Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

Sweet Sixteen Celebration

I have never done a PTR but I am so excited about my upcoming trip and nobody in my family or circle of friends really wants to talk to me about it, so I figured this would be the perfect place to share my excitement!

Hope it isn't too long or boring!

Participants:

Kristi (37)
Jessica (15)

I am a single special ed teacher who loves to travel. I usually go away for a few weeks each summer with my mom, but this summer I have a new nephew (the first in our family), so I am providing day care for my brother and SIL. It has been so much fun, I don't mind giving up my several week jaunts. I did however feel I would like to go away for a long weekend. I was thinking I would go to Toronto because I love that city, but couldn't really find anyone to go with. Disneyland wasn't even really on my radar because I spent 2 days their back in April before going on a cruise up the pacific coast. Then last week Jessica, (my cousin's daughter) texted me asking her to take her to the midnight showing of Eclipse. While we were together that night we were talking about stuff going on in her life, she had recently gone on a trip to NYC with her theatre class to see some plays and had a great time, then we somehow morphed into a conversation about Disney. I asked her if she had seen the Aladin show at DL and she said she had never been to DL, which surprised me. She absolutely loves WDW! Earlier this year when her mom and dad were planning their 20th anniversary trip without kids, Jess found some Disney planning books and she hid them because she didn't think it was fair that they go without her!

So the more I thought about going away for a weekend, I kept going back to the fact that Jess had never been to DL and at that time I thought the Aladin show was leaving in August, so I thought "I need to take her to see that!" I emailed her mom and asked her if it was ok that I take her clear across the country as her birthday gift (Her b-day isn't until October, but that would be a very tough time for either of us to go away for a long weekend...she's got volleyball and I have state testing in school!). Mom was thrilled and I got the ok to take her and started planning!

The Plan

We are flying out on July 29th at at about 10 am...I am a little concerned about out connection in Newark as it is only 50 minutes...I so hope we don't have to take some kind of shuttle to different terminal.

We get to Orange County at 2:49 pm Thursday afternoon. I am not sure if we are going to have 3 day park hopper passes or the 2 bonus day ones. If we have the bonus days, we will head to a park, if not I have conflicting ideas about what to do that night. I was thinking of taking her to Goofy's kitchen for dinner as a fun start to our weekend, but don't know if I can justify spending the extra money. If we don't do that we will head over to Garden Walk and hang out there for the evening and then turn in early, as I am sure we will both be kind of tired with the flying all day and the time change. We are staying at the Red Lion, which I stayed at back in April and thought it was great!

Friday July 30

California Adventure: We will be here all day. We have Ariel's Grotto WOC for dinner and I am a bit skeptical about that whole thing, but we will give it a go! I have a Ridemax itinerary, but I did it myself and I really want Jess to do what she wants.

Saturday July 31 Disneyland all day.

Sunday August 1: I thought today would be a good day to revisit things that Jess loved in both parks or things that we may have missed.

Monday Fly home

I am trying to think of things to put together in a small goodie bag for Jess to give her either when we get to the airport or at the hotel...just some fun Disney items that would be age appropriate to get her just a little more excited...I got some good ideas on the regular DL thread, but I am always open to more.

Thats all for now!
Thanks for reading!

Kristi
Kristi391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

What a great person you are!!! This will be a trip she always remembers!!!

We will be there over the same time you are!!
We're are also doing the WoC dining....I think it will be just fine & worth the extra expense of paying for the meal to get reserved seating (not sure why they call it that....since you stand....lol)

Do you have a way to get her a Disney gift card?? That would make a great little gift.....that way she could pick out something special once she gets to the parks! You also could get her a small journal (maybe with a disney character on it), disney pen & that way she could jot down notes about her special trip.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

The journal and pens is a great idea! I was also thinking of maybe some type of small photo or scrapbook type thing...I was going to look at target or someplace like that to see what I can find! She loves to take pictures, so that might be good.

I am so excited about this trip...I just want her to have a great time!:
Old 07-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
Feathers
Ohana!

As someone who was 16 up until last month, I'd say something like a photo journal would be great for her to have. Every teenager I know loves taking photos on trips, especially when that trip is to Disneyland. I'm just not so sure on the writing journal, so maybe a combination so that she can write about the pictures she takes?

Everyone appreciates a good photo album.

I'm not exactly sure how much of a gift you want to give her before the trip, but might I suggest a customized Disney Sweet 16 shirt? It should definitely give her some extra recognition by CMs and characters. Especially since those birthday pins they give out don't seem to work. xD

But yeah, just something simple to let Disney know it's a big birthday.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

And you definitely need to go to City Hall and get her a birthday button. That way the cast members can ooh and ahh appropriately. I think it sounds like great fun.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

I LOVE the sweet 16 t-shirt idea! I didn't even think about CMs oohing and ahhing over her...I think she will love that attention!

Yesterday I went over to Borders to get a Hidden Mickey book,but they only had Disney World, so I am going to try Barnes and Noble and if that doesn't work, then I will order it from Amazon.

I also went into Michael's to see what they had for scrapbook/albums but they only had Mickey and Minnie and I sort of wanted either Tink or a Princess, so I am going to try a few more stores. I did pick up a 15 pack of glow bracelets for glow fest...not sure if she will like them or think they are lame, but they were only $1, so if she doesn't like them, no biggie!

In the mail last week I got an offer for a Disney Rewards Credit card that gives you a $200 gift card after first purchase and I was all sad that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that perk, seeing as we leave in a little over 2 weeks...but then I read on these boards that if you get it and make a purchase you can go to the guest relations office inside the park and get your card! I am a little skeptical about this but I am really hoping this is true, because that would save a bunch of money on food and stuff!

Ok, off to feed the baby!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
DizNee Luver

Sounds like things are coming together & we're all getting so close to our trips!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi391 View Post
I LOVE the sweet 16 t-shirt idea! I didn't even think about CMs oohing and ahhing over her...I think she will love that attention!

Yesterday I went over to Borders to get a Hidden Mickey book,but they only had Disney World, so I am going to try Barnes and Noble and if that doesn't work, then I will order it from Amazon.

I also went into Michael's to see what they had for scrapbook/albums but they only had Mickey and Minnie and I sort of wanted either Tink or a Princess, so I am going to try a few more stores. I did pick up a 15 pack of glow bracelets for glow fest...not sure if she will like them or think they are lame, but they were only $1, so if she doesn't like them, no biggie!

In the mail last week I got an offer for a Disney Rewards Credit card that gives you a $200 gift card after first purchase and I was all sad that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that perk, seeing as we leave in a little over 2 weeks...but then I read on these boards that if you get it and make a purchase you can go to the guest relations office inside the park and get your card! I am a little skeptical about this but I am really hoping this is true, because that would save a bunch of money on food and stuff!

Ok, off to feed the baby!
Teenage girls love bracelets, I know my 17 year old would wear them. There is something about being in the park and being willing to do more. And being willing to let out our inner child.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Feathers
Ohana!

Quote:
Teenage girls love bracelets, I know my 17 year old would wear them. There is something about being in the park and being willing to do more. And being willing to let out our inner child.

This!

You wouldn't catch me dead wearing any sort of jewelry/sparkles/princessy things, but in Disney, all that goes out the window. XD

It's a magic moment! No teenager in their right mind wouldn't just let go and have a great time in the happiest place on earth. It's sort of hard to be embarrassed in a park full of little girls in frilly dresses and people wearing mouse ears.

No worries there.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

That is SO true about not being embarrassed at DL...seriously...when else will people wear mouse ears or a giant Goofy hat!

I think Jess will like the bracelets. I am a little concerned about them though. I was looking at the package today and it said not to store them in extreme temperatures...after I bought them the other day, I went to the bookstore, so they were in my car on an over 90 degree day...think I will pick up another pack, just to be sure they will glow!

Yesterday I was able to get a $25 HOB gift certificate for $3! I was pretty psyched about that! I haven't eaten there, but the one in Boston is fairly good. I was thinking about going there the night we get in, but I read someplace that reservations are a necessity at House of Blues, which kind of surprised me...I thought we would be able to go put our names in, walk around DTD for a bit then go eat...I am just not sure what time to make a res for...I can always make one for around 6ish and cancel if we have to!

Today I went to the library and got the unofficial encyclopedia of DL. It is pretty interesting...gives history of all the stuff in DL (not CA though). I wasn't aware that CMs only started being allowed to have moustaches in the year 2000. It's a fun read and definitely getting me wish the next 2 weeks would go by quicker!!!

The only thing I really have to get done now is book a super shuttle from SNA to/from the hotel. Then the fun stuff...packing, buying snacks, and being crazy excited!!!

15 more days!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
kaoden39
Hugs

From what I have heard recently someone posted that although they had reservations they hadn't needed them. I think that I might make then just in case. Wandering around DTD can be great fun.

15 days sounds real good to me!!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
DizNee Luver

Is Jessica getting excited about the trip?? She'll have so much fun!!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

I haven't actually talked to Jessica since I booked the trip last week. She went to the Cape earlier this week and I think she comes home tomorrow, but according to her mom, she is very excited! I guess she had asked her parents to go to WDW for her birthday in Oct, but finances wouldn't allow it, so I am really glad we are doing this!

I went through my suitcase today to see what was left in it from my trip over spring break (I tend to not fully unpack when get back from a trip) and saw that I had a bunch of things I thought I would have to buy, like new socks (I love new socks for a vacation ) sunblock, advil, and dramamine, so I was pretty happy about that! I was able to start putting some clothes that I want to take...normally I wouldn't be able to do this because I would be wearing them in the next 2 weeks for work or whatever...but now that I am taking care of a 5 month old (who spits up a TON!) during the week, I have been wearing the same shorts and t-shirts while watching him, since by the time his mom or dad get home, I am pretty gross, so I wear t-shirts I usually only wear to the gym!

I also added some more $$ to my disney gift card to help with food cost while we are there...I figure, if I have a bit of extra money after I grocery shop or things like that it can just go on the card!

I still have not booked our super shuttle yet...something to do next week. Also, I think I am going to print out restaurant menus we could eat at so Jessica can pick the places she wants to eat...this might be a good plane/airport activity and conversation piece. I am fairly picky (ok, really picky) so I figure that I will print all the places I will be willing to eat and let her pick from there! We will be eating at HOB at some point since I have the $25 gift certificate!

I am not sure what else I can do besides just wait and wish time would go by quicker!!! I did order a Disneyland behind the scenes DVD from Netflix, so that will be fun one night next week!

12 days!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
DizNee Luver

Sounds like things are falling into place nicely!!

I can totally relate on the t-shirt thing & the kid throwing up......awk!! Michayla is tube fed & during the winter-time she gets so phlegmy at night that she usually always returns her breakfast on me. I don't own nice clothes....no point in it!!

Printing out the menus you like is actually a great idea!! This way she picks a place good for you as well.....very smart!!

We ate at the House of Blues last year & it was pretty good. I thought the food was better at Cafe Orleans.....but I will say the sweet potato fries were delicious!!! My son ordered the BBQ Chicken Pizza & it was the best thing at the table! You could even share it.....it's big!

Believe me, the time will really start to fly ...... I've got a huge list of "To Do's" before we leave next Saturday......and I'm an uber-planner!! Shouldn't still be a long list of stuff to get done!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

Single digits!!!!

I really hope the next 9 days fly by!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: