Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Ultimate Budget Trip Day 6 ~ monorail shopping, exploring Kissimmee, scary gift shops

Welcome back to those who followed my PTR ( Ultimate budget trip PTR ) and Welcome Aboard to those who are just joining!

The day we thought would never arrive finally came...May 15, 2010, a.k.a. leaving day, a.k.a. the day we had waited 3 long years for!

Cast:
Me (Stacy/Mom) ~ collector of all things Disney and just a teensy bit obsessed with WDW
Nicole ~ 17, super smart, has been collecting items from Beauty and the Beast since she was very little
Chelsea ~ 15, loves the thrill rides and classic Alice in Wonderland items
Paige ~ 12, still loves her princesses and Peter Pan but steers herself toward the more "grown-up" stuff now
Amanda ~ 11, obsessed with Stitch, seriously, seriously obsessed ~ also happens to be autistic but fairly high functioning and tries her best to go with the flow even if she is uncomfortable

Day 1 ~ hitting the road!

Ok, does anyone NOT wake up super excited on the day they leave for Disney? I think not!
However, we were dragging a bit this morning due to my oldest DD having been out till all hours the night before (it was prom night and she's a good girl, so that's OK ).

The plan was to be on the road by 8-8:30 ~ nope, not happening, LOL. We did manage to be done filling up the car and on the freeway by 9:30, which I was satisfied with, considering we were all running on so little sleep.

I told everyone to eat breakfast before we got in the car, but my girls aren't big morning eaters so we ended up nibbling on crackers, sausage and cheese that we had packed in the cooler after we were on the road for a bit. One of my big goals this trip was to spend as little out of pocket as possible once we were on vacation. I haven't tallied everything up yet, but I know we didn't spend anywhere near what we did on past trips ~ yay!!

The first day of the road trip was mainly uneventful for the first several hours. My apologies to any Ohioans reading, but Ohio is just so darn boring to drive through on 75, LOL. It seems to take forever and this is always the state where everyone gets antsy. Luckily we had beautiful weather through Ohio and made it through with only one stop, I believe. At some point in OH, we dug out the sandwiches I had made for lunch ~ chicken salad on those little sandwich rounds (inspired by RachelNinja's TR!) ~ so yummy! About mid-way through OH, we caught up with my sister and her family and it was really nice knowing that they were along for the trip! We've done every WDW trip with them so far, so it's sort of just tradition now and I love that all of our kids are going to have those memories when they are older.

One of my favorite parts of the road trip is hitting that KY/OH border along 75. That is when you start getting into the pretty mountain scenery and I just love the mountains. I was in my glory and again we had clear blue skies through KY and minimal stopping.

Of course the gorgeous scenery carries over into TN, but this is the part of day I started to get nervous because the severe weather started kicking up. For as long as I can remember, I have had an awful fear of thunderstorms. Honestly, it can get to the point where I can't function because I am so shaky and nauseous ~ it's ridiculous and I have no control over it. Luckily I had come prepared with some anti-anxiety pills (I only take a 1/2 dose when driving, because a full dose can make me a bit drowsy). It didn't take it completely away but I swear when those black clouds rolled in and the rain was hitting the windshield so hard that it sounded like hail, I was ready say the heck with it and get off the road completely and I would have been useless without those wonderful little orange pills.

With me being able to calm down a bit, we made it to an exit where there was a McDonald's with WiFi (Sweetwater, TN) so we pulled off. We got all the kids a quick bite to eat (this wasn't actually part of my budget but the girls and I just got something off the $1 menu so not a big dent) and I was able to pull up the radar on the laptop. Of course, my phobia is a bit of a running joke in my family, so they were all teasing me but I felt a lot better when I saw that we were almost through the worst of it.

By this time, we were almost to the GA border. My sister and I had booked rooms at the HoJo in Cartersville, GA for on the way down and back. It was after dark by the time we reached the HoJo and the GPS was a bit confused by its location. I took the road it told me and we were on a dark curve in front of a truck stop when it said, "You have reached your destination". The girls and I all looked at each like, are you kidding me?? I went a bit further around the curve and saw the entrance and for a brief minute, we were all relieved...until we pulled up the drive. Holy cow, right next to the entrance was a full-on bar with people all over outside drinking it up and partying! Now, lots of hotels have a lounge, bar, whatever, especially on the tourist routes ~ no big deal, not usually something to be scared of. This was not that kind of bar! The description on the website for amenities says:

"Property amenities include seasonal outdoor swimming pool, free high speed wireless internet, and the Sports Pub and Grill on site - serving lunch and dinner."

Sounds harmless enough...don't be fooled, LOL!! We had to walk right past all of them to get into the lobby...not fun times, let me tell you. The manager at the desk was friendly enough but the trouble started right off the bat. We got upstairs to our rooms and my sister's key wouldn't work. One of the HoJo people came out and tried it as well, no luck, that room was not opening. They got her a new room pretty quickly...too quickly, we came to discover! My room was clean and comfortable enough for one night and my girls and I were down for the night after a short time.
The next morning, the texts from my poor sister start coming in ~ it was not pretty, and she made that clear to the morning manager when we went down to the lobby for breakfast the next morning.

Up next:

We escape from HoJo and finally make it to FL!!
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After

Last edited by stacy347; 07-30-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
akayek31
DIS Veteran

Hi coming over from your Pretrip. I work in Cartersville, Ga! I looked up HoJo to see where it was. Next time stay at any hotel on exit 290. Those hotels off the exit you stayed at are scary. My son use to work at the McDonald's on that exit and it is mostly truck drivers over there. I wish I had known before you left I could have saved some trauma

1985-Day trip, 7/08-offsite, 5/09 Pop Century, 2/11-Pop Century,9/11-Pop Century, 2/12-Pop Century, 10/12-Pop Century, 2/13-Pop Century, 2/14-Pop Century, 10/14-Pop Century

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Bookmarking the TR and letting you know I'm here! I didn't have a chance to read yet though ... still trying to grade this mountain of book reports by tomorrow!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Subbing. I can't wait to hear about your trip on a budget. If and when my family ever gets there, that will be the way we go.

Just went back to read your PTR. Can't wait to see how your plans for saving money went.

Last edited by Mommy2BnB; 05-31-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
ksumn1
DIS Veteran

Can"t wait to read more, especially your budget tips and tricks. A house fire and finances have caused us to push back our trip, so any ways to save $$ make me

June 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayek31 View Post
Hi coming over from your Pretrip. I work in Cartersville, Ga! I looked up HoJo to see where it was. Next time stay at any hotel on exit 290. Those hotels off the exit you stayed at are scary. My son use to work at the McDonald's on that exit and it is mostly truck drivers over there. I wish I had known before you left I could have saved some trauma
Thank you! I was definitely kicking myself for not asking on the Dis about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Bookmarking the TR and letting you know I'm here! I didn't have a chance to read yet though ... still trying to grade this mountain of book reports by tomorrow!
Hi! I can't even imagine how busy you must be right now with the end of school approaching...see ya soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Subbing. I can't wait to hear about your trip on a budget. If and when my family ever gets there, that will be the way we go.

Just went back to read your PTR. Can't wait to see how your plans for saving money went.
Welcome! I was really surprised at how much fun we had on such a smaller budget than before. My sister and I both agreed that this was the best trip so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksumn1 View Post
Can"t wait to read more, especially your budget tips and tricks. A house fire and finances have caused us to push back our trip, so any ways to save $$ make me
I'm so sorry to hear about your fire. Welcome aboard and I'll try to remember all the details about the budget and savings. I tried to save every receipt to keep my memory fresh so that should help.

I'm going to try to get day two typed up after I get all my girls off to school this morning.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
lynnlee
Earning My Ears

Looking forward to hearing more:
Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
RachelNinja

WOOHOO! Book reports done, report card grades done, student profiles done ... I'm here! So happy that I can catch up now.

We never get out on the road at the right time so we aim for a half hour before we actually want to be in the car. That seems to work for everyone even though we also know it's half an hour earlier! Haha, whatever gets us going, right? There are always going to be last minute things to do; thankfully, that's the one benefit of driving! No rush to get to the airport!

Yay for the shoutout! Haha, that really excited me. Those sandwich rounds probably held up better with the chicken salad than regular white bread or something. Plus, they're healthier! I have already decided that when Weird and I are married, we're always going to have the huge Costco pack in the freezer!

Dollar menus make life so much easier!

I hope the morning manager did something about your sister's terrible HoJo experience!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnlee View Post
Looking forward to hearing more:
Thank you ~ I'm trying to get it typed up but the end of the school year is so busy here, I haven't had a free minute till this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
WOOHOO! Book reports done, report card grades done, student profiles done ... I'm here! So happy that I can catch up now.

We never get out on the road at the right time so we aim for a half hour before we actually want to be in the car. That seems to work for everyone even though we also know it's half an hour earlier! Haha, whatever gets us going, right? There are always going to be last minute things to do; thankfully, that's the one benefit of driving! No rush to get to the airport!

Yay for the shoutout! Haha, that really excited me. Those sandwich rounds probably held up better with the chicken salad than regular white bread or something. Plus, they're healthier! I have already decided that when Weird and I are married, we're always going to have the huge Costco pack in the freezer!

Dollar menus make life so much easier!

I hope the morning manager did something about your sister's terrible HoJo experience!
Rachel, I have to do the same thing in regards to the timeline getting on the road. I tell people 9:00 and they just expect me at 9:30, LOL!
And, I loved those sandwich rounds ~ thank you so much for the idea!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Day 2 ~ We escape from HoJo and finally make it to FL!

Sunday morning we got up pretty early to get ready and go down to the lobby for breakfast. The free breakfast was pretty typical of a budget hotel ~ cereal, toast, doughnuts, honey buns, milk, juice, coffee. Nothing fancy, but enough to get the day started.

My sister and I went to speak with the manager on duty about the extremely poor condition of her room. Things didn't go very well as he had no authority to do anything and was not helpful. She mentioned canceling the reservations for our return trip and he said he couldn't do that, it would have to be done online or through the corporate office.

One problem with that is the rooms were booked so cheaply because we did the non-refundable rate, so there was absolutely no way to do it online. The other problem is that we were busy all week and quite frankly, just didn't want to deal with arguing with anyone on vacation. So, we did end up back here the following weekend, which you'll read about at the end.

For the most part, this day on the road was pretty uneventful. We made fairly good time and didn't have to make too many stops.

Some mountain pics:

We made sure when we crossed into FL that we stopped at the Offficial Welcome Center off of 75. We had never done this before and I'm so glad we did! We got the free OJ and grapefruit juice ~ so yummy!! They gave us some free plastic FL bags to gather up brochures and the kids just went crazy with that, LOL! They had a ton of brochures to pick from and you'd have thought those kids won the lottery! We also took advantage of the photo ops here:

Several times on the road we got gas at Pilot stations. I love going in there because generally they have clean restrooms, good fountain pop and friendly people. We all got a free pop here because of a coupon they had on Facebook, which was pretty cool!
One of the Pilot stations that we stopped at was in Ocala, FL and we had gone in to use the restroom. The girls and I all ended up washing our hands at the same time and Chelsea's water kept turning off for some reason. We finally figured out that whenever one of us turned our water on or off, we were also controlling hers, LOL ~ we had a little fun with that for a minute .

Today's lunch was at Taco Bell ~ I was able to feed all 5 of us for about $10 which was awesome! I love the new $2 meal deals!

We did run into a couple more storms this day but nothing too heavy until we were almost to Seralago. When we were about 15 minutes from the resort, it got all black and stormy and I was about to pull off the road again. That caused a big uproar in my car...they were ready to be done with the road trip portion already!! I forced myself to keep driving (in spite of the dang palm trees bending in half right over the car!!) and we finally pulled into Seralago.

I was very happy with our choice right off the bat! The resort looks very welcoming as soon as you pull in and when my sister and I went into the lobby to check in, we were greeted right away and they were really friendly. The lobby here is set up in a cute way that actually has a Disney feel to it. They have a cool Disney pic behind the front desk and Disney cutouts in the lobby for the kids to pose with:

Check-in desk at Seralago

Amanda with Stitch

Bailey with Stitch

In this building they have a general store, arcade, restrooms right off the pool, restaurant, lounge/bar, and ticket / timeshare counters.

Once we were checked in, we went to our rooms to get settled before dinner.

Chelsea at Seralago

After freshening up and deciding on sleeping arrangements, etc., we were ready to head over to the Poly for dinner at 'Ohana ~ yay!

The rain had basically eased up by this point except for a few showers here and there and the evening was just beautiful driving onto WDW property. We had a short wait when we arrived at 'Ohana so we went browsing around (I just love being at the Poly...it is hard not to be happy being surrounded by all that tropical beauty!). I wanted to pick up a small souvenir for my DSis and BIL's anniversary but she kept popping up behind me in the gift shop, so I finally enlisted the kids to keep her occupied for a minute and I found them a really cute WDW magnet which I gave them later with the card I had brought along.

I forgot how much I loved dinner at 'Ohana! I was so disappointed in myself because I got full so quickly and I just wanted to keep eating, LOL! I did manage to stuff in a good portion of that wonderful Bananas Foster bread pudding...wow, is that some good stuff!

Paige and Bailey at 'Ohana, being silly

The smaller kids got up and played the coconut games with the "Cousins" and a good time was had by all.

At one point during the meal, I got our waiter's attention and whispered that we had an anniversary at our table. He smiled and nodded and a short time later came over with a cupcake and candle along with lovely anniversary wishes for DSis and BIL.

Mike and Colleen get a cupcake

This evening MK had closed at 5:00 p.m., so I never thought for a second we'd get a fireworks view, but to our delight, they put on a special showing of Wishes and our table was within perfect viewing range. It was a lovely ending to the meal and our trip just couldn't have gotten off to a better start! We got some pics and just enjoyed the surroundings for a bit longer after dinner and then we went back to get settled for the night in anticipation of going to MK the next day ~ whohoo!

Amanda at the Poly

Colleen and me at Poly

I already typed up a mini-review of Seralago on another thread, so I will just copy and paste that here:

Pros:

~Price we got was awesome
~Pool was sparkling clean and very comfortable temperature (we only used the front pool, so I can't vouch for the one toward the back of the resort)
~Our room was very clean and we had plenty of space for all of our stuff (that is saying something considering we were a group of all females in my room, LOL)
~The staff was very friendly and if we needed anything they were on top of it quickly
~The general store in the lobby is pretty well stocked (which came in handy when DD15 had a reaction to a mosquito bite and I needed some Benadryl at 10:00 p.m.)
~There were Disney touches all over the place (since they are a Disney Good Neighbor Hotel, they use Disney's logos on hotel items, so everything from our Seralago parking pass to our resort info brochures had Disney on it). There were also some Disney cutouts in the lobby which the kids liked getting pics with and they have the Disney Parks info channel with Stacy.
~There was noticeable security throughout the resort which was nice (they were riding around on golf carts checking things out pretty much every time we were outside)
~It was a short, easy drive to the Disney Maingate and I was actually getting a kick out of getting to go through the gate so many times, LOL
~Didn't see a single bug, mouse or rat (tiny lizards, yes of course)

Cons:

~The water pressure definitely needs some adjusting...you can tell when the people behind you are in the shower at the same time you are. Not a huge deal and I know a lot of people have switched to the "low-flow" showerheads anyway, but annoying to me because I have thick hair and need the water pressure to rinse properly. Luckily that only happened to me 2 times all week.
~The outside could use some sprucing up. It doesn't look too bad when you first pull up but once you round the corner past the lobby building, you can tell that the buildings are quite dated. Having said that, everything in our room was modern and up to date ~ it just doesn't make for nice pics right outside the rooms. Not a big deal to us.
~We got annoyed with the shuttle service that Seralago uses. They use Maingate shuttles and in the morning they were pretty much on time to take us to MK and the driver was very nice. However, we were told to be back to our spot by 11:15 p.m. for the last pick up and we got there at 11:14 and the shuttle had already left. It was the last one for the night and we had to take a taxi back ~ not convenient and we put in a complaint about that. Again, annoying, but not a dealbreaker for me ~ we would make to sure to be in the spot at least 10-15 minutes earlier next time to be safe.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

Yay! You made it can't wait to read about the parks now!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Glad the Seralogo is much nicer than the scary HoJo. Getting to see Wishes after your meal sounds wonderful.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
Yay! You made it can't wait to read about the parks now!
Thanks ~ hopefully I can get the MK day typed up in the next few days here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Glad the Seralogo is much nicer than the scary HoJo. Getting to see Wishes after your meal sounds wonderful.
LOL, after that HoJo experience, I was so nervous to try another new hotel! Thank goodness it all worked out. It was really cool seeing Wishes from 'Ohana ~ our meal times had never coincided with it before so this was a first for us!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
RachelNinja

I guess a terrible HoJo experience makes the Disney experience that much better!

Oh cool! I like those pawprint things! Woohoo for the free juice!

Wow, you really did your research for the budget stuff! Free drinks at the Pilot gas stations must've been great! Who wants to spend on drinks for everyone, but at the same time, there are times when you really want it! Free ones are awesome!

Glad your hotel worked out well!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your TR! Can't wait to read more. Sorry about the HOJO!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: