Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #2566
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
We did Storytime in 2009 when book through CAA (Canada's version of AAA)

Back then it was held in Tony's Town Square (not sure where it is Now, as Mickey, Minnie, and the Princess have take over that spot).

But it is where a Disney Character comes out for a private one on one with the kids, reads a story to them and they play for a bit, that do a meet and greet.

Snow White was there for ours....

2009 - ages 4 and 6
That sounds really cool. I'm sure you have to book through them to get it.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2567
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS10
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #2568
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
We did Storytime in 2009 when book through CAA (Canada's version of AAA)

Back then it was held in Tony's Town Square (not sure where it is Now, as Mickey, Minnie, and the Princess have take over that spot).

But it is where a Disney Character comes out for a private one on one with the kids, reads a story to them and they play for a bit, that do a meet and greet.

Snow White was there for ours....

2009 - ages 4 and 6
Quote:
Yes you can only get story time if you book with AAA, we have had Snow White twice & Mary Poppins 3 times now, I know Alice & Aladin also do it but have never had them, one thing that is really cool about this is they might only have at the most 20 kids so it is really personal. It has changed spots a few times now, it use to be at MK, then went to Epcot in Norway & currently is held at Innovations West

If you book through a agent, the cost is almost the same as if you book with WDW, but I like to get the perks without having to pay extra

If you book with AAA you can also book these events 180days in advance, and they do require a reservation
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Last edited by Disney Commando; 12-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #2569
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

I see they are getting ready for more NextGen tests, I'm not a big fan of NextGen since it can make you really LAZY while at the parks, but looking at in a Commando way, if you can get out of places faster & have reserved viewing for Illuminations etc, we can really add a ton of touring time to our day
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #2570
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
I see they are getting ready for more NextGen tests, I'm not a big fan of NextGen since it can make you really LAZY while at the parks, but looking at in a Commando way, if you can get out of places faster & have reserved viewing for Illuminations etc, we can really add a ton of touring time to our day
What's NextGen
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2571
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
What's NextGen
NextGen is everything from RFID (radio frequency identification) readers for a new style of ticket, to booking a ADR and pre selecting your menu items (think you will feel rushed at lunch or dinner), to the Fastpass + system that will allow guests to plan out their day, by letting them pre choose the time they want to do attractions, and reserve spots for shows, parades, fireworks etc.

Right now most of this is still in testing, the RFID's are limited but are in all 4 parks

Now as a Commando, you might say this is Great, it's like a little kid in a candy store, Well I fear the big problem will be the average guest who will not be there on time expect to get right in, cutting in front of everyone, cause they are the only ones in the park In the Big picture I can't see any huge advantage of any of this except a cut in labor, it is happening everyday in company's everywhere

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #2572
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
NextGen is everything from RFID (radio frequency identification) readers for a new style of ticket, to booking a ADR and pre selecting your menu items (think you will feel rushed at lunch or dinner), to the Fastpass + system that will allow guests to plan out their day, by letting them pre choose the time they want to do attractions, and reserve spots for shows, parades, fireworks etc.

Right now most of this is still in testing, the RFID's are limited but are in all 4 parks

Now as a Commando, you might say this is Great, it's like a little kid in a candy store, Well I fear the big problem will be the average guest who will not be there on time expect to get right in, cutting in front of everyone, cause they are the only ones in the park In the Big picture I can't see any huge advantage of any of this except a cut in labor, it is happening everyday in company's everywhere
Thanks! I don;t like any of the new stuff even as a commando. The RFID is just a big brother reminder. The problem with huge conveniences is HUGE inconveniences when things go wrong. The ADR/ pivk your food ahead of time/ ADR for QS I am thoroughly against. I mean, if it works like to-go, where you can like place a order a few hours ahead of time at QS, ok, that's cool. But I think they are completely overdoing ADR's. It can get to the point where planner or not, no one will really be able to eat where they want when they want. Being a commando is about maximizing time and the quality of the time you spend, not all out control over every second. The fastpass+ plus system, well fastpass is hard enough for some. IDK, there is something to be said for simplicity. While I don't enjoy waiting in 2 hour lines in blazing heat all day everyday, there is nostalgia in taking time. When 15 minutes become "too long" for folks to wait, I think were missing the point. Just MHO
Commando Member #216

Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #2573
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Thanks! I don;t like any of the new stuff even as a commando. The RFID is just a big brother reminder. The problem with huge conveniences is HUGE inconveniences when things go wrong. The ADR/ pivk your food ahead of time/ ADR for QS I am thoroughly against. I mean, if it works like to-go, where you can like place a order a few hours ahead of time at QS, ok, that's cool. But I think they are completely overdoing ADR's. It can get to the point where planner or not, no one will really be able to eat where they want when they want. Being a commando is about maximizing time and the quality of the time you spend, not all out control over every second. The fastpass+ plus system, well fastpass is hard enough for some. IDK, there is something to be said for simplicity. While I don't enjoy waiting in 2 hour lines in blazing heat all day everyday, there is nostalgia in taking time. When 15 minutes become "too long" for folks to wait, I think were missing the point. Just MHO
I agree with you, although you would be able to plan what you want to do IMO it would be a Dictated trip, I often wonder what the lines would be like if there was no FP's , Everyone would be somewhere but would the lines really get any longer, or just less people riding the rides multiple times with the FP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #2574
TunaSled
No Windows and No Doors

Quote:
Being a commando is about maximizing time and the quality of the time you spend, not all out control over every second.
Succinct. There is a nugget of wisdom right here.

WDW Commando Club member #220

TunaSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #2575
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaSled View Post
Succinct. There is a nugget of wisdom right here.
Well thank you fellow Michiganian!

And Commando, I am looking forward to using FP for the first time on this next trip. I just have to say again, for me there is a bit of nostalgia waiting in lines. We used to go with my great grandmother, grandmother, father, aunt, cousin and mom. Being in line together cracking jokes and hanging out. There is something to be said about the pause a line causes you to take. I think your absolutely right, I think the lines would stay just as long but people may not ride certain rides over and over again.
Commando Member #216

Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #2576
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Thanks! I don;t like any of the new stuff even as a commando. The RFID is just a big brother reminder. The problem with huge conveniences is HUGE inconveniences when things go wrong. The ADR/ pivk your food ahead of time/ ADR for QS I am thoroughly against. I mean, if it works like to-go, where you can like place a order a few hours ahead of time at QS, ok, that's cool. But I think they are completely overdoing ADR's.
I agree with You about the meals. I like having the ADRs, but I hate having to make them 6 months before the trip. I like having the opportunity to select where we will eat, and I choose the times around our plans, i.e., an ADR breakfast before the park opens. But, I don't want to be ordering my food hours before I eat it. I like to scan the menu as a part of our meal experience. As for QS, just how hungry will I be in two hours to order food? Too much for me.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #2577
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with You about the meals. I like having the ADRs, but I hate having to make them 6 months before the trip. I like having the opportunity to select where we will eat, and I choose the times around our plans, i.e., an ADR breakfast before the park opens. But, I don't want to be ordering my food hours before I eat it. I like to scan the menu as a part of our meal experience. As for QS, just how hungry will I be in two hours to order food? Too much for me.
Exactly. It just seems they are trying to get us to plan or plans ya know? Like someone else said, soon there's going to be a fp line for the restrooms
Commando Member #216

Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #2578
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Well thank you fellow Michiganian!

And Commando, I am looking forward to using FP for the first time on this next trip. I just have to say again, for me there is a bit of nostalgia waiting in lines. We used to go with my great grandmother, grandmother, father, aunt, cousin and mom. Being in line together cracking jokes and hanging out. There is something to be said about the pause a line causes you to take. I think your absolutely right, I think the lines would stay just as long but people may not ride certain rides over and over again.
I'm going to show my age now, I remember when there were no FP's and had to use a ticket to get on a ride or see a show, this is where dad had to break out the wallet since you always seemed to need more tickets, then it went to everything included, it wasn't till my Honeymoon that I got to use a FP, if things keep advancing in ten years when you get to a park you will just sit in a chair and it will take you to the choices you selected (like on Wall-e)

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #2579
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm going to show my age now, I remember when there were no FP's and had to use a ticket to get on a ride or see a show, this is where dad had to break out the wallet since you always seemed to need more tickets, then it went to everything included, it wasn't till my Honeymoon that I got to use a FP, if things keep advancing in ten years when you get to a park you will just sit in a chair and it will take you to the choices you selected (like on Wall-e)
bwaaaaaahahahahaha, right! I don't remember the days of needing a ticket per ride/ showing your ticket after entering the gates. But I do recall the pre-fastpass days. To be honest, I miss em. I like the fastpass system, I just don't like the "it's gotta be bigger better faster stronger. . . two seconds after we created it" mentality of today's society. It's warp speed

BTW everyone, Happy Holidays!!! Hope everyone is safe and has lot's of Joy, Peace and Love plus that extra Disney Magic. I for one am thankful to be apart of the DisBoards Commando Club As most of you know, I have ventured (fearfully) out onto the boards from time to time and it can be scary. But here, I feel the magic and the love of all things Disney and I appreciate you all for being so generous with you helpful knowledge! Merry Christmas
Commando Member #216

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #2580
MaMudduck
Disney Princess Forever
I think is too cold in Canadian for the Tag fairy...She might freeze her pixie dust off!

Quote:
Happy Holidays!!! Hope everyone is safe and has lot's of Joy, Peace and Love plus that extra Disney Magic. I for one am thankful to be apart of the DisBoards Commando Club As most of you know, I have ventured (fearfully) out onto the boards from time to time and it can be scary. But here, I feel the magic and the love of all things Disney and I appreciate you all for being so generous with you helpful knowledge! Merry Christmas
Yes Merry Christmas & a prosperous New Year to everyone, and don't be scared of the disboards, it just a bunch of Disney freaks in the lonely world of the internet that understand the WDW obsession.
WDW Commando Member#199

Wendy-MaMudduck-WDW' 77, Poly'78, DL'81,Grovs '88, ASMo'02, CBR'03, Vistana Oct'04,PolyCL- Oct'05,MVMCP@ POP Dec'07, BCV/BWV- Nov'08, Bonnet Creek, US/IOA, Nov '10, Disneyland-Nov '11 Dream Trip AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13, 1st Solo Trip- Mar'14 , 2nd Solo trip-Nov '14
PaMudduck- Grovs'88, ASMo'02, Oct'04, POP- DEC'07 ,Disneyland-Nov'11 AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
'LilMudduck- ASMo'02, CBR'03, Oct'04, PolyCL-Oct'05, MVMCP- POP Dec'07WWoHP Nov '10, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
MaMudduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: