Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Mickey just called, he wants you guys to start the fireworks!!!!!!

So we're finally back and I'm finally getting started on this thing. Part of me is sad because it'll mean the trip is really over, but part of me is excited to get to relive it again with all of you.

Before we get started a little bit of background...

For those of you who followed along with my PTR and are jumping over here thank you!! For those of you who didn't see my PTR here it is if you're interested in pictures, a little more extensive background and how this all came about. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503280

Our cast will include...

WHO
Myself - Lori, age 28
My Mom - Linda
My aunt - Karen
My uncle - Dan
My cousin age 7 - Rebekah
My cousin age 5 - Jake

For simplicity sake I'll stick with calling my mom "mom" obviously, Dan and karen I will probably jump between "aunt" and "uncle" or Dan and Karen. I tend to have a problem sticking with the same thing so just letting you know now so as not to be confused.

WHEN - Oct. 2nd - 9th

WHERE - Pop Century

HOW - If you had read my PTR you wouldn't be asking this now would you. LOL

WHAT - our first big family trip with all of us since both kids were born

and finally...WHY - I have NO idea!!!!!

Just a bit of a warning.....there will be times it sounds like I'm complaining throughout this, but in all honesty I'm not (not TOO much at least) There are just times you need to vent and venting to fellow Disney addicts who I know will understand will be good therapy for me. Plus if any of you have ever gone on vacation with family or friends and tried to stay on the exact same schedule and not do your own seperate things will definitely understand me.

And lastly, I'll spend the most time on the first four days since that's when my aunt, uncle, and the kids were there and there's TONS to discuss about that. After that the last three days they went back home and it was just mom and me. We had a fantastic time when it was just us, but I'm guessing without kids involved anymore most of you won't be as interested so I'll make those days a bit more brief. I apologize in advance if I get too long winded on the first half, but I"ve never been to Disney with kids so this was all new to me and so different, but so much fun as well. Seeing the magic through their eyes nearly made me cry on more than one occassion. Well, I guess that's it, that's all of our preshow so if you're all keep your arms, feet, and legs inside the moving vehicle at all times and please no flash photography we'll get started on our magical journey!!

Coming up very shortly....Day 1 Traveling day!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2578387&got o=newpost

Last edited by Lbg206; 10-18-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Day 1

It's finally time!!!!! I got up bright and early and my DH drove me to my mom's house where we were all meeting If you read my PTR you know about all the magical surprises that Mickey and the gang had sent the kids and before we left out for the airport they had one last surprise waiting.......ear hats!!!!

Can you tell they were excited? :-)

After a few thousand kisses goodbye to my wonderful DH we were off! Bekah (7) had been the one who was afraid to fly and had been talking about how scared she was for months, but suddenly when it was the day of all she cared about was getting to where Mickey lived. Jake (5) was the one who on that morning was suddenly really afraid. WE got to the airport early since Karen, Dan, and the kids hadn't flown before and were nervous and unsure about everything from checking bags to going through security. It was surprisingly a light day and we got through quickly and were to our gate with 20 minutes or so.

After a few snacks and a few thousand questions it was finally time to board. Since we were flying Southwest and it's open seating Bekah took it upon herself to assign seats. In one row it was to be be her, me, and my uncle and across from us would be my mom, Karen, and Jake. This was ok with me since Karen is TERRIFIED of flying and I was happy to let my mom dea with her and Jake. LOL From the second we set foot on the plane though both kids were over the moon excited. They loved all of it, meeting the pilot, the takeoff, looking out the window, etc. Bekah made me take a ton of pics to cronicle the whole thing, but I'll just share a few. Don't ask me what she's doing in this one because I have no idea.

And this was how Jake spent almost the ENTIRE flight.....his little nosed pressed to the window

He LOVED looking down at the ground. I love that little tail sticking up on the top of his hat. hehe

Once we got up high enough that you could start to see the curve of the earth and less detail Bekah suddenly got really excited and pointing and told me that it looks just like a globe down there. :-) She's so cute!! Also several times during the flight she said it looked like the planet earth, to which I said I certainly hoped so. LOL I think the best though was when we started to descend a bit and you could make out more detail she turned to me and said "Florida sure has a lot of ants!!" I almost made this the title of my TR. I knew what she was seeing, but didn't say anything. A little bit later I asked her how those ants were doing and her eyes got huge and she said Florida has REALLY big ants!!!! Finally a few minutes later I heard her giggle and she realized that what she was seeing had been cars on the highways. TOO cute!!

After landing we quickly made our way to the Magical Express area and were on a bus within minutes. The kids at this point were ridiculously excited. Jake said to me "I thought the plane brought us to disney world....is this it? What are we doing on a bus?" It's amazing that with an hour drive to the airport, an hour and a half wait and then a two hour flight this simple 25-30 minute ride to our resort was the LONGEST of the day. Finally we saw it...the sign for Pop Century. Woohoo!!!

We've arrived!!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Subbing
Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Joining in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Subbing

Thanks to both of you, glad to have you along!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
pigletforever
DIS Veteran

looks like a fun trip. Can't wait to hear more.

1994 off site (WDW), 1996 Contemp (WDW),
2006 AKL CL (WDW), 2009 OCTOBER 21-25 Sheraton Anaheim (DLR), 2010 Jan 4 -9 Holiday Inn and Suites (DLR)
Dec2010/Jan 2011WL (WDW), November 16,2013 Wonder, November 23, 2014 Magic
Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Joining in.

We'll be at Pop in 7 months so I am really excited to read your trip report.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletforever View Post
looks like a fun trip. Can't wait to hear more.
Thanks for joining in, I"m working on the next update right now actually, should be up within the half hour. I look forward to your comments.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Joining in.

We'll be at Pop in 7 months so I am really excited to read your trip report.

Thanks for joining in!! I"m working on the next update right now. I definitely have plenty pics of Pop and plenty of thoughts on it....some good some bad. Let me know if you any specific questions about the resort as we go along and I"ll do my best to answer them.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

Kids are so funny! Some of the things they say make you sit back and laugh.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Arriving at our hotel and our night at MK

Upon arriving at the resort Karen and I went to check in while everyone else made a bathroom break. I thought I was doing a smart thing by checking in online, but what I found was about 20 people in the online check-in line and only two in the regular check in......whoops! Apparently everyone has caught on to this online check-in stuff. Thankfully it didn't take but about ten minutes. I had requested connecting rooms for us as well as 60's section, lakeview, and upper floor. We ended up only getting one of our requests, at least it was the connecting rooms. We were second floor, building 10 in the 70's. I was slightly disappointed at first, but it ended up being just fine. Building 10 is SSOOOO close to the food court and buses it was great. Plus it was fun coming out our door every morning and seeing a giant Mickey phone right in front of you. :-)

We got to our newly refurbished rooms and the kids went nuts over the towel animals left in the window. I believe we each had dogs. They were definitely cute, but you'd think the kids had just seen Mickey himself. lol

I'll stop here for a moment and just say that I have never stayed at a value resort before, nor had I ever even been to one so I wasn't sure what to expect. Karen and Dan couldn't afford anything so that's why we chose it. Had it been just mom and I or my husband and I we probably would have done at least moderate if not deluxe. The rooms were perfectly adequate for our needs, the new refurbishments were very nice with the flatscreen tvs and new paint, bedding, etc. The rooms are SMALL!!! It was fine for mom and I just being two, but not sure I could have stood it with my aunt, uncle, and both kids. Thankfully we had connecting rooms and left the dooor open most times so Bekah and Jake could run back and forth between the two. I personally didn't mind the size especially since I"m not the type to spend much time in the room, my mom however made up her mind instantly that she did NOT like value, but again this trip was mostly about the kids and it fit our needs just fine. I will say the one thing I disliked was the matresses. They are very VERY soft so if you're used to soft ones you'll be fine, but if you prefer a much firmer matress like I do than be prepared to sink down to the floor.....or at least it feels like it. Other than that I didn't have many complaints except a small gripe that I much prefer having a balcony and seperate enterance like at deluxe, but again just my personal preferance.

Anyway, back to the fun!!!!

We dumped our carry on's on the bed and changed the kids into shorts and off we went. Our orignal plan was to find some dinner at MK, but we knew once the kids got to the park and saw the castle and all the excitement they'd never sit still long enough to eat so we stopped off at the Pop food court to grab a bite.

Now I warned all of you I would be venting a little and you'd hear the bad, not just the good so here's the first time a problem came about. We were starving having not eaten since about 8:30 that morning and it was now about 4 p.m. so we just all grabbed burgers except for the kids who I believe both had chicken nuggets. My mom and I thought our meals were just fine. They weren't the greatest thing in the entire world I've ever eaten, but it was a simple burger at a counter service so we weren't expecting fine cousine. In all honesty though the burgers were actually quite good. The fries were a little cold and undercooked, but the burger itself was really good. My aunt and uncle however, they hated their food. They had the exact same thing as the rest of us and immediately started complaining that it was horrible and not fit to be dog food. Different people, different tastes and as I said it wasn't outstanding, but wasn't bad eithe rI thought. They made a huge deal over it though and mom and I just rolled our eyes and went on eating. I realize this doesn't seem like a major thing now, but I point it out because it will establish a pattern later on in the trip that did become a big annoyance.

As soon as we were finished we high tailed it to the buses and went straight to MK. A bus came within just a minute or so and it wasn't crowded at all so things were starting off well. Upon arriving there was some confusion over our key cards and them saying they hadn't been registered yet or something. We explained we had only checked in about two hours prior and eventually the problem was worked out. Apparently they had wrong numbers coded on them or something. I started getting a little aggitated....it had been a long day traveling, then the food complaints, and now this I think I was just a little tired and stressed. I forced myself to take a deep breath and relax and kept saying "Hey, you're in Disney....you're finallly here!!!" That helped me some and after only about 15 minutes or so the problem was worked out....we were in!!!

It was a bit more crowded than I expected, bu tnothing terrible. This was my first time seeing the fall decorations so I took a few pics as we entered.

The one thing I had really been looking forward to was that big "WOW" moment when Bekah and Jake first saw the castle and walking down Main St. Unfortunately though I didn't get it, but it worked out okay in the end. Just as we turned the corner and i was ready with camera in hand to capture their little faces these guys came down the streets telling everyone move back onto the sidewalks as the parade was about to come through. Oh great, I didn't realize we were gonna get caught in the middle and I'd miss my big moment of seeing the castle with them. I was a bit bummed, but had decided this was going to be a much different trip than I was used to with a larger group and the kids and my neurotic aunt. (I saw that with the most love and kindness possible. Haha) I just sucked it up and went with it and even snapped a few pics. It was the Move it, Shake it, Celebrate it show or at least I think it's called something like that.

It's a really short little parade so once it passed we followed it down main st. and to the main hub in front of the castle and continued to watch. The kids wer eexcited and dancing to the music when suddenly a CM came over and pulled Bekah and Jake out of the crowd and wanted them to come out and dance. What luck!!! They'd only been there 5 minutes and already pixie dust was coming their way. This was when I finally got through my head to not stress, calm down, and enjoy the experience through the kids' eyes.

Now you have to understand that in the "real" world back home Jake is the outgoing one and has never met a stranger and Bekah while she has personality by the gallons is much more shy and afraid to talk to new people so I figured this would be the way it was at Disney when it came to meeting the characters and joining in to things. Wow, were we in for a surprise. As soon as they picked the kids out Jake freaked out and ran to his dad and hid while Bekah didn't hesitate for a secnd and ran righ tout into the street and joined in. We tried ot get Jake to go, but he refused and we didn't want to force his so the CM told my mom and I we should go out there so we did. It was fantastic!!! We were all dancing and acting silly and the Mad Hatter pointed to my mom specifically and started having her copy these crazy dance moves. then it became a game between the two of them to see who could out dance the other. Haha

Bekah rna righ tup to Chip or Dale.....sorry I can never remember which one is which......anyone know which one this is? She started dancing with him and when it was finally over and they started to leave that girl wasn't going to stop there. She ran after him and gave him a HUGE hug, which unfortunately I didn't catch on camera.

WOW, what a start!!! I need to break for now since the little girl I babysit has just woken up from a nap, but I will continue soon.

Up next: the rest of our first night at MK.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Looks like a great start to your trip. It does kind of stink that you missed the reaction when the kids first saw the castle, but to be honest my DD wasn't too impressed. She just wanted to head for the rides.

Chip is the one with the brown nose. (Chocolate chip) He is my favorite, sorry Dale.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What a great start to a Disney vacation! I know what you mean about staying in a value resort. We have only stayed in a moderate resort and are worried about room size and bus transportation at the values. We are a family of three (me, my husband and a 13 year old) and I think the rooms may be a bit small for us.

We will be arriving a day prior to free dining and I need to book a room for one night. We thought about staying at a value resort for that one night but I just don't know if we want to do it. How was the bus transportation at Pop?

Sorry, let's get back to talking about your trip. Ummm, I'm hoping that this complaining about food pattern doesn't get too terribly bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't.

Yay for the kids getting chosen to participate in the parade. From the way it sounds, all of you had a great time dancing with the characters.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Off to a great start...can't wait to hear more. You crack me up (the comment about sinking to the floor with the soft matress!).
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
Lbg206
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Looks like a great start to your trip. It does kind of stink that you missed the reaction when the kids first saw the castle, but to be honest my DD wasn't too impressed. She just wanted to head for the rides.

Chip is the one with the brown nose. (Chocolate chip) He is my favorite, sorry Dale.

Thanks again for joining in. You're probably right about the castle as far as Jake was concerned. To him it was neat, but it was ALL about the rides and finding Donald the Duck as he likes to call him. For Bekah though she'd been talking about the castle and where Cinderella lives for quite some time so I was most interested in her reaction, but oh well. It was worth it to get to see her and Dale shaking their tail feathers at each other. LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: