Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #2176
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
will you be joining us???
Sorry, no. Not on that day.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #2177
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran
 
C&G'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,648

Hey, all 23 days left for us. I'm really enjoying everyone's updates. Safe travels to all those on the road right now.

We finally upgraded to a Smart Phone and web access. Since I'm designated passenger, I'll get to play with the phone while on the road.

I'm going to post right now that we plan on Leaving town around 12:00 noon on Friday May 27th (the kids have a 1/2 day of school), landing in Fredericksburg that night and hitting Jacksonville Saturday night and Disney late morning/early afternoon on the 29th. We're keeping in mind that this is a holiday weekend so it will be interesting to see what traffic is like. Our first ADR is at Chef Mickey's at 5:00 on the 29th and MK is open 'til 2am with EMH. So our hope is that our room will be ready and we'll have time to freshen up before going out.

Let's see how close to our plan we end up.
__________________
Me DP DD(13) DS(10)


"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #2178
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!
 
Disneyholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 2,603

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G'sMama View Post
Hey, all 23 days left for us. I'm really enjoying everyone's updates. Safe travels to all those on the road right now.

We finally upgraded to a Smart Phone and web access. Since I'm designated passenger, I'll get to play with the phone while on the road.

I'm going to post right now that we plan on Leaving town around 12:00 noon on Friday May 27th (the kids have a 1/2 day of school), landing in Fredericksburg that night and hitting Jacksonville Saturday night and Disney late morning/early afternoon on the 29th. We're keeping in mind that this is a holiday weekend so it will be interesting to see what traffic is like. Our first ADR is at Chef Mickey's at 5:00 on the 29th and MK is open 'til 2am with EMH. So our hope is that our room will be ready and we'll have time to freshen up before going out.

Let's see how close to our plan we end up.
We will be leaving on the 27th also, but closer to 8-10 pm. But we will probably be passing you during the night, since we drive straight through to Georgia before pulling over in a rest stop for a few hours sleep. We will be heading to Melbourne, FL where we have ressies at a Double Tree on the beach the night before out DCL Cruise. Probably won't be going to WDW this trip, but you never know. We both have DROIDs so I will be able to keep up with the boards, too.
__________________
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS
08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC
4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13FantasyThanksgiving/AKLVKidani4/14AKLVKidani













Disneyholic is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #2179
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.
 
sharadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 6,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
ok, were going to the same hotel, arriving the same day at the same time???? we can just drive down with you guys. ill text you sat. morning, looks like were hitting 95 at the same time. ill let you go first to weed out any state troopers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post

if anyone sees these two people on i95 in two mini vans, just move to the right and no one will get hurt!
Yeah, but between bags, kids and stuff you'll have to go up on the roof rack

We may consider going west to 81 since we're going on a Saturday so we REALLY may see you on the road. FYI - I have a new cell/smartphone so I'll have to give you that number. We decided to keep my old cell as our house phone and disconnect from Verizon. I'll probably have both with me, but the new phone is SO much easier to text on so I'd rather do that than the triple clicks on the number pad on the old phone.

Oh, and if anyone wants to, they're welcome to drive a little FASTER than we are, so they can be the ones pulled over while we smile and wave as we drive by doing 80! Did I say that out loud???
__________________
DH (Mike) & Me (Sharon) DS Shawn (19,ASD) DD Lauren (13) Daisy



Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #2180
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.
 
sharadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 6,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
will you be joining us???
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Sorry, no. Not on that day.

All the best.
He's dodging us!
__________________
DH (Mike) & Me (Sharon) DS Shawn (19,ASD) DD Lauren (13) Daisy



Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #2181
Reese
DIS Veteran
 
Reese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
We're going to be leaving Friday morning around 6am which will put us in Chicago around 9:00. How is traffic around this time? I'm assuming bad but we really don't have another choice. The only other city I worry about is Atlanta and I've timed that so we'll be going through on Saturday around 8:30am which shouldn't be too bad
We'll be in Atlanta about the same time. I find the best way to deal with Atlanta traffic is to get in the carpool lane. I love them, they have their own exits and seem to move fairly well even in heavy traffic. With it being a weekend traffic should not be bad though.
__________________
(16)(14) (13)(10) (8) (6)(3)(6months)
Feb 06 ASMo 1st time to WDW, Jan 07 POP and 1st Pirate and Princess party, Sept 07 ASMo Free Dining,Jan 08 ASSp surprise for me,
Sept 08 POP Free Dining, Dec 08 Grand gathering at POP,Jan 09 Rolling Hills,March 09 Rolling Hills,May 09 ASMu and Emerald Isle,June 09 Just DH and I,July 09 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,Sept 09 ASMu Free dining,May 10 ASMo & Star WarsSept 10 ASmo Free dining, Nov 10 Rolling Hills,May 11 Pop, Jan 12 MK and Dreamworks cruise,Sept 12Free Dining AoA family reunion,Nov 12 ASMu Mom/Daughter trip,Christmas Day surprise,April 13 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,May 13 Star Wars ASSp,
Reese is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2182
Cin
DIS Veteran
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 894

Subscribing... 1187 miles one way from our house in Texas. I can't wait until we finally hit the road on our way to Mickey's house. Food and Wine Fest 2011 here we come!
__________________
Pre-trip report: A Very Merry Unbirthday To You.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2830680
The Unbirthday Girls FUn Unbirthday Trip Report!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post43986114
2013 Pre Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871882


1984 - offsite Kissimmee
1997 - Port Orleans
2010 - All Star Music
2012 - Pop Century/Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - Pop Century
Cin is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #2183
budafam
DIS Veteran
 
budafam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
We'll be in Atlanta about the same time. I find the best way to deal with Atlanta traffic is to get in the carpool lane. I love them, they have their own exits and seem to move fairly well even in heavy traffic. With it being a weekend traffic should not be bad though.
Thanks! Which lane is the carpool lane? This will be our first "cross country" trip ever since being married and of course our kids first trip out of the state for more than 3 days. We will be leaving in 8 days 7 hours 44 minutes. Not that I'm excited or anything
__________________
Trip Reports:1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
5th 6th *IN PROGRESS*
Dining Reports: DxDP 10/30/11-11/4/11, TIW Food Report, DxDP 10/2/12-10/10/12
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM



budafam is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #2184
Cin
DIS Veteran
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
No matter what long-distance route you take to WDW, there are plenty of familiar chain hotels along major highways. Find out their cancellation-time policy and make two bookings. As you gauge your progress, pick one that you can get to and cancel the other.

All the best.

What great advice! I never would have thought of that.
__________________
Pre-trip report: A Very Merry Unbirthday To You.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2830680
The Unbirthday Girls FUn Unbirthday Trip Report!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post43986114
2013 Pre Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871882


1984 - offsite Kissimmee
1997 - Port Orleans
2010 - All Star Music
2012 - Pop Century/Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - Pop Century
Cin is offline  
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #2185
wdwfamilyinIL
DIS Veteran
 
wdwfamilyinIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IL/IN state line
Posts: 869

I can't believe how fast May 27th is coming, we will be leaving in the early morning hours. I was so depressed last monday when I got laid off from my job, and while I am still not thrilled especially with no bites on my resume, this trip is really helping give me something to look forward too. I am so glad that we paid everything off way in advance and put money in savings to cover everything, this is what we really need right now.

We live around the Covington Indiana area, I was going to go to Indy to catch 70, but being the blond I am I forgot about the Indy 500 being on Memorial Day so Indy might be crazy. Anyone else from around this area, or even kinda close...how did you go down? Also are there any updates on the construction in TN and GA?
__________________
DH DW DS12 DS10 DS8



ASM 05,06POP 07,08
POFQ 09,10
Disney Dream May 11
POR JUNE 11
wdwfamilyinIL is offline  
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #2186
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran
 
C&G'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
We will be leaving on the 27th also, but closer to 8-10 pm. But we will probably be passing you during the night, since we drive straight through to Georgia before pulling over in a rest stop for a few hours sleep. We will be heading to Melbourne, FL where we have ressies at a Double Tree on the beach the night before out DCL Cruise. Probably won't be going to WDW this trip, but you never know. We both have DROIDs so I will be able to keep up with the boards, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfamilyinIL View Post
I can't believe how fast May 27th is coming, we will be leaving in the early morning hours. I was so depressed last monday when I got laid off from my job, and while I am still not thrilled especially with no bites on my resume, this trip is really helping give me something to look forward too. I am so glad that we paid everything off way in advance and put money in savings to cover everything, this is what we really need right now.

We live around the Covington Indiana area, I was going to go to Indy to catch 70, but being the blond I am I forgot about the Indy 500 being on Memorial Day so Indy might be crazy. Anyone else from around this area, or even kinda close...how did you go down? Also are there any updates on the construction in TN and GA?
Looks like a few of us leaving on the 27th then. Disneyholic, please wave as you go by. We can't do the drive straight through thing. We could to it with just one overnight to save some $$$ but we just build the hotel nights into our budget. We like getting to Disney relatively early on Sunday morning.
@wdwfamilyinIL sorry about your job Glad you're still going. I may or may not be facing a layoff towards the end of the year, but the trip is paid for and I'll deal with the realities when we get back from vacation.
__________________
Me DP DD(13) DS(10)


"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #2187
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Yeah, but between bags, kids and stuff you'll have to go up on the roof rack

We may consider going west to 81 since we're going on a Saturday so we REALLY may see you on the road. FYI - I have a new cell/smartphone so I'll have to give you that number. We decided to keep my old cell as our house phone and disconnect from Verizon. I'll probably have both with me, but the new phone is SO much easier to text on so I'd rather do that than the triple clicks on the number pad on the old phone.

Oh, and if anyone wants to, they're welcome to drive a little FASTER than we are, so they can be the ones pulled over while we smile and wave as we drive by doing 80! Did I say that out loud???
sounds good. just text me and tell me its you on your new number and ill put it in my phone. we are leaving friday, i would say around 2pm. i have a resi at the hampton inn on i81 at exit 247 so we are only going about 90 miles into virginia. we probley could go further but im going to hit traffic around harrisburg and i figured we are going to get there around 7-8pm. than sat. morning we are going to hit the road around 2:30-3am. i want to get past charl. nc before people get up and moving about.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #2188
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
He's dodging us!
do you blame him?
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #2189
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran
 
C&G'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,648

As big of planners as we are we very rarely make hotel reservations ahead of time on the road. Only once did we go into a hotel and they didn't have a room but the next place did. We usually have our AAA guidebook and/or the list of Hampton Inns and call when we've decided where we'd like to settle for the night.


We have the AAA premier membership (we definitely get our money's worth especially this year with blown tires, getting locked out of 2 cars etc.) and with that membership they'll find something for you if needed. We've done that once or twice.

I just talked to DP and while I thought we were leaving at noon on the 27th as the kids have a 1/2 day of school she said she's going to let them sleep in and bag the 1/2 day, so we may hit the road earlier than planned and end up south of Fredericksburg. Who knows? So I think we'll stick to just waiting and see where we land.
__________________
Me DP DD(13) DS(10)


"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #2190
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!
 
loveysbydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alburtis, PA
Posts: 5,343

I am so very jealous of all of you who are going this month! So wish we had the funds to do a short trip before October! I am dying! My dh says to stop whining after all we do get to cruise on the Dream in October!
__________________

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: