Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #2611
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Sounds good, but we'll have to pick something different than scotch. Although, as I've tried the black label and red label, is the blue that much better? I'm making my way through the bourbon bar and have a new favorite now.

I love food too and trying new foods sounds great. Also, I would do the wine pairings. I have a co-worker who goes every year or so, and her whole family does the chef table. She has told me about all the courses and I can only imagine the price tag. I think DW and I will just try it one year.
Yes, but may I advise to split a wine pairing (they do this all of the time) because they pair wine with every course (from what I understand about 10 or 11 courses). Most people say it's still plenty of wine, and those who do not share, from all TR's I have read everywhere end up wasting a good portion of it. The price? Well the Dining room is included in the Platinum pkg and the Chef's Table is about a $75 upgrade plus the wine pairing at $105. So for $255 (2 people) you get a meal worth (or so they say ) $610. Something to look into when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
I'm always up for a Dis meet, Thanks for the offer but this year it looks like we will be there August 4-14, this year we will be there for my Son's 8th Birthday & Our 10th Wedding Anniversary, I'd rather go in the fall but it's not often you can bang out 2 big days in one trip,
I completely understand. We used to go the last week of Aug right before Labor Day which is around my brother's birthday. The little twerp got to celebrate B-days at WDW for the same reason you guys are going (do I sound bitter? ). Enjoy the mass celebrations!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #2612
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post

I completely understand. We used to go the last week of Aug right before Labor Day which is around my brother's birthday. The little twerp got to celebrate B-days at WDW for the same reason you guys are going (do I sound bitter? ). Enjoy the mass celebrations!
He is a bit to say WDW spoiled, he has been there 9 times since he was almost 2 7times with me and Once with Grandparents & Once with Grandparents & Wife

This year when we go in August he will have already gone with his Grandparents 2 weeks before we go, talk about a bounce back trip (hope Grandparents take care of the souvenirs so he doesn't want too much)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #2613
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Yes, but may I advise to split a wine pairing (they do this all of the time) because they pair wine with every course (from what I understand about 10 or 11 courses). Most people say it's still plenty of wine, and those who do not share, from all TR's I have read everywhere end up wasting a good portion of it. The price? Well the Dining room is included in the Platinum pkg and the Chef's Table is about a $75 upgrade plus the wine pairing at $105. So for $255 (2 people) you get a meal worth (or so they say ) $610. Something to look into when you can.
!
I think we will just try for the regular dining room which only has 7 courses. I can handle 5 or 6 glasses of wine over a 2.5 hour period. The Chef's table has more and is closer to 4 hours from what I remember. There is a V&A thread over in restaurant forum I read and dream about.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #2614
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
He is a bit to say WDW spoiled, he has been there 9 times since he was almost 2 7times with me and Once with Grandparents & Once with Grandparents & Wife

This year when we go in August he will have already gone with his Grandparents 2 weeks before we go, talk about a bounce back trip (hope Grandparents take care of the souvenirs so he doesn't want too much)
I can relate to your son. While we never went for my bday, by the time I was 9 I had been to WDW 9 times. In fact, that's how I keep track of how many times I have been. Yes, I am spoiled by WDW and proud of it! I was lucky enough to go on trips with my parents, cousin, aunt, grandmother AND great grandmother! All of us together, those are such treasured memories. I am happy your son has that kind of foundation. Grandparents are supposed to spoil you, just not rotten.
Now you wanna talk about souvenirs? My grandmother bought my brother a life size Simba doll while at the world. At the time, the boy was like 3 or 4 and the kid couldn't even hold it (considering it was 10 times his size). Well, the Lion King had JUST come out and my brother attached himself to the doll while in the store just sitting on simba, so of course my grandmother had to get it. Not ONLY did she pay full WDW prices for the life-size doll. She also paid for a plane ticket for it. Yes you read that correctly. This was pre 9/11 and so we had just walked through security with it because my brother could not be separated from his Simba. Well the stewardess offered to check it at the gate, but nooooooooooo my grandmother paid cash money for a ticket, for a stuffed animal. No lie. I love the woman and yes she spoiled me as well, but that one takes the cake!
Commando Member #216

Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #2615
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think we will just try for the regular dining room which only has 7 courses. I can handle 5 or 6 glasses of wine over a 2.5 hour period. The Chef's table has more and is closer to 4 hours from what I remember. There is a V&A thread over in restaurant forum I read and dream about.
I hear ya! I know hunny would get a kick out seeing everything prepared and I don't see us going back to V&A's (I say that as I have never been, once I go that kind of naive talk may go flying out the window, lol). In your case though, you would only have to pay $65pp for the wine pairing and you can use TIW in the dining room and on alcohol.
Commando Member #216

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #2616
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Sounds good, but we'll have to pick something different than scotch. Although, as I've tried the black label and red label, is the blue that much better?
The blue is not really much better... It's maybe a little smokier and earthy than Black.

I honestly prefer Glenfiddich 12YR to JW Blue.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #2617
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
I can relate to your son. While we never went for my bday, by the time I was 9 I had been to WDW 9 times. In fact, that's how I keep track of how many times I have been. Yes, I am spoiled by WDW and proud of it! I was lucky enough to go on trips with my parents, cousin, aunt, grandmother AND great grandmother! All of us together, those are such treasured memories. I am happy your son has that kind of foundation. Grandparents are supposed to spoil you, just not rotten.
Now you wanna talk about souvenirs? My grandmother bought my brother a life size Simba doll while at the world. At the time, the boy was like 3 or 4 and the kid couldn't even hold it (considering it was 10 times his size). Well, the Lion King had JUST come out and my brother attached himself to the doll while in the store just sitting on simba, so of course my grandmother had to get it. Not ONLY did she pay full WDW prices for the life-size doll. She also paid for a plane ticket for it. Yes you read that correctly. This was pre 9/11 and so we had just walked through security with it because my brother could not be separated from his Simba. Well the stewardess offered to check it at the gate, but nooooooooooo my grandmother paid cash money for a ticket, for a stuffed animal. No lie. I love the woman and yes she spoiled me as well, but that one takes the cake!
I hope he still has it, that Simba probably cost more to get it home then what she paid for it, I bet it got a lot of second takes from people on the plane
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #2618
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
The blue is not really much better... It's maybe a little smokier and earthy than Black.

I honestly prefer Glenfiddich 12YR to JW Blue.
I've never had either, I do have a bottle of JW Blue in the bar, just waiting for a occasion to crack it open

So Brian are you heading back to WDW this year

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #2619
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
I've never had either, I do have a bottle of JW Blue in the bar, just waiting for a occasion to crack it open

So Brian are you heading back to WDW this year
Don't think so... we've been talking about Disneyland... probably August 2013.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #2620
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I hope he still has it, that Simba probably cost more to get it home then what she paid for it, I bet it got a lot of second takes from people on the plane
Yes he still has it, my mother would never let him live it down.
Between the stuffed lion sitting in it's own seat with a little kid and his grandmother next to it just a cheesin away, and my dad, aunt and cousin constantly saying "mama that don't make no sense, mama we can't believe you did that" I don't know what was more the more interesting sight.
Commando Member #216

Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #2621
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Yes he still has it, my mother would never let him live it down.
Between the stuffed lion sitting in it's own seat with a little kid and his grandmother next to it just a cheesin away, and my dad, aunt and cousin constantly saying "mama that don't make no sense, mama we can't believe you did that" I don't know what was more the more interesting sight.
I laughed so hard reading that. That would have been some plane ride home.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #2622
MaMudduck
Disney Princess Forever
I think is too cold in Canadian for the Tag fairy...She might freeze her pixie dust off!

Quote:
Alrighty my Commandos, how about a little pre-trip planning?
Now I know you all are going to think me a little crazy ya know, with me being a unemployed about to be FT student and all However, I was looking over the plans that hunny and I had for our (prayerfully) 2013 Nov trip and I looked at the Platinum dining plan. I could add a night to our 8-night trip and do 3 nights at AK Villas value studio for $300 and then a 3-night AK villa 1 bedroom with a room discount and THEN 3-nights at BLT with a lake view some-kind-of-room I can afford, lol. I will purchase tickets (since I have to) for the Platinum plan and upgrade them to the PAP's. Now I lose the $65 discount per PAP I could have gotten by purchasing through UT, but I save a whoooooooole lot on the excursions we had wanted to do. For the price I was going to pay for 1 of us (him) to do the RP Exotic drive, parasailing for us both and the upcharge for switching to BLT, I now get La Nouba, a few tours, a few more water activites AND free deluxe-style dining that includes V&A's!

So this is what the plan looks like so far:

Friday Day 1: Arrival (AKL) Platinum
 Arrival via ME
 Upgrade tickets to PAP and check-in
 Lunch @ Fulton’s ($25pp)
 Sightseeing around DTD/Shopping
 5:30p.m. La Nouba
 Illuminations Cruise
 9:30p.m. Dinner @ Marrakesh ($40pp)
 Snacks: Goofy’s, Ghiradelli’s
Saturday Day 2: Platinum
 8:05a.m. Breakfast @ Crystal Palace ($23pp)
 MK touring
 Parasailing
 Noon Epcot Aqua Seas Tour
 5:30p.m. V&A’s
 (*Optional: EMH/Disney Quest/Splitsville)
 Snacks: Aloha Isle, Boulangeri
Sunday Day 3: Platinum
 7:30a.m. Breakfast @ Boma ($31pp)
 9 a.m. Church @ Main Gate COC
 10:15a.m. RP Experience
 1:30p.m. Lunch @ Teppan Edo ($40pp)
 Behind the Seeds
 Spa
 Horseback riding/Biking/Water Excursion
 8:45p.m. Dinner @ Cali. Grill ($60pp)
 (*Optional: EMH/Disney Quest/Splitsville)
 Snacks: Boulangeri, Karamel Kuche
Monday Day 4: Platinum
 8:15a.m. Backstage Magic Tour (Includes Lunch @ Whispering Canyon)
 4:45p.m. Dinner @ Mama Melrose ($40pp)
 6:30p.m. Fantasmic! Priority Seating
 11p.m. In-Room Service Breakfast
 Snacks: Cupcakes, Beignets

Now I figure a taxi to V&A's, we already have to get a taxi for church and I can bring our clothes to change for Cali Grill later. I have pretty much a hour planned (at least) in between each activity. The times I did put down, are the times I want to arrive (for example the excursion Saturday starts at 12:30 but I plan to get there by noon). Soooo what say you all? Thanks guys!!!
Wow!!!!- you just laid out my newest dream plan!
I think I need to do some more research into the Platinum plan.
yes, some serious replanning, rethinking....
WDW Commando Member#199

Wendy-MaMudduck-WDW' 77, Poly'78, DL'81,Grovs '88, ASMo'02, CBR'03, Vistana Oct'04,PolyCL- Oct'05,MVMCP@ POP Dec'07, BCV/BWV- Nov'08, Bonnet Creek, US/IOA, Nov '10, Disneyland-Nov '11 Dream Trip AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13, 1st Solo Trip- Mar'14
PaMudduck- Grovs'88, ASMo'02, Oct'04, POP- DEC'07 ,Disneyland-Nov'11 AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
'LilMudduck- ASMo'02, CBR'03, Oct'04, PolyCL-Oct'05, MVMCP- POP Dec'07WWoHP Nov '10, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
MaMudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #2623
MaMudduck
Disney Princess Forever
I think is too cold in Canadian for the Tag fairy...She might freeze her pixie dust off!

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone who has gone to WDW in the last few months is collecting the Sorcerers of The MK Game Cards, and if you have any doubles if you would be willing to trade them,

Since a lot of Commando members are also DisDad members (including myself) what I was thinking was having the 2 clubs Team up to trade cards, I know there is a tread that does trading, but I for one don't know who I'm trading with, With this we are familiar with some of the posters and would be more comfortable with completing a trade
I have any entire pack of doubles you can have (for whatever you want to send me) I played for the first time back in Oct. got 2 sets to start, went back another day got the exact some deck as the first one. I'll pull them out and find out what you want me to send.
WDW Commando Member#199

Wendy-MaMudduck-WDW' 77, Poly'78, DL'81,Grovs '88, ASMo'02, CBR'03, Vistana Oct'04,PolyCL- Oct'05,MVMCP@ POP Dec'07, BCV/BWV- Nov'08, Bonnet Creek, US/IOA, Nov '10, Disneyland-Nov '11 Dream Trip AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13, 1st Solo Trip- Mar'14
PaMudduck- Grovs'88, ASMo'02, Oct'04, POP- DEC'07 ,Disneyland-Nov'11 AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
'LilMudduck- ASMo'02, CBR'03, Oct'04, PolyCL-Oct'05, MVMCP- POP Dec'07WWoHP Nov '10, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #2624
MaMudduck
Disney Princess Forever

Quote:
Not to move in on the boys club but since we all seem to go around the same time of year, I can share the fireworks boat. As the time gets closer, you guys let me know. Plus it's always good to have a Dis meet.
Okay so let's make it a girls club (and we'll invite the guys), I'm thinking I'd like to plan something late Nov/ early Dec. 2013 (2weeks)- let's see what dates are a possibility for a Commando Dis meet? Keep me in mine.
WDW Commando Member#199

Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #2625
zianha
Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened!

Oh man! I'm so outta the loop since I haven't been here in months! Forgive me if y'all already talked about this, but who else wishes they were gonna give more notice for what's to come in each week of the Limited Time Magic promo??

And Disney Commando- I thought of you when I saw the video of the Dapper Dans singing boy band songs!!
Me-Shandale(39) DS11 DS15 Ziggy Zoe NDM #344---WDW Commando Member #121
My Blog! http://alldaydisney.com/
My YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/AllDayDisney

zianha is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: