Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #91
tholczer
Mouseketeer

Location: The Balcony of Los Angeles (I'll let you figure that one out)

I agree with you that the food at DL is pretty horrid. But I thought the WDW food was pretty bad, too. Defintely cafeteria style.

A couple places we've found over the years that aren't terrible:

Pacific Wharf - chowder isn't half bad. Bread is fabulous. I always get the Shrimp Louie salad in the bread bowl. Really tasty and lots of shrimp.

LaBrea Bakery - they are well known in Los Angeles for their pastries. The re-heated food on the sit-down side isn't fabulous, but it is pretty tasty and isn't so much like cafeteria food.

Rain Forest Cafe - again, not fabulous, but the burgers are WAY better than anything in the theme parks. My husband got steak and shrimp last time and said it was pretty good.

Bengal BBQ - people often complain about how little you get for your $, but I disagree. For seven bucks, you can get four skewars of just BBQ'd chicken or steak. Besides, I'd rather pay more for good food anyway. This is one of our favorite places. The veggies are always cooked perfectly.

Rancho del Zocalo - Mexican food in Disneyland, next to BTMRR.

Plaza Inn - actually has pretty good fried chicken.

That isn't going to get you through ten days for sure. But for a three or four day trip, it should cover.

Tracy
tholczer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #92
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

I love WDW for full serve meals (Boma, The Wave, Yachtsmen, Tokyo Dining, San Angel, Kona Cafe Sci Fi are all favorites of mine for a nice meal). But I think WDW dining has gone downhill. Less options, standardized menus and the DDP is probably to blame although the savings it gives me is nice. So even though I think WDW ts is a bit above DL's, its not what it used to be by any means. And I have to confess I am not a foodie! I like a nice steak and I love to try ethnic cuisines and WS and WDW in general lend to that but in all, I see people gripe on the Restaurants Board about WDW food and I think "man I love that place". I am easy to please! But I did find every place had the same menu when I did the DDP back in 2009 (nine nights) and 2009 (17 nights and not that's not a typo).

For counter service though, I think WDW is lacking. I started out doing Disneyland and I love the fact that DL counter service at many places comes on real plates and I love the bread bowl soups and salads you can get around DL and DCA. I miss those a LOT at WDW and am thrilled many people think those fixins bars at Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills are heaven on earth but I'll take my bread bowl with clam chowder any day over those! Again, I am not gourmet, I just love the variety DL cs has and other than Epcot, don't find that in my 13 trips to WDW compared to my 12 trips to DL.

I also think the atmospheres of the various cs places in DL cannot be matched except maybe in Epcot at the World Showcase. I love the Pacific Wharf area at DCA and the Riverbelle Terrace with its views of the Rivers of America is a place I look forward to eating and sitting each trip. Heck if it was good enough for Walt to sit and enjoy his morning coffee, its a treat for me too!

But yeah, a 10 day trip at DLR is not going to offer the same variety. How can it? Less resorts (by about what 17?) and half the parks.

I do still think though that DL has some great full serve meals, Steakhouse 55, Blue Bayou, Hook's Pointe, PCH Grill are all places I have had great to excellent meals. But for ten night trips to DLR (and we have done them) we like to have a car to venture away to find some more variety for less money.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #93
Funball
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholczer View Post
I agree with you that the food at DL is pretty horrid. But I thought the WDW food was pretty bad, too. Defintely cafeteria style.

A couple places we've found over the years that aren't terrible:

Pacific Wharf - chowder isn't half bad. Bread is fabulous. I always get the Shrimp Louie salad in the bread bowl. Really tasty and lots of shrimp.

LaBrea Bakery - they are well known in Los Angeles for their pastries. The re-heated food on the sit-down side isn't fabulous, but it is pretty tasty and isn't so much like cafeteria food.

Rain Forest Cafe - again, not fabulous, but the burgers are WAY better than anything in the theme parks. My husband got steak and shrimp last time and said it was pretty good.

Bengal BBQ - people often complain about how little you get for your $, but I disagree. For seven bucks, you can get four skewars of just BBQ'd chicken or steak. Besides, I'd rather pay more for good food anyway. This is one of our favorite places. The veggies are always cooked perfectly.

Rancho del Zocalo - Mexican food in Disneyland, next to BTMRR.

Plaza Inn - actually has pretty good fried chicken.

That isn't going to get you through ten days for sure. But for a three or four day trip, it should cover.

Tracy

i agree on everything you said, excpet that i think taste pilots grill has better burgers then rainforst cafe..i love the blue cheese burger. and i have never been to bengal BBQ so i will be sure to try that thanks to you!
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #94
prncssmel
Brunette Cinderella

While I think WDW has better food, I think it is mainly because there are more options. However, we have never found ourselves wanting for good food at DL. We love Blue Bayou. Hook's Pointe is fabulous. And the breakfast buffet at Storyteller's is one of my favorites anywhere. Plus, Bengal BBQ and Pacific Wharf are really good.

OP, did you not try any restaurants at DTD or Gardenwalk? That doubles your amount of restaurants to choose from, which starts to give you a good selection. The walk up window at Tortilla Joe's is always a favorite, and DH is obsessed with Fire + Ice.

Whether people like it or not is more of a personal taste thing. Several people have mentioned in this thread how much they hate Coral Reef, while I think Coral Reef is amazing. Not only was the food good, but we had tankside seating, personalized menus and a message from a diver - you can't get that anywhere else in the world.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #95
Katieinwonderland
Disney bride July 2008

I'm hoping we have a better experience with Disneyland dining! We have reservations for Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe, Napa Rose and Ariel's Grotto for the WOC package and I can't wait to try them!

We leave for the airport in 2 hours for our first DLR trip!
Katieinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #96
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieinwonderland View Post
I'm hoping we have a better experience with Disneyland dining! We have reservations for Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe, Napa Rose and Ariel's Grotto for the WOC package and I can't wait to try them!

Have fun!!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #97
Funball
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieinwonderland View Post

magic hershey and cheeto are going to miss you!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #98
Funball
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncssmel View Post
While I think WDW has better food, I think it is mainly because there are more options. However, we have never found ourselves wanting for good food at DL. We love Blue Bayou. Hook's Pointe is fabulous. And the breakfast buffet at Storyteller's is one of my favorites anywhere. Plus, Bengal BBQ and Pacific Wharf are really good.

OP, did you not try any restaurants at DTD or Gardenwalk? That doubles your amount of restaurants to choose from, which starts to give you a good selection. The walk up window at Tortilla Joe's is always a favorite, and DH is obsessed with Fire + Ice.

Whether people like it or not is more of a personal taste thing. Several people have mentioned in this thread how much they hate Coral Reef, while I think Coral Reef is amazing. Not only was the food good, but we had tankside seating, personalized menus and a message from a diver - you can't get that anywhere else in the world.

ohh two points for you!! ou like tortilla jo's!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: