Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Signs of Scrappers

A lot of people post questions about how to identify scrappers, so here is a list of some common signs that you have a scrapper. Please post any additional thoughts you have. Also, please refer to the Good/Bad Internet and eBay Pin Sellers Thread to avoid buying scrappers to trade in the first place.

What we mean by Scrapper
  • Lighter weight
  • Off-coloration
  • Dimples in paint
  • Font on backstamp is different than legit pins
  • Rough edges
  • Holes that are cut out on legit pins are filled in with silver (check the picture on PinPics.com)
  • Inaccurate information on the back (check PinPics)
  • Official logo that is out of proportion (compare to a bought rack pin)
  • Oily smell
  • Backstamp crooked
  • If your pin has Mickey Heads stamped into the back the heads should go off the edges....if your pin has a "lip" around the edge it is a scrapper. (thanks pixiewings71)

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!

Last edited by MountNittany; 07-15-2010 at 12:30 PM.
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
MountNittany

If anyone can back me up, if you look carefully at the pin trading logo, the scrappers have a grainy background (like the finish of the pin) inside of the mickey head enclosed area, while the real pins have a flat finish in this area. Did anyone else spot this?

Also, the font is often off or rough looking.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
LET'S GO PENS!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

If your pin has Mickey Heads stamped into the back the heads should go off the edges....if your pin has a "lip" around the edge it is a scrapper.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
If your pin has Mickey Heads stamped into the back the heads should go off the edges....if your pin has a "lip" around the edge it is a scrapper.
Thanks I forgot that... I'll add it too

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
If anyone can back me up, if you look carefully at the pin trading logo, the scrappers have a grainy background (like the finish of the pin) inside of the mickey head enclosed area, while the real pins have a flat finish in this area. Did anyone else spot this?

Also, the font is often off or rough looking.
Nevermind, all of my 2009 Fastpasses have a grainy background enclosed by the mickey head.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
PhantomVirus
Getting to know you all!

While I try to not cross boards/boundaries here is an article I wrote - with photos - showing a real vs counterfeit pin and the now infamous bordered edge vs. clean cut.

h t t p : / / w a l t s b a s e m e n t . y u k u . c o m / t o p i c / 1 1 2 0 9

Thanks!
Ron M.
PhantomVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
While I try to not cross boards/boundaries here is an article I wrote - with photos - showing a real vs counterfeit pin and the now infamous bordered edge vs. clean cut.

h t t p : / / w a l t s b a s e m e n t . y u k u . c o m / t o p i c / 1 1 2 0 9
Thanks for your link. With your permission I will copy the pics over and give you full credit (is this okay?)

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
GoofyTraci
DIS Veteran

does anyone have a copy of two of the same pins that are one a scrapper and one offical? I am not understanding all of this and want to see what the difference may be side by side. thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Spiffie
Wishing to be in my happy place!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post

does anyone have a copy of two of the same pins that are one a scrapper and one offical? I am not understanding all of this and want to see what the difference may be side by side. thanks

If you remove the extra spaces in the above link, he has pictures of both types in his article. Very helpful and easy read.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Scrappers - Then & Now, Piece of Disney History

Oops...posted in the wrong place.

Sorry!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Dom13
Pin Pics Graphics Dept.

I have often found that scrappers have a rough or matte (flat) finish. The paint on legitimate pins should be shiny.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom13 View Post
I have often found that scrappers have a rough or matte (flat) finish. The paint on legitimate pins should be shiny.
For most, yes, I have found that too.

Also, most scrappers show brushstrokes down through the pin. I have seen some real pins with faint lines, but not many.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
jkluttrell
Mouseketeer

Since I know the CM's don't really take the time to know if they are trading a "scrapper" or not (for the most part), is it okay for me to hold the pin and look at it then give it back and say no thank you if I think it might be a scrapper?

Disney vacations: March 1992, Offsite; March 2005, Offsite; October 2010, Caribbean Beach; November 2011, Port Orleans; October 2013, Pop Century; October 2014, Cruise on the Wonder

jkluttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkluttrell View Post
Since I know the CM's don't really take the time to know if they are trading a "scrapper" or not (for the most part), is it okay for me to hold the pin and look at it then give it back and say no thank you if I think it might be a scrapper?
I have done that before and the CM was fine with it.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkluttrell View Post
Another good recommendation is to ask the CM if the pin you are looking at was one they started the day with or was is it one that they traded during the day. Keep in mind this is not foolproof.
blockscrappers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: