Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
wdwprncess77
Mouseketeer

James - Can you elaborate on the brutal pulmonary function test? I have to go for this on Thursday and would like to be prepared.

Thanks!

wdwprncess77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
jwalker1
Earning My Ears

Jane – It is actually breathing exercises into a tube. They put me in a booth with a tube and the respiratory therapist had a set of exercises that I had to perform. I almost hyperventilated on a couple of them, talk about rough. I did not have to go through the entire tests because it was obvious that it was not necessary. I suspect that you will probably have more test than I did. Do not worry though, it seemed brutal too me, but you might not find it so bad. I was in bad shape that morning before even taking the tests.

Again, nothing too really worry about.

jwalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

Nikki - A potty break as motivation... I like it!

Good for you for getting back up on that wagon. Even a 3-week break doesn't mean that all of your hard work was for nothing. You should have a good base to get going again, which you proved by doing the 40 minute walk.

Since you did the 2.5 miles and that went okay (I'm assuming, you didn't say), then I would go ahead and do the 5 miles. Just don't push it, make sure to listen to your body.

James - Don't worry about being away. We all have those starts and stops where you get pulled away by 'real life' every now and again. Please don't hesitate to come and post here, even if it's just to rant about something random or whine about something crappy that happened to you that day. We are all here for each other. We can give you a pep talk when you need it, or just listen when you need that.

I'm so sorry that you're still having those lung issues, but I am glad that you're finally seeing a doc for help. Hopefully it's something they can get fixed up quickly.

Glad to hear you are back on your training schedule. Hope you're not pushing yourself too hard.

Jane - You're describing me, too! I've skipped out on a meet or two at the last minute, because I couldn't make myself do it. But I did one before the Princess this year, and I'm so glad I did. Not only did I get to meet Katie (K80K) from our team, I met a bunch of great people and really clicked with one. Now we email all the time, and she's letting me stay with her for the W&D in October. Bottom line, if you have the chance, try to make it to a meet.

Oooh, birthday celebrations! If there was ever a good excuse to skip out on training, that's probably it! When's your big day?

We've got a heat wave going today, too. Right now it's 97. The lowest outlook this week is Sunday, with a high of 87. How sad, when everyone looks forward to an almost-90 degree day as "cool."

Katie - I thought you were taking a break from races? Glad the heat wasn't brutal for you.

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #19
nkkilala
DIS Veteran

James and Jane- I too have breathing issues! Since I was little I have had asthma. Worse then than it is now. When I started walk/running 2 years ago I had some major flare ups!

Here is hope! I now have my asthma under control and have a good regime for exercising! I use Advair, steroid inhaler, when it is cold out (that is my trigger). Before EVERY workout I take my Ventolin. I bring the Ventolin with me on my longer walk/runs. I am sure that with a physician's help you both will be able to get a good handle on your lungs!

Happy early birthday Jane!!! When is the special day???
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
wdwprncess77
Mouseketeer

Hi Rebels! Today is the 4th anniversary of my 29th birthday. It's so hot I broke a sweat from the cab to the office door this morning (approx 10 feet).

I did not get to run yesterday and I won't be running today. I'll figure something out for the rest of the week though. Tomorrow I'm going to the dr. for the breathing issue. Thanks, Nikki, for letting us know there's hope in getting it under control. Mine is actually not a really big issue, but I don't want it to become one. I'm a "take care of things immediately" kind of person.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!!!!

wdwprncess77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
jwalker1
Earning My Ears

Hi Rebels, yet another day of high temps.

Jane – Happy Birthday!!! Also, good luck tomorrow with your dr. appointment. I sure wish I was a “take care of things immediately” kind of person. I am more like a “if I wait, it will go away” kind of person. Turns out, that was not a good plan.

Nikki – Thanks for giving me hope. I know my doctor will help me get this under control, but I am still a little discouraged over this whole thing.

Andrea – Thanks for the pep talk. No, I am doing more under training than over training for this marathon. I figured I will work on making sure that I can finish the race. A 6 ½ hour marathon seems reasonable for me at the moment. I am going to take it easy and do the best I can. I am not going to even try to make up for those 4 weeks of missed training.

AFM – Not feeling so great this week, so maybe a 5 mile walk tonight or Thursday night, and the scheduled 6 mile on Saturday. It is supposed to be 6 on Tuesday, 6 on Thursday, and 6 on Saturday.

BTW, on the 12th of June, I competed in my home town 5k and did very well. My first mile was almost the fastest mile I have walked too date, I missed by 2 seconds with a 12:38. The heat was kind of rough that morning, so my pace started slowing. I finished with a time of 40:46. I was hoping for a 30s finish.

Next race for me is the Abe’s Amble 10k in August. Last Thursday I did 5 miles with an average pace of 13:30. I am thinking that this will be a good pace for the race. All my racing buddies will be there so it should be a lot of fun.

Anyway, enough rambling, have a great day everyone!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #22
K80K
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday Jane!

James: If I could walk as fast as you I wouldn't have to run.

Andrea: It was just a 6K. :/ I really am off now till Disneyland though. I promise!
~*Katie*~Half Fanatic #156
Up Next! ~ 9/29 Tower of Terror 10 Miler ~ 10/13 Baltimore Half ~
~*Race Results*~*Race Schedule*~
<3 Disney Fairytale Wedding <3 10/2012 <3
Cruises ~ Disney Dream 2/2011&11/2011 ~ Disney Fantasy 11/2012 ~
K80K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #23
disney_mommy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANE!!!

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #24
LuvCuteBoys
Doing good is not a competition

Happy happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope your breathing issue gets worked out Sounds very frustrating.

This heat is killing me... I went out yesterday to try to do Day 1 of the C25K and managed to do the warmup walk and the first running interval and then I gave up. We had an air quality advisory and since I do this alone, I wasn't willing to risk passing out or getting heat stroke, or whatever.

UGH.

Today was worse and tomorrow doesn't look any better. So irritated, because I WANT to go out and do this, but my better judgment tells me to stay put and keep doing yoga in my ACed apartment! It's supposed to ge better starting Friday. Of course, for me... "better" is a relative term. I'd be quite happy if we had a nice cold spell that dropped us down into the 50s!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
jwalker1
Earning My Ears

Hi Rebels, it is starting to cool down here a little bit. Most of the problem here is, 90 degrees with a heat index of 103. Not even being in the shade helps.

I ended up skipping the 5 mile walk and did some lawn mowing, which seemed like good cross training too me. It was hot, but I hydrated myself pretty well throughout the day and loaded up on some electrolytes before working on the lawn. Plus, I took two puffs off the inhaler. I did make a mistake though. I kind of pushed it a bit too hard to finish quicker and got my breathing in a tizzy. I kind of scared my wife when I entered our house searching for the rescue inhaler. She rushed over with the inhaler and a couple of puffs made it all better. Whew, that was a first for me. I am going to be more careful next time.

I think I am going too try to get my 5 miles in tonight. Being that it is a cutback week, I am going to do a reasonably slow pace and just enjoy putting in the miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80K View Post

James: If I could walk as fast as you I wouldn't have to run.
Katie - LOL!!! Maybe my GPS watch is lying too me!

Have a great day Rebels!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #26
disney_mommy

Jane - How did the doctors appointment go?

James - Congrats on your 5k! And good luck in your "Amble" next month! I'm glad you're training smart and not pushing yourself too hard. Better safe than sorry.

Katie - Enjoy your break! And no sneaking in "only" short races!

LuvCuteBoys - I'm with you on the heat. It's miserable. Have you tried doing walking workouts at home? When I was training for the Princess (and before I bought the treadmill), I sometimes used Leslie Sansone's DVD's. They invlove basically walking in place, with a little kicks, high steps and marching forward and back thrown in. They come in increments, like 2 miles, 3 miles, 5 miles, etc. She usually maintains a 15 pace throughout, though you can go slower if needed. They are fun and came in very handy when I couldn't start walking until late at night, or it was raining outside.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #27
K80K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1 View Post
Katie - LOL!!! Maybe my GPS watch is lying too me!
LOL No, I am just a slow and steady kinda runner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy
Katie - Enjoy your break! And no sneaking in "only" short races!
But...but....

1.8 miles this morning...was heading for 3, but the sun came up on me and it was already 83 with a feels like of 90 so I just fell to pieces. Should have taken water with me.
~*Katie*~Half Fanatic #156
Up Next! ~ 9/29 Tower of Terror 10 Miler ~ 10/13 Baltimore Half ~
~*Race Results*~*Race Schedule*~
<3 Disney Fairytale Wedding <3 10/2012 <3
Cruises ~ Disney Dream 2/2011&11/2011 ~ Disney Fantasy 11/2012 ~
K80K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
disney_mommy

James - I'm so glad you are okay and your asthma didn't get too out of hand, but I also hope you learned you have to take it easy! I bet your wife gave you a talking to when the issue passed. I bet it was scary for both of you. Glad you're okay.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80K View Post
But...but....

Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #30
nkkilala
DIS Veteran

Gave up this mornings walk in the HEAT and HUMIDITY and am staying after work and putting in miles on the treadmill! Makes a long day at work for me but is SOOO much better than being outside!! Looks like all of us are suffering from this Heat Wave!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: