Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #151
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Electric Umbrella-Lunch

On our Epcot day, I really wanted to go back to Sunshine Seasons but no... I have heard just ok things about the Electric Umbrella so I was very skeptical about going, but it was the only place relatively close that appealed to the cousins.

Fortunately, there were some other options (although not many). I got the turkey and bacon sandwich which was actually pretty good. It had a unique cranberry sauce and the cheese went nicely with the meat. I also preferred to get grapes over fries once again.

2 people got the cheeseburger. Nothing special at all...

Guess who got chicken tenders??? Again!

DM got the "greek salad" which had some olives, cheese, onions, tomatoes, etc. It was the most "exotic" thing on a quite boring menu.

2 people (DD and DU??) got the chicken caesar salad. It wasn't as good as the Sunshine Seasons one but it was again, just another chicken salad.

For dessert, we got a cookie, 4 "fruit cups" (I think it was a bunch of melon and grapes), and 3 strawberry cheesecakes. Ok, this cheesecake was the best thing on the menu. It was delicious and creamy! The flavor was so yummy!

So if you're looking for simple, basic food, you can get it at Electric Umbrella. Otherwise, give it a skip. Or you can stop by for a cheesecake snack!

Electric Umbrella Lunch: 8CS used (21, 38)
OOP cost: $111.53
Running Total OOP cost: $1526.82

Last edited by DLR29; 08-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #152
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

I had written this place off. I didn't really care for the burgers when there are so many other choices in Epcot, but that Greek Salad might just make me go back. It looks really good! Most of the CS salads have chicken on them (yuck). It's nice to see one without it. That salad and cheesecake would make a really good lunch.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #153
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
TruBlu, Min & Bills is not down there but I have recently noted that Fairfax Fries has become Fairfax Fare and now offers BBQ and chicken meals. Me thinks 'someone' has been reading the DIS and taking note of our dissatisfaction with the food in that park.

Slightly Goofy
Thanks! I was mixing it up with Catalina Eddie's - since we've never eaten at either, I can't keep them straight.

We ate at Fairfax Faire right after they switched over. I had the best salad I've ever had at a CS there. The Fairfax Salad (chopped romaine, refried pinto beans, pulled pork, roasted corn and sweet peppers, Monterey Jack and corn tortillas). It was wonderful.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #154
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Good is relative

DLR29, good is relative and at the Studios most anything would be better. I have put Fairfax Fare on my list as something 'new'.

TruBlu, the review of the salad sounds pretty darned good. I might give that one a go.

DLR29, another reason to enjoy Electric Umbrella is that you can get drink refills, at least you were able to last year. I am delighted to see more of the CS doing so. I fear some take advantage of it by bringing back cups from other places though. Stuff like that tends to ruin a good thing sometimes. Great pictures and reviews.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #155
KELLY
DIS Veteran

My plan for DHS is Planet pizza for the kids. But I think I will stop at starring rolls to get something if we end up at HS most of the day.

Thanks again for the very helpful review.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #156
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Yeah, Electric Umbrella isn't fantastic, it's just 'ok'. I had the Greek salad and it was quite nice but it could've done with more cheese and olives etc. Underneath that top layer, it was mainly lettuce.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #157
SlightlyGoofy

Starring Rolls

Starring Rolls is a great way to start the day IMO. I think you can get two bakery things and two drinks for a breakfast CS. I usually go for a lunch and get a sandwich, dessert and drink then. It is a nice place to sit and people watch too.

I hate salads with just a bit of 'stuff' on top and nothing below. Love the Bob Evans chicken, cranberry salad that is loaded all the way to the bottom. Even my salad hating hubby loves it.

BTW, England is my second favorite country. I am a subscriber to British Heritage magazine and will stop in my tracks for an English accent.

Slightly Goofy

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #158
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
I had written this place off. I didn't really care for the burgers when there are so many other choices in Epcot, but that Greek Salad might just make me go back. It looks really good! Most of the CS salads have chicken on them (yuck). It's nice to see one without it. That salad and cheesecake would make a really good lunch.
Oh see I'm the exact opposite! I love chicken on my salads! Too much vegetables is not my thing, but to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
DLR29, good is relative and at the Studios most anything would be better. I have put Fairfax Fare on my list as something 'new'.

TruBlu, the review of the salad sounds pretty darned good. I might give that one a go.

DLR29, another reason to enjoy Electric Umbrella is that you can get drink refills, at least you were able to last year. I am delighted to see more of the CS doing so. I fear some take advantage of it by bringing back cups from other places though. Stuff like that tends to ruin a good thing sometimes. Great pictures and reviews.

Slightly Goofy
Ah...drink refills. We were so full of soda that we didn't even think to refill our drinks. Between the refillable mugs and so many drinks, we weren't really looking for that extra perk. But I understand the appeal so I am also glad that more CS are doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLY View Post
My plan for DHS is Planet pizza for the kids. But I think I will stop at starring rolls to get something if we end up at HS most of the day.

Thanks again for the very helpful review.
Starring Rolls looked really good for snacks. We didn't really check out the sandwiches so I can't really comment on that. I want to hear how you like Starring Rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
Yeah, Electric Umbrella isn't fantastic, it's just 'ok'. I had the Greek salad and it was quite nice but it could've done with more cheese and olives etc. Underneath that top layer, it was mainly lettuce.
This is correct, it was a lot of lettuce. But sometimes that's not so bad on a hot summer day. Overall, I'm not a big fan of olives except for regular black olives.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #159
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Not a fan of electric Umbrella here. It was good when they used to do breakfast but now it's just a plain old Counter Service with few (if any) decent options. Now Starring Rolls, on the other hand
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #160
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

Slightly Goofy, I just saw your dates. We think of ASSp as our second home too, we check out the day you arrive.

I agree Electric Umbrella... not bad, but not worth it either.
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #161
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Lotus Blossum Cafe

For dinner, I was NOT gonna have more burgers and fries! So we compromised and went to the Lotus Blossum Cafe regardless of the negative things I've heard of the place. 7 of us got the Orange chicken. Being 1/2 Chinese, I know what Chinese food is. This chicken was good but it was not legit Chinese food. More along the lines of Panda Express (which I have to say I love! )...good but not authentic.

DM got the Oriental salad. The chicken was the same chicken but it had a different sauce. The salad was actually pretty good but again, very "American" version of Chinese food. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

For dessert we all got the strawberry-red bean ice cream. To be honest, you could not really taste the red bean part. It was so delicious I forgot to take a pic before it was all gone! And they gave us a decent portion of it too! mmmmmmm

In the end, if you're looking for true Chinese food, you're not gonna find it here. But the food is tasty and is not too exotic for those picky eaters!

Lotus Blossum Dinner- 8CS used (13, 38)
OOP cost: $116.25
Running total OOP cost: $1643.07

We also (earlier) went over to France to the Pasterrie to pick up some new items for breakfast the next morning. We used 9 snacks to get:
-4 raisin swirls (delicious, way better than I thought it would be!)

-2 apple turnovers

-2 Ham and cheese croissants
-1 Elephant Ear (Palmiers)

So the...
Boulangerie Pasterrie Breakfast- 9S used (13, 29)
OOP cost: $33.18
Running Total OOP cost: 1676.25

Last edited by DLR29; 08-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #162
SlightlyGoofy

Ham and Cheese

You were able to get the ham and cheese croissants for a snack credit? I had heard that was no longer an option and was so sad. I think you used to be able to get the quiches as well. I loved the year that anything under $4 was a snack. Seemed simple even though some things were marked up a tad bit to not be included.

Yours is one of the very best reviews I have read and I have read many.

Slightly Goofy

Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #163
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

I could be wrong, but that oriental salad looks an awful lot like the orange chicken.

Regarding the "americanized" Chinese food, this has always been the way of Epcot. Although it is an opportunity to introduce people to authentic cuisine, the american palate is probably not ready for "real" Chinese food. (Stinky tofu anyone?).

Still really enjoying your report. Keep up the good work.

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #164
disneynan
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Aurora's Mommy;37707165]I could be wrong, but that oriental salad looks an awful lot like the orange chicken.

I had the same thought.

Loving this review though. We're going in Nov on the QS plan. I'm actually really excited about using QS instead of TS as we have in the past. No worries about reservations and not spending hours dining.

Thanks for the reviews to many places that we would not have thought to try.

4/78 camping off-site; 6/89 honeymoon Big Red Boat + Hilton; 5/95 ASMu; 11/99 ASMo + CB; 2/03 ASMo; 11/03 POR + Wilderness Cabins; 9/04 POP(no kids); 8/05 POP (free dining); 10/06 POP (free dining + MNSSHP); 8/08 camping at Ft Wilderness; 11/09 3 night Wonder (no kids); 8/11 POP (free dining); NASN conference 6/13
disneynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #165
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

We have considered the flexibility the QSDP offers. This trip we have the DDP, but the QSDP would be just fine with us. I was going to say you didn't even have a hamburger on your trip, but then I came across the Electric Umbrella meal. The impression I have when one mentions QSDP, people think hamburgers and chicken nuggets the whole trip. That is not the case, as you have shown. The are so many options. Some of our favorites are Pepper Market, Captain Cook's, Port Orleans, Earl of Sandwich and as mentioned, Wolfgang Puck. Does WPE still have the corn flake french toast?
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR GSC

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: