Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
summer0407
Mouseketeer

Newbie Question about MM and APs

I am still pretty new to the site and trying to figure things out I am sure these questions are dumb so I apologize in advance. I read the AP calendar and I want to make sure I see it correctly are the APs blocked out the first few weeks of August? Does this mean crowds may be a bit more bearable? We are going the first week of August. Also are the MM on Tue and Thurs? We won't be there on a weekend so are these days my choices we have a 3 day park hopper so I know I only get 1 morning we are staying off site. Thanks again for all your help!
summer0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

There are five different types of AP for Disneyland/DCA: three of which have black out dates. The two Southern California APs are blocked for much of August, while the Deluxe is only blocked on Saturdays. The LA school district is still on summer vacation. Overall, I would think that weekdays will be less busy than the weekend days, but I would still expect the parks to be busy.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

MM days are the S and T days. So, TuesThursSatSun. Unless there's a grad night in there, but I think we're past those dates now.

Remember, they block out AP holders because they already anticipate that the number of normal ticket holders is going to be high high high. They are trying to *reduce* the number of people there, on those busy busy days. So if AP holders are blocked, know that the number of ticket-holders is already anticipated to be up there.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

I think you will be fine, but I don't know your definition of "bearable." I think your time to go will be very nice, with moderate crowds and pretty much all possible entertainment/rides up and running. In June 2009 we went when the parks were very crowded. So I tend to consider any day where Space Mountain's afternoon wait hovers around 40 or 50 minutes to be pleasant, and any less than that and it's a "light" day! (You will presumably be using Fastpasses, so you will never have to wait that long, even if the parks are packed. I just use it as a gauge.)

IF you were going right after the two Southern California passes get off their blockouts, crowds would be near capacity every day. For your dates, sure, there will be crowds to contend with, but if you read up on the DISboards you will know how to handle the parks, and you will be fine.

Have a great time!
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

We have been the first week of August each of the last three years. To give you some perspective, we have also been before SoCal blockouts in June twice, during Thanksgiving week and spring break numerous times, and other peak times such as Memorial Day, President's Day, New Year's Eve, and October weekends at Halloweentime. We have found August crowds much better than all of this except maybe Memorial Day and President's Day. So we find August crowds bearable. You're not going to walk up to rides and find 15 minute waits in the middle of the day, but you're not going to be wall-to-wall people either.

The thing about August, of course, is that it can be quite hot. We're used to hot, living in Northern CA, but with all of the extra activity of Disneyland and all of the extra bodies and concrete around, we tend to find the heat pretty draining and find ourselves taking longer middle of the day breaks in the summer. This is ok though since we can often get so much done in the early morning and then can go back and enjoy the cooler evening temperatures and use our collected fastpasses or watch some evening shows.

And, yes, MM are Tues and Thurs. My personal philosophy about MM is to do it earliest in your trip when you're still fresh and energetic. Sometimes it can get hard for the kids to keep getting up earlier later in a trip, especially if they stayed up late the night before to see Fantasmic/fireworks/WOC.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer0407 View Post
I am still pretty new to the site...
I would check out the HydroGuy Tips Compilation (link) and take some time to read his FastPass threads.

Learn how to collect FPs in the morning, to use later in the day.

HTH

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
summer0407
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much I appreciate all the great info!
summer0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aps, crowds, magic morning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: