Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
mootmoot
Mouseketeer

Any geocachers on board? :)

If there are, I can plan to bring some trackables to swap! I'm going to a huge geocaching event tomorrow here in Washington state (Geowoodstock VIII, GC1QM7K) and I'm hoping there will be some Disney geocoins, too!

Mimi
mootmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

I've never done it before- but I think it sounds like a really cool thing to do!
I'm sure you'll find a few in our huge group of Podcast Cruisers.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
MomlvsGoofy
Mouseketeer

Okay I admit it I had no idea what a Geocacher was so I looked it up. Thats a really fun idea!

1987 offsite/1990 offsite/1996 Fort Wilderness/2008 Pop Century/2010 Pop Century/Podcast cruise 2.0 2010
MomlvsGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootmoot View Post
If there are, I can plan to bring some trackables to swap! I'm going to a huge geocaching event tomorrow here in Washington state (Geowoodstock VIII, GC1QM7K) and I'm hoping there will be some Disney geocoins, too!

Mimi
DS scout troop does geocaching.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
mootmoot
Mouseketeer

Geocaching is SO much fun! It's like treasure hunting with your GPS. We love finding interesting places - both at home and when we travel - that we would never have found otherwise. The website is www (dot) geocaching (dot) com

We especially love coming across trackables, which are items or coins with a special code that you log in to track that item's travels. Geocachers pick up and drop off trackables, post pictures of their adventures, etc etc. Many trackables have "missions" that they hope to accomplish, such as "reach the Bahamas" or "go to State parks". We always bring trackables with us when we travel cross-country (we travel a lot between VA - FL - WA) to help the items rack up "mileage".
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

I love geocaching although I am rusty since having kids. Trying to get back into it by caching in parks with the kids, but I'm not good at micros.
Alas I'm not going on the podcast cruise unless we win the lottery.

WDW, Frozen Summer Fun & Diagon Alley! Aug. '14**Ultimate Orlando w/WDW, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14**Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Is there's anything hidden on Castaway Cay? That would be so cool!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
mootmoot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Is there's anything hidden on Castaway Cay? That would be so cool!
BRILLIANT!!! I just looked it up and there IS one!! GCRFBJ "King Billys" Disney Cruise Castaway Cay Cache"

There are lots of travel bugs in it right now, and looks like a pretty active cache! Anyone interested to find it with me is more than welcome to!!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootmoot View Post
BRILLIANT!!! I just looked it up and there IS one!! GCRFBJ "King Billys" Disney Cruise Castaway Cay Cache"

There are lots of travel bugs in it right now, and looks like a pretty active cache! Anyone interested to find it with me is more than welcome to!!

I've heard of this but never done it! I think it would be cool to see what this is all about, would you mind if I tagged along to see what is involved?
DLP Santa Fe - Oct 2000 *DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *Swan and DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *WDW Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village/Bay Lake Towers and DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010* WDW Old Key West - Dec 2011
Becx N Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
HillPete
Secret Simba Fan

We geocache a bit. Our GPS is ancient and unreliable, so that limits our treks. (no iPhone, either. We are so retro!) There is a series of Forrest Gump micros in our area that we have been working on for a while. Very cool!

We'd love to check out the CC cache with you guys!

--Hillary
Old 07-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
aggielawyer
DIS Veteran

It's something I've wanted to check out for a while, but haven't ever made the time to do it. I don't think I ever would have thought about geocaching on vacation, but I think it's a great idea.

BC 2/12 * Pop 2/11 * Pop 9/09 * BC 12/08 * BC 12/99

aggielawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

If we wanted to give this a try on Cataway Cay- tell us what we should do/bring/expect.
Or can we just all hang out together and watch what you do?

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

As long as the fun starts AFTER the CC 5K finishes, consider us in.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
mootmoot
Mouseketeer

Cool! Here is info on the cache that is currently on the island:

This cache is located in the beautiful BAHAMAS! It can be found on Castaway Cay, the small Disney owned island accessable by the Disney cruise ships.

The cache is a small glass bottle that resides inside of a bigger mystery container....Hmmm??? It is located at the far end of the island and can be reached by bike or trolly and some walking. There is a very wide dirt road/trail that leads back to the area of the cache. Along the trail, there are water coolers and restrooms. There are also lots of photo opportunities, especially from the viewpoint of the cache. The vista is gorgeous!

I highly recommend renting a bike. It makes the process much easier and in my opinion FUN. There are bikes availavble for rent for both adults and kids. The adults can even get bikes with babyseats.

Interested? Anyone who is up for renting a bicycle and riding out together is more than welcome to join in. I think it will take about an hour, and I'll try to schedule it after the 5K and other things going on that day. Just leave a note on this thread if interested and I'll put more details together as we get closer.

If there is a more experienced geocacher on board - PLEASE speak up. It sounds like for the view and for the ride, it is worth the trip, but I'd still hate to lead a group of people out there and not find the cache!

DREAM - Bahamas 8/15/12
WONDER - Alaska 7/19/11
WONDER - PCC 2.0 12/12/10

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: