Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #61
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopArtGal View Post
I've become allergic to Almonds. So I stay away from nuts. Well for now my body is not tolerant of Almonds. I've never had enough to cause an allergic reaction, just discomfort.

It amazes me how in a world where a lot of people are allergic, restaurants don't offer more choices without nuts.

my brother was long into his 30's when he developed his alergy to nuts and my father was in his 70's when his nut allergy hit him hard miking his face swell up like a balloon.

i'm shocked how it doesn't have to be something from birth but can develop at any age.

it's funny before Cassie was tested i didn't take note how little there is and how often "may contain" is on packages. Now it's the first thing she asks when offered something. "Mummy are there nuts in here" or even better if it's a package "Mummy does it say "may contain" " she's been doing it for a year now.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #62
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Tuesday

EMHam for Magic Kingdom. Up and out by 7.10 and still managed to miss the opening with Mickey. We were having breakfast at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary at 10am so we decided to park there since we would be leaving the park right after breakfast. Rather then walking (which I suggested) Patrick wanted to take the monorail since we wouldn't have another chance this week. It's about a 7 or 8 minute ride around the lake which still gets us to the entrance by 7.30 - still plenty of time to see Mickey and all his friends come into Main Street on the train and do their opening show

So how'd we miss it??? We got stuck Not even a minute or two after we left the Contemporary and about 2 to 3 monorail lengths to the Ticket and Transportation Centre we stopped. A few minutes ticked by and an announcement was made that we were waiting for the monorail in front of us to move past the station. More minutes and more minutes. We finally started moving, filled up at the TTC, Poly and Floridian before reaching MK at...... 8.00 on the dot. Not bad for getting to the park when it opened but we missed Mickey.

On the plus side we walked in and had 2 photographers take our pics in front of the castle. one right by the statue of Mickey and Walt and one half way up Main street

Being that it was EMHam for resort guests we pretty much walked on to Snow White, It's A Small World, Peter Pan, Philharmagic, had our picture taken with Snow White then waited a few minutes for Frontierland to open at 9am and while every single person in that huge crowd was heading to Splash Mountain, we turned left at the base of it and walked onto Pirates, and Jungle Cruise before leaving for our 10.30 reservations at Chef Mickey's

Breakfast was very nice. We didn't have to wait long before being shown to our seat which happened to be only 2 tables along from where we sat last year. When we left I did ask how to get into a different section the next time we come and was told the section we'd like is called the "Cove".

We weren't sitting long before the music started playing, napkins started waving and Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto came out to great their guests. After meeting with the "fab five" we took our time with breakfast finished up around 11.30.

Cassie and Patrick pretending to be the stepsisters

Knowing that we wouldn't be spending a lot of time back a resort before heading over to Epcot for dinner at Chef de France at 4.40. I didn't want to head back too soon since I knew Cassie would want to go swimming so we wondered around the Contemporary for a little bit before heading out.

We arrived back at the French Quarter, showered, changed and headed over to Epcot. This time we took the Disney bus (the first and only time this trip) thinking it would be easier but turns out Epcot is not the park to take the bus to since the bus makes several stops at Port Orleans Riverside after picking us up before heading to Epcot then the bus stop is just as far if not further then we would have been if we walked so we didn`t save time or distance taking the bus.

During the walk in we tried to hide as much as we could in the shade and arrived in France about 4pm. The first time we`d actually be on time for a reservation this trip. I tried checking us in but found out that they actually close after lunch and don`t reopen again until 4.30 so we decided to buy Cassandra a parasol. She chose a dark pink one and we had the castle, a pair of ballet shoes and a ballerina painted on along with her name. She loves it.

Not too much longer of a wait and it was time to check in to Chef de France and before long our name was called and we were seated. Our seats weren't in the main restaurant but in the covered porch area. A nice place in the winter I'm sure but pretty hot in the summer. Our server was from Paris and very nice.

Being in France I ordered the French Onion Soup for my starter as did Patrick. Cassandra had the cheese pastry which was good but she didn't eat much of it. Both Patrick and Cassie ordered fish for their main course, Patrick's being Salmon and Cassie's being a white fish (sorry don't remember which one). I had roasted chicken. I do wish I liked different foods because I eat a lot of chicken but that's just me. Cassandra is becoming a finicky eater. It used to be easy to get her to eat but not we have to play all kinds of games to get food in her belly and tonight was no exception. Close your eyes and guess what you're eating. From bread to fish and even some of my potatoes and Patrick's salmon. Eventually she had enough to fill her little belly.

Dessert was delicious. Patrick ordered the puffs with cream and chocolate while I had creme brulee (shocking i know) and Cassie shared from both.

During coffee you'll never guess who came for a visit. Our chef. Remy. Yes that's right. We had a visit from the most important chef in Epcot. Though he didn't say much he did pose for pictures and had a few words for us, unfortunately we don't speak mice and Mickey wasn't around to translate so we just nodded and smiled.

With dinner finished it was time to walk around and we headed through the UK and stopped to listen to "The Beatles" for a spell then headed for the front where the wait times are posted.

Wait times for Soarin and Test track were almost 2 hours so we gave up on that idea and instead walked on to Spaceship Earth and Nemo. Cassie had a little bit of a melt down right after getting on the Nemo ride. My fault really. She got on with Patrick and I tried to take a picture of the two of them on their shell car. Before I knew it the people behind us had filled up the next 3 or 4 cars and i jumped on an empty one but by then Cassie was in full hysterics because she thought she was leaving without me not understanding I was just a few cars behind her. Within a few seconds she was screaming for me and trying to jump out of her car. The attendants said i couldn't go grab her which made her scream even more and Patrick lifted her out and I was able to get her. This of course stopped the ride and they were not happy but it's not the first time we've been on rides that have stopped for longer for whatever reason and at least she was now with me. Won't be making that mistake again and she'll always sit in my car if it's just for 2. By the time they ride started up again a few minutes later she was fine and off we went into the deep blue sea.

After Nemo it was time for Illuminations which started at 9pm. Rather then going into the World Showcase again we chose to cop-a-squat in front of the fountain to watch them over the monorail track. We couldn't see the show that happens on the lake or hear the music but we did have a nice view of the fireworks.

When it was done we were about to leave but saw that Spaceship Earth was empty and since Cassandra LOVES that ride we headed back in. She even picked out the details for the little video at the end. After that we left. Cassie was sleeping before we got out of the parking lot.

Last edited by Kurby; 08-10-2010 at 10:28 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #63
Kurby

Wednesday - Animal Kingdom

The one good thing about going to Animal Kingdom in the middle of this heat is that there are TONS of trees to hide under. Not that it helped too much but at least we weren't in direct sun.

We had breakfast reservations at Tusker house in Africa at 10.30 and arrived at the park at about 8.30. We thought we missed the "opening show" with Mickey, Minnie and Pluto but apparently they do 2 shows so it was good timing. we were able to be in the front of all the regular park goers because we were in before the park opens with resort guest perks but we were in the wrong spot and Mickey and his pals drove right past us When it was done and the park open for everyone we stayed put while almost every single person headed to the right for what we guess to be Everest. We went left to Africa and went straight for the Safari. The 20 minute wait didn't seem too long as Disney is famous for their long moving lines that make you think you're actually moving somewhere. Soon enough we were on our 2 week Safari adventure through the savannah of Africa.

Cassie loved the safari and this year she didn't fall asleep. Unfortunately because of some poachers that we went off to chase we ended up going way off course and our safari was cut short. It felt like it was about 20 minutes but that could just be me, I'm sure it was much much longer

After we returned from our shortened safari we headed to Tusker House for breakfast. I just want to say i LOVE the juice they serve. A mix of orange, mango, guava and a few other fruits - yummmmy. Being that today was one of the hottest mornings so far we were totally expecting to spend hours in the cool air conditioned sanctuary of Tusker House and after checking in and meeting Donald we informed our server, Neil, that we would be pushing for the Gilligan's Island Tour package. He had a great sense of humour and asked if that was the planed 3 hour tour or the accidental 7 year tour. After a long though we opted for the 3 hour tour. Neil showed us the buffet then lead us to our table and made sure we knew that Mickey, Goofy and Daisy would come to us even if we were up at the buffet and not to worry about timing. Listening to our server Neil, we headed up to the buffet and started to enjoy breakfast. As promised, it wasn't long before Mickey joined us followed by Daisy and Goofy

When our tummies were full we and long before the 3 hour mark we bid farewell to Neil and Tusker and headed back out into the molten heat that is Florida in the summer and took our time getting to the Tree of life to see Tough to be a bug. Cassie remembered it from last year and was excited to see it again. Patrick too our picture in front of the huge gorilla that we've stood in front of the last 2 times we've brought Cassie down. It's become a tradition to take our picture in front of this carving, marking Cassandra's growth and adventure to the centre of the tree.

When the movie was done we went back to the resort for....... you guessed it.. a swim. One problem. There was a thunder and lightning storm off in the distance as swimming was cut short as the life guards weren't taking any chances. Even though it didn't come close to us it did make for a nice show off in the distance. Since our swim time was cut short Cassie wasn't to take a long bath which she did and then we got ready to head over to Magic Kingdom for our 6pm reservations at Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh and friends.

I've never seen a Disney pool empty

We all had a fun time here. Patrick loves Eeyore, Cassie loves Piglet and I love Tigger and of course we all love Winnie so this was a perfect dinner. It was busy but we were on time (that didn't happen often this trip) and we didn't have too wait too long before we were shown to our table.

I haven't mentioned it before but i would much rather pay the higher price for the character meals then to stand in line anytime but especially during the summer. At least with the character meals you kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. During dinner Winnie, Eeyore, Piglet and Tigger came round for a meet and great and were happy to sign any autograph books and pose for pictures. Cassie loves the personal attention she gets and even likes seeing other kids at the tables near us having their moments.

Dinner was good to pretty good. It's hard to have great buffets but it's a pretty good meal with bonuses.

After dinner we left and bought Cassie her Disney balloon. She's wanted one since last year and I promised we'd buy her one this trip. I thought she might pick the Mickey head inside a larger clear balloon that has a light inside and flickers on and off. Should have guessed she'd pick the Princess one.

By now Main Street was filled with people staking their claim on there little spot on the side walk to watch the parade which wasn't going to start for another hour so we thought it best if we did the same. I really wanted a spot where the Castle would also be seen in the video I was planning on shooting so our options were limited.

I then remembered that for last years parade we managed to get a spot just over the bridge with a clear shot of the castle in the back ground... so off we went to see if we could find a spot there. Lucky us there was room. I asked the lady standing near if she was expecting anyone else as I didn't want to take their spot. She was waiting for her husband but that was i and there was just enough room for the 3 of us as long as Cassie stayed in the stroller.

It's pretty easy for time to pass while your in Disney World. With all the cast members chatting to everyone and people around to talk to e time seemed to pass quickly. Except for the last 10 minutes or so. It turned out where we were standing was right on the edge of the emergence path and we had to stand inside the tape line which we just managed to do. However, dozens of other people didn't want to hear that from the cast member and either tried to push their way into the 1 square foot that was in front of the stroller or just planted themselves in the path. It wasn't until security came that they all finally moved and the path was cleared just moments before the parade came.

This year was a throw back to the 70's and the Electrical Parade was back and it was great.

I don't have any pictures because i used my camera to shoot video -

ENJOY

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7GQHOnhP38

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DawO44luFXU

When the last parade member passed the crowd started to thin out and we started making our way down Main Street to look for a good spot to see the fireworks from. We wandered through some of the shops before popping out about 1/4 of the way down Main Street. With the castle still in view it was a great spot to stand.

This years fireworks have changed from last year. Wishes was gone for the summer and instead Nightastic was in it's place and it was wonderful.

Full Firework Show

Enjoy

as soon as it uploads

We had parked over at the Poly with their valet parking thinking that it would be worth paying for it in order to get back to our car faster since we were exhausted but it turns out it was a 50/50 shot. As the park cleared we thought we'd take a seat near one of the shops to let a lot of people leave the park ahead of us. When we finally left we took one look at the line up for the monorail that came down the hill along the walk way and almost at the exit gate. No thanks. We'll take the boat over. The line wasn't too bad and we thought we just might get into the first one but nope 1 family of 4 in front of us was too many and we were stopped behind them. So we wait for the next one. Which happened to be twice the size as the first and about half an hour later. It was a lovely ride (though a bit loud from the engine that never seemed to get out of first gear) as we dropped off, surprisingly, no one at the Grand Floridian before heading over to the Poly. It wasn't long after that we were in the lobby of the Poly waiting for our car then off to our resort and a much needed good night sleep.

Last edited by Kurby; 08-11-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #64
Kurby

Thursday

We had reservations for Boma at 8am but we were so exhausted from the heat that we slept through the alarm and missed breakfast. When we woke up we decided to grab some McDonald's and head back to the resort for a long time in the pool. As hot as its been I've actually been surprised that the pool isn't packed but good for us. Everyone must be at the water parks. Not long after we arrived Cassie made a friend - Laney and the two of them spent the entire time together until it was time for Laney to go. Since we were missing our morning park and weren't due to be at Epcot for dinner until 4pm we spent the entire morning and into the afternoon just playing in the pool. I love the slide at Riverside

Our reservations were in Japan for Tappen Edo. I've never eaten in this type of restaurant before and really looking forward to it. Even though we got to the park with plenty of time to spare the 102 degrees just slowed us down and as we were approaching "Canada" Friendship boat docked. Knowing that we still had to walk through Canada and the UK then across the bridge to France and Morocco before reaching Japan we decided to give up one the walk and jump on the boat. We docked in Morocco and walked over to Japan. We ended up being 15 minutes late but I can only guess that we would have been much later had we walked with all the stops to get out of the sun.

We checked in and were sent to the waiting section. Meals here are served family style and each table is for 8-10 so we were expecting at least 2 other families maybe more if they were couples. Turns out we were with a couple and a family of 4. I did try to talk to the family (the couple were at the other end of the table) but they just wanted to be on there own. Oh well.

We started with our server handing us hot towels to wash our hands with then took our drink, salad and main course orders. Dinner takes over 2 hours and in our case over 2 1/2 hours but you really don't realize how the time is moving. I knew Cassandra wouldn't eat much if any here so I didn't order her anything but instead said she would share mine. Patrick ordered the shrimp and stake combo and I had the chicken. We thought if Cassie was going to eat anything she could pick and choose from our plates. After our salads our chef came in with his cart full of our dinner goodies. Family style here means that the chef cooks everything together then divides it into portions.

We watched as our chef made a volcano with our onions and have fun with the tails from Patrick's shrimps. After dinner was cooked he bowed and left us to enjoy our meal. The one down side about this type of cooking is that the noodles and veggies are cooked and served long before the meet so you're left with 2 choices. Eat them when they are hot or wait for the meat and let the noodles and veggies go cold. While others waited, we chose to start eating. It was very good and when our meat was ready we enjoyed that too.

We already decided that we were not having dessert here but had made reservations at the Rose and Crown in England for dessert and as it turns out Cassandra's dinner too. Once we finished dinner and paid the bill we bid farewell to our table mates (at least the family. The couple had already left) and headed down the long flight of stairs to the sauna. It was pretty good timing as we were just in time to catch the ending of the drummers. They put on an excellent show and I was glad Cassie had a chance to see some of it. When they were finished we headed over to England and the Rose and Crown.

As much as I love sitting outside for a meal this was not the perfect temp for it but we had a wonderful table with the perfect view of the lake and firework show had it been later and we were staying for them. Even though it was almost 7pm it was still in the very high 90's. By now Cassie was hungry and ordered the cheese pizza while Patrick and I ordered a cup of the potato and leek soup. It wasn't as good as it was last year but still nice. Back in the spring when we made these reservations we had thought that we would also be enjoying dessert but non of us were up to having anything more and since we had planned on going back to the Magic Kingdom for the evening to do Tomorrowland and Toontown we finished up and left. By the time we got back to our resort to change we decided not to go to another park but to start packing instead since we were leaving tomorrow.

this pic looks like it was shot in the day but it was actually dark out

By 10 we were finished packing and brought Cassie out onto the walkway to watch some of the Magic Kingdom fireworks. It's amazing how many and how wide they are. You get a very different perspective of them when you're not on Main Street. I wish that I had my camera and had taken some video of it but everything was all packed up.

Tomorrow we're heading back to Epcot for breakfast with the Princesses and to ride Test Track, Soarin and Living with the Land before heading out.

Last edited by Kurby; 08-11-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #65
tammy
DIS Veteran

Kurby, I am enjoying your trip report. Your daughter is adorable and I love her outfits, so cute.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #66
TiaMaria
DIS Veteran

Your report is great - very descriptive, and with great pictures and video.

Can't wait to hear about your last day and your drive back home.

Were you guys planning on stopping anywhere else on the way home or just straight back?

Looking forward to the Disney Vacation Club Villas at The Grand Floridian Resort!!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #67
Kurby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaMaria View Post
Your report is great - very descriptive, and with great pictures and video.

Can't wait to hear about your last day and your drive back home.

Were you guys planning on stopping anywhere else on the way home or just straight back?

thank you

we had 2 planned stops.

and you thought our adventure with the sand was exciting the adventure didn't stop there.

adventure seemed to follow us this trip and i think we'll fly next time
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #68
Kurby

Friday

Ohhhh what a day. Even though we packed last night we still had to load the car. How is it that 3 people can have soooooo much stuff???? While Patrick loaded up the car I got Cassie ready for the day. This morning we are having breakfast In Norway and then come hell or high water we're going on Test Track and Soarin. I promised Cassie and this was one promise we were not breaking.

By the time the car was loaded and we were checked out Patrick was dripping from head to toe. I'm actually glad today's is our last day and we're heading for 2 days of air conditioned driving before returning to the cooler low 90's temps of home.

The drive from French Quarter to Epcot is less than 5 minutes and it didn't really give Patrick a chance to cool down. But on the up side, I do love getting into the parks before they are open and walking around pretty much alone (with a few cast member exceptions ) The park was empty and we had a lovely, albeit hot, walk to Norway for our 8.30 reservations.

I almost thought we were the only ones with reservations because when we got there one was around. Remembering back to last year, there must have been about 2 dozen families waiting around outside to be called. We checked in and were brought in to see Belle. Low and behold there were families there. However, we were the first to be seated in our section.

Before we even received our juice we had already met Belle, Cinderella and Snow White. But when Ariel came into the room my heart broke just a little. Cassie noticed Ariel looked different than a few days before. What!!! noooooo, she's the same girl honey. No mummy she's different. Yesterday she had a different face. My very smart and very observant girl sees a difference. Not with Cinderella, Belle or Snow White but only with Ariel. I tried to tell her it much just have been the sun through the castle window that made her look different. That seemed to be enough for her, at least for now Funny thing... all the times she met Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and Sleeping Beauty and never a mention - just Ariel who she met for the first time this year.

Breakfast itself was ok. I'm not sure we'll do this meal again the next time we go, unlike breakfast at the castle. I think we'll save our money and only have one breakfast with the Princesses.

After breakfast we headed straight for Test Track and before we went in we grabbed some fast passes with a come back time for an hour later, then waited in the stand by line 20 minute and off we went for Cassie's first ride. She loved it, as i knew she would, which is why i grabbed the fast passes. Cassie sat in the drivers seat and though it was wonderful that we were letting her drive the car, then she asked where the steering wheel was no wheel honey. The ride was fantastic. In the video I shot you can hear her tell me she had never been on Test Track before. By the time we finished the ride and got through all the cars and stuff at the end it was almost time for our fast pass return. So we headed back in for round 2. This time Cassie sat on the passenger side and still loved the ride.

Ride Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a__-yDeKG9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a__-yDeKG9I

Both Cassie and Patrick wanted to go for a 3rd time but by now the standby time was over an hour and the fast pass return time was around 1pm. Neither option was ok so over we went to Soarin. It's a bit of a hike to get from FT to Soarin and by the time we got there the fast pass time was 3pm and standby time was 50 minutes, so, standby it is. The line time did go pretty quick thanks a lot by the game they have where all the people are captured with some camera and we lean from side to side to make things happen on the screen. When we finally got in we were in the centre of the bottom row. Pretty good spot for filming

Living with the land is in the same building as Soarin and that was our next stop. With only a 5 minute standby time (basically the time it takes to walk through the winding line) we were on and off before long. It's an interesting ride that you have to do at least once a trip.

Full video of Soarin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjC-p9v_xM

After that we headed over to Beaches and Cream for a late lunch. Even with a 2pm lunch we still had to wait about 30 minutes for a table. Very popular restaurant. Patrick and I both had the cheese burger which was yummy and Cassie chose the hotdog which she inhaled before we were even half done lol. We all had icecream sundae's for dessert and off we went to the car.

Our nights destination was Savannah, GA and we're expecting to arrive around 9.30pm. The drive was pretty uneventful once we got out of the Orlando rush hour traffic and we arrived just past 10pm.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #69
TiaMaria
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
thank you

we had 2 planned stops.

and you thought our adventure with the sand was exciting the adventure didn't stop there.

adventure seemed to follow us this trip and i think we'll fly next time
Oh boy, see that's how you leave me wanting more, lol. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Looking forward to the Disney Vacation Club Villas at The Grand Floridian Resort!!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #70
TinkerbellsMom0923
DisneyFreak

Great trip report. My kids are now 17 and 20 and grew up going to Disney every year. I miss the younger kids but the older ones are fun too. Ah the memories...
The 4 of us were at Disney for a week in January and just my 20 year old son and I are going for a week in September. Husband has to work, daughter has school. My son esp is a Disney freak and loves it there.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #71
Kurby

I can't believe it's over but here's our final installment for this years trip.

Saturday

After arriving in Savannah we were expecting a straight drive home. Looking at the weather for the next 2 days in America it looks clear, warm and sunny for 95% of our driving time. Great driving conditions. Some rain is expected during the evening however we're either going to be long past where it hits or shouldn't have too long a drive in it before stopping for the night.

8am rolls around and we already know we don't like the breakfast here at this hotel so off we go to find Mickey D's before heading out to the interstate highway. Since our stop in Canonsburg PA is further then we thought, we decide to get our breakfast in the drive through and keep going. We have a great set up for Cassie with a collapsible table that when she's not using as an eating table she can use to draw on, look at a book or bang into the back of my seat

It doesn't take long to get on the highway and get the cruise control flipped on to make driving more comfortable for me (I say for me because of my motion sickness I can't sit in the passenger side for much more then 15 -20 minutes before needing to get back in the drivers seat so I do most if not all of the driving on all our holidays).

Normally a day of driving is not really note worthy but today is different.

We stop for lunch around 1pm at Sonny's which I had never been to before and was pleasantly surprised. Cassie decides to through caution to the wind with her order of............ Grilled Cheese. At least she got a corn on the cob to go with it. Being disappointed in Savannah with Southern BBQ I wasn't sure how this would go but i chose the BBQ ribs with corn bread and a baked sweet potato for my lunch and Patrick opted for the BBQ pulled pork and chicken combo with corn bread, mac and cheese side and bean side. The amount of food that came could have fed a family of at least 5. It was very good and is a place we would stop in at again.

and my lunch time entertainment of silly faces

After lunch we were off and running again. And with no plans of stopping for dinner we should make it in to Canonsburg around 9pm. A long day of driving but we knew that today would be our longest day of driving because we wanted to get through the mountains in the day light and pop out on the other side just as evening was descending. This was unfortunately not going to happen.

Traffic started slowing down around 4pm, which was unusual, at least for us. All the times we've driven down to Florida we've always done it on the weekend and never had any problems on the interstates. By the time 5pm rolled around and we were only travelling about 10 miles an hour we were starting to look for options. The GPS was now saying that we should arrive at our hotel around 10pm but looking forward and seeing the miles and miles of cars lined up in front of us that didn't look very likely. I decided to change the setting for the GPS from "fastest" to "most direct". If we got off I77 and took the more scenic route it would get us in around 10.45. Now the debate. What to do. Stay on I77 and hope that the miles of stop and start traffic clears soon and we're on the road again or get off and go on the slower speed wise but more direct route. Too late, we miss the exit but the option is still there if we get off at the next exit 5 miles down the road. It gives us a chance to see how slow this traffic is moving and pick a route.

When it takes more then 30 minutes to get to the next exit we decide to get off. 11.30 is not our target time. This turns out to be a HUGE mistake. Never EVER get off a major interstate highway for a local one.

As beautiful and scenic as they daylight driving was turned into a nightmare pretty fast when the sun went down. Oh and GPS doesn't know when a connector road has been closed and is now a private road with a sign that says "Trespassers will be shot then questioned" As Canadians with a 4 year old that scared the crap out of us and we quickly turned around and high tailed it out of there.

After finding the highway again we were winding our way through the mountains until all of a sudden from behind me a little voice says "mummy i don't feel well". Oh honey I know. We're in the middle of no where winding our way through the mountain, when we can we'll stop for a stretch. Not soon enough and she throws up. Faster then you can say STOP we did. 15 minutes to clean up Cassie, the seat and the floor and off we go again. Poor child. Not sick from the twisting and turning but I think a bug invaded her little tummy.

It's not long before Cassie is sleeping and it's a good thing. As night falls, the vast darkness becomes apparent. Even with the headlights on it's frightening thinking about just where we are. To add insult to injury the heavens opened up and the rain that we knew we would either miss all together or just hit the tail end came. Eventually, and after hours of being alone on the road, signs of life could be seen in the rear view mirror as 2 cars come into site and then pass us. As long as i can see their little red tail lights I'll be happy because it will give us an indication of the way the road is twisting. Every once and a while someone in the other direction would come screaming passed (gotta love the local drivers) and blind us with their bright lights then vanish again in the rear view mirror just as fast.

Eventually the rain stopped and we all stopped for gas. I thanked what turned out to be a couple of families travelling together for helping me navigate the roads even though they didn't know it. The families stayed behind as we left and hopped our drive along this twisty road wouldn't be much longer.

Ahhhh what's that ahead??? A little town. Ohhh and a police man. And hundreds..... no thousands of cars coming at us in the opposite direction. What on earth is going on here. Oh don't tell me the highway is closed. Nope, Apparently there was some celebration going on in the town we just passed through though we never saw anything and all these cars are heading right for it. Fine by me as long as it's "THAT" way and not our way.

When we finally wind our way to the highway we are very glad we are heading out of town and not into it. The line up of cars to get off at that exit literally numbered in the hundreds and the amount of headlights we could see heading off on the side we were on must have been the same. We never did find out what was going on but I bet it was amazing.

Now off the 2 lane windy road and onto an actual 6 lane highway with cars and people I'm starting to feel better about driving through the mountain. A few more hours driving and I'm exhausted so even though I almost never do it I ask Patrick to take over. It's now 12.00am and it's pretty straight driving. I just need to close my burning eyes for half an hour. It wasn't long before I was sound asleep and dreaming of a nice warm bed. Turns out we were not too far from our hotel in Canonsburg and in a little less then an hour we were pulling up the very long driveway of the Homewood Suites. While you could see the hotel (in daylight) from the Interstate it is a bit off the road. Infact it took over 10 minutes to actually find our way to it once we left I79

We really liked this hotel. It's very family friendly and each room is like an apartment. Our room was very spacious and in a beach location or in a down town city location it would be a great place to stay for a few days but since Canonsburge is a drive thou city for us we don't see it being more then a first night stop if we got a jump on our trip and left late one day instead of early the next morning. It is only 6 hours from home and that includes the wait at the boarder.

Since we were only 6 hours from home a nice sleep in was in order. With a 9.30 wake up call ( just enough time for breakfast) and less then 30 minutes after we pulled up the driveway and we were in our room and fast asleep. It doesn't take long for 3 exhausted travellers to go down.

Sunday.

Of course sleeping in depends on the person. While Patrick and I would have liked nothing more then to be woken up with a telephone call telling us it was 9.30 and this was our wake up call, Cassandra had other plans. 7.30 and she's up and looking for the tv remote. It doesn't take long for her to find it and figure out what button turns on the TV and up the volume. What's the saying? oh ya. "I'll sleep when I'm dead".

Now that we're up we might as well shower, dress and head down for breakfast. When we were finished we headed back up to collect our things and head out for the final leg of the trip home.

On our way home we stopped into the Deny's off the I95 in Angola NY. A great place for us to stop as it's about 2.5 hours from home. Plenty of time to get out, stretch, have a bit to eat and relax knowing we're almost home.

Here's a few pics from our stop

Thank god today was pretty uneventful and we arrived home just about dinner time like we had expected.

A very hot, tiring, packed and eventful trip but looking back......... totally worth it.

Weeks later and Cassandra will mention some part of the trip be it something we did in Disney or one of the other cities we visited.

Lessons learned. While eventful trips may be hard on the patients they are the ones that are remembered.

Hope you enjoyed our Quebec and Disney trip report. See you in our next one

Karen

Last edited by Kurby; 08-21-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #72
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed reading your report. The pictures in Quebec at the restaurants made me smile. It was as if your husband and Aunt were food models! You are far braver than I am with all that time in a car! Looks like a great trip. Hopefully you have finally been able to cool off!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #73
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

I'm lucky for now. If it says may contain traces, I can eat it,

I'll Have Coffee With A Side of Monorail - July PTR
My YouTube Channel
2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),, 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #74
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

On a side note, I just are Nutella and realized my days of eating it might soon be over lol

My YouTube Channel
2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),, 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #75
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

As much as I enjoy characters breakfasts, I realized that I prefer Tusker House to Chef Mickey's now. So we may be trying out other options next time

Great times at Epcot and MAgic Kingdom. I never saw Snow White there!

My YouTube Channel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: