Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #301
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
What part is giving you the most trouble? When are you going again? I would be more than happy to help...
Thank you for the offer! I meant lost in the sense of being cheated out of a night of planning. I didn't get to relax at all last night.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #302
Coach81
DIS Veteran

LOL.. I'm so glad we got our DVC.. don't need to go "Commando" as much any more..
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #303
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsrtw View Post
Thank you for the offer! I meant lost in the sense of being cheated out of a night of planning. I didn't get to relax at all last night.
Oh, ok...lol...that stinks! I know how you feel...I have to go into school for 2 days this week and set up my classroom before we go away...I went in yesterday, and I'm going back in tomorrow. It really was a rude awaking...
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #304
Stinger5
Mouseketeer

Great thread! Just mentioning the word 'commando' seems to get some people worked up on these boards.

I am planning my next commando trip-a four night visit in the fall. Already started the walking workouts for DD4 and DD8mos(ok-maybe not walking yet) so they'll be in game shape for the trip!!!

Wish my luck!!!!

2011 BCV - Halloween Weekend!
2011 AKV-BCV
2010 SSR - 1st DVC stay
2009 BC
2007 CBR
2006 Off site
2005 CS
2001 GC
2000 WL
Stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #305
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger5 View Post
Great thread! Just mentioning the word 'commando' seems to get some people worked up on these boards.

I am planning my next commando trip-a four night visit in the fall. Already started the walking workouts for DD4 and DD8mos(ok-maybe not walking yet) so they'll be in game shape for the trip!!!

Wish my luck!!!!
Love it! When do you leave?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #306
catho72
DIS Veteran

Count me in as a Disney Commando! My motto while on vacation is "Who needs sleep on vacation when I can sleep at home?". We are up early each morning, usually at the parks for RD.

At 180 days, I make our ADR's, pay my membership for TGM and TP, then break out the Excel spreadsheet. I always feel the need to tweak my ADR's. My heart broke when I told my family we had 8:15 reservations at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace (not on the same day, obviously) and they said, "Oh, I don't want to eat there again". WHAT???? What kind of Disney fanatics am I raising? We did wind up eating at Chef Mickey's and Tusker House, but canceled the one at CP. Honestly, planning the trip is more than half the fun for me.

We have been enough times that we don't feel the need to do everything. In fact, on our last trip, we did not see one firework! No Dumbo, no Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, and didn't wait in line to see a character. Our trip was full of pixie dust anyway. I do try to plan one new thing each trip, like an IllumiNations cruise, Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique, exploring the monorail resorts, go to a waterpark, DH did the Segway Tour and I did the KTTK tour. Next time, we will go mini-golfing and to Typhoon Lagoon since we've never been there.

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay
currently planning 2/15 ASMu and 7/15 POR/Poly CL split stay
catho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #307
Riverhill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Oh, ok...lol...that stinks! I know how you feel...I have to go into school for 2 days this week and set up my classroom before we go away...I went in yesterday, and I'm going back in tomorrow. It really was a rude awaking...
I have been spending the days at work getting all my reports, scheduling etc.. in order for when we leave next week. So, in a way being at work is planning for DISNEY. I really love working on the schedule knowing that I will be in the magic kingdom while everyone else is dealing with the rush of people that come to the bank on the 1st and 3rd.

Riverhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #308
2BEKs
Mouseketeer

newbie here!

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie and haven't been to WDW in over 20 years.

We leave next week for 4 park days (one park per day) and I'm the planner.

We have me, total commando if I had my way; DH who mildly dislikes ALL theme parks, but goes to appease me; DD and DS who both LOVE theme parks and will probably be good w/ a commando schedule.

Question for you experts:

I am facing three scenarios as I plan for our MK and Epcot days....

1) Commando open to close, every park. (we have 6 days, but only 4 park days, so we can take rest days in between). I subscribed to RideMax and the plans look TOTALLY doable...

2) Commando AM and PM with a 3 hour (ish) break in the mid-day to get out of the cruel heat.

3) SKIP the am all together and use EMHs to do say 3pm - 2am @ MK and 3pm - midnight @ Epcot.

THOUGHTS on which strategy may be best??

THANKS!!!

DH: (except his boat is a big grey one!)

DD8: (excited about everything!)

DS6: (Celebrating Bday #7 at the MK!)

2BEKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #309
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BEKs View Post
Hello everyone!

We have me, total commando if I had my way; DH who mildly dislikes ALL theme parks, but goes to appease me; DD and DS who both LOVE theme parks and will probably be good w/ a commando schedule.

1) Commando open to close, every park. (we have 6 days, but only 4 park days, so we can take rest days in between). I subscribed to RideMax and the plans look TOTALLY doable...

2) Commando AM and PM with a 3 hour (ish) break in the mid-day to get out of the cruel heat.

3) SKIP the am all together and use EMHs to do say 3pm - 2am @ MK and 3pm - midnight @ Epcot.

THANKS!!!
I would lean between a mix of 1 & 2. If you can handle all day, go for it. You absolutely need to arrive before rope drop, especially with August crowds. Get the popular rides out of the way first, then your must do list, then anything else.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #310
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach81 View Post
LOL.. I'm so glad we got our DVC.. don't need to go "Commando" as much any more..
You are member #93. Congrats on the DVC I would like to go a relax one of these days, but they keep changing and adding all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger5 View Post

Wish my luck!!!!
You are member #94. I think people get worked up because of lack of confidence in their planning, they know if they fail, they help us out

Quote:
Originally Posted by catho72 View Post
Count me in as a Disney Commando! My motto while on vacation is "Who needs sleep on vacation when I can sleep at home?". We are up early each morning, usually at the parks for RD.

At 180 days, I make our ADR's, pay my membership for TGM and TP, then break out the Excel spreadsheet. I always feel the need to tweak my ADR's. My heart broke when I told my family we had 8:15 reservations at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace (not on the same day, obviously) and they said, "Oh, I don't want to eat there again". WHAT???? What kind of Disney fanatics am I raising? We did wind up eating at Chef Mickey's and Tusker House, but canceled the one at CP. Honestly, planning the trip is more than half the fun for me.

We have been enough times that we don't feel the need to do everything. In fact, on our last trip, we did not see one firework! No Dumbo, no Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, and didn't wait in line to see a character. Our trip was full of pixie dust anyway. I do try to plan one new thing each trip, like an IllumiNations cruise, Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique, exploring the monorail resorts, go to a waterpark, DH did the Segway Tour and I did the KTTK tour. Next time, we will go mini-golfing and to Typhoon Lagoon since we've never been there.
You are member #95. I'm glad they added Capt EO this year since I was going to skip HISTA last time we went during a pm EMH, I could have done alot of better things in that 1/2 hour Also does anyone ever watch the movie in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BEKs View Post
Hello everyone!

THANKS!!!
You are member #96. I myself would go with 1, but you might be better off with 2
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #311
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Hey everybody! I found a pretty cool packing link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....hlight=packing

Thought I would post it before I crash from exhaustion.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #312
Cayenne
Mouseketeer

You can sign me up!

I'm only fifteen, and although I've been to DL four times I've only been to WDW once - and that was when I was three! However, my mother and I have decided on celebrating either my seventeenth or eighteenth birthday (October 13th) with a visit to WDW and I'm already doing research and planning. Planning and researching is such a fantastic release, and a great way to keep myself from going insane waiting!

I've read through this entire thread and made many - a - note; I will be a veteran by the time I go without even having a previous trip in living memory! Any additional tips you'd be willing to give me are so, so loved!
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #313
stitchywoman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
You can sign me up!

I'm only fifteen, and although I've been to DL four times I've only been to WDW once - and that was when I was three! However, my mother and I have decided on celebrating either my seventeenth or eighteenth birthday (October 13th) with a visit to WDW and I'm already doing research and planning. Planning and researching is such a fantastic release, and a great way to keep myself from going insane waiting!

I've read through this entire thread and made many - a - note; I will be a veteran by the time I go without even having a previous trip in living memory! Any additional tips you'd be willing to give me are so, so loved!

We are here for you...I would like to think that part of being a good commando is willingness to help. I don't know what info I can give that you don't already have but if you need anything feel free to ask. If I don't have it I can find it. My friends always make jokes that if I can't find it it doesn't exist!
September 2012-first trip staying offsite and mixing families!

"Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength."
Henry Ward Beecher
stitchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #314
stitchywoman
Mouseketeer

Hey guys...I know it doesn't have anything to do with the thread but I needed to get this out. I am so frustrated. Atleast I think it's frustration. My cousin calls me yesterday and refers to himself as "Jody's nephew." By the way Jody is my step-dad but they have been my family since I was born as my mom and step-dad were together when I was born. He's my daddy.... My greatgrandma died about 2 weeks ago and we have been waiting for funeral info from my other cousin who is making the arrangements. She is the one I was closest to in the family and it is hitting me REALLY hard. Well we have all called and called but got no answers back. I just knew they were going to have the funeral while I was supposed to be at Disney and my mom and dad told me I needed to go on the trip. It cost a lot of money we don't really have, I would have to cancel my DBFF's trip to (since I am paying) and grandma Ruby would have wanted me to go cause well thats who she is. Anyway, back on topic. I got a call yesterday asking for my parent's number because he had dropped his phone in water and the only number he had was mine because I had left it in the voice mail they recovered. He wanted to "check" to make sure they had the info for the funeral that my other cousin's girlfriend was supposed to call everyone with. Mind you my dad and she had some issues that tore our whole family apart for a while...we still don't talk much and all used to be VERY close. Well needless to say she never called and since no one else returned any of our calls we didn't know when or where the funeral was planned. Turned out it's TODAY! We almost missed my grandma's funeral...So now I am frustrated and upset and hurt and sad and angry.....I am so lost in an insane amount of emotion I don't know what to do with it. That on top of me being behind on my daily preparation schedule and being off from work while my work injuries heal has me not sleeping at all.

Sorry to put this here, but my fellow commandos are the only people I could think of who could handle all this crap at once...hahahaha...thanks guys.
September 2012-first trip staying offsite and mixing families!

"Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength."
Henry Ward Beecher
stitchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #315
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchywoman View Post
Hey guys...I know it doesn't have anything to do with the thread but I needed to get this out. I am so frustrated. Atleast I think it's frustration. My cousin calls me yesterday and refers to himself as "Jody's nephew." By the way Jody is my step-dad but they have been my family since I was born as my mom and step-dad were together when I was born. He's my daddy.... My greatgrandma died about 2 weeks ago and we have been waiting for funeral info from my other cousin who is making the arrangements. She is the one I was closest to in the family and it is hitting me REALLY hard. Well we have all called and called but got no answers back. I just knew they were going to have the funeral while I was supposed to be at Disney and my mom and dad told me I needed to go on the trip. It cost a lot of money we don't really have, I would have to cancel my DBFF's trip to (since I am paying) and grandma Ruby would have wanted me to go cause well thats who she is. Anyway, back on topic. I got a call yesterday asking for my parent's number because he had dropped his phone in water and the only number he had was mine because I had left it in the voice mail they recovered. He wanted to "check" to make sure they had the info for the funeral that my other cousin's girlfriend was supposed to call everyone with. Mind you my dad and she had some issues that tore our whole family apart for a while...we still don't talk much and all used to be VERY close. Well needless to say she never called and since no one else returned any of our calls we didn't know when or where the funeral was planned. Turned out it's TODAY! We almost missed my grandma's funeral...So now I am frustrated and upset and hurt and sad and angry.....I am so lost in an insane amount of emotion I don't know what to do with it. That on top of me being behind on my daily preparation schedule and being off from work while my work injuries heal has me not sleeping at all.

Sorry to put this here, but my fellow commandos are the only people I could think of who could handle all this crap at once...hahahaha...thanks guys.
first, sorry to hear about your grandma.well, atleast you made it to the funeral.thats the most important thing. dont let it destroy your trip. put the family behind you and and have a nice vacation!! we all have that "family member".its not worth getting upset over. hang in there, thats what were here for!!!!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: