Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #106
cherrybellecupcake
Earning My Ears

Loving your trip report!

I think that's so neat that your parents are taking Wendy on a cruise for her 10th birthday! How cool is that. I think all my grandparents did is take us to the Dakotas. lol. I'd much rather have went on a Disney cruise! Hopefully my parents will do something cool like that for my kids whenever I have any. lol.
Feb 17-24 2007 - Rented a House (W/ Dad's Side of Family. Age 19)

*Upcoming*
Not sure, but hopefully SOON!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #107
belle8306
DIS Veteran

I got to ride Toy Story for the first time on our trip. It was so much fun! I haven't ridden the Great Movie ride in ages. I do enjoy it though. It was nice of the CM to give Michael the flashlight.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #108
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Parking at the parks was super easy! In fact except for the MK it was more convenient than riding the bus. The tram takes you right to the front and you're not dependent on waiting for the bus. The morning we had an early character breakfast we even drove to MK because I didn't want to be late. That was a bit more complicated because you have to take the monorail or boat, but still wasn't bad.
Great! Thanks for the information. I am really think that will be our plan for the early mornings definitely--I don't want to take the chance of being late.

DHS: Wow, what insanity!! I am going to be the runner for FP because I think the rest of the group is going to head over to ToT and RnRC to get them knocked out off the list as soon as possible. Not the best way to do it, but I think to get everything in that is going to be my plan. I did not think that the GMR might potentially scare my DD. Hmm...something to consider. Luckily it will be one of our last days that we are here, so hopefully I will get a good idea of whether she could handle it.
September 2010 PTR

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #109
cdotla
Trish

Wowza! That is quite a crowd before 8am.

I completely agree with the strategy of going right to the ride if you are in the back of a long fastpass line. I always get gready and try to get the FP, then do the stand by. However, 2 times this trip I would have been much better off to have just gone right to the stand by line.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #110
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update!! YAY! for riding TSM and getting to see Mr. Potato Head! We still haven't seen him. I definitely think next time we will be doing the ride first and then grab fastpassses later. It looks like that is what would work best. Love the pictures of the kids waiting!! John and Michael look like best buddies!! So cute! We still haven't taken the boys on the Great Movie Ride...they think it would be too scary. Glad to hear that everyone liked it!! Hopefully, I can convince the boys next trip!!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #111
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Yikes! Thats one busy looking rope drop. But it looks like your plan to ride first FP later was a winner

Bless little Michael on the GMR, it was nice of the CM to give him her flashlight to play with
Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #112
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Sorry you got stuck in the rain. We had that happen to us last Thursday and it was a cold drive home.

I can't believe you just became a pin trader/collector on this trip, you must have great will power, unlike me. I think we made it 24 hours on our first trip before diving into the pins.

No one believes the race for TSMM unless they have seen it firsthand. We made it for rope drop during SWW, but we were able to stand there at Starring Rolls. It was so bad we ended up split up, I grabbed FP's for everyone while they rode. And the line for FP's was still all the way back to Walt's Dream by the time they got off the ride.

Loved the story on the Great Movie Ride. Kids always crack me up when they are scared during the whole ride, get off and want to ride again. How did they all do during the Alien scene?

ST, having a son, I know that ride too well, do you make it without stopping?
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! August 2012 TR I love SWW and SW Celebrations...does that mean I am a geek? A PTR of a SW family August 2012. Adventures of a DisneyWORLDholic!
That's it...we moved to Florida to be close to Mickey TR with daily TR's and other Florida Fun!
My DSD came to visit and didn't want to go to WDW with us??? My July 14-21st TR with Busch Gardens, Universal, and of course, WDW.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #113
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Isn't the TSM madness insane???? Don't get me wrong - I jump right into it every time we're there because I love that ride. But it's still hard to believe when you're in it!

Oh, your kids sound so much like my kids! Except, if we'd have gone on the Great Movie Ride, they all would have been cowering like Michael! Haley would have peppered me with questions just like Wendy did (but she still would probably have freaked out). And since Will wouldn't ride anything that was dark this year...it would have been a disaster! I guess Jack might have been into the gunfight...until it got too loud. The both of them would have been sitting there with their hands over their ears, watching it in horror. At least Michael had the good sense to look down! Can't wait to see if you make it to Star Tours!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #114
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Great update! Amazing how quickly the line builds for TSM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Next up: Would anything else distract us before we make it to Star Tours?
I'm guessing food distracts you. You haven't mentioned anything about eating breakfast yet.

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #115
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Oh, I love the look of the OKW rooms! I don't think I've ever seen pictures of those before. And that mug you got is awesome too!

Glad the TSM wait wasn't too long for you guys. We've always had pretty good luck doing it right away rather than getting a fastpass. We usually get the FP on the way out (or atleast try to...).
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #116
letstalkboutdisney
Mouseketeer

TSM is crazy! It will be closed when we go next month. We are sad, but maybe the park won't be so crowed?
How did you like the movie ride with the cowboy? I havent' seen that one yet, maybe next month.
Did you eat breakfast yet? Maybe you will get distracted by the starring rolls cafe before star wars.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #117
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I had to laugh when you mentioned how people were walking right past the Fastpass line because they couldn't believe it was a line to get Fastpasses. I did the same thing in 2009. Walked right past it thinking that it couldn't possibly be a line just to get Fastpasses.

You did great with just a 20 minute wait for Toy Story Mania. Every time we've been, it's been at least 40 minutes and even up to 130 minutes!

Poor Michael not wanting to look up during The Great Movie Ride. There are a couple of scenes that are a bit scary.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #118
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
Loving your updates!! How exciting is it to have those APs in hand?? I can't wait til we can get another set. It was adorable that the CM kept printing until they got the character they wanted! They do hold up super well, despite how they feel. Ours' went through so much over the year, but worked until the very end!

Can't wait to read more!!
Having those APs really does make me smile. I wish would could use them more, but Maryland is a long ways from Florida and I can't figure out a way to get down there for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning fanatic mom View Post
Excellent update. We were right behind you on this day. We didn't get there until a little after 8:00am. I headed to the FP line for TSM while the family rode ToT. On the great movie ride, we got to sit in the seat next to the driver for the first time and also had the Western scene.

I'm wondering what distracted you before Star Tours? I can't guess!!
I can't believe how we barely missed each other again. I wonder if we ever actually walked right by each other. I'm not always that observant so I probably wouldn't have even noticed. They must be doing the Western scene more often these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Love the updates! You're starting to sell me on the pins. I've been a huge hold-out on that.
Where did you get Wendy's Mickey/NY shirt? It's so cute!!!
We were shocked by the fact that the FP line for TSM was as long as the ride line! Craziness, right?

Amanda
The pins are lots of fun, but beware. They aren't cheap and they are a bit addicting. Wendy got her shirt in June 2009 at a store over in the Streets of America section of DHS. It's perfect for her because she loves Disney and she loves NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybellecupcake View Post
Loving your trip report!

I think that's so neat that your parents are taking Wendy on a cruise for her 10th birthday! How cool is that. I think all my grandparents did is take us to the Dakotas. lol. I'd much rather have went on a Disney cruise! Hopefully my parents will do something cool like that for my kids whenever I have any. lol.
My parents really are great. This is the first time they have taken the grandkids on the Disney cruise, but it was such a success that I think they are considering doing it for the 10 year old trip from now on. Which is good news for my boys. And me. Because I'll have to accompany them to Florida to catch the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
I got to ride Toy Story for the first time on our trip. It was so much fun! I haven't ridden the Great Movie ride in ages. I do enjoy it though. It was nice of the CM to give Michael the flashlight.
Toy Story is a great ride, but it's madness to get on it. I guess that is part of the fun though. The CM was very nice to poor Michael.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #119
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlefours View Post
Great! Thanks for the information. I am really think that will be our plan for the early mornings definitely--I don't want to take the chance of being late.

DHS: Wow, what insanity!! I am going to be the runner for FP because I think the rest of the group is going to head over to ToT and RnRC to get them knocked out off the list as soon as possible. Not the best way to do it, but I think to get everything in that is going to be my plan. I did not think that the GMR might potentially scare my DD. Hmm...something to consider. Luckily it will be one of our last days that we are here, so hopefully I will get a good idea of whether she could handle it.
The Toy Story rope drop stuff is pretty insane. At least you'll know to expect it though. The GMR actually does have some scary scenes, but many kids take it in stride. I think you'll know by the last day how your DD is reacting to rides and can make the call then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Wowza! That is quite a crowd before 8am.

I completely agree with the strategy of going right to the ride if you are in the back of a long fastpass line. I always get gready and try to get the FP, then do the stand by. However, 2 times this trip I would have been much better off to have just gone right to the stand by line.
I didn't see any difference between the 8:00 am rope drop and the 9:00 am rope drop crowds. It just reconfirmed my opinion normally I'd rather just get that extra hour of sleep. Though it worked out well to have that extra hour this day because we had to leave the park around 10:00. Riding stand by and then going for the fastpass is definitely going to be my new plan of attack at Toy Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great update!! YAY! for riding TSM and getting to see Mr. Potato Head! We still haven't seen him. I definitely think next time we will be doing the ride first and then grab fastpassses later. It looks like that is what would work best. Love the pictures of the kids waiting!! John and Michael look like best buddies!! So cute! We still haven't taken the boys on the Great Movie Ride...they think it would be too scary. Glad to hear that everyone liked it!! Hopefully, I can convince the boys next trip!!
The Toy Story queue is really fun. Try it next time. You'll really like it. John and Michael are best buddies. I sometimes feel bad for Wendy because she is often the odd one out, but she claims to like being the only girl because she doesn't have any competition. So far the dynamics with our 3 kids have been really good. The Great Movie Ride has some scary parts, but you can just tell your boys to close their eyes which is what Michael did for much of the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Yikes! Thats one busy looking rope drop. But it looks like your plan to ride first FP later was a winner

Bless little Michael on the GMR, it was nice of the CM to give him her flashlight to play with
We're used to summer rope drops so it actually seemed normal to us. The GMR CM was really nice. And Michael ended up liking the ride in the end so go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Sorry you got stuck in the rain. We had that happen to us last Thursday and it was a cold drive home.

I can't believe you just became a pin trader/collector on this trip, you must have great will power, unlike me. I think we made it 24 hours on our first trip before diving into the pins.

No one believes the race for TSMM unless they have seen it firsthand. We made it for rope drop during SWW, but we were able to stand there at Starring Rolls. It was so bad we ended up split up, I grabbed FP's for everyone while they rode. And the line for FP's was still all the way back to Walt's Dream by the time they got off the ride.

Loved the story on the Great Movie Ride. Kids always crack me up when they are scared during the whole ride, get off and want to ride again. How did they all do during the Alien scene?

ST, having a son, I know that ride too well, do you make it without stopping?
It wasn't too bad getting wet because we weren't stuck inside, but I can see being stuck in air conditioning how it would be uncomfortable. My kids have been pin collectors for a while, but I just started this trip. And I'm going to try to limit my collection to Peter Pan pins. Don't want to spend the kids' college fund I actually told them all to cover their eyes during the Alien scene so none of them saw it. Though Wendy wanted to tell me exactly what it looked like
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #120
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
Isn't the TSM madness insane???? Don't get me wrong - I jump right into it every time we're there because I love that ride. But it's still hard to believe when you're in it!

Oh, your kids sound so much like my kids! Except, if we'd have gone on the Great Movie Ride, they all would have been cowering like Michael! Haley would have peppered me with questions just like Wendy did (but she still would probably have freaked out). And since Will wouldn't ride anything that was dark this year...it would have been a disaster! I guess Jack might have been into the gunfight...until it got too loud. The both of them would have been sitting there with their hands over their ears, watching it in horror. At least Michael had the good sense to look down! Can't wait to see if you make it to Star Tours!
TSM is something else! In some ways I think the craziness is part of the fun. Funny how you think your kids would react to GMR. DH always wonders why our kids are scared of all the rides. It's nice to know they aren't the only ones. Though I really don't mind missing the thrill rides. I'm just happy being in the parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Great update! Amazing how quickly the line builds for TSM!
I'm guessing food distracts you. You haven't mentioned anything about eating breakfast yet.
You're right we haven't eaten breakfast yet. But we don't stop yet. Don't want to waste those early morning hours eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Oh, I love the look of the OKW rooms! I don't think I've ever seen pictures of those before. And that mug you got is awesome too!

Glad the TSM wait wasn't too long for you guys. We've always had pretty good luck doing it right away rather than getting a fastpass. We usually get the FP on the way out (or atleast try to...).
The OKW rooms won't look like that much longer. They are undergoing refurbishment and the new studios look quite different. They are putting in dark wood and painting the walls blue I think. I'm glad I got to stay there before the refurbishment. The decor really did feel relaxed and Florida like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letstalkboutdisney View Post
TSM is crazy! It will be closed when we go next month. We are sad, but maybe the park won't be so crowed?
How did you like the movie ride with the cowboy? I havent' seen that one yet, maybe next month.
Did you eat breakfast yet? Maybe you will get distracted by the starring rolls cafe before star wars.
It will be interested to see if the closing of TSM affects crowd levels or not. It is by far the most popular ride in the park. The cowboy shoot out was fun to see, but I think I may like the gangster scene better. Maybe because I'm not a great Western fan. They seem to be showing it more often so hopefully you'll get to see it next month and decide for yourself. We haven't eaten breakfast yet, but it's not our next stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I had to laugh when you mentioned how people were walking right past the Fastpass line because they couldn't believe it was a line to get Fastpasses. I did the same thing in 2009. Walked right past it thinking that it couldn't possibly be a line just to get Fastpasses.

You did great with just a 20 minute wait for Toy Story Mania. Every time we've been, it's been at least 40 minutes and even up to 130 minutes!

Poor Michael not wanting to look up during The Great Movie Ride. There are a couple of scenes that are a bit scary.
The whole TSM fastpass/standby thing really is funny. I wonder if it will ever get easier to get on that ride. I mean Soarin has been open a long time and it's still going strong so who knows. Only time will tell I guess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: