Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Tinks1984
We're having a mini party!
I couldn't believe how many there was in the bag!

**The Unexpected Engagement - Day 2**

Castmembers

Me - Rachel
DBF (for now! ) - Simon
Dad - Dennis
Mum - Jennifer
DB - Chris

Friday 7th May - Discovery Cove

Now, many of you are probably thinking, why Discovery Cove on day 2? Well, we were there for 16 nights as I mentioned, but only had Disney's Ultimate ticket, which covered us for 14 days - hence, we didn't want to run out of Disney days towards the end of the holiday, so we opted to use our 'spare' day to hit DC

We'd set our alarm clocks very early again as we planned to leave for Discovery Cove for 7am My Mum, Dad and Brother had never done DC before and I was really excited to see what they thought about it. Myself and Simon had done it on our previous trip and loved it, so we had to take them there to experience it

I had a little bit of a shock when my Dad announced I'd be driving to DC this morning Now, I'd never driven anywhere else but in the UK, so terrified didn't even come close So many things to think about, wrong side of the road, wrong side of the car, only two pedals and then just generally getting used to how the American's drive! Needless to say, I was a little nervous, but none the less, got in there!

Well, a little while later we arrived here...

And boy was I relieved to see that sign, it meant we'd survived my driving! We got checked in around 8am and bagged ourselves a 11.00am dolphin swim.

We followed the map and path around to the breakfast area and tucked into a delicious all-you-can-eat morning treat! (Now sorry to all you guys who love to see the food pictures, but sadly, I don't have any, I'm not one for taking photo's of food - sorry!) After brekkie, we headed off down to collect our wetsuits and got ourselves changed.

As my Dad's a bird lover, I took us off to the bird aviary so he could see some of his favourites.

(My brother - Chris)

(Me )

We found the Sun Conure's to be the most friendly, or greedy, as they were forever coming down to land on you and say hello. After the tour around the aviaries, we headed back out and to the stingray lagoon, where they were just out for their morning feed, so they were very active.

By this time, even before the dolphin swim, my Dad was already swept away with how beautiful DC really is. He loved everything about it and plans to return on his next trip.

After lounging around for a while longer in the sunshine, it was time to head over to the Seahorse cabana to get prepared for our swim! We did our pre-swim safety checks and watched the short video before being told that our group would be swimming with the dolphin named Jenny! Now, at this point, I could have cried. In 2008, myself and Simon had swam with Jenny and I couldn't, and neither could the DC trainer, believe that we'd ended up with the same dolphin again this trip, two years later!

Me and Simon

My brother having Jenny drag him back to shore

My Mum giving Jenny - her namesake, a little kiss!

My Dad with Jenny

We had the most amazing swim, and everyone really enjoyed themselves. We sorted our photographs once we were done and then headed for some lunch. I had the salmon, Simon, Chris and my Dad, a massive burger and my Mum had the Cob Salad.

Cont....

Last edited by Tinks1984; 07-04-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Attempting re-size! Not very well...lol
Tinks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Tinks1984

Part two...

We hung around for a while to let our food settle and then headed over to the Tropical Reef to swim with the fish and rays. My Mum is very claustrophobic and I was expecting her not to do this with having to wear the mask and snorkel, but she surprised me and was eventually the one who spent the most time in the pool I truly is amazing swimming in there, the rays and fish are so graceful and aren't bothered at all by your presence in their waters.

We finished off at DC at around 5.30pm and showered and headed back over to the resort. By this time I was literally crying out for a Disney fix and decided we'd head over to Downtown Disney for the evening

We got off the resort bus and headed straight into the Christmas shop were I found these little beauties...

And so I made my first Disney purchase of the holiday This little alien and a Stitch (which I had personalised) were shipped off back to the resort!

We wondered aimlessly around DTD really, but it didn't matter, the look on my family's face was a picture, so I really didn't care. They were back and loving every second. I eventually found the Pin Trading station and was in Pin Trading heaven

I bought myself a couple of pins just to keep myself satisfied before we headed off to the Earl of Sandwich for tea. I decided we'd go here after reading about this place on the Dis. I'd heard many say it was really good - and you guys weren't wrong! Delicious!

After that, we hit the World of Disney and had a good nosey around there, me searching out the Dooney & Burke section, in order to eye up which one I'd like to purchase later in the trip After another long day, we headed back to Sports and crashed out...

Day 3 coming up ASAP - it's time to hit Disney

Last edited by Tinks1984; 07-04-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: I've done it, I've done it! Thanks David!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Tinks1984

PS. As you can see, I'm struggling with resizing photos...anyone any advice? I use Photobucket for uploading and have tried using their re-size, but it doesn't seem to be working!

Sorry Louise...I'll try sort them ASAP!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Another great report Rachel. I've never done Discovery Cove but every time I read about it it sounds great. Congratulations on your first go at driving as well, I remember how nervous I was the first time I drove over there.

As far as resizing photos goes you can get Photobucket to resize automatically as you upload. If you look under the big green Upload button you'll see "Tip: Hold down CommandCTRL to select multiple files." next to that it says "More options". If you click on More Options it will bring up a box that says "Resize my images to" with a number of settings. I use 15" screen (800x600) for my trip reports, which I think should be small enough for everyone. Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help you out.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I hope to do Discovery Cove one day.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks1984 View Post
PS. As you can see, I'm struggling with resizing photos...anyone any advice? I use Photobucket for uploading and have tried using their re-size, but it doesn't seem to be working!

Sorry Louise...I'll try sort them ASAP!
Oh no now I feel bad

you have your pics on Facebook dont you ? why dont you use Facebook as a host to your pics.

If you have a tab open with your facebook picture on and then right click on the picture you will se an option for properties !!
Click on properties and you should see info - triple click on the address (url) and it should highlight the url so you copy it ( right clck choose copy)

Then open the dis tab again - click on the insert image option !
Delete the text in box and then paste the url from your facebook pictures !!

Hey presto no need to change settings and no need to upload all your pics to phtobucket again !!

Hope that all makes sense and im im really sorry - if you strugggle go back to big pictures and Ill stop my moaning

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Tinks1984

Thank-you David

I'll try that for tomorrow's uploads and let you know how I get on!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Tinks1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz for boys View Post
Oh no now I feel bad

you have your pics on Facebook dont you ? why dont you use Facebook as a host to your pics.
If you have a tab open with your facebook picture on and then right click on the picture you will se an option for properties !!
Click on properties and you should see info - triple click on the address (url) and it should highlight the url so you copy it ( right clck choose copy)

Then open the dis tab again - click on the insert image option !
Delete the text in box and then paste the url from your facebook pictures !!

Hey presto no need to change settings and no need to upload all your pics to phtobucket again !!

Hope that all makes sense and im im really sorry - if you strugggle go back to big pictures and Ill stop my moaning
Please don't feel bad Louise, it's good for me to learn tbh!

David's just given me some tips, so I'll be trying them asap

EDIT: I've tried it - are those sizes better Louise? lol:

Last edited by Tinks1984; 07-04-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great first full day Rachel - Discovery Cove is so amazing, it's a lovely day out and so relaxing.

Can't wait to get to the engagement bit
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Tinks1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great first full day Rachel - Discovery Cove is so amazing, it's a lovely day out and so relaxing.

Can't wait to get to the engagement bit
Thanks Joh - not too much longer to wait now, I promise
Old 07-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

what a great day, I really hope I will be able to go to Discovery cove one day

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
PJB71
DIS Veteran

Oh how lovely you got the swim with the same dolphin

Another full day
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a fantastic day!

(Many thanks to David and Louise for resizing photos info - I just couldn't figure out how to resize mine for my trippie last year!)
Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

yay you did it !!!!
I love the alien decorations im gonna have to get myself one of them !!!

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great day, we also love DC, I can't wait until the kids are old enough to swim with Dolphins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: