Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #2311
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

This might be really early for this but I hate to come back from a trip without a new one in the working, so with careful consideration it is almost a no brainer that the perfect week for us to go will be Aug 4 - Aug 10th, why this week, I'll be able to get a 2 for 1 this week, on the 4th it will be my son's 8th Bday and on the 9th it will be my wife & I 10th anniversary of course a Shula's dinner is in order for that day, My son would like to go to T-rex cafe for his Bday, I think that can be arranged
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #2312
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
This might be really early for this but I hate to come back from a trip without a new one in the working, so with careful consideration it is almost a no brainer that the perfect week for us to go will be Aug 4 - Aug 10th, why this week, I'll be able to get a 2 for 1 this week, on the 4th it will be my son's 8th Bday and on the 9th it will be my wife & I 10th anniversary of course a Shula's dinner is in order for that day, My son would like to go to T-rex cafe for his Bday, I think that can be arranged
How is the lobster at Shula's? We've never been and going first time on Easter Sunday. I was thinking of Surf n Turf, but I am a big lobster fan.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #2313
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
How is the lobster at Shula's? We've never been and going first time on Easter Sunday. I was thinking of Surf n Turf, but I am a big lobster fan.
I don't do seafood so I can't say, my wife had the crab cakes, they were huge and she said they were awesome, I can tell you the prime rib is second to none and you know how much I like my steaks
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #2314
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
I don't do seafood so I can't say, my wife had the crab cakes, they were huge and she said they were awesome, I can tell you the prime rib is second to none and you know how much I like my steaks
I like Prime Rib. The best Prime Rib I have had thus far was at the Turf Club at SSR.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #2315
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
I like Prime Rib. The best Prime Rib I have had thus far was at the Turf Club at SSR.
I have not eaten there yet, I try to do 2 new places every trip, for next August Portabella's is high on the list of new places to try, for our Nov trip our 2 new places are Boma & Bongo's

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #2316
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
I have not eaten there yet, I try to do 2 new places every trip, for next August Portabella's is high on the list of new places to try, for our Nov trip our 2 new places are Boma & Bongo's
Been to all those 3. I found myself staying away from buffets. Sure, I can put away the food, but once the dds came along, it was just a lot easier not to do buffets. Now, I just like the thought of being it my special turn to have the food cooked for me. Boma does have a good buffet, but Jiko is one of my top 4 signatures at this time, so I would return there over Boma. I told you that DW and I went to Bongo's for our Disneymoon 12 years ago and really liked it. She still talks about her fried plantaines that she had. As soon as we think dds are old enough to take there or leave behind by themselves, we will return.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #2317
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Been to all those 3. I found myself staying away from buffets. Sure, I can put away the food, but once the dds came along, it was just a lot easier not to do buffets. Now, I just like the thought of being it my special turn to have the food cooked for me. Boma does have a good buffet, but Jiko is one of my top 4 signatures at this time, so I would return there over Boma. I told you that DW and I went to Bongo's for our Disneymoon 12 years ago and really liked it. She still talks about her fried plantaines that she had. As soon as we think dds are old enough to take there or leave behind by themselves, we will return.
we also try to stay away from buffets, I do like 1900 PF and figure that Boma's is a little more upscale compared to lets say Chef Mickeys

I also tend to shy from signature restaurants, they may be gourmet, but that usually means smaller fancy looking portions at double the price, I hate to drop a bundle and be hungary later on

I would say the upper mid scale restaurants, would probably be the best value

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #2318
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
we also try to stay away from buffets, I do like 1900 PF and figure that Boma's is a little more upscale compared to lets say Chef Mickeys

I also tend to shy from signature restaurants, they may be gourmet, but that usually means smaller fancy looking portions at double the price, I hate to drop a bundle and be hungary later on

I would say the upper mid scale restaurants, would probably be the best value
It depends on the Signature. I have tried all the Disney Signature restaurants, except V&A. Now, it's on to the ones at Swan & Dolphin. Of those, the only ones I plan to return to are Fulton's, Narcoosee's, California Grill, and Jiko. The crab at Fulton's is expensive, but it is the best, especially given all the KY crab choices.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2319
MaMudduck
Disney Princess Forever
I think is too cold in Canadian for the Tag fairy...She might freeze her pixie dust off!

I love Boma's. Once I found AKL (we took dd-6, to the Simba Clubhouse) every time we've gone to WDW we've gone to Boma's and I don't like to do buffets.
We eat out a lot and just before we went to WDW, I was getting so bored of restaurant food, no flavour, no taste...just the same old,same old. I am sure glad I booked Boma's for our first night of vacation. It was so good, food with real taste, flavours.... yummy
Commander- they have a huge "meat carving" station, the night we were there was: Prime Rib, Roast Lamb, Pork roast

yummy goodness, especially for a buffet
WDW Commando Member#199

Wendy-MaMudduck-WDW' 77, Poly'78, DL'81,Grovs '88, ASMo'02, CBR'03, Vistana Oct'04,PolyCL- Oct'05,MVMCP@ POP Dec'07, BCV/BWV- Nov'08, Bonnet Creek, US/IOA, Nov '10, Disneyland-Nov '11 Dream Trip AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13, 1st Solo Trip- Mar'14
PaMudduck- Grovs'88, ASMo'02, Oct'04, POP- DEC'07 ,Disneyland-Nov'11 AKL-Oct'12, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
'LilMudduck- ASMo'02, CBR'03, Oct'04, PolyCL-Oct'05, MVMCP- POP Dec'07WWoHP Nov '10, Xmas 1.5 Dec'13
MaMudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #2320
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
It depends on the Signature. I have tried all the Disney Signature restaurants, except V&A. Now, it's on to the ones at Swan & Dolphin. Of those, the only ones I plan to return to are Fulton's, Narcoosee's, California Grill, and Jiko. The crab at Fulton's is expensive, but it is the best, especially given all the KY crab choices.
So true, for example LeCellier, I like it there we will be doing a lunch there in Nov, but as a signature I would not waste the 2 credits on a dinner and after Jan the lunch also will be 2 credits, most likely I will not be back, I feel it is over priced and you could do much better gaining to 2, 1 TS credits at other restaurants, even if I was paying out of pocket I would probably choose somewhere like Shula's over LeCellier for a couple bucks more, but for me the most important factor is not to be rushed, and I will say at a lot of restaurants they move you along, if you have the 1st seating dinner should take a while to get to the table, not in 20mins from when you order, if it gets there that quick then they are precooking orders, I do like Teppen Edo where they cook it in front of you, you know it's cooked to order and it's fun watching the little show the chef's put on while cooking

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #2321
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMudduck View Post
I love Boma's. Once I found AKL (we took dd-6, to the Simba Clubhouse) every time we've gone to WDW we've gone to Boma's and I don't like to do buffets.
We eat out a lot and just before we went to WDW, I was getting so bored of restaurant food, no flavour, no taste...just the same old,same old. I am sure glad I booked Boma's for our first night of vacation. It was so good, food with real taste, flavours.... yummy
Commander- they have a huge "meat carving" station, the night we were there was: Prime Rib, Roast Lamb, Pork roast

yummy goodness, especially for a buffet
The meat carving selection along with the unique foods is what made me pick Boma's

The one thing at the F&W festival that I can't wait to get is jerk chicken, I've been eating jerk turkey as a cold cut, but I really want to try some authentic jerk chicken

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #2322
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Oooohhh you all are making me hungry. I am looking forward to hunny and I's vaycay because we are real foodies. Without the kids especially we will be able to cover much more ground.
Our list thus far looks like: B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner
Family Traditions- Crystal Palace (B), Chef Mickey's (D), House of Blues (Brunch)
Interesting meals to try- Be Our Guest (D), Kona (D), Cali Grill (D), Sunshine Seasons (L), Coral Reef (L), Teppan Edo (L), Marrakesh (L), Cape May (D), Boma (B), Jiko (D), Sanaa (L), Mama Melrose's (Fantasmic L), ESPN (L), Captain Cooks (Tonga Toast), Tusker House (B), WGP (L), Columbia Harbor House or Fulton's (L or D). Oh and the Fork and Spoon eat int theater and the Art of Animation food court for the ice cream bc it looks awesome!!!
I saw the jerk chicken on the F&W menu and they sounded really really good!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #2323
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

some news that we might be able to use

At GF the have installed a LCD screen that has the bus schedule and gives the ETA of the next 2 buses, this is something I hope they do at all the stations

Also I see that Fantasyland is currently open to visitors as a soft opening, and it can open & close at any time unannounced, All I have to say if it's open when I'm there you know I'll be visiting

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #2324
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
So true, for example LeCellier, I like it there we will be doing a lunch there in Nov, but as a signature I would not waste the 2 credits on a dinner and after Jan the lunch also will be 2 credits, most likely I will not be back, I feel it is over priced and you could do much better gaining to 2, 1 TS credits at other restaurants, even if I was paying out of pocket I would probably choose somewhere like Shula's over LeCellier for a couple bucks more, but for me the most important factor is not to be rushed, and I will say at a lot of restaurants they move you along, if you have the 1st seating dinner should take a while to get to the table, not in 20mins from when you order, if it gets there that quick then they are precooking orders, I do like Teppen Edo where they cook it in front of you, you know it's cooked to order and it's fun watching the little show the chef's put on while cooking
I liked Teppan Edo, but we have a Japanese restaurant down the road that is just as good and a lot cheaper, so we usually skip it at Disney. I agree about LC, it was a shame when they changed it. We do like Hollywood Brown Derby, but that is just because we don't like anything else at DHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
Oooohhh you all are making me hungry. I am looking forward to hunny and I's vaycay because we are real foodies. Without the kids especially we will be able to cover much more ground.
Our list thus far looks like: B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner
Family Traditions- Crystal Palace (B), Chef Mickey's (D), House of Blues (Brunch)
Interesting meals to try- Be Our Guest (D), Kona (D), Cali Grill (D), Sunshine Seasons (L), Coral Reef (L), Teppan Edo (L), Marrakesh (L), Cape May (D), Boma (B), Jiko (D), Sanaa (L), Mama Melrose's (Fantasmic L), ESPN (L), Captain Cooks (Tonga Toast), Tusker House (B), WGP (L), Columbia Harbor House or Fulton's (L or D). Oh and the Fork and Spoon eat int theater and the Art of Animation food court for the ice cream bc it looks awesome!!!
I saw the jerk chicken on the F&W menu and they sounded really really good!
Never tried House of Blues, but we difinitely will. I think we are waiting for th next time we stay at DTD, because this commando hates to lose Disney magic time to Disney transportation time. Looking forward to BOG as well, but won't try Marrakesh and won't return to Sanaa because that is the only style of food I really don't like. Fulton's is my favorite on that list.

Quote:
some news that we might be able to use

At GF the have installed a LCD screen that has the bus schedule and gives the ETA of the next 2 buses, this is something I hope they do at all the stations

Also I see that Fantasyland is currently open to visitors as a soft opening, and it can open & close at any time unannounced, All I have to say if it's open when I'm there you know I'll be visiting
Yes, we saw them. We did that on the first day after breakfast at Park Fare. I liked the tv screens, but they also had 2 CMs outside directing GF patrons. I figured that the CMs for the wealthy people who stay at GF who have never taken a bus and don't know how to read the signs.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #2325
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Bored and was just thinking wouldn't it be cool if WDW had something like the Amazing race type contest, We would have to get a team up for that, since we should technically be the favorites

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: