Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #76
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

Oh, and to answer your question....depending on what type lamp yes, I think they could be in the lamp. They can be in the clock radio, too. Threw mine out tonight at the recommendation of my PCO....along with my bedside phone.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #77
*Meagan*
DIS Veteran

ICK my skin is crawling just thinking about this!! ew ew ew ew!

thanks for sharing!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #78
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

tndislvr.... how goes the battle sweetie?

Just checking in to let you know I'm still thinking about you and praying that you're winning the battle against these little "buggers".

Stray strong
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #79
MamaPotts
Mouseketeer

This has me totally freaked out... we're vacationing in a few weeks in a resort that a blogger reported had bed bugs. I have lymphedema in my right leg which always gets aggravated when we travel anyway. I really fear what a few bug bites could do to me.

MamaPotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #80
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
This is what you are looking for. Bed bug poop.

....that is SOOOOO GROSS! However, now I know what to look for when we visit Mystic Dunes in 2 weeks....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #81
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndislvr View Post
....from now on I will carry pesticide with me and treat the mattress upon arrival.....
...what kind of pesticide is recommended??
[....man, I'm starting to feel ITCHY all over...]
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #82
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

My PCO told me RID spray works well to keep them at bay on vacation but there may be something better.

Craigdarroch - thanks for checking on me! The battle ensues. They are not giving up without a fight. They are in my car now and I'm afraid have also migrated to the living room. All this after cleaning, steam cleaning everything, and 4 PCO treatments. Really getting tired. Great diet plan, though. I've lost 10 pounds in two weeks. Not healthy - but I so cannot eat or sleep. I'm trying to keep my chin up but it is hard. Every spot I see I think is a bug. Think I'm going crazy!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #83
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndislvr View Post
My PCO told me RID spray works well to keep them at bay on vacation but there may be something better....
...isn't that the stuff they use for lice?
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #84
Virgderon
DIS Veteran

tndislover, I 'm sorry to hear that your situation is still not resolved.

I know it is small comfort, but you helped many people with this thread. I stayed at the Radisson in Orlando Saturday night. I did a thorough inspection of the bed, put my suitcase up and off the floor, and brought home my clothes in plastic.

I would not have gone that far without this thread. Thanks again.
Virgderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #85
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks, as it does make me feel a little better! Hopefully I have spared others my fate. I learned a hard lesson. But my purpose in starting this thread was to spare others. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #86
kimmar067

...you made ME aware too - THANKS!
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #87
mombg20062009
Earning My Ears

I read your post before going to Disney. My son ended up with a rash with a few welts, but my husband who slept in the same bed did not have a rash. We were thinking maybe it was the sunscreen but now I'm really concerned because I've seen a few more welts. I did check the bed. We were in a refurbished room at POP and we did not see anything on the bed. We've been back from Disney for a week. So, any recommendations? Do you think the exterminators would be able to find any since I'm sure if we did bring them home there are that many of them yet? He does have a lot of allergies so it still could be something totally not related. AFter reading the whole thread, I'm really nervous but not sure if an exterminator could help at this point. Thanks for any advice!
mombg20062009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #88
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombg20062009 View Post
I read your post before going to Disney. My son ended up with a rash with a few welts, but my husband who slept in the same bed did not have a rash. We were thinking maybe it was the sunscreen but now I'm really concerned because I've seen a few more welts. I did check the bed. We were in a refurbished room at POP and we did not see anything on the bed. We've been back from Disney for a week. So, any recommendations? Do you think the exterminators would be able to find any since I'm sure if we did bring them home there are that many of them yet? He does have a lot of allergies so it still could be something totally not related. AFter reading the whole thread, I'm really nervous but not sure if an exterminator could help at this point. Thanks for any advice!
The bugs will most generally bite the exposed areas that are not under the covers (upper chest, neck, arms, etc). They don't live in the sheets but in the surrounding areas of the bed and then come to the bed to feed. When we were bitten all our bites were on shoulders, neck and arms.

If your son only has welts on his legs and he's the only one I would guess it is more likely he has the sun rash that people get on their legs at Disney (do a search for pictures and info) or was maybe bitten by something else while out and about at WDW. Boys tend to get into spots where the adults don't.
IMO I'd watch it a little longer before calling in an exterminator.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014~Princess 13th Birthday Trip Dec. 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #89
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure if there is cause for alarm or not in this case mombg. If you check for images of bedbug bites on google, do they look similar to your son's?
I have a tendency to get hives or a rash from the sun if I stay out in it too long, plus, there are lots of other little harmless creatures in Florida that may be foreign to you and therefore create a reaction when they bite (I remember getting bit by a red ant in World Showcase and I had a welt the size of a silver dollar).

The thing is... I'm sure tndislvr did not post this to create panic or hysteria, but just to make us all aware to be careful and look for signs.

The fact remains, for the most part, I'm sure 98% of the time there is absolutely no cause for living in fear on what is supposed to be your vacation.
Just be diligent in checking when you enter the room. Don't be shy about asking the CM about it before they assign you to a room, a simple "has this particular room had any incidents of bed bugs in the past?" will let them know that you are aware of such things and will most likely be a problem for them if they send you to a room that they know has had a prior problem.
Leave your luggage at the door, enter the room (with full shoes on... no sandals or bare feet), check the bed, bedframe and perimeter for signs.
Once you feel secure about the situation, enter the room and make sure you always keep your suitcases off the floor and don't put your clothes in the dresser drawers.
Then cross your fingers, pray to the anti-bed-bug buddha and take a deep breath and forget about it and go on to have a wonderful vacation

Still thinking about you tndislvr
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #90
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
This is HORRIFYING to me.........

SO sorry to hear this OP! I really feel for you/r family!
Check out bedbugregistry.com
free service that LISTS the hotels/places there were infestations..........though I doubt a hotel would report it, I guess patrons do........
thank you for the site. They even mentioned on one of the national news stations about a week ago that bed bugs are bad now.

We are going for an overnight trip in a few weeks, not so sure I want to go now.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote