Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #196
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Notice how the sign says "Controls Bed Bugs".

They don't want to misrepresent themselves and say "Gets rid of bed bugs"... because it doesn't.
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #197
victory-rc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdarroch View Post
Notice how the sign says "Controls Bed Bugs".

They don't want to misrepresent themselves and say "Gets rid of bed bugs"... because it doesn't.
What are you talking about, READ THE CAN.

Killing bed bugs is not a big thing if you get them early,before they get out of control,these should let you get a jump on things atleast.

NICE ANTENNA TOPPER .... oh thats a dead bug from the drive !!

victory-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #198
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

The reason the store has the sign above it saying "Controls Bed Bugs" is because of the dozens of consumer reviews stating that this product did absolutely nothing to alleviate their bed bug problems.

Put it this way, most of the products on the market have to literally make contact with the bugs to kill them. It does nothing to the bugs that it doesn't physically make contact with and usually doesn't damage the pre-hatched eggs either.

There's certainly nothing wrong with an ounce of prevention, but for anyone who has the misfortune to suffer a large infestation, you pretty much have to get professionals in to take care of the problem.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #199
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

I usually unpack my stuff an put in drawers. Don't think that I'll do that anymore even after wiping with Clorox wipe. Am I safe to hang clothes or is that a risk these days too?

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Minnie Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #200
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

I really have no idea about hanging clothes, I imagine there's always a chance the critters could get into them, but at some point, you have to try not to go overboard with all of the fear.
I plan on hanging a few of my clothing items in the closet, the rest will stay in my suitcase, zipped up at all times.

You can only do so much before it starts to make for a stressful holiday.

My first line of defence is going to be at check in, when I let them know that I do not want to be put in a room that has recently had a BB problem, and once they give me the pass-key, I'll inspect the entire bed, frame, and a few other areas of the room while leaving my luggage outside.

At that point, if I feel it's safe, I'll settle in, use common sense when it comes to my clothes and belongings, and try not to worry about it after that.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #201
Minnie Lor

Good point

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #202
mickeymaniac77
Earning My Ears

Wow, just spend over an hour reading this entire thread. Holy crap! I'm sooo sorry that the OP had to go through such a horrific experience, but thanks for sharing. I had heard bed bugs were on the rise, but did not realize the problem was so nasty. I feel sooo itchy right now!
Annalise 2
and #3 due Oct. 23, 2011

mickeymaniac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #203
dtum
DIS Veteran

If I were going to use the closet, I'd be getting some of those hanging space bags and put everything in them and then hand them up...take this from someone who brought bedbugs back for DW a few years back...you can NEVER be too careful.

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #204
Minnie Lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtum View Post
If I were going to use the closet, I'd be getting some of those hanging space bags and put everything in them and then hand them up...take this from someone who brought bedbugs back for DW a few years back...you can NEVER be too careful.
Dang I wish there was a spray.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #205
victory-rc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
Dang I wish there was a spray.
see post # 195

NICE ANTENNA TOPPER .... oh thats a dead bug from the drive !!

victory-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #206
bmiller0709
Earning My Ears

If you are taking advantage of disney transportation from the airport, will they put your luggage in your room? i would hate to get to the room after my luggage to find that there is an infestation.
bmiller0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #207
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

This may be a weird question, but I am traveling soon and I wondered about bedbugs and books. I always read in bed--with the book laying on the bed and then put it on the bedside table. Do you think that is a problem? I am going to follow all the other precautions that posters have recommended. Thanks!
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #208
SAGE
DIS Veteran

Oldest DS back home from a road trip out west. (Loved BC!!)
DS stayed in very low budget places, so when I told him to leave his stuff on the driveway, he thought I was over doing it..... He didn't see any bed bugs but I'm scared there maybe a few hitch hikers.

I put the clothes in garbage bags - straight into a hot wash. (Hope I don't shrink everything )
What should I do with the suitcase? Actually it's mine & was planning on using this for my trip. Of course there is a sleeping bag that I can't wash.
Throw it out? This bed bug problem is really annoying.
Back to

Thanks!
Aug 09 DCL Eastern, September 09 AKL, May/10 W. Caribbean Princess, Nov /10 SSR, April /11 MR Princess, July /11 Bermuda HAL, Jan /12 E. Caribbean HAL, May/12 W. Mediterranean NCL EPIC
SAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #209
dtum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGE View Post
Oldest DS back home from a road trip out west. (Loved BC!!)
DS stayed in very low budget places, so when I told him to leave his stuff on the driveway, he thought I was over doing it..... He didn't see any bed bugs but I'm scared there maybe a few hitch hikers.

I put the clothes in garbage bags - straight into a hot wash. (Hope I don't shrink everything )
What should I do with the suitcase? Actually it's mine & was planning on using this for my trip. Of course there is a sleeping bag that I can't wash.
Throw it out? This bed bug problem is really annoying.
Back to

Thanks!
Don't be confused about the type of hotel. We brought ours back from a DW resort (definitely not low budget). I sometimes think the higher places have more of a problem with them and the more touristy the area the more chances.

Did you dry your clothes before putting them in a plastic bag? If not, you may get a case of mold/mildew instead of dead bugs.

Sleeping bag---good reason to never use your own sleeping bag or pillow in a hotel. Can you put it in a hot dryer? It's the heat that kills the bugs, not the washing.

Suitcase--about all you can do is vacuum it really well if you are afraid. Let it sit outside in the sun and examine it in the cracks for any signs.

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #210
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie131 View Post
This may be a weird question, but I am traveling soon and I wondered about bedbugs and books. I always read in bed--with the book laying on the bed and then put it on the bedside table. Do you think that is a problem? I am going to follow all the other precautions that posters have recommended. Thanks!
Any thoughts? Thank you!
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote