Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #826
ksloane
DIS Veteran
 
ksloane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99 View Post
"do they help keep kids with their parent(s)?"

Not really, with open seating, YOU choose where you want to sit. You should have no problem getting three seats next to each other, although it could be across an aisle. Your eight year old may even want to sit by themselves next to a window. Most people would not want a five year old sitting next to them in the middle seat, and would be glad to move elsewhere.
I've been on a couple flights where the flight attendants were really forceful when "helping" families stay together. I've also been on flights when they make one announcement and if no one got up, it was tough luck to the family. So I think it just depends on the flight attendants and their mood for the day.
__________________
~*Kimberly*~
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #827
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran
 
MAYNARDS99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 578

Remember you can also check in using your phone. I'd rather use the $$ for something fun. BTW Southwest is now offering early boarding in Group A 1 thru 15 for $40 at the gate, regardless of your boarding pass.
__________________

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #828
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99 View Post
"do they help keep kids with their parent(s)?"

Not really, with open seating, YOU choose where you want to sit. You should have no problem getting three seats next to each other, although it could be across an aisle. Your eight year old may even want to sit by themselves next to a window. Most people would not want a five year old sitting next to them in the middle seat, and would be glad to move elsewhere.
This was my thought also.

I guess I should just pay the extra fee.
__________________
Michelle Nick Emma(9) Lillie(7) Bella

Mama Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #829
5boyz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Moose View Post
I would love to buy our tickets for $79, but it's just going to be me with my 5 and 8 year olds. Is there a chance we could separated all over the plane? I could check in 24 hours in advance with no problem, but do they help keep kids with their parent(s)?
You will be fine. Go on 24 hrs before. I do it all the time. All 4 or 6 of us get seats together. We have been assigned B15.....and still got all together. It's easy.
__________________
DH 50 JD ME 50 Caroline DS 32 Jamie DS 28 Brandon DS 25 Stefan DS 23 Patrick DS 18 Jordan DD 15 Natalie
5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #830
Cmbar
DIS Veteran
 
Cmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5boyz View Post
You will be fine. Go on 24 hrs before. I do it all the time. All 4 or 6 of us get seats together. We have been assigned B15.....and still got all together. It's easy.
I don't want to discourage the poster asking if she would be separated from her children, but we just flew to Orlando last week and signed on at 24 hrs. We got B3. The family boarding was 25 deep. We got on at B3,4,5 and could not sit together. Now I will say there definitely was grandparents, uncles and such boarding with families and the agent should not have allowed that. I was ticked. So I learned my lesson that if I want to be guaranteed a seat with three in a row I better pay for the Early bird. It will be 60 well spent. Orlando generally has large family boardings between the A and B section. Just my recent experience to share.
__________________
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992


Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #831
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
I don't want to discourage the poster asking if she would be separated from her children, but we just flew to Orlando last week and signed on at 24 hrs. We got B3. The family boarding was 25 deep. We got on at B3,4,5 and could not sit together. Now I will say there definitely was grandparents, uncles and such boarding with families and the agent should not have allowed that. I was ticked. So I learned my lesson that if I want to be guaranteed a seat with three in a row I better pay for the Early bird. It will be 60 well spent. Orlando generally has large family boardings between the A and B section. Just my recent experience to share.
Thanks, that's what I was worried about. If everyone pays the extra $ for early boarding, who gets the priority?
Maybe we should stick to driving, I don't think it's worth stressing over this for the next 4 months!!
__________________
Michelle Nick Emma(9) Lillie(7) Bella

Mama Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #832
Cmbar
DIS Veteran
 
Cmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Moose View Post
Thanks, that's what I was worried about. If everyone pays the extra $ for early boarding, who gets the priority?
Maybe we should stick to driving, I don't think it's worth stressing over this for the next 4 months!!
Mama Moose I really didn't want to discourage you because every flight I have been on it has been fine even boarding in the B's. Clearly this was a instance that people were abusing the system in the family boarding. The priority of the assignments of the early bird is in order of when you booked your early bird. So if you booked a flight on the first day those flights were available and paid early bird on that day you would be mostly like first in the A section. Does that make sense??
__________________
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992


Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #833
5boyz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
Mama Moose I really didn't want to discourage you because every flight I have been on it has been fine even boarding in the B's. Clearly this was a instance that people were abusing the system in the family boarding. The priority of the assignments of the early bird is in order of when you booked your early bird. So if you booked a flight on the first day those flights were available and paid early bird on that day you would be mostly like first in the A section. Does that make sense??
Like I said it is easy..please dont worry. I have paid only once one way and we got early B's. I wouldnt do it again..not worth it for me. I only did it because we were coming from a cruise and didnt want to have someone TRY to remember to do it for me. It will be fine. I have flown SW tons of times with my kids!
__________________
DH 50 JD ME 50 Caroline DS 32 Jamie DS 28 Brandon DS 25 Stefan DS 23 Patrick DS 18 Jordan DD 15 Natalie
5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #834
Cmbar
DIS Veteran
 
Cmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5boyz View Post
Like I said it is easy..please dont worry. I have paid only once one way and we got early B's. I wouldnt do it again..not worth it for me. I only did it because we were coming from a cruise and didnt want to have someone TRY to remember to do it for me. It will be fine. I have flown SW tons of times with my kids!
I agree it is easy usually! I would have been very mad if I had paid for and gotten the B pass and they let families board prior to my paid B number. I really don't mind families of small children being able to sit together but when people go to Disney they tend to have everyone (aunts grandparents, etc)in that line and the SWA rep should not allow that. We had a bad experience last week because clearly there was only two babies and one child in that line of 25 people. Everyone was groaning. But usually that is not the case.
__________________
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992


Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #835
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran
 
MAYNARDS99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 578

This discussion reminds me of flights I have been on where the kids are seated in coach and Mom and Dad are up in first class!

MamaM - I agree with the other posters, do not stress about where you will be seated. It is very rare that a small family of three would be separated, regardless of your boarding pass number.
__________________

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #836
BeccaG
DIS Veteran
 
BeccaG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,084

My outgoing flight is now available for a great price (under $160 from so cal in June) but my return flight is still high, over $200...anyone booked one way tickets for their outgoing and return flights? I'd love to hear the southwest experts' opinions!
__________________
BeccaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #837
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
My outgoing flight is now available for a great price (under $160 from so cal in June) but my return flight is still high, over $200...anyone booked one way tickets for their outgoing and return flights? I'd love to hear the southwest experts' opinions!
Done it many times as I have flown into/out of separate cities.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #838
Spunky946
DIS Veteran
 
Spunky946's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 848

Does anyone know when they are going to release October?
Spunky946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #839
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,301

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
My outgoing flight is now available for a great price (under $160 from so cal in June) but my return flight is still high, over $200...anyone booked one way tickets for their outgoing and return flights? I'd love to hear the southwest experts' opinions!
Yep do it all the time!
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #840
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! Still thinking over whether or not to fly, $79 is really tempting!!
__________________
Michelle Nick Emma(9) Lillie(7) Bella

Mama Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: