Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
kelseighrox925
"If we die for them, Harry, I'm gonna kill you!"

Disney on Broadway

Here's the place to discuss favorite Disney plays, musicals, and Disney films you want to see turned into Broadway shows.
kelseighrox925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
scarscar93
DIS Veteran

I felt a little sad when I heard about a Toy Story musical.

No, thanks. Please keep my childhood on the big and small screens, Disney.

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!

I nominate a Song of the South stage adaptation. Yeah, yeah, there's been racial controversy about the movie, but look at what you can get away with on Broadway.

(tumblr)
scarscar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
ClassyChic
You were born an original don't die a copy.

scarscar93 Really a Toy Story musical?

I'd love to see The Little Mermaid on stage as well, I've been watching some videos on YouTube and it looks really good.
ClassyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
scarscar93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyChic View Post
scarscar93 Really a Toy Story musical?
I'm not entirely sure how elaborate or promoted it'll be, but I was flipping channels and when I got to Disney Channel there was a snippet mentioning a TS musical in the works.

It made me sad.

(tumblr)
scarscar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
jpink23
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarscar93 View Post
I felt a little sad when I heard about a Toy Story musical.

No, thanks. Please keep my childhood on the big and small screens, Disney.

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!
as far as i know, the toy story musical was one of their short musicals that disney is putting on one of the new cruise ships. (my friend auditioned for it and got a few callbacks too)

and if you get a chance, see mary poppins! not the best broadway musical that i have seen but you will have so much fun and be BLOWN AWAY by some of the stunts they do.

ps. i have heard pretty solid rumors of hunchback being the next broadway show :D hopefully that'll be a long awaited dream come true
jpink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
disEAR
DVC Member

We saw the traveling version of The Lion King Broadway show last week and it simply blew us away. I have very limited experience with Broadway shows but must say the music, effects, performances and choreography left my jaw on the floor.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

I don't know about you, but I think the Hunchback of Notre Dame would be an INCREDIBLE musical. The music is very, very theatrical (especially The Bells of Notre Dame), and the plot is killer. I can imagine it being somewhat Phantom of the Opera-esque, very dramatic, but very pretty and moving.

Seeing The Lion King for the second time next February (the tour version again). I've seen Beauty and the Beast 3 times, though, and I loved it.

I enjoy the Tarzan soundtrack very much, wish it would tour. Not too crazy about Mary Poppins, and The Little Mermaid is iffy.
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
jpink23
DVC Member

really? not to crazy about mp? have you seen it live?

i am in love with lion king and i am pretty sure that b&b was my favorite on broadway. it was the first show i had ever seen done though at a young age so i am pretty loyal to it haha. but next to those two, aida was simply amazing as well. not a disney story, but i am so glad that they produced it.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpink23 View Post
really? not to crazy about mp? have you seen it live?

i am in love with lion king and i am pretty sure that b&b was my favorite on broadway. it was the first show i had ever seen done though at a young age so i am pretty loyal to it haha. but next to those two, aida was simply amazing as well. not a disney story, but i am so glad that they produced it.
I've seen countless video clips, including parade/TV performances. I also have the OLC soundtrack, and I'm not fond of listening to it. There's something about the newer songs that irks me...they bore me a bit, to be honest. I don't know. I guess I just prefer The Lion King.
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
jpink23
DVC Member

understadable. i hate the london cast soundtrack, and i was pretty unhappy with jolly holiday, but the show as a whole was a pleasant surprise! a friend and i were up in new york one day not planning on seeing a show and spur of the moment decided seeing one haha and that was the closest theatre, so we went for it! if you get a chance, see it live. not as visually stunning as some of their others, but defiantly worth it.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Queenofspoons
Dreaming of Disney World

I heard rumors that the Burton version of Alice in Wonderland is going to be made into a musical, their is one problem with this: How are they going to do the shrinking and streaching live on stage?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
alisonwonderland64
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaSparks730 View Post
I've seen countless video clips, including parade/TV performances. I also have the OLC soundtrack, and I'm not fond of listening to it. There's something about the newer songs that irks me...they bore me a bit, to be honest. I don't know. I guess I just prefer The Lion King.
Definitely try to see it if you can, the cast recording doesn't do the show justice I don't think. I've seen Mary Poppins twice now (once in London, once on Broadway) and really enjoyed it both times, but I barely ever listen to the cast recording because it's just not that interesting--the songs work SO much better in context, in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of rumors about Disney making Dumbo into a musical (http://www.playbill.com/news/article...ly-on-Broadway), which I'm pretty skeptical about...it seems like kind of a strange choice to me, but I guess you never know. I also remember hearing a rumor somewhere that they might bring Newsies to the stage, which I think is a great idea...that movie definitely would work as a musical.

Personally, I'm hoping the Hunchback rumors are true, I agree that that would be a great musical! I think it already is a musical in Germany, but I'd love to see it come to America. Either that or Aladdin.

Spring 1996: Dixie Landings
Spring 1998/2000/2002: Polynesian
March 2009: All-Star Sports
May 2010: Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower

Next trip: January 2011 at VWL/BWV

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/8hijx4mxt7s5qxbs.png[/img]
alisonwonderland64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
jpink23
DVC Member

I have heard the Newsies rumor as well! lol but that was just from a friend that is a little theatre crazy and i think wants that to happen more than anything. and i have heard about the aladdin musical, but i think that is supposed to be for the disneyland in california. i heard it is being written by the same people who wrote the finding nemo musical for the parks.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
ClassyChic
You were born an original don't die a copy.

@ JPink23 I've heard a lot of good things about the Mary Poppins musical!
I've never seen a musical live before and I'm hoping one day I'll be able to.
ClassyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
thisonegirl
I'm having fun....no matter how stupid I look!

I thought I was the only one who heard anything about Dumbo. Interesting choice, I'd say....

HoND has been a rumor for a while now. Apparently, it has been in Germany, but it is very dark, and they're trying to edit the darker themes out. I wish they would keep the darker elements in....

Though I could imagine, the sets would be gorgeous!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: