Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Trip Report

We took a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas last week (June 19-26, 2010). This is RCCL's newest ship, with its inaugural sailing in December 2009. It also happens to currently be the world's largest cruise ship.

We just got off the ship Saturday, and I thought I'd post some comments about our cruise. I did a little bit of a "live" report (though not as good as one of Radio's or some of the others), which can be found here: Live report

Before we get started, I want to let you know that we may not be your typical cruisers (if there is such a thing). Our family is quite active, and very much into all boardsports (wakeboarding, snowboarding, surfing, skateboarding, Endoboarding - haha). We were on Liberty of the Seas in June 2007 and quickly became addicted to the Flow Rider stand-up. So, when choosing a cruise this year, the Flow Rider was a priority. You might notice that there were many things about Oasis that we didn't experience because a good bit of our time was spent at the Flow Rider. Maybe we're weird, but we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation.

Our cruise was planned as our annual family vacation and to celebrate our 18-year-old daughter, Katie's graduation from high school. We took along her 17-year-old best friend Caitlin and my 47-year-old cousin Kellye. I am 43 and my husband Chris is 38.

Unfortunately, when we booked the cruise, Katie had a previous obligation for Friday night, so I had to book flights in from Austin on early Saturday morning. This stressed me out during the entire pre-cruise planning. Even more unfortunately, Katie's obligation was canceled too late for us to change our flights to Friday without a cost of about $1000 for the four of us. (Kellye lives in Boca Raton and met us at the port.)

Our flight out on Saturday morning was at 5:30am. This meant we had to leave home at 3:30 to be at the airport by 4:30. This meant we went to bed around 12:30am and set the alarm for 2:30. Leading up to a very tiring first day aboard ship.

Our flight was not non-stop. We flew Delta and changed planes in Atlanta. The flight departed Austin on time, but there was a huge mess-up by Ground Control in Atlanta, and when we arrived, there were more planes on the ramp and taxiways than gates, so we had to literally taxi around the airport for 45 minutes. We had only 55 minutes between flights.

I knew that there were 2 later flights from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale that would get us there in time to board by 3:30pm, but I was still stressed. If we missed our flight, so would everyone else who might be trying to make it to Ft Lauderdale, and the later flights might be full.

Ultimately, we pulled into the gate 10 minutes before our second flight left. Our departure gate was directly across from the arrival gate, so that was good. I ran off the plane and over to the gate to let them know the four of us were there. Chris stayed behind to catch the girls. Caitlin left her iPod in her seat and had to wait for everyone to deplane before she could go back, and the gate attendant at the FLL flight kept telling me she was going to release our seats to standbys. All I wanted was to be on Oasis.

Long story, short, we got on our plane and they held it for our luggage to transfer. Whew! We are on our way.

We taxied out on one of the world's busiest and most unorganized taxiways and were soon first in line for takeoff. Then we waited...and waited... and waited.

Finally the Captain came onto the intercom and said "well, we WERE first in line for take-off, but a light came on on the control panel and we can't get it to go off. Please wait for further updates while we check it out." Lovely.

What seemed like an hour later, but was only probably 10 minutes, he told us that the light had been fixed and we were now 7th in line. When we finally got to FLL, we were only 5 minutes behind our scheduled arrival time. Whew, again!

Next time, we WILL arrive a day early and stay in the port city. Lesson learned.

At FLL, our luggage arrived within about 10 minutes and we grabbed a cab to the Port Everglades terminal. As soon as we got around the airport garage, we could see the Oasis. At this point, I was doing my happy dance. So excited about this ship and this vacation.

We met Kellye just outside the terminal, dropping off her luggage, at about 1pm. The energy was phenomenal. Everyone was excited about getting on this ship.

Inside the terminal, we had a short wait at security (maybe 10 people in front of us), then we were off to check-in, where there were NO LINES. We had our Set Sail passes and passports, so check-in was relatively effortless. It took a few minutes to sort out the paperwork and have our Seapasses printed and matched to our photographs.

Then we were off to have our Welcome Aboard picture taken. I had read that this photo is a "must" because they use face recognition to tie to our Seapass cards for the entire party. This way all of our photos during the cruise are linked. More on that later.

Our Seapass cards included our names, some code numbers, our muster station code, the My Time Dining indicator, and our photo binder location. Also, those with the Coke package included a Coca Cola logo. Katie's card had an M2 (Minor 2 for 18-20 year olds) and Caitlin's had an M1 (Minor under 18). Lots of info on those little cards!

So off we went up the escalators and onto the gangway. By the way, to this point, everything was immaculately clean, and there was lots of room in the terminal. Still, no lines.

Next up - first impressions onboard.

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
swwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Kteacher
Not your average kindergarten teacher
Judge Judy stole my iced tea!
REALLY good at keeping secrets

great trip report so far!

Kteacher is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
swwake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kteacher View Post
great trip report so far!
Thank you! Thanks for joining in! I promise I will have pictures!

December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
ontariomonkey
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear more. How do you pronounce Kellye?
ontariomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
swwake

Onboard Oasis of the Seas

After walking up the zig-zagging gangway, we arrived on the outside of the promenade deck, walking backwards (clockwise) around the jogging track. The first thing we noticed was the lifeboat capacity. We were thinking maybe they would hold 150 or so people. Not so...

A few steps later, we turned right and arrived on the Royal Promenade. This was an overwhelming feeling. Finally on the Oasis. Finally on vacation. All the bright, shiny, pretty colors. So much to explore and so much to do.

First, we found our way to our Oceanview Balcony stateroom #9606 to drop off our carry-ons and change to swimsuits. The cabin is mid-ship, a little forward. It's a D2 category, right behind the first hump. Our balcony was angled and a little oversized. We were on the starboard side, which proved to be wonderful at the ports. We loved the location because it was a few floors up from the Promenade (Deck 5), one floor up from Central Park (Deck 8) - where Park Cafe is, and a few floors down from the Solarium and pool decks 15 and 16. We used the stairs most of the time.

A photo of our stateroom:

Next, we explored the Promenade a little.

This photo is from the forward part of the ship, near the elevators and Bolero's. That's Mondo Coffee Bar in the foreground, the On-Air Club and The Shop in the background.

Then we headed to the Park Cafe for our lunch. We walked right in, no lines. Here we were introduced to the famous roast beef sandwich. The man slicing the roast beef posed for me.

The sandwich was very good. I am not a roast beef eater, so I can't say it was the best or worst in the world, but I enjoyed it. Others in our group got a chicken salad (maybe it was build-you-own?) and a ham sandwich. I was pretty excited about the flavored waters.

Although after a couple of days of these, I felt like they were too sweet and I stopped drinking them, in favor of bottled water.

Incidentally, before the cruise, I ordered an 8-pack of Evian water for our room. I put Chris, Katie and Caitlin on the coke plan. I think Chris benefitted from this, but Katie and Caitlin averaged about 1 Coke per day, so I overpaid for this. Who knew the teenagers would opt for tea over Coke? The bottled water came in handy. There were two cold bottles in the mini-bar fridge in the room, which we would grab and replace with our purchased waters. By Tuesday we had drunk all of our bottles, so we purchased another 8-pack. It was nice to have the bottles to walk around the ship, and to take ashore.

Kellye and I shared a mid-level wine package. We ended up having 3 bottles left on Friday, which Kellye was able to take home with her. Not sure if this saved much or not.

Also, I ordered a 4-pack of cupcakes to be delivered to the girls' room. They only ate 1 of them. It was a neat thought, but there was so much else available onboard, and they were rarely in their room.

Next post, I'll add more details about our stateroom.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Thanks for the pictures. we're hoping to do this cruise maybe in 2012. Next year we're in WDW and DLP
Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
Curtis McCrea
DIS Veteran

Great review! I'm enjoying the photos. :D
Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
lucas
°o°

Oh boy! The Oasis of the Seas!

Great report! I'm loving it! We have been on the Explorer and the Voyager of the Seas, we live in South Florida and I really want to try the Oasis.

I read you have to pre-book which shows you want to see and when, prior to the cruise. Is that what ya'll did? It seems it would be hard to make all those decisions before the cruise. On the Voyager and Explorer I really loved going to the ice skating shows. Can't wait to see if you got to see the show on the Oasis.

Thanks for posting your report. Can't wait to read more.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
marypoppinswannabe
Mouseketeer

I have a friend who went on the inaugural (sp?) cruise back in December. He came back with some fabulous pics of it. He loved it!!!

WDW 77 & 81
Off-site -94 & 03
Pop Century -06, 10, 11, 13
marypoppinswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
swwake

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Thanks for the pictures. we're hoping to do this cruise maybe in 2012. Next year we're in WDW and DLP
Oh I highly recommend this ship! If for 2012, also consider Allure. For some sailings, the price is actually a little lower than Oasis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis McCrea View Post
Great review! I'm enjoying the photos. :D
Thanks so much! I have more photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Oh boy! The Oasis of the Seas!

Great report! I'm loving it! We have been on the Explorer and the Voyager of the Seas, we live in South Florida and I really want to try the Oasis.

I read you have to pre-book which shows you want to see and when, prior to the cruise. Is that what ya'll did? It seems it would be hard to make all those decisions before the cruise. On the Voyager and Explorer I really loved going to the ice skating shows. Can't wait to see if you got to see the show on the Oasis.

Thanks for posting your report. Can't wait to read more.
I have been on Sun Viking (old RCCL ship in 1983) and Liberty of the Seas, along with a handful of Carnival ships. This was our favorite ship so far.

You can make reservations for shows online ahead of time, but it's not mandatory. They also have stand-by lines at all the shows. We booked our cruise late (<60 days out), so there weren't many options left for the shows. I did pre-reserve them. I think the standby line for the comedy show had more people than available seats the night we saw it. Other than that, I don't think there were problems getting into shows without reservations. 10 minutes before show time, they release all reservations. We also had one show reservation that we ended up not attending. More on that later...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
dicar123
DIS Veteran

Oh I'd LOVE to go on this boat! Can't wait for the rest of your report!
dicar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I vacation last August on Freedom of the Sea.
I'm excited to read your TR from The Oasis.
I thought the home port was in Tampa, or did it just go there for it's first voyage.
We ordered water too and the 4 of us split a case of water, I think there were 24 bottles.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Kteacher
Not your average kindergarten teacher
Judge Judy stole my iced tea!
REALLY good at keeping secrets

Great photos. I was thinking of booking the Oasis,but decided to do the Enchantment out of Baltimore.I flew a lot this year,and the thought of driving to a port was very appealing!I'm still thinking of booking the Allure or Oasis at some point though

Kteacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Thanks for your TR and photos. What a ship!!!!!!

We are sailing on the Allure March 2011. Can't wait!!!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

Thanks for posting this - I'm interested to hear more about your trip!
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: