Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Tru
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Anyone doing the Sept/10 Knights and Lights

I am doing the Knights and Lights in Sept. and have not travelled with ABD before. I am concerned about the free time in London and Paris and travelling around these cities by myself. Any ideas?
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Hello Tru

Patti and I did Knights and Lights in May 2010. There was one guy travelling by himself. He quickly made friends in our group of 29 and hung out with several of us. London is fairly easy to travel around in especially on the underground. In your spare time, I would recommend the London Eye, a boat trip on the Thames and St. Pauls in London. In Paris, try a boat trip on the Seine and a trip over to Mont Marte.

Have fun

Richard Harris
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Travelin'Gal
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10

I think you will be fine. There were no singles in our group, but there were on our last ABD trip and they were easily accepted into other groups for various activities.

It seemed like we had more free time in London, which was a very easy city to find one's way around. I was with my family of 4, but went by myself to a museum and several stores and had no problem.

I feel like we had much less little free time in Paris; some of the activities took a bit longer, or the advertised "free afternoon" was from 5 - 7 pm ~ just enough time for my family to nap, shower and get ready for dinner.

I hope you enjoy the trip. It is spectacular, and with many unforgettable stops along the way.
Travelin'Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Tru
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
Hello Tru

Patti and I did Knights and Lights in May 2010. There was one guy travelling by himself. He quickly made friends in our group of 29 and hung out with several of us. London is fairly easy to travel around in especially on the underground. In your spare time, I would recommend the London Eye, a boat trip on the Thames and St. Pauls in London. In Paris, try a boat trip on the Seine and a trip over to Mont Marte.

Have fun

Richard Harris
Thanks for your suggestions. The London Eye is number one on my list. I did a Highlights of Britain tour in 2006 and had only three free hours in London. As I didn't want to miss my bus I skipped doing the "Eye". I really hope to get a chance this time. Did you bike at Versailles? I understand this is the only way to go. Tru
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Tru
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin'Gal View Post
I think you will be fine. There were no singles in our group, but there were on our last ABD trip and they were easily accepted into other groups for various activities.

It seemed like we had more free time in London, which was a very easy city to find one's way around. I was with my family of 4, but went by myself to a museum and several stores and had no problem.

I feel like we had much less little free time in Paris; some of the activities took a bit longer, or the advertised "free afternoon" was from 5 - 7 pm ~ just enough time for my family to nap, shower and get ready for dinner.

I hope you enjoy the trip. It is spectacular, and with many unforgettable stops along the way.
I am really looking forward to the trip. I was in England several years ago and did get to spend some time in London but it was not enough. That is why I have booked this trip. As you said it is an easy city to get around and I can always ask for directions. Now in Paris that might be a little more difficult. I will have to fall back on my high school French - that could prove to be interesting Trudy
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,579
DISboards Moderator

Tru, I'm looking forward to what you have to report back after your trip. I'm seriously considering taking this trip in Sep 2011. I'm wondering what the weather is going to be like...

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
KidDad
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18

Tru: My son and I went on our own to Versailles and rented the bikes and the row boats. It was one of the highlights of the trip. I thought Mary Antoinette's village was more interesting than the Palace (and less crowded), and would recommend getting good travel info to and from. You'll have a great time.
KidDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Tru
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Tru, I'm looking forward to what you have to report back after your trip. I'm seriously considering taking this trip in Sep 2011. I'm wondering what the weather is going to be like...

Sayhello
Hi. I certainly will let you know. This is my First ABD trip but everything I have read in indicates I won't be disappointed. I would love to do the Alaskan trip next. Trudy
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Tru
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDad View Post
Tru: My son and I went on our own to Versailles and rented the bikes and the row boats. It was one of the highlights of the trip. I thought Mary Antoinette's village was more interesting than the Palace (and less crowded), and would recommend getting good travel info to and from. You'll have a great time.
Thanks. I am sure I will have a great time according to anything I have read.
Trudy.
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Hello Trudy

Yes Patti and I rode the bikes around the lake at Versailles. It is a must - do! The swans on the lake were beautiful. A lot of them had young ones and it was fun to watch them being so protective of them. The palace was beautiful and you have to see the Hall of Mirrors but it is so crowded. Some groups were moving so fast, it was hard to believe that they did anything but take pictures for looking at later. Although it is crowded in the palace, it has to be done because it is amazing. Nothing like that will ever be constructed again. If you go to Mont Marte, do convince a group to go. We had about 15 of our tour group go up there. Navigation in Paris can be a challege. Our guides were helpful in finding our way around. Our guides were Eddie and Francesc - both very helpful and knowledgeable. We were in a all-adult trip so the whole group did a trip up and down the Seine River. A very insightful trip.

Have fun Let us know how the adventure was RDH
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,579
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
Yes Patti and I rode the bikes around the lake at Versailles. It is a must - do! The swans on the lake were beautiful. A lot of them had young ones and it was fun to watch them being so protective of them.
Beachcat, I have wrist & back issues, so it's very difficult for me to use a regular bicycle (I use a recumbant here at home). Would I get the same experience if I walked around the lake vs riding the bikes at Versailles?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

biking around the Versailles lake

ABD had a company deliver the bikes to a location just off of the lake. I don't know if they may have a model which may accomodate you. You could check with your guide.

As far as walking completely around the lake, it is too far to walk and stay on the ABD schedule. You could walk clockwise around the lake to maybe the first branch and then walk back. You would see a good deal of the landscaping and wildlife that way.

As an alternative, golf carts are available also. I have a picture of some of our group riding in a golf cart. That would get you completely around the lake.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,579
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
ABD had a company deliver the bikes to a location just off of the lake. I don't know if they may have a model which may accomodate you. You could check with your guide.

As far as walking completely around the lake, it is too far to walk and stay on the ABD schedule. You could walk clockwise around the lake to maybe the first branch and then walk back. You would see a good deal of the landscaping and wildlife that way.

As an alternative, golf carts are available also. I have a picture of some of our group riding in a golf cart. That would get you completely around the lake.
Cool! Thanks for the info, beachcat. I will definitely get the Guides to check if the company has recumbants available!

I still think I'd rather walk than go in a golf cart, though. But I guess I could wait to make that decision until I see the golf carts! Any chance you could post the picture?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Have a great trip and tell us about it when you get back. RDH
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
LostNWonderLamb
Earning My Ears
 
LostNWonderLamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fullerton, Ca
Posts: 20

student discounts

You can get many student discounts throughout Europe. Including the London Eye , the underground and museums. I was enrolled in a continuation school/ community college, which provided me with a free id. I then went over to STA travel to get my student international id card which was about $25, but it was well worth it. Does not matter how old you are as long as you are enrolled somewhere.
LostNWonderLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.