Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #76
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Yay for getting your APs! I am happy I got an AP again...it's been a long time since I had one! Still wish they were the credit card style instead of just the paper. Oh well, can't complain too much. Atleast it's an AP!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #77
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I can realte to keeping up with kids in the madness that is Mousegears! It can ge crazy in there and my hats off to anyone who can keep up with their kids in there.

Congrats on the annual passes!
It is tough with each of the kids wanting to look at different stuff and all of the different rooms. Luckily my kids are old enough that they know to keep an eye on me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning fanatic mom View Post
No, we didn't know it was raining until we got to the part at the end where you play the fun games.

It's a small world after all!!
The soundtrack is probably loud enough to drown out any sound of rain. Wouldn't that be cool to hear the rain on the inside though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I think those annual passes are beautiful!

I love how they've changed SE with your pictures in cartoons at the end. I have something weird going on with my hair and I looked like Alfalfa from the little rascals and my DD17 laughed until we were crying I looked so funny!
The cartoons at the end of SE are always such a crack up! It makes that ride down one of the best parts of the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
That sounds like a wonderful start to your trip. My MIL and I got caught in all of that rain at Downtown Disney. It made for some interesting moments! Yay for the annual passes!
I'm sure lots of people have stories about that storm! It was a big one! I can't wait to hear about it in your trip report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Great update Cute pic of John in the Mad Hatter hat.

for AP's, means lots more trips to take
The AP's do make me happy. Now if I could just figure out a way to get down to Florida for free. Then those APs would get some serious use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Yay for getting your APs! I am happy I got an AP again...it's been a long time since I had one! Still wish they were the credit card style instead of just the paper. Oh well, can't complain too much. Atleast it's an AP!
It is strange that they don't give you the credit card style. The tickets are supposed to last a whole year and they make them less durable than the hotel cards that you only need for a week. Go figure.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #78
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Lol yes that would be even sweeter Maybe you should find a way to get DH's work to transfer him to Florida
Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #79
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
So I asked the kids where to next and Wendy immediately piped up with “Club Cool.” (No one guessed it.)
Never even thought of that; I was thinking rides.

Quote:
So the kids all agreed we could get ice cream back at the hotel. (Remember this later.)
Uh oh...

Quote:
Woo hoo! So nice of the CM to let the kids get the characters they wanted!

Quote:
There was just one more thing I wanted to do before we left the park. I wanted a Photopass picture of all of us with the ball.
I really hope you were able to get the pic!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #80
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Woohoo for getting your APs! The CM went above and beyond to get them printed with just the right character. That's one of the reasons I love Disney.

I can hardly wait to see the pictures of Old Key West!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #81
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Wow, I go to the cottage for a few days and by the time I get to checking into TRs you've not only started but you're on page 6!

Belated welcome home, I'm sure you had a great time and I can't wait to read all about it! It is however past my bedtime , so I will get caught up tomorrow!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #82
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Lol yes that would be even sweeter Maybe you should find a way to get DH's work to transfer him to Florida
I would love to move to Florida. Unfortunately DH works for the government and that is here in Washington DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Never even thought of that; I was thinking rides.
Uh oh...
Woo hoo! So nice of the CM to let the kids get the characters they wanted!
I really hope you were able to get the pic!
The CM was really nice to go out of her way with the APs. And you'll know soon the result of the photo. I'm hoping my CD shows up today, but even if it doesn't I'm going to try and get an update up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Woohoo for getting your APs! The CM went above and beyond to get them printed with just the right character. That's one of the reasons I love Disney.

I can hardly wait to see the pictures of Old Key West!
It's true that Disney seems to be one of the few places left where employees don't seem to mind going out of their way to make guests happy Old Key West is a lovely resort. You may have to wait a while for pictures. I don't think I take many until later on in the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
Wow, I go to the cottage for a few days and by the time I get to checking into TRs you've not only started but you're on page 6!

Belated welcome home, I'm sure you had a great time and I can't wait to read all about it! It is however past my bedtime , so I will get caught up tomorrow!
Don't worry. Trips to cottages are definitely excused absences from trip reports. Glad you made it over.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #83
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I'm a little late, but joining in. The train sounds so cool. Too funny about the wine.

OKW is beautiful, haven't been able to stay there, but did make a quick visit to see friends there.

And Congrats on the AP's. Maybe they will have a special event for AP holders on your next trip.

Looking forward to hearing more, especially HP!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #84
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
I'm a little late, but joining in. The train sounds so cool. Too funny about the wine.

OKW is beautiful, haven't been able to stay there, but did make a quick visit to see friends there.

And Congrats on the AP's. Maybe they will have a special event for AP holders on your next trip.

Looking forward to hearing more, especially HP!
Good to see you in these parts. The HP stuff comes at the very end of the trip so I guess you're going to have to stick around for a while
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #85
dismagiclover

The End of the Day

The storm was fast approaching as we headed toward the Photopass photographers by the front gate. In fact one of them already had her umbrella set up and open. We hustled over and the photographer had time to snap a few shots. I didn’t realize it until I looked at the pictures once we were home, but I looked like I’d spent the night on a train. Every time I see the pictures I wish I had a brush to pull through my hair. The kids, however, still look cute. Mussed up hair and all.

Notice the dark cloud quickly approaching.

We then headed out of the park for the tram. I saw a couple of lightening bolts and the thunder was rumbling. We hopped on the tram and I was just hoping the rain would hold out until we reached the car. Well it didn’t. It came all at once while we were on the tram. This was one of those storm where the rain blew in sideway so we were soaked before we even made it to our stop. Also figures this would be the day we were on the very far end of the row from the tram stop. So once we got off we had about 100 yards to the car. I told the kids it was a practice run for our January races and we were off. The rain was coming sideways. We were lucky that it was at our backs, not our fronts. So by the time we made it to the car our backsides were absolutely soaked. Our fronts not near as bad. Luckily we were wearing crocs and flip flops so our shoes were just fine. I laughed pretty hard as we all piled into the car. Michael didn’t think it was quite so funny.

He’s a bit wet. And that is his dry side.

So the question was where to head to now. That picture was taken at 3:13 and we’d still not received a text with our room number. Our original plan was to head to Goods to Go (OKW’s counter service) and get ice cream. Remember the promise I’d made about getting ice cream back at the hotel. That presented a potential problem in the pouring rain. There is no indoor seating at Goods to Go. So I did some quick thinking and we decided to hit up Artist’s Palette, the counter service at Saratoga Springs. We headed over and parked the car, but it was still pouring rain. We were already soaked so we made another run for it. We arrived at Artist’s Palette and the kids all had their first Mickey bars of the trip. This picture turned out blurry, but you can still tell how wet we all were.

By the time we finished up it was almost 4:00 and we still hadn’t gotten our text. So I decided we’d just head over to the check in at OKW and ask if our room was ready. We drove over and the CM at the front desk had no problem giving us our room number. We never did get a text. I don’t know if they had the wrong number or what, but who knows when our room was actually ready. Anyway we headed to room 2410 which was in an absolute fabulous location. It is considered the Hospitality House area, but was actually across the bridge behind the Hospitality House. It was very close to the bus stop and just a hop skip and a jump over to the pool and the restaurants. Perfect location. We parked the car right outside the villa (a nice perk at OKW.) We walked in and saw this.

Our home for the boys and I for the next 7 days. They are in the process of refurbishing the rooms here and this wasn’t refurbished. I knew that going in though. They haven’t gotten to the Hospitality House area yet. I didn’t mind at all. The room was spacious and relaxing. We had a kitchenette and plenty of space, plus a lovely private patio where I spent quite a bit of time reading in the evening. (I read all of Eclipse while I was there.) So we changed out of our wet clothes and spent a bit of time settling in. It didn’t take long and the kids were soon itching to check things out. Plus my parents would be arriving via Magical Express very soon. So we headed over to the check out the Hospitality House area. By this point the rain had mostly stopped. We stopped in the shop to where I saw the first souvenirs of the trip. I’d seen this mug on the DIS before I’d left and knew it was a must get. (We are the Darling Family after all.)

I also saw a set of Darling Family pins that were adorable. So I decided to become a pin collector. Here is my lanyard by the end of the trip. The pins included in the Peter Pan set were the Peter Pan, Wendy, John and Michael, and Tinkerbell pins. The other two I picked up later.

After browsing the shop, we walked over Olivia’s to check out the menu. We had an ADR there that evening. Then we walked over to the community center to check it out. We spent lots of time in the community center this trip. My kids love it and for our family that is one of the best perks of the DVC resorts. This evening the kids pounced on the Connect Four game and played a couple of rounds.

Sometime during this period I talked to my mom who told us she was at the airport headed to the Magical Express area. We’d used our DVC points and reserved my parents a room for the night at OKW. I was excited to show them just a bit why I love Disney World so much. They had been to a couple of the parks before, but they had never seen any of the resorts. My mom was beyond impressed even before she got on the Magical Express bus. She couldn’t believe she didn’t have to worry about luggage and could just leisurely stroll down to catch a waiting bus. My dad was a bit more skeptical He was worried about actually getting the luggage they were leaving behind. Anyway once my parents had arrived and checked in they gave us a call and we headed right over to meet them. Of course the kids were so excited to see Grandma and Grandpa. They live clear across the country so we usually only see them once or twice a year. After hugs and profuse gratitude from my parents for booking the room for them we headed to dinner at Olivia’s, the table service at Old Key West. This isn’t a dining report so I don’t have many food pictures, but here are my thoughts. It was a comfortable laid back place though it was a bit on the loud side. The best part of the meal may have been the pineapple bread they brought at the beginning. Yum! I had the pork chop and found it quite good. For dessert I tried the Key Lime pie and really enjoyed it. It didn’t have that normal key lime kick which was actually a nice change. Everyone else enjoyed their meal too and Wendy insisted I take a picture of her pasta.

I don’t know if you can tell, but they are in Mickey shapes.

So after dinner we walked my parents over to their room which was not in the hospitality house section. It was way over in building 22 which was just across the golf course from our building. There was no way to walk across the golf course, however, so it was a bit of a hike to their room. That was when I became very glad we’d reserved the hospitality house area. I’m not sure I would have enjoyed OKW so much if I’d been that far out from everything. After finding my parent’s room (which looked exactly like ours) we left them there for a break and told them we were heading to the pool if they wanted to walk down later. Then we headed back to our room to get on our suits. We made the short walk to the pool where these happy dolphins greeted us.

The kids headed immediately for the slide and proclaimed it great fun. I sat by the side of the pool and watched. It was getting dark and I like pools best when the sun is shining. After a few minutes my parents showed up and we spent an enjoyable hour or so watching the kids swim and chatting. Around 9:00 I pulled the kids out of the pool and said goodnight to my parents. Wendy especially had a big day ahead of her. The next day was her cruise. I was hoping to get a couple of hours of park time in before we left for the port. We headed back to our room and settled in for our first night on Disney Property and the sweet dreams that came with it.

Next Up: Would we make EMH at Hollywood Studios?

Last edited by dismagiclover; 07-09-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #86
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Did you have problems parking at all when driving to the parks? It is something I am really considering for the early morning and perhaps for our MNSSHP night.

It is surprising how popular Soarin' still is all these years later. It is one of my favorites and one I am looking forward to taking DD on in September.

for having APs!!

Cute mug! OKW seems like a great resort. It is one I would want to try someday.
September 2010 PTR

Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #87
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Love the mug!

Love the pictures that show how wet you all were, for those of us that have been caught in those storms, we can relate

Your room looks beautiful, I really want to stay at OKW, it just screams Florida and I love that!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #88
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

As promised I am now all caught up! Everything sounds great so far

I'm glad the train worked out for you, that in itself sounded like a fun adventure!

Love the pic of the kids at the aquarium, and good for you for just taking it easy - it would have been tempting to squeeze a whole bunch in with Wendy leaving the next day.

Did you rent the DVC points from someone you knew or through one of the boards? You may remember that I would like to do that at some point, so I'm interested in how it worked out for you.

Looking forward to more
Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #89
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Yes, that was the same storm!! I was lucky enough to spend it in our hotel room with Haley and Will, but Shelley, Sue, Mom, and my aunt all got SOAKED. Mom and Aunt Dee actually headed back to the room to change because their ponchos did them no good at all in the sideways rain! I'm glad you didn't get any wetter than you did!

I swear we had the same color scheme back in 2000 at OKW. But it sounds like your location was awesome! We were off a ways from the hospitality house, which could explain why we never made it there after checking in. I'd like to have a patio/balcony to read on if we end up renting DVC for our next trip....

Great start to your trip!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #90
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update!! Aww...poor Michael. He didn't look too happy to be wet, did he? I don't blame him though! We felt the same way at Epcot last August. It looks like those Mickey bars made everything better! OKW sounds great!! I'm glad you got such a good location! And I love the mug you picked up!! So cute!!! Can't wait to see if you make to EMH at Hollywood Studios!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: