of you, you better believe some crazy driver is going to pull into the space and drive that close to you at 70mph. I have never been in Atlanta when I haven't turned on the radio to hear about a 10 - 20 car pile up because they drive so freaking close together! (We used to have to go to Atlanta almost every weekend when we lived in Pensacola). I'm just wondering if any of the bypasses around the city are any better, traffic-wise than taking 75 straight through the middle of the city.

I just don't know what to do!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #540
Tina
Tagless and bitter about it but apparently only thing I hate is when I 'spring a wire. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
Well its almost time for our first drive to Disney. A slight change of plans though. We were supposed to leave 9/24 from just north of de/pa border around 4pm and drive straight through. However, we both now have off on Friday so will leave around 10am and stay overnight in Brunswick GA.

What traffic concerns are we likely to have if we leave at that time? I know we'll be past DC/VA before afternoon rush hour but I don't know anything about farther south of that as our original plan had us driving through the night.
We just may see you on the road! We're also leaving on the 24th, although we'll be a few hours ahead of you, leaving at 5am from No.Virginia. Once you are through DC, there is really not much else to worry about, aside from the off-chance you may encounter an accident to slow you down. That has only happened to us once and we were detoured off 95 in North Carolina. It put us about 2 hours behind schedule. I know some folks prefer to take alternate routes around Richmond and Jacksonville, but in my opinion, they're a piece of cake (in comparison to DC area driving). We just drive on through on 95.

Have a great trip!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: