Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Take a baby at 3 months or 7 months?

Hi! We are DL regulars but first time parents. Our little guy is due at the end of September and we (okay mostly me) can't wait to take him to DL! I know at this age the trip is really for us, but I am looking for some advice. We have two options that we are toying with.

A little back story- I am a teacher but currently laid off. I might be recalled the week before school starts but I have not decided if I will go back or take a year Leave of Absence. The idea of returning to a new school, new staff, new kids and setting up my room at 8 months pregnant is very overwhelming. So, money is a bit tight but not unmanageable.

Option A) Go in mid December, baby will be almost 3 months old. We have GAD tickets that will be expiring if we don't use them. If we don't do this trip, I will donate them to the Boys and Girls Club. We would stay at the Hilton on DH's points. Pros- pretty cheap trip, baby should be fairly easy at that age, Xmas decorations

Option B) Go in early May- baby will be about 7 months old. We would have to buy tickets. We might stay on property if a good deal comes out, but could stay at the Hilton if money is still tight. Pros- baby will be more "engaged," possibilty of staying on property, more time to save money, better weather

What do you think? My biggest concern is the baby- when would you say is a "better" time to take him? Oh yeah- either trip we will be driving (5-6 hours)
AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
kazbar
Mouseketeer

I would take option A. Your baby will sleep almost the whole time (except for feeds) whereas at 7 months they could possibly be a little more fussy
kazbar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

I did a lot of traveling with dd when she was little... since either trip will really be more for you guys, I'd do the earlier cheaper trip... at 3 months the car ride will be much easier on all of you... you'll just have to pull over to nurse/diaper change a couple of times... and the rest will probably be sleep... at 7 months baby will be more active... and have started some solid foods, so you'll have to haul that stuff with you too! Get a good baby carrier (I loved my ergo) and go when the bambino is tiny... then save up your $$ for a really fun trip when they are 2ish and will love riding dumbo etc!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. Dec '12, 6 days @ PPH, dh, dd &I. Can't stand it anymore--DLH here we come Oct 25-29, 2015!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I would go when the baby is 3 months--he'll be content to be in a carrier, snuggled up close to you.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
cccdisney
DIS Diva

Hands down, go in December! A 3 month old will be much easier to travel with than a 7 month old.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Barbday62
DIS Veteran

Took my grand daughter at 1 month and then again at 9 months old. Both trips were great. The first one she slept most of the time and the baby statins became our way to get her fed (Heated bottles ect....) At 9 months she was more alert to watch and interact. She hated Mickey and minnie mouse. That trip was still as much fun. Id vote plan A because of money saved.
Barbday62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Are those the only options ~ why not 5-6 months, not quite so new and not yet mobile..... But if it's 3 or 7 months I'd probably say 3.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
momtotwolittleones
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbar View Post
I would take option A. Your baby will sleep almost the whole time (except for feeds) whereas at 7 months they could possibly be a little more fussy
Yep. 7 months and it's likely they will be crawling and want to be put down and exploring. I would go at 3 months, no doubt.
momtotwolittleones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
bigpuma
Earning My Ears

We took our daughter at 3 months and other than my wife having to stop and feed every few hours she really just slept and hung out in a baby bjourn. I agree with the others and would reccomend 3 months vs. 7.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
corgi_monster
DIS Veteran

I would wait until she's 7 months. At 3 months, she's still building up the last of her immunities. With so many people from all over the world congregating at Disney, there's so many germs! Some Asians have a 100-day celebration for new borns because that's the time when the baby is believed to be strong/healthy enough to not have to worry about those things. Then again, it's an extremely antiquated tradition.
March 2014 - Paris Disneyland Resort, Sept 2012 - Tokyo Disney Resort, Jan '12 - WDW, July '10 Disneyland, May '10 Tokyo Disney Resort, Aug '09 - Disneyland, June '08 Disneyland, Dec '07 - WDW, Sept '07 - WDW, Jan '07 - Disneyland, Sept. '06 - WDW Feb. '06 - Disneyland, Sept. '05 - Hong Kong DL, and many, many prior trips to DL!
corgi_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
dmked
Mmmmmm I love the iced coffee at DL!
I'm looking forward to seeing the changes!

I vote for 3 months too. A 7 month old get bored easier and might be crawling at that point and want to get in/out of the stroller.

Disneyland, August 2002 for our honeymoon!
Disneyland and SeaWorld, August 2006
Disneyland, July 2008
Universal Studios and SeaWorld, July 2009
Disneyland, August 2010!
Disneyland and Knott's March 2011
Disneyland February 2013
dmked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys! I am actually surprised and I really thought everyone would say 7 months! 5-6 months is spring break/ Easter time and we want to avoid the bigger crowds. Easter is April 24 this year and AZ spring breaks start March 14, so I figured it was best to avoid everything in between. I guess late Feb/ Early March is a possibility. Any earlier than that, I figure we may as well go when we have our free tickets.

Thanks for all the advice!
AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
goldies 5
DIS Veteran

Either age is great fun. Christmas is beautiful though and less ride closures.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #14
superme80
DIS Veteran

I'd vote 7 months. Babies are not nursing quite as frequently, but they still sleep a lot.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #15
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

I'm torn...I'm a mom of 4 (oldest is 18) with nearly two decades of experience with DLR trips with kids. I'd say 3 months because the trip will be easier on you, but then again, as a PP stated, I'd be concerned about the baby's immature immune system and all the GRIME and germs floating around the parks and hotel.

Case in point...we just got back Saturday from 5 days in the parks. My kids are currently 5,9,12, and 18. When I got to the hotel, I wiped and sprayed the entire place down with Lysol and Clorox wipes (including spraying the carpet AND the sheets/pillowcases!)...we used Purell after almost every ride, and I had the kids wash their hands probably half a dozen times per day. Made them shower and wear clean jammies each and every night of our trip. EVEN had them gargle with saltwater and used Qtips to put saltwater in their nostrils (not every single night, but a few times...) to ward off anything they may have been exposed to.

And still, after all that, my two boys started with sore throats the morning we left the hotel, and now we all have a really heavy duty, miserable cold.

A 3 month old is easier to keep away from the germs, though...they aren't quite as ept at having their hands out grabbing every surface before promptly stuffing their little fingers into their mouths. On the other hand, Christmas time is flu season; just something to keep in mind. Not sleeping for days on end while caring for and worrying about a tiny sick baby is noooooooo fun.

Take care, and be well. Congratulations on your impending arrival!
Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: