Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #3181
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Digging into some of the non Disney things we are doing during our trip I came across a few new things

:
What does this phrase, non-Disney things mean?

DW keeps talking about going to Sea World, but somehow, we have never made it over there.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #3182
4under4
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 733

Can I join?

I didn't know this board existed, or I would have come by a lot sooner!

Our family is all about COMMANDO touring, and we would love to share tips / get some new ideas.

__________________


Me & DH plus our gang: DS13 DS11 DD/DS9

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #3183
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
Can I join?

I didn't know this board existed, or I would have come by a lot sooner!

Our family is all about COMMANDO touring, and we would love to share tips / get some new ideas.

Sure you can You are member #239 I see your taking your Dad on your next trip (is it his 1st time)
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #3184
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
What does this phrase, non-Disney things mean?

DW keeps talking about going to Sea World, but somehow, we have never made it over there.
For us it's a no brainer to visit SeaWorld, Busch Gardens there water parks Aquatica & Adventure Island, we have Platinum passes that get us in for free at any Busch property, even includes food discounts and preferred parking, I have never been to one of the Disney water parks, but if I have passes or tickets you know I'm going to use them

I keep telling my wife I'm going to look for a gift auction around Orlando to go to, no telling what would come out of that
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #3185
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
Can I join?

I didn't know this board existed, or I would have come by a lot sooner!

Our family is all about COMMANDO touring, and we would love to share tips / get some new ideas.

Welcome. What strategies do you currently use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post

For us it's a no brainer to visit SeaWorld, Busch Gardens there water parks Aquatica & Adventure Island, we have Platinum passes that get us in for free at any Busch property, even includes food discounts and preferred parking, I have never been to one of the Disney water parks, but if I have passes or tickets you know I'm going to use them

I keep telling my wife I'm going to look for a gift auction around Orlando to go to, no telling what would come out of that
I really do want to go to SeaWorld, not because we have passes, but because it does look really fun. Still, we book the Disney trip at 11 months out, book ADRs and plan everything at 6 months, and then when we get there, we realize we forgot to include Sea World. We went to typhoon lagoon on our Honeymoon. It was fun, but I'm just not a big water park guy. We have Holiday World close by here, which has been rated #1 water park in some guides, and is in the top 5 consistency. I'd rather spend by WDW time in the four theme parks.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #3186
4under4
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
I see your taking your Dad on your next trip (is it his 1st time)
It is his first time. We will do a modified commando on the days he does parks with us (4 of the 10 days).... rope drop each day, splitting MK in half to reduce walking / FP retrieval times, and afternoon breaks before taking on evening touring.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Welcome. What strategies do you currently use?
~ Make rope drop & make sure everyone knows where we're going first
~ Plan at least 2 days for MK
~ Use Ridemax (adjusting on the fly if necessary)
~ Eat off times (multiple shared snacks throughout the day so we can eat & move on quickly)
~ Don't wait for anyone we're meeting, just text them our location and let them catch up
~ Be willing to cut our losses on a ride/attraction if it's a longer wait than we expected (we never wait more than 30 minutes)
~ Take afternoon breaks (or at least hit up CoP & TTA a few times )
~ No lunch ADRs, and only pre-park open breakfast ADRs
~ Do Photopass pictures while waiting for Pre-park open ADR &/or in the afternoons when we're "slowing down" &/or on the way out for the day

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those are the biggies.

__________________


Me & DH plus our gang: DS13 DS11 DD/DS9

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #3187
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post

~ Make rope drop & make sure everyone knows where we're going first
~ Plan at least 2 days for MK
~ Use Ridemax (adjusting on the fly if necessary)
~ Eat off times (multiple shared snacks throughout the day so we can eat & move on quickly)
~ Don't wait for anyone we're meeting, just text them our location and let them catch up
~ Be willing to cut our losses on a ride/attraction if it's a longer wait than we expected (we never wait more than 30 minutes)
~ Take afternoon breaks (or at least hit up CoP & TTA a few times )
~ No lunch ADRs, and only pre-park open breakfast ADRs
~ Do Photopass pictures while waiting for Pre-park open ADR &/or in the afternoons when we're "slowing down" &/or on the way out for the day

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those are the biggies.

That is a really good list and I think I have used most all of them. The one we have adjusted over the years is the before park opens breakfast ADR. Now, it is an excellent strategy, but as DVC members, it works even better when we were able to stay at BLT and walk to CRT for breakfast or from BWV to Akershus for breakfast. We found that staying at other resorts and having to add in extra transportation and waking early time was just too much on vacation. Or, perhaps I am just getting too old.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #3188
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
It is his first time. We will do a modified commando on the days he does parks with us (4 of the 10 days).... rope drop each day, splitting MK in half to reduce walking / FP retrieval times, and afternoon breaks before taking on evening touring.




~ Make rope drop & make sure everyone knows where we're going first
~ Plan at least 2 days for MK
~ Use Ridemax (adjusting on the fly if necessary)
~ Eat off times (multiple shared snacks throughout the day so we can eat & move on quickly)
~ Don't wait for anyone we're meeting, just text them our location and let them catch up
~ Be willing to cut our losses on a ride/attraction if it's a longer wait than we expected (we never wait more than 30 minutes)
~ Take afternoon breaks (or at least hit up CoP & TTA a few times )
~ No lunch ADRs, and only pre-park open breakfast ADRs
~ Do Photopass pictures while waiting for Pre-park open ADR &/or in the afternoons when we're "slowing down" &/or on the way out for the day

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those are the biggies.

Hope your Dad has a blast

Sounds like a good strategy, afternoons are my favorite time to get photo pass pictures since most of the rides will have long lines

For dinners I try to get a ADR for as close to 5pm as possible, for a couple reasons,

- most places it is first dinner seating, so there is no waiting for a table to clear
- I have found it likes to rain around that time
- After dinner it's off to a different park

IMO Epcot is the toughest park to come up with a plan for, Most of the characters in the WS are only out till certain times, too many things close at different times, plus the shows in the WS are not timed in any particular way that you can just go from one to the next I find ourselves going back to Epcot more times then the other parks trying to get things done
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #3189
4under4
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 733

I have a question for my fellow commandos...

We arrive the morning of August 19 (crowd level 4-6). AK has morning EMH, and the park closes at 7:00. We could probably be there between 12:00 & 1:00, depending on how long check in takes at SSR.

We will have another full day at AK with my Dad, who will be more interested in the safari, the shows, & the walking trails, so this half day would just be about the thrill rides [EE, Dinosaur, & Primeval Whirl... maybe KRR at the very end of the day].

I'm thinking that if the kids can ride each of these a 2-3 times that afternoon, they won't feel deprived when we skip them while we're there with Papa (&/or I won't have to feel guilty about leaving my Dad to take them on the thrill rides that he won't want to do).

Will there be any FPs left @ 1:00, &/or will the SB lines be horribly long for the entire day??

__________________


Me & DH plus our gang: DS13 DS11 DD/DS9

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #3190
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

I once went to WDW commando style for a week, but I ended up being really itchy and chafed.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #3191
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
I have a question for my fellow commandos...

We arrive the morning of August 19 (crowd level 4-6). AK has morning EMH, and the park closes at 7:00. We could probably be there between 12:00 & 1:00, depending on how long check in takes at SSR.

We will have another full day at AK with my Dad, who will be more interested in the safari, the shows, & the walking trails, so this half day would just be about the thrill rides [EE, Dinosaur, & Primeval Whirl... maybe KRR at the very end of the day].

I'm thinking that if the kids can ride each of these a 2-3 times that afternoon, they won't feel deprived when we skip them while we're there with Papa (&/or I won't have to feel guilty about leaving my Dad to take them on the thrill rides that he won't want to do).

Will there be any FPs left @ 1:00, &/or will the SB lines be horribly long for the entire day??

I think that is a good plan. The morning EMH should have moved on by then. AK is such a big park, and if that is the day you arrive, then it is a great park to walk around after the transportation there. As for FPs, I have no idea. We haven't been in August, so not sure about the crowd levels. We've been able to get FP for the afternoon in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
I once went to WDW commando style for a week, but I ended up being really itchy and chafed.
Joke tried 100+ pages ago. Good try.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #3192
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
I have a question for my fellow commandos...

We arrive the morning of August 19 (crowd level 4-6). AK has morning EMH, and the park closes at 7:00. We could probably be there between 12:00 & 1:00, depending on how long check in takes at SSR.

We will have another full day at AK with my Dad, who will be more interested in the safari, the shows, & the walking trails, so this half day would just be about the thrill rides [EE, Dinosaur, & Primeval Whirl... maybe KRR at the very end of the day].

I'm thinking that if the kids can ride each of these a 2-3 times that afternoon, they won't feel deprived when we skip them while we're there with Papa (&/or I won't have to feel guilty about leaving my Dad to take them on the thrill rides that he won't want to do).

Will there be any FPs left @ 1:00, &/or will the SB lines be horribly long for the entire day??

Wow, I will be missing you by a few days, we are leaving on the 14th, We go a lot in August but I can't really say about the availability of FP in the afternoon at AK, usually we hit all the rides in the morning, with safari 1st, then do FOLK and Nemo in the afternoon, if you are not going to the parade (think it's at 3) the ride lines should be a lot shorter, you can probably get a few of them in during that time, I would go for EE, since Dino's line usually is not too bad
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #3193
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,797

Paid off Aug trip I did not take the Dining plan since we are going to a couple other parks besides Disney, they really should give you a option of how many days you would like the dining plan just like they give you with park tickets
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #3194
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,797

I like this rumor out there about Cars Land & Star Wars Land coming to HS, I've heard it before, but this time it's on the Disboards News

Only thing I don't like is the time frame with completion being 2018, IMO that is way out there

I am thinking there may be something else huge before this (not Avitarland) but maybe something bigger, with AoA, and all the new DVC expansions being built, plus the reconstruction of DTD, they are expecting a lot more guests, maybe with all the stuff being built that is how long it will actually take
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #3195
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
I like this rumor out there about Cars Land & Star Wars Land coming to HS, I've heard it before, but this time it's on the Disboards News

Only thing I don't like is the time frame with completion being 2018, IMO that is way out there

I am thinking there may be something else huge before this (not Avitarland) but maybe something bigger, with AoA, and all the new DVC expansions being built, plus the reconstruction of DTD, they are expecting a lot more guests, maybe with all the stuff being built that is how long it will actually take
I like the backlot express and hate to see it gone, but like many others, attractions come and go. Don't hear much about avatarland anymore. WDW had added another value resort and another DVC resort, with only fantasyland expansion. It is about time they add on some more at the parks.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: