Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #211
dtum
DIS Veteran
 
dtum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Atwater, Ohio
Posts: 1,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie131 View Post
Any thoughts? Thank you!
IMHO...can you put it in a ziplock baggy? They like to hide in cracks of dark places so i guess they could go inside the book binding...not really sure. Better to error on side of caution. Not sure that they would actually crawl across a table top. They tend to stick to cracks in places to move around--baseboards, headboards, mattress seems--so I'm not sure they would be walking around out in the open like that.
__________________


Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #212
Bertie131
DIS Veteran
 
Bertie131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 622

Thank you. Maybe that is what I will do. I was also thinking of taking magazines instead and just throwing them away at the hotel. The whole bedbug thing has me a little freaked out. I want to be super cautious. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions on this thread!
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #213
PinkPrincess1908
Earning My Ears
 
PinkPrincess1908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 55

I've been reading this thread over the past 2 days and although thankful for the information I am soooo freaked out and very itchy and my next WDW trip is still over a year away. This may be a crazy question but, I always bring a stuffed animal back, should I attempt to wash the plushie to make sure no eggs have traveled back home with me?
__________________
I fell in love the first time he licked my face
Golf Resort(79,80,81),Contemporary(86,88,89,91),Polynesian(82,84,92,09),

PinkPrincess1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #214
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo
 
miprender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: RI (Home of the Big Blue Bug)
Posts: 4,689

Does the cold kill them too? We are going for a few days in December and I was wondering if I could leave my luggage outside for the night (or a few nights) after we get home if the freezing temps would kill them. Just in case.
__________________
--- DD10 , DS8 , DS5 , DH, me(Michelle)
FBStore: Mi Creations Trip Years: 1996,1997,2001,2006,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
miprender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #215
walkdmc


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 1,526,256 yds from The Haunted Mansion
Posts: 2,318

How to check the mattress?

For folks who check the mattress in their room, how do you do it?

I always peel back the fitted sheet on the corner I sleep on, revealing about 12" of mattress. I've never seen anything. (Knock wood). Now I feel like I should be stripping the bed and lifting the mattress.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #216
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie
 
Minnie Lor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW MO
Posts: 2,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post
For folks who check the mattress in their room, how do you do it?

I always peel back the fitted sheet on the corner I sleep on, revealing about 12" of mattress. I've never seen anything. (Knock wood). Now I feel like I should be stripping the bed and lifting the mattress.
Some where in this thread someone posted the "how". Not sure where or how far back. I know that you should look on the mattress, box spring, head board, and foot board. I bought a little lint roller (the kind with sticky paper) in the travel section at walmart. I plan on rolling that between the edge of the mattress and box spring, over the edge of the mattress, and along the carpet near the foot board and head board.
__________________
Lorie

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #217
katieam1
DIS Veteran
 
katieam1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Verona NY
Posts: 1,683

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post
For folks who check the mattress in their room, how do you do it?

I always peel back the fitted sheet on the corner I sleep on, revealing about 12" of mattress. I've never seen anything. (Knock wood). Now I feel like I should be stripping the bed and lifting the mattress.
I would like to know that too. I did see on a thread not sure if it was this one where it was black around the end of the mattress which helped but what are the other things to do while checking. I also heard someone said to bring a maxi pad and use the sticky side to press on the mattress and if it comes up with blood looking flakes then there are bed bugs. I leave soon and want to make sure we do all we can to make sure this is not a problem we come home with or are plagued by it while we are there.
__________________
My family: DH (Dan 35), Me (Katie 30), dd (Shelby 7), & dd(Madilynne 6) Baby #3 due 8/2/14

katieam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #218
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie
 
Minnie Lor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW MO
Posts: 2,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Does the cold kill them too? We are going for a few days in December and I was wondering if I could leave my luggage outside for the night (or a few nights) after we get home if the freezing temps would kill them. Just in case.
Someone posted that it did. I plan on sticking my shoes in a bag and placing them in a deep freeze when I get home. Overkill - most definitely.
__________________
Lorie

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #219
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie
 
Minnie Lor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW MO
Posts: 2,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPrincess1908 View Post
I've been reading this thread over the past 2 days and although thankful for the information I am soooo freaked out and very itchy and my next WDW trip is still over a year away. This may be a crazy question but, I always bring a stuffed animal back, should I attempt to wash the plushie to make sure no eggs have traveled back home with me?
I think I would stick it in a bag and stick in the freezer for a few days. You probably won't have a problem if there are no signs in the room of bed bugs but it doesn't hurt to be careful.
__________________
Lorie

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #220
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie
 
Minnie Lor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW MO
Posts: 2,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieam1 View Post
I would like to know that too. I did see on a thread not sure if it was this one where it was black around the end of the mattress which helped but what are the other things to do while checking. I also heard someone said to bring a maxi pad and use the sticky side to press on the mattress and if it comes up with blood looking flakes then there are bed bugs. I leave soon and want to make sure we do all we can to make sure this is not a problem we come home with or are plagued by it while we are there.
See my post just above yours.
__________________
Lorie

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #221
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran
 
ShelsGoingToDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPrincess1908 View Post
I've been reading this thread over the past 2 days and although thankful for the information I am soooo freaked out and very itchy and my next WDW trip is still over a year away. This may be a crazy question but, I always bring a stuffed animal back, should I attempt to wash the plushie to make sure no eggs have traveled back home with me?
When we stayed in our bed bug room we had 3 stuffed animals and 2 blankies that are very important to the kids. I washed them in hot water and in the dryer and then I put the 3 stuffed animals in the freezer for a couple weeks to be sure. The kids weren't thrilled with that but would rather have that then throw them out! I was fortunate to never bring the bugs back to my home. In every trip since even though I have seen no sign of the bugs I always wash the stuffed animals and blankies in hot water and dry before they come into the house just in case!
__________________
Shel
Sean Joey Alayne Sam




Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #222
katieam1
DIS Veteran
 
katieam1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Verona NY
Posts: 1,683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
See my post just above yours.
Thank you!! I think the lint roller is a much better way to go than what I was going to use. My husband was not happy with my suggestion.

Thank you again for the idea!!
__________________
My family: DH (Dan 35), Me (Katie 30), dd (Shelby 7), & dd(Madilynne 6) Baby #3 due 8/2/14

katieam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #223
PinkPrincess1908
Earning My Ears
 
PinkPrincess1908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
I think I would stick it in a bag and stick in the freezer for a few days. You probably won't have a problem if there are no signs in the room of bed bugs but it doesn't hurt to be careful.
Thanks
__________________
I fell in love the first time he licked my face
Golf Resort(79,80,81),Contemporary(86,88,89,91),Polynesian(82,84,92,09),

PinkPrincess1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #224
PinkPrincess1908
Earning My Ears
 
PinkPrincess1908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
I think I would stick it in a bag and stick in the freezer for a few days. You probably won't have a problem if there are no signs in the room of bed bugs but it doesn't hurt to be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
When we stayed in our bed bug room we had 3 stuffed animals and 2 blankies that are very important to the kids. I washed them in hot water and in the dryer and then I put the 3 stuffed animals in the freezer for a couple weeks to be sure. The kids weren't thrilled with that but would rather have that then throw them out! I was fortunate to never bring the bugs back to my home. In every trip since even though I have seen no sign of the bugs I always wash the stuffed animals and blankies in hot water and dry before they come into the house just in case!
Thanks so much. I was afraid that was a crazy question but since I hve a serious Pooh & Donald addiction I had to ask.
__________________
I fell in love the first time he licked my face
Golf Resort(79,80,81),Contemporary(86,88,89,91),Polynesian(82,84,92,09),

PinkPrincess1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #225
Mad4Mickey
All SINGLE Firemen have a MARRIED wife at home
Well loved by the Tagliarchy
It makes me wonder who is in charge of the yellow stickers
 
Mad4Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: in the Burbs of Dallas, Texas
Posts: 4,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
This is what you are looking for. Bed bug poop.

ok ewwww but thank you wanted to add I just put a lint roller in my Disney box . I will make sure to roll all 3 beds . BLECH I cant stand the thought of those things bitting my Grandchild

Last edited by Mad4Mickey; 09-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Mad4Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.