Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Never Say Never PTR..back less than 2 months (upd. 9/28 post 20 new itinerary)

Okay...so, I am still in the middle of our trip report from May 1 - May 8 2010 when what to my wondering eyes should appear but the monster pin!!

We left our trip in May discouraged (thanks to in laws) and decided we need a break from Disney and we wouldn't go back until 2012. After I got the Pin, I decided it would be fun to see Disney in December. We have always wanted to go during the Christmas season, and lets face it, the little ones don't stay little for long. Plus, we had a week of timeshare already banked with Interval International. I started talking to my DH and we both agreed that if it was just the 4 of us and we got a rental car we would go. We wanted to go for longer than a week since we want to do Universal. We haven't been there in over 5 years and our children have never been. My DD7 is a huge Dr. Seuss fan and my DS2 is a huge Barney fan. My DH even told me they do special Christmas things there. I'm so pumped!!

So....I book 3 night at the ASMo. Having gotten used to the large accommodations at timeshares we aren't big hotel room people. Just feels too crowded. But, I make that the beginning of our vacation knowing we will be moving to a 2 BR timeshare later. Plus, I get the hotel for $58 a night. Since parking is free we will save the $14 a day and it will be like getting the hotel for $34. I can justify anything.

I look on the Interval website and choose the Marriott Harbour Lake. This place looks AMAZING. We have only stayed at Westgate Vacation Villas so are really excited about this.

Now...on to the airfare....We have exclusively flown Southwest up until this point. However, our flights were $150 EACH WAY!!!! I looked at Airtran and saw they were $99 each way, non stop so I took the chance and booked. Even with the seat assignments and baggage fees it is way cheaper. I hope I won't regret this.

Through my work we get discounts with ADP so I searched and was able to get National Emerald Aisle car rental for $250 for the entire time!

I have not gotten park tickets yet but we will be going to MVMCP.

We are not going to do many TS ressies this time as they were just a nightmare with my son the last trip. We will be celebrating both children's bdays. My DD7 will actually turn 8 a week before our trip and my DS will turn 3, 2 weeks after our trip. Her choice was Akershus so I was able to book that. My DH wants to eat at Garden Grill as we had to cancel that last time thanks to the wonderful in-laws. Anyway, I keep trying and nothing is available all week!!!

So...in summary...

Hotel...........check - ASMo.
Timeshare.....check - Marriott Harbour Lake
Rental car.....check - National
Airfare..........check - AirTran
Ressies.........1/2 check - Akershus Princess Breakfast
Park tickets.....Need to get...Not any more. Switched to a package so we could get free QSDP.
The best part....the whole thing (including park tickets Disney,MVMCP, Universal, Sea World once I get them) was only $2500. We still have to pay food but we left in such a haste our last trip we still have all of our Disney gift cards and $100 left on a Disney Rewards card.

Ohh...I almost forgot, the cast.

Me...DW 39 (turning 40 in a few months)
DH...37
DD...7
DS...2

I better get over to my Trip Report and finish that one soon before I get too confused.

If anyone has any tips about December please share. We have only gone in May or October up until this point. (and once in August that I would like to forget).

I am just so excited I had to share and I knew people here would understand. My family literally said, "Why...you are crazy!"
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld

Last edited by ccgirl; 09-28-2010 at 08:58 AM.
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Already changing plans....

So....free dining was released. Although most of my dates fall in the blackout, the first night does not. I wasn't going to get it because I thought using the 40% off Pin and paying for food OOP would be cheaper. Well...I crunched the numbers and there was only $140 difference (including paying full rack rate and purchasing full rate tickets). I was sure we would spend more than that on food/snacks/drinks so I called Disney and switched to a package. The CM was very nice but wasn't the most educated. He actually told me free dining was only until September. I told him it had been extended and he asked me for the code. Of course, I knew it but I thought it was just funny. Anyway...he switched me, add the park tix, and took my request for ground floor in the Dalmation Building and bed rails. Yeah...not I don't have to worry about food/drink for the first 4 days. We are actually going off site after ASMo but we will still be in the parks. So, I switched my itinerary around. We were originally going to do SeaWOrld on day 4 but since we will still have food/snack credits we can use until midnight we will be staying at one of the Disney parks that day. Anyway....here is a picture of my children from our trip in May. I thought it was appropriate since the shirts were "We're on our way to Disney" and...well...we're on our way ...AGAIN..... Apparently, this makes us "crazy" - to our familes anyway.

I'm still in the middle of it but, Trip report can be found here.....
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
DisneyTiger
Life is what happens between trips to Disney World

Yay!!!!!!! We can PTR together!!!!! I am so excited about planning the Dec trip. I have things to post on my PTR that we are doing so you'll have to check it out. I just need to sit down and post! This is gonna be fun
DisneyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Sorry double post!

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Sorry double post!
Boy...you must really want to hear all about my trip.

I plan to update both this PTR and my TR that I am in the middle of this weekend. Stay tuned for lots of updates.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Itinerary

Okay...so I think I have "finalized" my itinerary.

Thursday, December 2nd
leave BOS at 12:00 and get to MCO at 3:30pm
Pick up rental car at Enterprise or National.

Check in to ASMo. Free QSDP.

Thursday night I would like to see Fantasmic. It is playing at 6:30. I am thinking we can grab a CS at HS and just eat it waiting in line.

Friday, December 3rd
Epcot (Evening EMH)
10:35am Akershus Princess Storybook Breakfast (DD will dress as Belle). Pay OOP.

Disney Visa Meet&Greet. Every time we go I say we will do this but we never do. Maybe if I have it on my itinerary we will???

CS lunch at Sunshine Seasons

Pick a Pearl in Japan. Wanted to do this during out May trip but missed out. CS dinner at Japan.

Tried to get Garden Grill ressies but no such luck. Had to cancel our ressie in May.

Snacks at Boulangerie Patisserie and Norway.

Watch Illuminations

Stay for EMH.

Saturday, Dec 4th

9:50am breakfast at 'Ohanas. Pay OOP.

Resort hop to see the decorations. CS at one of the resorts.

DTD - CS dinner at Wolfgang Puck's. Have always wanted to try this place.

Sunday, Dec 5th
Check out of ASMo and check in to Marriott's Harbour Lake
HS (Evening EMH)

Osborne Lights.

The only meal I have "planned" this day is CS meal at Starring Rolls.

Monday, Dec 6th
Magic Kingdom (Evening Magic Hours)
Go to MK as we wake up...breakfast at timeshare.

We will bring sandwiches for lunch.

3:20pm ressies at Garden View Tea Room for just my DD and myself for her 8th birthday. We are both really excited about this.

Dinner at Cosmic Rays - because my son and I can split a meal here.

Tuesday, Dec 7th
Universal Studios

Their schedule isn't out yet but I would like to do the Grinch that stole Christmas and Barney.

Wednesday, December 8th
Animal Kingdom (Evening EMH).

10:05 am Tusker House breakfast for my DS's 3rd birthday.

Get to the Conservation Station which we missed in May. Do the Pangani Forest which we missed in May.

Bring lunch/dinner sandwiches from timeshare.

Thursday, December 9th
Relax at timeshare
Swim at pool if it's warm enough.

4:00pm get to MVMCP

Friday, December 10th
Universal again.

Saturday, December 11th
SeaWorld (open 9am - 11pm)

See the Christmas shows. I think we will get the Meal Plan here since we will be there all day.

Sunday, December 12th.
Check out of our timeshare.

Get to airport by 9:30am to return rental car.

Plane leaves at 12pm.

Home around 3:30pm.

Some maybe's....
We MAY try to venture to MK on Saturday, Dec 4th to see just how crowded it is for the taping of the parade.

If we get done with AK "early" on Wed, Dec 8th we may just go back to Epcot to see the countries and Holidays Around the World. If we did enough on Friday we don't have to worry about going back.

I think that should do it. Sounds like so much fun. We haven't had a vacation to WDW just the 4 of us in a long time. Every time we go it seems someone wants to tag along. I think we will be able to get a lot done.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Jumped over from your TR - how great that you are going again. Would love to do that someday.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
TyRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

Signing on... Hubby and I are leaving the kids home and hitting the World Nov. 28th to Dec. 7th... I am turning 30 on Dec. 1st...

Looks like the 2nd, 3rd and 6th we are at the same parks for at least part of the day...

I just read through your TR from May and I have to say, I am so thankful that my MIL will not fly and FIL will not drive her to Orlando from Oregon!!!
oregonmommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Discovery Cove???

So...now that our intinerary is done I may be moving it around. My DD has dreamed of swimming with Dolphins. Since Discovery Cove also includes a visit to Sea World (which we were doing anyway) I think I am going to add this. However, my DH does not want to do commando and wants some down time so I am thinking of combining AK and HS. But...then we need to add park hoppers. We could also take one of our Universal days away but I'm not sure if we could do both parks in one day. We haven't been there in years! I might also do the birthday package at Discovery Cove. For $89 a dolphin will swim over with a personalized buoy saying Happy Birthday and she also gets a tshirt, photo, and photo frame. We currently have one full day of downtime (Saturday the 4th) plus the whole day until 4pm when we go to MVMCP (currently on 12/9). I wanted to wait until November to book the Dolphin swim so I knew the weather and which day to pick but wasn't sure if it would be sold out by then.

Help!!!!

Anyone have any experience with this?
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I am here. Now I am going back to read.

pooh'smate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Shucks! We won't be at WDW at the same time at all! Oh well, at least you get to redeem your cruddy trip!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Shucks! We won't be at WDW at the same time at all! Oh well, at least you get to redeem your cruddy trip!
At least we'll both be at WDW. Can't wait to see all of the Christmas stuff. Very excited to redeem the not so great trip.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Changed Itinerary AGAIN....

Okay...so I added a couple of things and needed to change my itinerary around.

Thursday, Dec 2nd we arrive at 2:30. I figured that should give us plenty of time to get the rental car, check in to ASMo, eat a quick dinner then head to HS for Fantasmic.

Fri, December 3rd is staying as an Epcot day. I have to remember to do the pick a pearl here!
We have a 10:30 ressie for the Akershus Princess breakfast.

Saturday, Dec 4th has changed a bit.
We still have it "open" to visit the resorts and DTD but now I have to add in a Richard Perry Ride Along for my DH. I got that as a surprise Christmas present for him...thanks budget board it was was only $58.
We also have a 10am reservation for Ohana at breakfast.

Sunday, Dec 5th
This day is now both AK in the morning and HS in the evening. They have EMH. Somehow we have to check in to the timeshare as well and maybe do a little food shopping??

Monday, Dec 6th
This is still a full day at MK with the Garden View Tea for just DD and myself at 3:20pm.

Tuesday, Dec 7th
This stays as a Universal day - want to catch the Macy's Parade and Grinchmas. My DS2 is in love with Barney.

Wed, December 8th
This day is now Discovery Cove rather than Animal Kingdom. Again, thanks to the Budget Board!!!! The Dolphin Swim was only $149 and non dolphin swim (me) was $49 plus it includes 14 days admission to Sea World. Too bad we only need one. Still an incredible price. I might do the birthday package here and have a dolphin swim to my DD with a personalized Happy Birthday buoy. Plus, she gets a t shirt, photo frame and photo. But...it's $89 so I'm not sure it's in the budget.

Thur, Dec 9th
Morning free then MVMCP at 4pm.

Friday, Dec 10th
This is another Universal day

Saturday, Dec 11th is a full day at Sea World. They are open until 11pm. We want to catch the special Christmas stuff they do here. Does anyone have any details about this?

Sunday, Dec 12th we sadly leave at 8am.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld

Last edited by ccgirl; 08-17-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
pigletforever
DIS Veteran

After your last trip you deserve this do over.

1994 off site (WDW), 1996 Contemp (WDW),
2006 AKL CL (WDW), 2009 OCTOBER 21-25 Sheraton Anaheim (DLR), 2010 Jan 4 -9 Holiday Inn and Suites (DLR)
Dec2010/Jan 2011WL (WDW), November 16,2013 Wonder, November 23, 2014 Magic
pigletforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: