Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #91
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Love the mug, v cool and v fitting for you guys

Aww bless Michael, he does not look impressed does he Bummer that you got caught in that rain.

I am thinking that you made it for EMH at DHS
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #92
letstalkboutdisney
Mouseketeer

Great date. Can't wait to hear more.
How perfect for your family is the mug! How cute!
Love the pins. My kids haven't gottten into pin collecting yet.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #93
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlefours View Post
Did you have problems parking at all when driving to the parks? It is something I am really considering for the early morning and perhaps for our MNSSHP night.

It is surprising how popular Soarin' still is all these years later. It is one of my favorites and one I am looking forward to taking DD on in September.

for having APs!!

Cute mug! OKW seems like a great resort. It is one I would want to try someday.
Parking at the parks was super easy! In fact except for the MK it was more convenient than riding the bus. The tram takes you right to the front and you're not dependent on waiting for the bus. The morning we had an early character breakfast we even drove to MK because I didn't want to be late. That was a bit more complicated because you have to take the monorail or boat, but still wasn't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Love the mug!

Love the pictures that show how wet you all were, for those of us that have been caught in those storms, we can relate

Your room looks beautiful, I really want to stay at OKW, it just screams Florida and I love that!
That is what I like about OKW too. When I'm in Florida I like knowing I'm in Florida. That is actually one of the reasons I like the summer trips too. We've been at Thanksgiving and in January and I don't really like having to pack sweatshirts and jackets. I like when all we need is shorts and t-shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
As promised I am now all caught up! Everything sounds great so far

I'm glad the train worked out for you, that in itself sounded like a fun adventure!

Love the pic of the kids at the aquarium, and good for you for just taking it easy - it would have been tempting to squeeze a whole bunch in with Wendy leaving the next day.

Did you rent the DVC points from someone you knew or through one of the boards? You may remember that I would like to do that at some point, so I'm interested in how it worked out for you.

Looking forward to more
We renting the DVC points from someone I found on the boards a while back. She rented me the reservation for my January trip and so we just used her again. I may use her again in the future. Renting points is definitely a way to save some money. For the weekdays our room ended up only costing $108/night and that is the total. No taxes added on. No way Disney would give me a room at OKW for that price in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
Yes, that was the same storm!! I was lucky enough to spend it in our hotel room with Haley and Will, but Shelley, Sue, Mom, and my aunt all got SOAKED. Mom and Aunt Dee actually headed back to the room to change because their ponchos did them no good at all in the sideways rain! I'm glad you didn't get any wetter than you did!

I swear we had the same color scheme back in 2000 at OKW. But it sounds like your location was awesome! We were off a ways from the hospitality house, which could explain why we never made it there after checking in. I'd like to have a patio/balcony to read on if we end up renting DVC for our next trip....

Great start to your trip!
That was quite the storm. I actually love summer storms. As long as you don't go inside after you're all wet it isn't even cold. I was having the time of my life, but I'm not sure my kids felt the same way. I'm sure that is the same color scheme at OKW. They are in the process of refurbishing right now, but we stayed in an unfurbished room. I don't think they've changed it for quite a while. I didn't notice any excessive wear or tear though.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #94
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great update!! Aww...poor Michael. He didn't look too happy to be wet, did he? I don't blame him though! We felt the same way at Epcot last August. It looks like those Mickey bars made everything better! OKW sounds great!! I'm glad you got such a good location! And I love the mug you picked up!! So cute!!! Can't wait to see if you make to EMH at Hollywood Studios!
Michael can definitely be a bit moody, and he's not afraid to let his feeling show. It is amazing though the power of Mickey bars to cheer up the grumpiest soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Love the mug, v cool and v fitting for you guys

Aww bless Michael, he does not look impressed does he Bummer that you got caught in that rain.

I am thinking that you made it for EMH at DHS
The mug really is cute. I actually liked getting caught in the rain. Makes for fun memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by letstalkboutdisney View Post
Great date. Can't wait to hear more.
How perfect for your family is the mug! How cute!
Love the pins. My kids haven't gottten into pin collecting yet.
Beware of the pin collecting bug. My kids love it and it isn't the cheapest hobby.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #95
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Just read your report (via links which I ). What a blessing for the grandkids to have such a special memory with their grandparents and something to look forward to. Also, how cute are your kids!! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to hear more!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #96
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Can't wait until your CD arrives so we can see the picture!

I love the looks of OKW, and would like to stay there someday. But I'll be sure to request the Hospitality House area so we don't have the long trek!

Glad you had a nice evening with your parents!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #97
goofy's_gurl
DIS Veteran

Great update. Its horrible that the rain didnt hold off til you got in your car.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #98
belle8306
DIS Veteran

We got soaked by that storm too! We were doing OK until it started raining sideways! I love that mug! Pin trading is a lot of fun. My DH has really gotten into it. I love how relaxing everything looks at OKW. Reading on the balcony sounds wonderful! I really enjoyed Eclipse.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #99
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness!! I am so sorry that you guys got stuck in that rain What a GREAT mug that you bought!!! It is so fitting for you and your family!

Can't wait to read more
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #100
micheleq
DIS Veteran

Also hopping aboard! Looks like better weather than January huh? lol...

Congrats on the APs I bet they are Tyvek like the tickets you get from Undercover Tourist. Much more durable than the credit card ones. DD5 still plays with our tickets from 12/08.

We'll be at YC (CL! Yahoo for the Monster pin!) from 10/24-30th, when are you going in October?

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

CB 1/01 SSR 12/08 YC-CL 10/11 SSR 11/14 VGF 1/15
Magic Western Caribbean 2/12
Wonder Easter 3/13 Western Caribbean
Fantasy Easter 4/14 Eastern Caribbean
DL PPH-CL 8/13
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #101
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
Just read your report (via links which I ). What a blessing for the grandkids to have such a special memory with their grandparents and something to look forward to. Also, how cute are your kids!! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to hear more!
It really is great of my parents to take their grandkids on a special trip. And Wendy absolutely loved every minute of it! Oh and I think my kids are cute too. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Can't wait until your CD arrives so we can see the picture!

I love the looks of OKW, and would like to stay there someday. But I'll be sure to request the Hospitality House area so we don't have the long trek!

Glad you had a nice evening with your parents!
The CD is supposed to be here tomorrow evening. I'll post the picture as soon as I can. Trust me, it's good for laughs. Yes, definitely get the Hospitality House area if you ever stay at OKW. Definitely makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy's_gurl View Post
Great update. Its horrible that the rain didnt hold off til you got in your car.
I actually liked the fact it rained on us. Makes for great memories and it really was kind of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
We got soaked by that storm too! We were doing OK until it started raining sideways! I love that mug! Pin trading is a lot of fun. My DH has really gotten into it. I love how relaxing everything looks at OKW. Reading on the balcony sounds wonderful! I really enjoyed Eclipse.
That storm was something else wasn't it. Oh the memories Reading on the balcony throughout the trip really was nice. I like Eclipse. I'm reading Breaking Dawn right no and it's a bit too far out for me. (Which sounds funny considering Eclipse is all about modern day vampire and werewolves.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoo View Post
Oh my goodness!! I am so sorry that you guys got stuck in that rain What a GREAT mug that you bought!!! It is so fitting for you and your family!

Can't wait to read more
I actually thought the rain was fun. I love summer rain. I go out and dance in it in my backyard sometimes. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleq View Post
Also hopping aboard! Looks like better weather than January huh? lol...

Congrats on the APs I bet they are Tyvek like the tickets you get from Undercover Tourist. Much more durable than the credit card ones. DD5 still plays with our tickets from 12/08.

We'll be at YC (CL! Yahoo for the Monster pin!) from 10/24-30th, when are you going in October?

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!
over to this trip report. Definitely different than my January trip. One reason I like summer trips is the weather is so predictable. It's hot, hot, hot. In January you never know, and this past January was way too cold for my taste. Awesome that you're headed to YC CL for a week. Definitely jealous of that one. We're actually only going for the weekend. Heading down Oct 29 and coming back 31. Short, but I'm going so I'm happy.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #102
dismagiclover

Toy Story Madness

The wake up call came bright and early and we were out the door at 7:30 am. 20 seconds later we were in the car. One of the advantages of Old Key West is that you park right in front of your room. Love that. We made our way over to Hollywood Studios, parked the car, hopped on the tram, made it through bag check, made it through the turnstiles and joined the crowd waiting for rope drop. This is how it looked in front of us at 7:54 am.

This was our first AM Extra Magic Hour so I donít know if these are normal crowds or not. To me it didnít seem much less crowded than a regular 9:00 am rope drop. We didnít choose to come here to beat the crowds though. We chose this park because the 8:00 am opening got us an extra hour in the park before we were to meet my parents a bit after 10:00. The kids were excited!

The rope dropped and the crowd surged forward. A few people broke off at the point where you head to Tower of Terror or Rock Ďn Roller Coaster, but the vast majority stayed with us as we headed over to Toy Story Mania. Wendy especially couldnít believe all the people and started immediately questioning why we didnít just get a fastpass because she didnít want to wait behind all these people in line. I told her I would show her why. Then we came upon the insanity that is the Toy Story fastpass line at rope drop and I pointed it out to her. Her mouth dropped open and she simply said, ďOh.Ē The chaos in this section of the park at rope drop always amazes me. The people in the know head directly for the ride or the fastpass line, but there are always lots of people who canít believe that is actually the fastpass line. So they keep walking until they realize yes, that is the line for a fastpass. Then they are backtracking to get back to the end of that line. Meanwhile the rest of the crowd is still surging forward to get to the ride line. Itís chaos, and it isnít any better on EMH mornings. Anyway we went straight to the ride line and the posted wait was 20 minutes. This was our first time going through the regular queue. In the past weíd always joined the fastpass line. Anyway it was fun to go through the regular queue. Lots of fun details here. And we finally got to see this guy.

Here the kids are happily waiting

Here they are with their glasses

Then we hopped on the ride. The wait was pretty close to 20 minutes. The boys rode together. We all had a great time. Here are mine and Wendyís score.

I beat Wendy, but the score is definitely nothing to brag about.

As we exited the ride I took this picture.

40 minute wait at 8:30 in the morning. And Iím sure this is the shortest it would be all day. Here is the fastpass machines at 8:30

The poor folks that show up at 9:00 hoping to get an early fastpass. Iím sure the times would be well into the afternoon by then. Notice that the fastpass line had completely dispersed. If we didnít have to leave the park we would have picked one up. I think that going straight for the ride at rope drop and then getting a fastpass is the way to do it. That will be our plan on subsequent trips.

As for this trip, Toy Story Mania was the only must do item for this morning. So the question was where to now. My kids arenít up for Tower of Terror or Rock Ďn Roller Coaster. The boys were clamoring for Star Tours and even though this ride makes me queasy I agreed. We headed that way, but I spotted the Great Movie Ride as we walked over and it was open. My kids had never been on this, and I thought they would enjoy it. So despite their protests we headed in. Wendy especially does not like the unknown and began peppering me with all kinds of questions about the ride. I assured her it would be just fine. I mentioned they might not like the Alien scene, but I would tell them when that was coming and they could shut their eyes. We hopped into our vehicle and we were right behind the driver. We began our travels through the movies and the kids were enjoying it. We traveled right through the gangster scene without stopping and I realized I was actually going to see the western scene. I knew this was a bit unusual so I was excited when the shootout began. Then I noticed Michael wasnít. I quickly explained to him it was all pretend, but he still didnít like it much. Then the bad buy hopped into the car right in front of us. Michael didnít like that one bit. Luckily the bad guy didnít ham it up much so Michael could handle it. Then the Indiana Jones scene came and Michael didnít like it at all. He shut his eyes through the whole scene and was pretty confused about how we got our nice driver back. Even though the nice driver was back Michael was nervous about the rest of the ride and spent it all looking down. The nice driver noticed he was afraid and gave him her flashlight to shine on the floor the rest of the ride. I think I did actually get him to look up during the Wizard of Oz scene, but then the witch showed up and he looked down again. As we finally came to the end of the ride I asked all the kids how they liked it. Both Wendy and John said it was great which didnít surprise me. The surprise was Michaelís answer. He gave it a thumbs up. Go figure.

Next up: Would anything else distract us before we make it to Star Tours?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #103
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Loving your updates!! How exciting is it to have those APs in hand?? I can't wait til we can get another set. It was adorable that the CM kept printing until they got the character they wanted! They do hold up super well, despite how they feel. Ours' went through so much over the year, but worked until the very end!

Can't wait to read more!!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #104
Planning fanatic mom
DIS Veteran

Excellent update. We were right behind you on this day. We didn't get there until a little after 8:00am. I headed to the FP line for TSM while the family rode ToT. On the great movie ride, we got to sit in the seat next to the driver for the first time and also had the Western scene.

I'm wondering what distracted you before Star Tours? I can't guess!!

1987 Off Site: 1990 Honeymoon: 1997 Shades of Green: 2006 POP: 2007 POR: 2009 WL: 2010 CSR: 2012 RPH and POFQ: 2014 POFQ

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #105
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Love the updates! You're starting to sell me on the pins. I've been a huge hold-out on that.
Where did you get Wendy's Mickey/NY shirt? It's so cute!!!
We were shocked by the fact that the FP line for TSM was as long as the ride line! Craziness, right?

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: